• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Do you still believe in one another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Some of my favorite games are RCT2, Pharaoh, Caesar III, Age of Empires (RoR + AoC/AoEIIHD), Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Minecraft (no hardware or bandwidth for that though), and ofc Pokémon. I'm pretty much 100% #PCMasterRace say for those pokemans

Oh, and I also like RuneScape. I'm a total oldfag about it, though there are people farther back than me. I quit at the end of 2011 and joined around 2007 so I'm not a tr00 oldfag but nonetheless I hate EoC like pretty much every other human on the planet

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Speaking of Donkey Kong, I've seen a couple of game hosts picking Tropical Freeze as their game of the year, despite hearing mixed opinions from the DK community due to the lack of Kremlings. One of my relatives also stated that the only way DKC will get a true revival is if Rare is back.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    My dad likes to refer to Donkey Kong as anecdotal reference that I should go along with his undeniably conservative idea that video games are somehow extremely unhealthy. He's the most conservative Democrat I've ever seen, and he calls it King Kong because like all people dying of terminal old they mix up names between action movies from the 1950s and arcade games from the 1990s because fuck memory for things amirite

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Idk if Rare could save anything. Everyone looks back at games like DKC, Banjo Kazooie and so on and just think of Rare as this company that churned out masterpieces...but they're more of a company that got lucky with some amazing franchises. Look at all those horrible LJN games they developed *shudder*. Besides, aren't the main people that made those same games amazing a part of various Nintendo 3rd party groups?

Also, DKC2 is the otp...one true platformer.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Idk if Rare could save anything. Everyone looks back at games like DKC, Banjo Kazooie and so on and just think of Rare as this company that churned out masterpieces...but they're more of a company that got lucky with some amazing franchises. Look at all those horrible LJN games they developed *shudder*. Besides, aren't the main people that made those same games amazing a part of various Nintendo 3rd party groups?

Also, DKC2 is the otp...one true platformer.
    That is true, though I'm not sure if my relative knows that either. Whenever I see something DK-related, I always think of one of the three things: Dankey Kang, That Really Rustled my Jimmies, and Expand Dong.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I had more of an issue with Donkey Kong Country Returns than the old games. The game got too easy with the amount of lives you could get. It's a pretty game though, if that still counts for anything.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    There's nothing wrong with Retro's work on Donkey Kong Country. Kremlings is simply cosmetic. The game play is there, solid, and refined.

Sir Codin

I don't know, depends on what you mean by "retro" because we're getting to the point where a lot of 3D games are now getting lumped into the category.

So how far back are we talkin'? 20 years? 30?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Would you call modern games with pixel graphics - such as Rogue Legacy to paint a picture - retro"? What fits under the definition or classification of a game being "retro"?

Years
    I'd classify anything that people saw as old-school, such as the 80's and 90's game systems, to be "retro". Even some of the classic arcade style games are what i'd deem such. That may not be much of a description but it's what I see that as.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Super Mario World best platformer anyone?

Anyone? No? Okay.

Do you still believe in one another?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Super Mario World best platformer anyone?

Anyone? No? Okay.

Do you still believe in one another?
    At the very least, it's the best 2-D Mario platformer.

Movie Bob/Game Overthinker disagrees, for he finds Super Mario Bros. 3 the best Mario platformer, as well as best platformer in general, since Super Mario World was held back by the SNES's limitations due to being one of the first titles for the system, unlike SMB3, which didn't have those limitations.

Sir Codin

I want to start a new Fallout 3 game, as I have not played it in a while, but dammit I can't seem to get off here and stop talking with you fine people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back