• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone actually like Spidops?

So this guy seems to be the most unpopular Pokémon introduced in Paldea so far.. if not one of the most unpopular Pokémon as a whole. It's even worse that it evolves from a genuinely cute mon, that unfortunately just had to turn into this.

Does anyone actually like Spidops?

Does anyone here honestly like this thing? Because I sure wish I could. But it's just horrifying, especially when it walks?? :'(

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I'm not sure why the spiders in gen 9 look like older men with facial hair. Talking about Spidrops and Rellor.

I don't like green and yellow together either.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I surely do. The official artwork however is a lot better than the sprite appearing in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, where Spidops indeed looks like a rubber toy.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I actually do like it, and was surprised literally everyone brought it up on my thread. I actually think it… kinda looks cool.

But I also wish it wasn't also horrible in battle which is why I still try not to get one.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Spidops is horrible and one of the worst Pokémon that Game Freak ever created. It has a horrible design, mainly because its coloration is bad and I don't know what the heck is going on with its face and overall body. It is supposed to be based on a spider, but it looks nothing like a spider. Instead, it looks like a weird toy and not a living thing. I don't know if this is true for anybody else, but when I look at its face, I see Squidward from SpongeBob in a way, which doesn't help it at all. They really missed the mark and could have created a very menacing looking spider with a "special ops" gimmick instead of this. Its stats are horrible. In battle, it doesn't have anything going for it. Its signature move, Silk Trap, which Protects it and lowers Speed if contact was made, is pretty useless. The only way it can be remotely useful is on a Trick Room team because it is very slow, which is unusual for a spider, especially one that is supposed to be in the special forces, but it doesn't have the power to be a strong attacker in Trick Room. It can't do good niche things like Butterfree can do, another early Bug Pokémon, such as put Pokémon to sleep using Sleep Powder with 98% accuracy because of Compound Eyes or sweep with Quiver Dance. To top it off, it has a pretty bad movepool too. Spidops is just a terrible, ugly waste of space that should have never been created. It's horrible, straight up abysmal. If anybody does like it, maybe they're similar to those weird Seaking enthusiasts that the Pokédex talks about.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't see anything wrong with its design, the 2D art actually looks good to me. Far from being among the worst when things like the copy-pasted mice exist. Perhaps its in-game movement animations are the issue? Similarly as Quaquaval and other "character Pokémon", I think it's the way they stand and move in a 3D environment what looks awfully weird when the animators have to inject human traits into insect/animal based Pokémon.

Some Pokémon look better in 3D, some others are favored in 2D. Spidops looks like one that could work better if it came out in the sprite era.

SquirmyWorm064

I’m weird :>
    Years
    I actually like Spidops, but it was very different than Tarountula. I kept Tarountula on my team so I could evolve it and it turned out to be completely different than what I thought. But please, don't get me started on the Nymble evolution.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I find it kind of funny that its Shiny coloration resembles a spider version of Deadpool, but otherwise no, I don't like it. I already find a lot of spider Mons creepy and this one is no exception.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Yes, but mostly ironically. I kinda like the VGC community's running joke that Spidops is one of the most dangerous Pokémon in the metagame, and I've seen people try to make it sorta work, and to its credit, at least in singles, it's got some decent tools: First Impression, Sticky Web, and Circle Throw are strange but effective, and it has Stakeout, an ability that it admittedly isn't the best at utilizing, but can help anyway.

To quote something I found in the comments section of a Moxie Boosted video:
    You neglected to rank the paradops pokémon, which is a group of pokémon exclusively made up of spidops. Because of this, it clearly belongs in it's own tier above S and I'm dissapointed you failed to mention that almost everything on your list is hard-countered by paradops spidops. smh

Other than that I just wanna talk to whomever was in charge of designing this thing. If it evolved it'd be fine, but considering that you're stuck with a Spidops forever, and it has a base stat total of 404, I can understand why people are less than thrilled with it. It evolving from the cute Tarountula is a decision I'm not sure I entirely agree with, either.

Its art does look cool, though, and its Shiny form has its silk turn red, which I think is even cooler, because it looks like a laser detection system.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    I don't mind it. I haven't USED it, but I don't mind it. It would have been cool to give it Phantom Force and maybe Shadow Sneak or similar to represent it sneaking around and doing assassin-style shenanigans (which they imply in its design).

Last edited:
    Back