• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't you just hate it when...

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
  • It really pains me when people say 'Salamance' instead of 'Salamence', which is the actual spelling...

Throughout the years of its existence, I haven't seen much improvement. Every time I see 'Salamance', I don't know, but I get this indescribable feeling similar to depression.

Does this happen to any of you?

Virgilin

Salmon Fishing in Vulcan
    Years
  • Well, I've never really given thought to it but I know that most people get annoyed by misspellings and mispronunciations of Pokemon names. So I see where you're comşng from and I totally understand! ^^

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yes, I can relate to this. Haha. I don't hate it, but I get annoyed when people misspell my username because they think the pokémon is called Pellipers. So, so many people have done that.

I'm not as iffy about pronunciation as I am about spelling.

Another thing I "hate" is when people assume that every kid can get a pokédex and pokémon from a professor when they turn 10. Like, it's the standard thing that professors do, handling out 'dexes and 'mons. The anime doesn't really help, as they have kind of put it that way too ._. And maybe that is the canon way things work in the anime, but I sure don't like it :p

I prefer how it works in the games, where there is always a special reason for a professor to hand a pokémon to you in the beginning.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • Yes, I can relate to this. Haha. I don't hate it, but I get annoyed when people misspell my username because they think the pokémon is called Pellipers. So, so many people have done that.

Another thing I "hate" is when people assume that every kid can get a pokédex and pokémon from a professor when they turn 10. Like, it's the standard thing that professors do, handling out 'dexes and 'mons. The anime doesn't really help, as they have kind of put it that way too ._. And maybe that is the canon way things work in the anime, but I sure don't like it :p

I prefer how it works in the games, where there is always a special reason for a professor to hand a pokémon to you in the beginning.

Well, due to the nature that I was born with, I don't exactly 'hate' or 'become annoyed' by anything.. My equivalent would just be sulking...

I was only trying to relate with others.

Years
  • Better not annoy the Salaman dem over dere. At least it would rhyme with trance dance from France, whereas before it would rhyme with pretense, hence the suspense of your offense commences the incense of an intense, immense, emotional expense, which is just not common sense, and so we must dispense of it.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • It really pains me when people say 'Salamance' instead of 'Salamence', which is the actual spelling...

Throughout the years of its existence, I haven't seen much improvement. Every time I see 'Salamance', I don't know, but I get this indescribable feeling similar to depression.

Does this happen to any of you?

LOL. XD Well, at least on the QWERTY keyboard, the "A" and "E" keys are kind of close together, so the mistake IMO is understandable, but people could still make the effort to spell the name right (unless they have their own personal fanon spelling for whatever reason).

Yes, I can relate to this. Haha. I don't hate it, but I get annoyed when people misspell my username because they think the pokémon is called Pellipers. So, so many people have done that.

LOL...I just realized this, but shouldn't your name be "Red's Hawt Chili Pelipper" (sans "S"), since Pokemon names are simultaneously both singular and plural (i.e., one Pikachu, many Pikachu; one deer, many deer)? At least that's what I thought the 'rule' was; I know some Pokemon names lend themselves to having a pluralizing "S" at the end, and some regular words do this as well (i.e., deer or deers can apparently be used as the plural for the singular word "deer").

As for the "given Pokemon when you turn 10" thing, I actually like how the anime sets a somewhat arbitrary age for when you can officially set out on a journey with Pokemon. The games actually irritate me a bit with all of those apparently-less-than-10-years-old kids that own Pokemon (i.e., little Tubers using freaking Latios or something in battle facilities). I'd rather Professors have that sort of "occupation" of officially giving kids their Pokemon and Pokedex...as Professor Oak once duly noted, it is dangerous to go off into the wilderness without Pokemon to protect you, so there might as well be a standard procedure with possible formalities and such of handing out starter Pokemon so kids don't get injured due to their curiosity of trying to find out whatever that little boy/girl is blocking you from seeing on the route up ahead.
    However, I think it's nice whenever there's a "special reason" for receiving the starter Pokemon - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald did this wonderfully....you bonded/cooperated with the starter Pokemon quickly in an emergency, so you might as well have it for protection, especially since you're (apparently) of age in case you would like to traverse farther areas of the Hoenn region.

-----

As for Pokemon name pronunciation, at this point, my rule is "pronounce it however the heck you want using 1 or more pronunciations, even if it doesn't even match the spelling (i.e., pronouncing "Pikachu" as the letter 'Q'....which doesn't really make sense in my opinion, but hey); freely laugh at the pronunciations you think are 'wrong'". The Pokemon anime + PokeRaps, Pokemon songs, official Pokemon website(s), official Pokemon commercials and YouTube videos, 3D home console games (Pokemon Stadium and its various successors), numerous pieces of Pokemon-related literature, and applications such as Pokedex 3D Pro have all had differing pronounciations of names, many of which have 'existed' at the same time/contemporarily. Unless there's an official document/video that lists all of the Pokemon's "intended" pronunciations by Game Freak and the various language localizers (I had hopes for Pokedex 3D (Pro), the closest thing IMO to such a 'document', but apparently even that has issues with certain names), I believe that fans are free to pronounce Pokemon names as they wish (not to mention chuckle at the ones they personally think are 'wrong'). Additionally, even if such a list would 'retcon' older pronunciations, the older pronunciations would technically still have 'officially' existed at one point, so there's that (i.e., if Pikachu "PEE-ka-chu (IMO) was suddenly 'retconned' to "PYE-ka-chu", someone watching EP001 of the Pokemon anime would still encounter the "PEE-ka-chu" pronunciation despite Game Freak/Nintendo/whoever now saying otherwis.

For example, the 'movie' pronunciation I've heard for Rayquaza is "Ray-QUAY-za" (which apparently is supposed to invoke the word "quasar (QUAY-zar)"), but I have always been adamant that the pronunciation is "Ray-QUAH-za" (rhymes with "plaza (PLAH-zaa)")...
    The localizers, to my knowledge, have never identified the language origin/etymology of Pokemon names (except IIRC Rotom being explained by Pluto in Pokemon Platinum being derived from the reverse spelling of "motor", which IMO loosely counts and doesn't really help with pronouncing "Rotom"), so something like the origins for "Rayquaza" is currently subjective - the term could have just as easily either originated from "quasar" (as Rayquaza is associated with the sky) or "plaza" (as in, Rayquaza is so powerful/large that it can wipe out swaths of land the size of a plaza)... I think language origins could help with pronunciation, but different languages have different pronunciation rules...and Pokemon *apparently* uses a wide array of languages for constructing names (i.e., English localization *apparently* uses English, French, Spanish, Japanese, etc.).
    Not to mention that just as some words have different pronunciations with identical spelling in the same language (i.e., English - although having different etymology, "bass" (the fish) differs in pronunciation from "bass" (the instrument/sound/musical terminology), Pokemon names, IMO, can work the same way (i.e., for Rayquaza, "Ray-QUAY-za" and "Ray-QUAH-za" are equally valid pronunciations for the time being.

As for pronunciations that personally annoy me, there's "GREW-don" for Groudon (I prefer "GROU-don", "Kye-oh-GRAY" for Kyogre (I prefer "Kye-oh-GURR"), the aforemention Rayquaza thing that puts me in a tizzy, and Ill-ooh-MEE-zay for Illumise (seriously, WTF? That was from an official piece of Pokemon media...anyway, I prefer "ILL-uh-myse/ILL-uh-myze") off the top of my head.

Kyurem is an interesting case for me...I originally pronounced it as "KEE-yoo-rem" and one of the English trailers for Pokemon the Movie: Kyurem VS. The Sacred Swordsmen had the announcer/narrator pronounce it as "CURE-rem", leaving me like "WTF announcer? Wrong, wrong, WRONG!" Surprisingly, over time, I've warmed much more nicely to the "CURE-rem" pronunciation, to the point where I'm starting to use "CURE-rem" a little more than "KEE-yoo-rem" whenever I say the name aloud...

I think that's my stance on Pokemon pronunciations... XD As for Pokemon name spellings, I get annoyed with misspellings...I can understand little typos, but some people just outright butcher the 'proper' spellings (the practice of spelling Japanese names has a little more leeway IMO due to differing romanization practices)... I can understand if people have personal fanon spellings that differ, though (although you can't really be mad if other people point you out for being wrong if there's technically an official spelling; you kind of have to suck it up, unfortunately). But really, if you're in the habit of using the 'official' Pokemon names and you have the opportunity to correct your spelling mistakes...please do!

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • Hate is such a strong word though...what's a word for Salamence torching a village. Because that's the word I'm looking for when people obliviously spells or miss pronounce a Pokemons name wrong, typo-ed it, or Britta-ed it.

Don't you 'hate' it when somebody names a Pokemons type and is wrong. Like when people call Charizard a Dragon type Pokemon (It happened a few times). Like really? now I have to explain. But first, I'd torch their village with a Charizard...then correct them with technical ish. Unless Nintendo added a third element type to a Pokemon, then the smell of awksygen is in the air...and burning villages.

But it's a rookie mistake to make a mistake on a Pokemon type when it literally looks like the type. We've all been there. *cough* Luxray*cough* I seriously thought it had a Dark secondary type...but did some research and nope... and I felt like I broke the oath of the Night's Watch when I made that mistake, for some reason.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • My friend would always pronounce "Groudon" "Groodon".

He would piss me off with that so much. I had to pull up Bulbapedia just to show him the correct pronounciation.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'm not one to show disdain, laughter, or even dislike to those who pronounced or spelled Pokémon jargon incorrectly. While, yes, I might chuckle every now and then whenever I hear someone pronounce Suicune as /suy-soon/ instead of /swee-koon/, I can't really blame them for their "error." Pronunciation of certain Pokémon words changes over time since a lot of them aren't really consistent, some may be affected by accent or some might just be following the pre-defined grammatical rules that the English language had established.

I still, however, prefer /ill-ooh-mi-say/ over /ill-uh-myse/ (Illumise) and I would, most probably, look at the person who pronounces it using the latter pronunciation funnily regardless of any official source that had been provided. This is the only exception that I can think of. XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    LOL...I just realized this, but shouldn't your name be "Red's Hawt Chili Pelipper" (sans "S"), since Pokemon names are simultaneously both singular and plural (i.e., one Pikachu, many Pikachu; one deer, many deer)? At least that's what I thought the 'rule' was; I know some Pokemon names lend themselves to having a pluralizing "S" at the end, and some regular words do this as well (i.e., deer or deers can apparently be used as the plural for the singular word "deer").
    Hahahha I honestly never thought of this. But yeah, at the time I made that name, I made it as a pun of Red Hot Chili Peppers and there's an S at the end of that so I didn't really ponder it. And also, I'm not a native English speaker so at the time, years ago, I actually wrote plural pokémon names with S at the end I think. Pelippers, Pikachus, Geodudes etc. It's only lately I've come to realize that it maybe should be without the S. I blame me being non-English ;)

Damn, now I really want to change my name to Red's Hawt Chibi Pelipper xD There's already an extra S in Red's anyways, and I am only one person so it would sound better with Pelipper regardless if I wanted it to be singular or plural. Oh well! Gotta suck up to the admins or something... Hehe.

Speaking of pokémon species names, I sort of think they should be written with low case letters like pelipper, pikachu, geodude. Instead of capitalizing the first letter. But I've only seen one person on PC who does that so I usually capitalize the first letter anyways, out of habit. But they are not names really (unless the trainer doesn't nickname them, I guess) so they should just be like writing cat, dog or rabbit. Right? Maybe not the discussion for this thread tho... *walks over to the chit-chat thread!*

But I do get kind of annoyed at people who insist on spelling plural pokémon with S and typing their "names" with the first letter capitalized. Now that I know how I think it should be xD Doubt that'll ever be something everyone does / doesn't in similar ways though. It doesn't matter that much xD

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • maybe they do it because it sounds better and easier to say sure it's just an e but I think it sounds better as salamance maybe that's why they do it it's just like when people say arseeus instead of arceus but the a and e are so close on salamence's name it's easy to mistake although the one with arceus is more annoying to me because it's a C!! I swear I want to punch a baby every time I hear that.

bn11

Poached egg
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 27, 2014
    I didn't know until recently that its phanpy not phanphy. Now i've typed the extra h it doesn't seem right but i always pronounced it phanphy don't know how that slipped by me.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Hahahha I honestly never thought of this. But yeah, at the time I made that name, I made it as a pun of Red Hot Chili Peppers and there's an S at the end of that so I didn't really ponder it. And also, I'm not a native English speaker so at the time, years ago, I actually wrote plural pokémon names with S at the end I think. Pelippers, Pikachus, Geodudes etc. It's only lately I've come to realize that it maybe should be without the S. I blame me being non-English ;)

Damn, now I really want to change my name to Red's Hawt Chibi Pelipper xD There's already an extra S in Red's anyways, and I am only one person so it would sound better with Pelipper regardless if I wanted it to be singular or plural. Oh well! Gotta suck up to the admins or something... Hehe.

Speaking of pokémon species names, I sort of think they should be written with low case letters like pelipper, pikachu, geodude. Instead of capitalizing the first letter. But I've only seen one person on PC who does that so I usually capitalize the first letter anyways, out of habit. But they are not names really (unless the trainer doesn't nickname them, I guess) so they should just be like writing cat, dog or rabbit. Right? Maybe not the discussion for this thread tho... *walks over to the chit-chat thread!*

But I do get kind of annoyed at people who insist on spelling plural pokémon with S and typing their "names" with the first letter capitalized. Now that I know how I think it should be xD Doubt that'll ever be something everyone does / doesn't in similar ways though. It doesn't matter that much xD

Ah, I see how that could happen. XD But idk; Red's Hawt Chili Pelipper(s), on one hand, I'd prefer your username to use the "proper" (IMO) plural form of Pelipper... :P On the other hand, your username kind of sounds weird to me if that "S" on the end of 'Pelipper' isn't there and, to me, that seemingly detracts from the pun a bit...I can't really decide. XD Haha, hopefully username changes come back someday so you could be able to change it if you wish... {:3}

I see what you mean with the "first letter being lowercase for the Pokemon names"... However, scientific names that specifically identify organisms are typically capitalized (i.e., Escherichia coli for the E. coli organism)...then again, the genus name is capitalized in binomial nomenclature rather than the species names... I guess the Pokemon professors and scientists just use a weird 'combined' form of that or something, where the Pokemon genus is omitted (do those even exist? XD) and the 'species' name is capitalized instead? But yeah; that concept of typing fictional species/race names in lower-case is better suited for another discussion...haha..

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
    Years
  • I incorrectly say a lot of their names. v_v; Most of them are the newer generations of Pokemon. I haven't been keeping up with the anime, so when I do watch a movie or a random new episode, I go oh. That's how you say it. :(

What's super annoying is confusing furret and ferret, lantern and lanturn, and volcarona and volcano. ._.;

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I say it right, I pronounce it right. But I don't spell it right because I don't focus to much on spelling it right. Hell, I spell Litwick; Litwik. I use to spell Joltik; Joltic. I spell however you spell his name. "Nospas". Salamance is how I spell it and probably how I always will. I don't have time to be tedious and correct.

Even to "sulk" at someone spelling is pretty petty, bruh. *shrugs*

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I hate people who spell Gyarados like "Gyrados" or even worse, "Garydos"...they almost always forget that first A.

Years
  • I hate it when someone misspells or mispronounces the name of Oshawott, it's my mascot Pokemon so it'd be fitting that I know the correct way to say or spell it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • The problem that I tend to run into is that the anime comes out with much different pronunciations than my friends and I do. Ray-QUAY-zah comes to mind especially haha. I always said Ray-qwah-zah. Or sometimes they just put emphasis on a different sound: Buh-DEEW, with a raised and more nasal inflection on the second syllable. So I mean, I'm not too fussy about the way people pronounce unless I know it's wrong as hell. Come on, little brother, what in the world is a Bee-dooh? (Budew, apparently.)

I try to be as correct with spellings as possible because that's more of a set in stone thing. I would like to be able to communicate as easily as possible, and spelling well is part of that- that applies to all things, not just Pokémon names. Sometimes I do have to do a quick check to see if I'm spelling correctly but it's no big deal really. Some of them I can just never remember, especially if it's only slightly off a real word like Lanturn. Or even Qwilfish- I instinctively put a U instead of a W. I just find it better to check than to not. .3.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    You still see people, especially the original 151 Pokemon nostalgia horses, who say "rah-tuh-tat" instead of "ruh-tah-tuh".

It's a common and famous mistake that even I had trouble fixing because that's what my sister called it when she introduced Pokemon to me, but suddenly when I actually interpreted the spelling, I fix it in a flash.

And sorry OP, but despite the 10+ years I've been playing Pokemon and me fixing the Rattata mistake, I have just recently learned that Salamence is pronounced "sal-uh-mence" instead of "sal-uh-mance".

Back