• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Empathy

Years
  • How empathetic do you consider yourself to be, or how empathetic are you viewed by those around you?

I have my share of it. I've always been the motherly/sisterly sort. If I hear that someone is going through something tough I will probably try to talk to them. I don't like to see someone hurt, and look away during even violent scenes in movies sometimes.

I've gone over to help people when their car was broken down on the side of the road. If I see a homeless person I try not to walk by if I have any change. Stray animals follow me too because I end up feeding em .

Though I am sucker for a sob story, if a friend, neighbor or relative is showing up every month needing cash or always seems to be involved in drama that is where I draw the line, and keep some distance because I don't like manipulative--nobody does. I have had to erect some boundaries in the last couple of years after such experiences, but overall I'm still a softie.

You?

pkmin3033

I'm not a very empathetic person, and I don't think I've ever been seen as such. I'm more the sort of person who will offer to be a listening ear and/or offer some advice if wanted if someone is struggling with something, but I've always been quite removed from their emotions, and I don't presume to understand what they're going through because I absolutely cannot stand it when people tell me they know what I'm feeling/thinking. No, you don't. My problems are my own. It feels presumptuous and dismissive to attempt to empathise, at least from my perspective. So...I don't. I guess that makes me a terrible person, but I'd rather be useful to people I care for, and I don't think I can do that if I'm caught up in my own feelings assuming that I'm sharing in someone else's.

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I think I'm empathic, though not as much as Milotic and not as much as I used to be. I used to get into arguments to defend my friends or people who I saw as being treated unfairly, but sometimes people need to fight their own battles and once I ended up in a bad situation because of stepping in. Now I still try to be helpful and caring but I also try to stay detached.

Years
  • I'm not super empathetic on an individual basis, but I am very empathetic when it comes to greater, systematic suffering.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • due to my autism, my empathy tends to fluctuate. it really depends.

Same.

Like, there are times when I can sense things that aren't normal. It's hard to really go into detail of this. I always try to be empathetic and what not to be honest... but with my own autism, it's hard to actually express it... but then with anxiety, I have a tendency to gather too much emotion and get overwhelmed real easily. So as the post above me, my empathy fluctuates a lot depending on the mood or situation.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I'm not a very empathetic person. I do try but it's difficult to actually feel it. I don't really have a reason outside of misanthropy. Due to my extreme dislike of most humans, I find it hard to connect with them. Which I guess is a nicer way of saying that most of my empathy is forced.

That said, I'm extremely empathetic toward animals. I can't stand seeing animals suffering in any way. So it's not that I have no empathy, it's just difficult for humans to earn my true empathy.

#edgelordproblems?

Years
  • Empathy doesn't come easily to me but I'm usually good at pretending. When it comes to my personal life however, and the real emotions come, I can get very overwhelmed.

Years
  • usually very empathetic, it's why it can be extremely hard to stand up for myself in a lot of situations :( i'm still mourning the passing of an artist (early feb 2020) i had only discovered a month prior to their death, and thinking of how afraid and in pain she must have been (and how her family are probably still feeling right now) until she passed will probably impact me for years.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I am empathetic - I connect with and understand people's emotions and thoughts quite well. I don't assume that I know exactly the extent of what they're going through but I can at least empathise with people and also make sure to offer support where I can. It can be a strength but also at times has made me try to support a problem that never existed in the first place because I mistakenly see a resemblance between what they're experiencing and what I've observed / experienced in the past. I think a balance is needed but it is definitely one of my most notable traits? I also feel that I'm empathetic in the sense that Janna above mentioned - when people pass on even if I am not close to them, I empathise a lot with the grief and find it difficult to put those sort of events out of my mind. :(

Years
  • I find that I lack empathy, and it has caused me a lot of problems and caused me to hurt others. But I have a conscience and compassion, I feel bad for what I did and I wish to improve myself and be a good person despite that.

Years
  • I would say that I am immensely empathetic. I tend to be the individual who's consoling and offering advice to friends on a constant basis. I care deeply about the feelings about those around me and I am an emotional being overall. If I witness someone hurting, I tend to take on their hurt as well.

However, there have been instances wherein I've had to construct boundaries and have grown apathetic. If someone repeatedly wrongs me or others, I will lose all empathy for said person and may be stern with them. I am empathetic, yes, but I'm no pushover and I am aware of my worth.

Years
  • I'm overly empathetic . . sometimes I feel it's more of an extension of my impulsivity rather than always being genuine. Although I am genuine, I feel my impulsive nature can turn a minor situation into an exaggeration.

I don't like seeing people down and while I could never understood how someone is TRULY feeling, pain is pain and in understanding pain myself I don't think it's necessary for us to connect beyond the conception of pain.

People don't really consider me empathetic because I'm a closet EMPATH, I often wait until I'm alone to connect with someone but usually I'm praying for those I know personally who are going through something.

Back