• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use legendary Pokemon during your main adventure?

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    I did use them in my first few games (Dialga in Diamond and Articuno in FireRed), but as others mentioned, legendaries make the game too easy.

Years
    Not only do I not use them, I release some after I catch them! Pokemon like Mewtwo, the birds, the Regis, the Pokemon there are multiple of and are only really regarded as legendary because of their rarity, I'll keep. Pokemon that are literally the stuff of legends, said to be one of a kind and helped with creating the world/keep it going, I release after catching. I feel like keeping a Pokemon of that caliber, something that's essentially a God, would create some sort of imbalance in the world. I also just think it'd be dangerous and unfair for a little kid to be running around with a Groudon or whatever. {XD}

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I usually don't just for the sole reason that there aren't a lot of legendaries that I love enough to use. I did use Latias in my first playthrough of Alpha Sapphire, but prior to that I haven't used a legendary since White Version with the Liberty Island Victini. Prior to that... I think I used Mesprit in my Platinum Version game a long time ago. That's all I can remember, honestly.

TheGhosteon

Geeeetttt dunked on!!
    Years
    I did when I was younger...I used Moltres in LeafGreen and Rayquaza in Emerald. And Dialga in Platinum...I managed to stop putting legendaries on my team starting with BW...But I did use Latias in my first playthrough of Alpha Sapphire because it's my favorite legendary, other than Dialga.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    I haven't used one since Kyogre back when I was ten with Sapphire or my FireRed with Zapdos. I use them all the time in randomizers howevrr. I have a randomized Crystal with a Mewtwo that hatched from Togepi egg. :D
    If they come in before my team is full I'll use the heck out of them. The only exception was Latias in Alpha Sapphire. I had my heart on a dead set decided team this time and only needed Camerupt and Altaria. When I'm handed Latias. It was a tough decsion but I boxed her for later. Soaring with her is great though. :3 I guess using Zekrom against N counts. But my team was full and Rufflet hadn't evolved, so I made up a story about not wanting him to get hurt and sending him bavk to Juniper's lab and all this crud. But back into the PC Zekrom goes for Rufflet, my powerhouse Braviary Dery.

Years
    I never use legendaries on my main story teams, usually because I have a full team when I reach said legendaries. I do sometimes rotate them onto my team in the postgame so that they aren't completely ditched.

pkmin3033

It depends on my mood, really. I like to use the mascot Legendary of the title I'm playing, but I also like to maintain a level-up schedule, and by the time I get the Legendary, it's 10+ levels below my party and, since Legendary experience growth is painfully slow, usually I just can't be bothered. Legendaries tend to throw my team balance completely off as well.

...except Articuno. Every time I've played or replayed the first generation titles or their remakes, I've immediately swapped my Pidgeot for Articuno.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Legendaries are for noobs.

I use legends if I feel like it, for example, I used Zapdos in my last FRLG playthrough. But for the most part, I can beat the games without them.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Sometimes I will use legendaries in the main story. Like I used Kyogre, Xerneus, Dialga and giratina in the main story. I most of the time I save then till after the main story to train them (if I even do)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    When possible, I use the mascot Pokemon in my in-game teams. The exceptions are in Emerald, when I didn't use Rayquaza because it was too overleveled, and in Black 2/White 2 (Kyurem could only be caught in the post-game).

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    It completely depends on the mood. One time I transfer the event Michina Arceus to my SS, and I used the Giratina from the Sinjoh Ruins for the whole game. Damn, it feels good haha. Also used Lugia for that playthough 'cause I've always wanted to use it, and again, it feels good.

On Black, I also use Reshiram 'cause it's mandatory I really love its design haha. Black 2, I noticed that my team is weak to rock-type, and Lucario became too mainstream to use on that game, so... caught Cobalion and used that instead.

I haven't used any legendary Pokemon after Black 2 aside from mandatory parts. But again, my usage of legendary Pokemon is completely affected by my mood.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Mm...depends on how I'm trying to play the game

If I'm doing it seriously, I'll never use a Legendary Pokémon, unless it's part of the Story, like Reshiram and Zekrom in BW and Xerneas/Yveltal in X&Y

Otherwise I treat them as if I was in the anime: one does not simply use a pokemon that was said to have killed millions of people to defeat arrogant Youngsters

"Gee, I saw the Champion of the Region just use some dragon to banish a Pidgeot to the deepest pits of Darkness, but I'm feeling confidant in my Rattata"

Except Rayquaza, she's too beautiful not to use

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Very rarely given that I mostly do no catch runs nowadays. I did use Latios in Omega Ruby though due to it being handed out and despite the lack of Soul Dew, the Mega Stone for it still did okay.

Last edited:

Fil

Years
    I usually refrain from using legendaries in my playthroughs, but groudon became a part of my team in of Ruby. I also used dialga for a little after I caught it in Diamond. I ended up replacing it with a garchomp.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    If I'm doing it seriously, I'll never use a Legendary Pokémon, unless it's part of the Story, like Reshiram and Zekrom in BW and Xerneas/Yveltal in X&Y

Pretty much well said here and also the same reason why I don't use Legendaries for most of the time. I feel like even if the Legendaries (especially the Uber tier ones) are just mons with much higher base stats and movepools, I try my best to make them feel as if they are sacred creatures that not a mere mortal should use, so they are kept in the boxes while being petted in Pokemon Amie as well, to be safe from unworthy people and villains.

However, non uber tier Legendaries are perfectly fine for me to use for some reason. Many of the non-ubers are either competitive picks or UU, RU, or even NU, which basically means while lorewise they are legendary, aren't as overpowered as the ubers. I consider the uber tiered legendaries the ones i shouldn't really abuse in regular gameplay, even though they are still fun to use once in a while (such as using a Dragon Legendary with other moves to KO fairies)

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
    I never use my legendary Pokemon after catching them; once I do, they sit in my PC boxes practically for good. A little ironic, since catching the Legendaries is usually what I look forward to when playing through the story of any game. The only time I'd used one was back when I was 9 or 10 and playing Diamond for the first time, and I fought with my Dialga up until the Champion. The other time was when the legendary dragon event was going on in Black/White 1 and I'd had a level 100 Reshiram with me during the Pokemon League; I didn't use it until it saved me from losing against Ghetsis at the time.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I prefer not to, though lesser legendaries like the birds/beasts I'll happily use like any normal monster if I happen to feel like it. The reason I prefer not to use legendaries (or starters) is because they're in an awkward position as these 'rare' monsters which are actually extremely common in a meta sense since everyone is practically guaranteed to acquire them. They're also supposed to be special in some way, and they're strong, while I'd rather be a just another trainer who has to face actual challenges with their Pidgey or whatever. I find popular things intrinsically offputting, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
    Years
    A lot of people make having Reshiram/Zekrom in your party in the final battles against N and Ghetsis to be really overpowering for you and on them, but they're not very fast (they'll be slower than N's, and Ghetsis' Hydreigon which can all but OHKO them) and their strongest Dragon-type attack to use is DragonBreath, which Zekrom gets even less usage out of thanks to its not as high Special Attack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Most legendary Pokémon are much, much more strong than common ones, so I would say it's sort of understandable, at least for me, as to why others would look down at you for utilizing them and whatnot; it gives you an unfair advantage.

Do I use legendaries? Well, it depends. While battling competitively, I do find myself siding with a couple every now and again, but those that I go with aren't precisely as overpowering; they could be taken down just as easily as any other Pokémon we run into in this scene.

As for in-game, it's sort of the same; I use ones that aren't too overwhelming.

Back