• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Restart Your Game?

Years
    I ask those that have an actual, non-emulated game, where the old save file is erased before starting over: do you do that? Why or why not?
    ---
    I do not do that. Ever. The very thought... I get attached to my Pokémon, I imagine them with personalities, they hold memories for me - I revisit them in an old game of mine and I remember my childhood. I could never delete them.

And that was before we got Amie, Refresh and Camp. Now they're even more like adorable digital pets.

EDIT: I should note I only ever got one main series game in a generation. I never wanted the third version if I had one of the first two, and I never had a remake (would've gotten Omega Ruby if I'd had a 3DS).

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I do, I just make sure that there's nothing valuable on it first, transfer all the ones I wanna keep up to a different game so they aren't lost.

Not ever deleting my Pearl file though, that's the one time I completed the whole National Dex, so I need that to stand as is. I have Platinum anyway so whenever I feel like going through Sinnoh I use that instead.

pkmin3033

I have restarted a few Pokemon games, once I've transferred everything I want to keep onto another game. Although I don't restart Pokemon games very often because most of them I don't really want to play more than once...they're very much one-time-only games for me.

Years
    nahhhhh. i've sunk too much time in my pokemon games to really completely start over. i know once i'm completely done with playing a pokemon game (meaning i've grown bored of doing even the post-game), restarting doesn't even cross my mind.

Years
    I didn't for Pokemon Red...my little sister however *sighs* restarted my game & left me with a lv 5 Bulbasaur named Buddy.

I did restart my Silver very frequently when I felt my team wasn't up to snuff. Idk

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Depends on the game. I still have original game files in Pearl, Platinum, Leaf Green, and Y, and anticipate I won't be deleting my Shield save data. White 2, I restarted once or twice before settling on a permanent save file. I oughta fire up and check each of those games to ensure that data is still intact.

I bought a second copy of Leaf Green strictly for restarts so I can play through again without deleting my original data.

Years
    I do restart alot. I do this because I like to go out journeying battling trainers, gym leaders, and visiting cities.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    For the modern games I've only played them each once, I didn't love any of them enough for a second playthrough (unless you count playing both Sun and UM). I replay the Gen 1-5 games every once in a while, usually on ROMs.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I restart often. The only time I was hesitant was on my Leaf Green cartridge, since it was my first Pokemon game ever. And Ultra Sun, because I had traded every team onto it. I still restarted both.

There's the sadness that I might lose something valuable, like a shiny Pokemon or old team members. However my hesitation is gone when I realize these things are simply sitting in the box, likely forever. If I want to replay, it's becomes silly to withhold it for old Pokemon that I'll probably never use again. Also, when I restart, I may find something equally valuable.

Last edited:
    Years
    I tend to do re runs so restart the games, before Poke Bank I used to and was a bit gutted everytime but now I got all my squads in my Poke Bank so restart freely except for Black as I use that as a portal for gen 4 to Poke Bank

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Yes, quite often. I always make sure my main Pokémon aren't on the file while I delete it, I either trade them to another game or put them in the Pokémon Bank.

BananaBreadGuy

Displeased rodent
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2020
    I did for my Diamond cartridge before giving it to my little sister (who never really played it), and my Moon cartridge before trading over my starter, Lunala and a few others and gave that to my older brother (who did play it all the way through), but i don't anymore since i either use custom firmware to backup saves or emulators.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i always get both games when they come out so i tend to use one to store stuff and the other to restart for replays. if a third version comes out, then i usually end up w two copies of that version in case it's better to keep stuff there. haven't had to worry about that in recent generations though lol

Kazetori

Vaporeon Trainer
    Years
    I also got super attached to my Pokemon so I never could reset a game. Now I feel like I could if I REALLLLY wanted to because of PokeBank, but haven't got that itch too strong just yet haha

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
    Years
    Only time I do it is if I have a second game/cartridge and wanna do another playthrough, and I always make sure to take out all of the Pokemon and stuff I care about beforehand.

The 'main' game never gets reset though. Never.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I do, but never when it's the first game in the series I played, or any of the games after generation five. I would never start over my Pokemon White, Pokemon Heartgold or Black2 copies, I put so much work into those, and wouldn't wanna ever start over on them. But everything else is fine, I'll restart them every once in awhile to try out challenges or something.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I did before since after the completing the main game, I'd just want to go through it again with a different team of pokemon. The Switch makes its easier by having save files connected to profiles so I can just create a new one if I wanna start a fresh game.

Back