• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you love your country?

blue

gucci
    Years
    Clearly not since there are so many other places I'd prefer to live than here right now. I don't despise where I live, but after visiting different countries I can definitely see the advantages those places have over here, namely the weather.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I guess I'm proud of Canada? Our dollar is really bad right now, and, supposedly, economists who have predicted its decline in the past have predicted even more decline for the future. So, that's really not fun. It gives me a little motivation to move and work in another country.

Other than that, I live in a fairly large city in Canada, which I like. Taxes here are fairly high but free health care and all that jargon makes it worth it. Canada is such a large country that it's tough for me to be proud of it as a whole. I've only been to three provinces, and one of them only one time. But hey, from what I've seen, I'm pretty proud. Tough not to be when there are much worse countries out there, relatively speaking.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Not particularly. I like where I live, but the things I like about where I live have less to do with my country, and more to do with the city I live in and maybe the state (e.g. I live in a pretty nice, quiet, peaceful town that also has some nice stuff to do within a short distance). I'm not really sure where my country plays an immediate role in my daily life, so meh, my attitude towards my country is just "whatevs" :P
    That's me as well.

Except I don't particularly like or dislike where I live. I'm just here and I exist. Where I happen to be doesn't matter to me, as long as the climate isn't ridiculously cold and the culture isn't hostile. I don't really know any other place, as I've lived here most of my life. But I find it immensely difficult to be able to judge an entire country, especially one as large and diverse as the United States. Whatever problems this country has are pretty much ones that are more broad and general problems of humanity as a whole, at least that I know of. So that makes me overall neutral to it. I am thankful though of the amenities I am able to have living in a first world country like this. At least I can eat and exist in a space comfortably without much concern for my survival. That's all I find relevant.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Meh. Im not patriotic or anything at all. Our government doesnt exactly do good things: subsidizing the rich, bombing children, massive theft, taking away rights, etc. And both major political parties are absolute crap- doing all of the above year after year. And more. #'Merica

And the unfortunate thing is- the people support this. This system of majority rule is terrible.

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
    I HATE IT

Sorry for that, but i just dislike it. It has a high crime rate, people are offensive and untolerable, and it's just an ugly country. Some people look at it and say "wow beautiful forest soccer omg butts" but no. It's nothing like that. (Although the butts, i must say, it's kind of true) But still, it's really bad. I'm lucky i live in the calmest region. I just wanna move as fast as i can. ;-;

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Yes, I do love my country. Very much in fact.

Is it perfect? No, far from it! For example the politicians, especially in recent years, are atrocious! There is also a lot of problems with how people treat other people, as well as the media blowing things out of proportion that don't exist (but that conversation would be for the round table)

But this country stands for something. A lot living here will say that something died a long time ago but the huge amount of people still coming here to live, visit, and experience would suggest otherwise.

Now I want to say that what I love the most is my world, and I deeply believe the only way to ensure her survival is to do away with the concepts of countries, religion, etc and come together away from these man made concepts that are nothing but excuses for war. But again, that's more round table conversation...

All in all, I'm proud of my country and what it stands for, and as long as countries exist, I will proudly have the colors hanging outside my home!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Well it's a lot easier to be "patriotic" or love your country when you consider the alternative!

As a Canadian, I can look to our southern neighbors... or as a Hong Kong immigrant, I can look back at HK and how it's doing with China. When those are two highly realistic possibilities of where I could've ended up at, I surely love it here in Canada.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    After having lived outside of America for almost two years and looking at an inescapable third year, I have to say-- I love my country. Yeah it's politics are messed up and I'd really like to come home to a president that isn't the most bizarre candidate in years, and yeah we have a lot of social issues (that aren't even half as bad as they are in Japan), but I think living in America is a lot less emotional and societal pressure. You're so much freer to express yourself and your thoughts. The fact that people are even able to talk about social issues is something to commend America for in and of itself. (And if you think American police are corrupted then I got NEWS for you and it comes in the form of OUR popos LOL.) I mean it's not right to compare countries, and America's not perfect by any stretch. But I definitely love living there- being away from America for so long really puts all the nice things about the country in perspective.

Last edited:

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
    I live in a country that is still struggling through its own adolescence. That makes it quite hard for someone like me to love it. I remember a time when I would flat-out lie about where I live to my international friends for fear that its connotations would be printed onto my own identity. Silly that, but it's something I believe is true of every country - there exists a margin of distortion between what the inhabitants of any given nation experience and think about their land and what outsiders perceive of it remotely. Chief component in this distortion, as ever, is media coverage and slanted representation.

Years
    I actually love my country but not obsessively. Personally im proud of our History although we do definitely have very dark times in our history but what country doesn`t.
    Although my opinion may be slightly influenced by Hetalia haha.
    Although I am not really impressed with our leaders David Cameron as he is made a mock of by literally everyone and the MPs getting extra pay rises is extremely bad as well.

Years
    I could not be more proud of any other country. I feel safe and accepted, and there are plenty of opportunities for a good life. It's more or less clean and there's plenty of nature. There's the big city, small towns, and open country all within a couple hours' drive. The city I live in is home to hundreds of cultures, and there's honestly no other place that feels quite the same.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I think I like my country, I'm grateful that I'm living in a country that have a pretty wide coverage over the archipelago. Even though there are two things that I'm not fond of when I'm living here (like hazey weather, or blackout that I experienced recently), I'm still proud of my nation, and hope that it will be just like any successful countries like USA, Singapore, Australia, Japan and the others.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I love living in New Zealand but there are definitely it's pros and cons. I don't think I started to really appreciate my country since I came back from visiting America 4 years ago tbh.

Most obvious, the environment and scenery here is great and the air feels really fresh and relaxing. Everyone is really friendly here most of the time and things are so laid back here which is great. The atmosphere is great and the city I live in has an awesome vibe - not to mention living in the film capital here is pretty cool. Also we have more sheep than people xD

Of course there still the bad stuff like a lot of things are expensive - not to mention shipping to and from NZ pretty much costs your soul. Internet is pretty terrible here too and it doesn't help when I'm trying to play games with online friends. Not to mention a Prime Minster who thinks that spending millions of dollars on changing out flag is totally the most important issue of NZ in this current time -.-

the problem with nz being so laid back is that the general public is unlikely to care about anything except three things; SPORTS! FOREIGNERS EXISTING! and MY TAXPAYER DOLLARS ARE GOING TOWARDS WHAT?

rather embarrassing

Years
    I do enjoy being a born-and-bred Australian, especially with our culture, passion for sport, entertainment, and especially being a literal island (because I love water). Like Zakisrage, I don't like the racism because it kinda makes people feel uncomfortable, even moreso given the Aboriginal people tend to be victims of said racism.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Eh... I wouldn't say I HATE my country. If we get trump into office, then yes, I'm not exactly going to be pleased. In fact, I just might have to move to either Canada or the United Kingdom. Either that or be all like this:

Do you love your country?

Adore

Party.
    Years
    It definitely isn't without its problems. The growing trend of authoritarianism is pretty scary, especially when it gives racist morons nuclear launch codes. I also really do despise that most people think freedom of speech = freedom from consequences/criticism for what one says. All the constitution says about freedom of speech is that the government can't arrest people for what they say. But unfortunately it's mostly just used to free racist uncles from accountability for their rants at Thanksgiving dinner.

But I couldn't see myself living anywhere else. On a local level, everything is a conveniently short walk or drive, cities are designed logically, the climate is lovely, and infrastructure is decent. But maybe I'm biased because I live in the best state. ;)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I enjoy living in America and am grateful for the life I've lived in this country. I've been blessed greatly, I'd say thanks to the country I was born in, and I'll be heading into a career field I can't really do anywhere else. :P I love the diversity of America as well. I can drive a few hours north and be in forests. Few hours south and I'm at the beach. East, mountains. West, ocean. Big, diverse cities with diverse cultures. It's great.

in b4 someone forces me to acknowledge all of America's issues. I know it's got problems and plenty.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    I like America, I just hate most of the people in it. I hate our obsessive gun-nut culture where some people would rather die instead of giving up their AK-47s, I hate how big of a margin of religious people we have here - although that is slowly changing as more people become Atheists, I hate the rampant racism that happens throughout most of the South and even some of the other parts of the country - even if it is veiled racism, I hate the lack of deep thinkers and people that think logically, this is mainly caused because people would rather think with their emotions and religion over what should be done. A good example is immigration reform. All logic says we need to reform our immigration and the best thing we can do right now is grant citizenship to all 'illegals' who have followed the law and worked hard since coming here, and deport the criminals. But people would rather think with their emotions and say "NO WAY! DEPORT ALL THE ILLEGALS!!!" instead of thinking of it rationally.

I hate how we're owned by a majority of rich corporations, I hate how biased our media is, I hate that people are so obsessed with bringing one another down, I hate how things like equality for women, gay rights, transgendered/other LGBT rights, minority rights, etc. are SUCH big issues when they shouldn't be. It doesn't take a genius to realize that everyone deserves equal rights, unfortunately our country is full of Xenophobes that are dragging this along.

I hate that things like marijuana are illegal because they give money to the DEA, I hate the way our election system works... but most of all, I hate most of the people here. The entitled, privileged rich kids who get away with things like killing people because they're rich (Affluenza BS), the kids that go on Twitter and say "YEAH! GO TRUMP! DEPORT ALL THE MEXICANS!" as well as rant about how bad gay people are. The people who get joy out of making others feel bad. And unfortunately, we have a LOT of those people.

I love the concept of America. I love that we have so much diversity and honestly, as cliche as it might sound, I love the freedoms we have. Yes, we don't have 100% freedom, we can't go out and do WHATEVER we want, however we have the freedom to do a lot of things here. Yeah, America sucks, but it sucks less than a lot of other countries. I hope we can fix this country, and I definitely think Obama has put us in the right direction and Bernie Sanders will take us even further.

That said, I would prefer living in Canada, Norway, Sweden, The United Kingdom, The Netherlands or Germany. They seem so much more Liberal and Progressive. That's the kind of place for me, a Liberal utopia. Then again, I do live in California - which I love.

Back