• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Electric type paralysis immunity

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2021
    Are electric types immune to all paralysis techniques as of gen 6? Who else thinks this is completely OP?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Yes to the first, according to Bulbapedia. No to the second. Granted status immunities to other types too.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    - Fire type: Burn immunity
    - Ice type: Frozen immunity
    - Electric type: Paralysis immunity
    - Steel and Poison type: Poison immunity (One exception: the Corrosion ability.)
    - Ghost type: Bound/Can't Escape immunity (from moves like Clamp, Fire Spin, Mean Look, Block, and Fairy Lock)
    - Grass type: Powder/Spore move immunity (such as Sleep Powder and Spore). Extends to the Effect Spore ability. Adds Leech Seed immunity as well.

Years
    • Seen today
    Since Grass types are only immune to Paralysis from Stun Spore / Effect Spore, I think Electric types should have been immune to Paralysis from Electric moves and nothing else. Mainly because paralysis isn't something strictly related to electricity, unlike Poisoning, Freezing, etc. which have allways been strongly associated with a specific type.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Considering Gen VII dropped Thunder Wave's accuracy (100% -> 90%) and made the speed drop from paralysis smaller (75% -> 50%) it seems like GameFreak thought Paralysis was OP and they needed some way to counter that.

I don't really do competitive so I don't know if these paralysis changes had huge impacts on the metas from Gen V -> Gen VI and Gen VI -> Gen VII (and even if I did do competitive, I probably wouldn't be able to tell because the metas had huge changes due to new mechanics introduced which could very well cover these paralysis changes).

Still, I suppose it does make some sense. Electric types are always associated with energy and of the moves that can cause paralysis:
    - 1 is Tri-Attack so it's implied Electricity
    - 1 only paralyzes if the user is paralyzed
    - 1 only paralyze in a certain terrain
    - 1 is a Partner Pikachu exclusive
    - 1 is Fling with Light Ball
    - 16 are Electric moves

Of the remaining 10 moves, 1 is a spore move, 1 is a G-Max move that's implied to be a spore move. The other 8 are legit normal moves.

So yeah, Electricity is by far the most common cause of paralysis. Electric Pokémon having a blanket immunity is probably easier to code and considering the association is probably OK.

You can even make a pseudo-biological explanation that they physically can't sit still unless they're sleeping because of excess energy or something like that.

Years
    • Seen today
    I checked the list of paralysis inducing moves, and yeah: Lick, Body Slam, Dragon Breath, Bounce, Force Palm, Stun Spore, and the ability Effect Spore have definitely nothing to do with electricity. Tri-Attack and Freeze Shock seem logical since they do involve using electricity, even though they don't belong to this type.

It's kinda funny that you cannot paralyze an Electric Pokémon by fear (Lick) or spores but you can put a Psychic Pokémon to sleep via Hypnosis. It could have been a nice touch if they gave a slight Accuracy boost to Hypnosis while making Psychic types immune to it to compensate.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2021
    I checked the list of paralysis inducing moves, and yeah: Lick, Body Slam, Dragon Breath, Bounce, Force Palm, Stun Spore, and the ability Effect Spore have definitely nothing to do with electricity. Tri-Attack and Freeze Shock seem logical since they do involve using electricity, even though they don't belong to this type.

It's kinda funny that you cannot paralyze an Electric Pokémon by fear (Lick) or spores but you can put a Psychic Pokémon to sleep via Hypnosis. It could have been a nice touch if they gave a slight Accuracy boost to Hypnosis while making Psychic types immune to it to compensate.

Corveone I gotta say I do like ur ideas, even on my past posts of mine that You've commented on. That psychic immune to hypnosis idea is genius. And yeah I agree that electric should only be immune to electric paralysis. Just like ghost is or was (not sure of current gen changes) immune to glare because it is a normal paralysis move. Unfortunately I think it's possible that cubchoo is accurate in saying that it is easier to code a blanket immunity for a type instead of individual moves, so maybe it would have caused issues in the rest of the game if game freak tried it who knows though

Considering Gen VII dropped Thunder Wave's accuracy (100% -> 90%) and made the speed drop from paralysis smaller (75% -> 50%) it seems like GameFreak thought Paralysis was OP and they needed some way to counter that.

I don't really do competitive so I don't know if these paralysis changes had huge impacts on the metas from Gen V -> Gen VI and Gen VI -> Gen VII (and even if I did do competitive, I probably wouldn't be able to tell because the metas had huge changes due to new mechanics introduced which could very well cover these paralysis changes).

Still, I suppose it does make some sense. Electric types are always associated with energy and of the moves that can cause paralysis:
    - 1 is Tri-Attack so it's implied Electricity
    - 1 only paralyzes if the user is paralyzed
    - 1 only paralyze in a certain terrain
    - 1 is a Partner Pikachu exclusive
    - 1 is Fling with Light Ball
    - 16 are Electric moves

Of the remaining 10 moves, 1 is a spore move, 1 is a G-Max move that's implied to be a spore move. The other 8 are legit normal moves.

So yeah, Electricity is by far the most common cause of paralysis. Electric Pokémon having a blanket immunity is probably easier to code and considering the association is probably OK.

You can even make a pseudo-biological explanation that they physically can't sit still unless they're sleeping because of excess energy or something like that.

Yes coding in blanket immunities probably is easier to but now I wonder why gamefreak would make grass immune to leech seed(an individual move) and spore moves only, and not be able to make electric only immune to electric type paralysis moves

Last edited by a moderator:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Definitely not overpowered. Honestly, paralyzed has always used an electric static animation, so why would creatures that use electricity/have electricity inside them be paralyzed by that?

It's like how you can't burn a Fire type, Freeze and Ice type, Poison a Poison or Steel type without having a Pokemon with the corrosion ability, or seed a grass type. It's just another thing that seems like a "natural born immunity" for types that are able to wield these elements.

Years
    • Seen today
    And yeah I agree that electric should only be immune to electric paralysis. Just like ghost is or was (not sure of current gen changes) immune to glare because it is a normal paralysis move. Unfortunately I think it's possible that cubchoo is accurate in saying that it is easier to code a blanket immunity for a type instead of individual moves, so maybe it would have caused issues in the rest of the game if game freak tried it who knows though

Yeah, that's the thing. I forgot to mention Glare but that, and Lick, are moves existing since Gen 1 that paralyze through intimidation or fear. It was never meant to be a status condition specifically related to the Electric type, it was just about restraining the opponent's movement and speed through various means. Besides, if it was purely an Electric thing, Ground should be immune to all forms of Paralysis as well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2021
    Yeah, that's the thing. I forgot to mention Glare but that, and Lick, are moves existing since Gen 1 that paralyze through intimidation or fear. It was never meant to be a status condition specifically related to the Electric type, it was just about restraining the opponent's movement and speed through various means. Besides, if it was purely an Electric thing, Ground should be immune to all forms of Paralysis as well.

I was just playing some xy when my braixen caused confusion by using psybeam and I realized how cool it would be if psychics were immune to confusion moves. I mean, their psychics who know what ur going to try to do, how r u going to confuse them? Plus since their moves cause confusion, they seem to have some mastery of it, so i don't think it would b far fetched for them to have that immunity. Oh and agreed about ground and paralysis relation

Last edited:
    Back