• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you still have a Gold, Silver, or Crystal cartridge?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • he/him
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
These games we're released almost 17 years ago. It'd be pretty shocking if anyone has any version of these that still actually works.

I actually still have my Crystal cartridge sitting around somewhere.

Years
I bought a Silver copy a few years back but the battery was dead, so I returned it.

I kind of wish I had kept it and tried to replace the battery myself.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
My first Silver cartridge actually wasn't mine but my cousin's, and he wanted it back eventually so I returned it. I had always been looking for a copy to buy for myself since then, and 3/4 years ago I happened to find one in a thrift store for ?5 (I couldn't let my mom know about my search for it so I was very anxious about my purchase). The battery was dead but I took the effort to replace it myself because, well, I had finally found the game I'd been looking for for ages! Since the replacement operation it's been working as it should. To this day I'm just so glad I got a copy of my own as people are now selling GSC for plus ?20...

Years
I used to have a Crystal cartridge though the game was in a completely different language that i couldn't understand and some items like the stat boosting items were glitched and buying one or picking one up crashed the game other than that it worked out pretty well Though during a hot summer day some years back my Crystal died.

I also used to own a Pokemon silver cartridge which i traded with a friend a long time ago it played out alright until i got to the Victory road and started to grind my Pokemon just as i was about to go to the Pokemon league the game crashed and refused to work after that.

Years
I still have my Pokemon Gold cartridge kicking around somewhere, but the internal battery finally ran out last year. Was a sad day when I saw that, but I managed to get 15 years out of it, which is a lot more than most people can say for their G/S/C cartridges.

blue

gucci
Years
I actually still have all 3 cartridges for these games. I think a couple of them have a faulty battery but I'm pretty sure Crystal still works fine.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
When I got my Gold cart way back in 2009, the battery was dead, so I couldn't play it until I learned how to change the battery backup. I changed the battery backup for it in 2013, so I was able to enjoy my Gold version cart, and I beat the game too. Unfortunately, it seems that every gen 2 cartridge I got had no battery backup, until my dad got me a Silver cart in 2014 that had a brand new battery backup. I played that game almost as much as I played Gold, gen 2 is one of my favorite sets of Pokemon games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have all three! I actually have extra copies of Silver and Crystal, actually. And all my games work. Had to replace a bunch of the batteries last year, but that means I'm good to go for years to come at least!

Years
I still have my Crystal but with its dead battery and no Gameboy to play it on anyway, it just sits around as a reminder of my memories in Johto :)

Years
I'll be getting a copy of Pokemon Silver with a new battery today. My original copy of Silver was stolen sadly during either my 8th grade year or my Freshman year, forgot which year.

Poke-Potato

"I'll take a potato chip and..EAT IT."- Light (DN)
Years
I used to have all three, but years back the battery died on crystal and younger me thought it was a good idea to trade it in before I found out how to replace the battery. My silver from what I remember works well, and my gold well idk it's sitting somewhere in storage. Both probably aren't doing to hot tbh.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I do have a Silver catridge, and I'm not sure if it's still working or not. It's been sitting there for quite a while. It's worth a lot of I sell it to the local retro gaming shop, but I really don't want to sell it yet.

Years
Still have my gold and silver cartridges. One of these days I'm going to just give in and try to replace the batteries - haven't done so yet because I can't be bothered to do so - since if I want to play 2nd gen I'd rather play the original games.

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
Still have my Gold and Crystal cartridges, though I am a little worried to play them anymore for the fear of the batteries dying. I would just get the batteries replaced if they did, but would hate the fact of losing all of my 'mons.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I have two Silver, one Crystal. Not sure why I have two silvers.

Years
I had all 3 and whilst Gold was my favourite between then 2 main games, when Crystal came out it became my favourite immediately, I mean moving sprites was like a OMGOSH moment back then haha, and the fact you could get Phanphy mega early in that game and it was so desirable after watching Pokémon Anime and seeing Donphans tearing it up haha

Nelsy

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I still have Silver, albeit with a dead battery. I have Crystal as well, and fortunately the battery still works. Unfortunately the clock doesn't, so if I turn it off at 4pm and come back six hours later, it's still 4pm. It still progresses while turned on though, so I once kept it on overnight so that I could catch a Hoothoot in the morning, ironically enough. xD

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
You bet I have a Pokémon Crystal cartridge around! ^^
In fact, I bought a second one a couple of years ago when I thought I lost it, oops! XD

Hmm... I am afraid to try put them in a Game Boy Color and play them though... The batteries inside them must be dead. =/ Wonder if you can replace those somehow...

The reason I keep them around is for good memories, and that maybe I can find myself a GameShark or something to cheat myself a GS ball and FINALLY capture myself Celebi in the Ilex Forest
251.gif
after all these years. ;_; ♥
(Cheating myself that Pokémon into my box just isn't the same... I want to capture it. =O)

Back