• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
  • TFCv1 was 399 pages (29 chapters) when I stopped writing it and began the rewrite. Yeah, it took me three years to get there and, while I still have it, I metaphorically threw it out.

While it is sort of depressing thinking about how it'll be a long time until I get to any truly new material, when I compare v2 and v1 the difference is just so large it's completely worth it to me. It's almost an entirely different story, or entirely different characters at least. Shrike before was an incompetent sissy who suddenly grew balls near the end of v1, while now he's actually a decent trainer who, while having a tendency to be slow to react when faced with difficult decisions, is strong willed and willing to do anything that's needed. Rayne changed completely throughout v1, ending up as any angsty little emo while all the while being way too close to a Mary Sue for comfort. Now, while quieter and more solitary than she was at the start of v1, she's simply more shy than anything. Don't even get me started on the complete changes Zack had between all of his appearances and the poor neglected Aira... Suffice it to say, plans are for Zack to be much more consistent now, while Aira is being completely reworked. She grew up on the streets but it really didn't show before; now it will.

And I use Adblock so I see no ads, so hah.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Size 11 Calibri.

The massive page difference is probably because I start chapters on new pages and have pages dedicated to noting which part the fic is in ("Part I"/"Part II").

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Y-you wrote a 300-page fic? And then threw it all out? Ohhhhhh . . . . . .

EDIT: There's now an ad at the bottom of the page for free grammar correction. I just find that odd . . .

I wrote one about that long. o_o Beyblade Kingdom Hearts Crossover. It's rather amusing to read nowadays and while I threw it out, I didn't know I had it saved on a floppy disk drive and found it recently *gasp* and then I put it up on my fanfiction.

But I've lost large chunks like that before. It's depressing to start over. ;_;

Late AGAIN. << Gawsh this thread is trying to kill me...

o_o I love Calibri but I blow up the zoom to 150% anyways because of bad eyesight so as long as it's san serif something I have no issue with it.

When I publish something, it must be neat. >o<

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I didn't think I would ever write it again, though that still doesn't completely explain why I threw it all out. I've kept many old fics before that were never finished.

But yes, it was 300 pages, and only on chapter four. I remember that part quite well.

I also remember what happened in the story, even after the years I didn't think of it, so I can easily rewrite it.

*Still has nightmares about the 25 page gym battle he wrote in the old version.*
    That was terrifying, Shrike.

The more I hear about the rewritten TFC, the more I wish I had the time to read it.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • How. The hell. Do you write. A 300 page fic. WITH 4 CHAPTERS?!?!?!?!?!?

*head asplodes* And a 25 page Gym battle, urk. *head un-asplodes* *head asplodes again* I have trouble writing 6-page chapters.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    *Still has nightmares about the 25 page gym battle he wrote in the old version.*

J-just...just how? ;; How is this possible?

It's like the two page 12pt Times New Roman compound sentence from Hades on the description of a laboratory that I wrote as a plot twist in a roleplay a long long long time ago. ;;

Does it keep you up at night? ;; The thought of that 25 page monster?

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • 6 Pages? Hah, my longest is around 27, with the average hovering around 14. 6 pages to me is like...a single scene.

To be fair with the battle, that does include some stuff at the beginning and end as well which added some pages on. And it was a pretty decent battle in the end, I just got so f'ing tired of writing it. Still...yes, it does keep me awake at night ;_; I'm not even sure if I'm going to have that battle this time around, it was completely unneeded anyway before. I kept telling myself that I needed it to show how Shrike was still trying to hold onto life as a trainer, but I think it was more so me just saying "You have built up to this battle for chapters now and you are so going to have it, damn you!"

And while on the subject of TFC I managed to write another page in chapter 5, doubling the total page count from two last night to four now. If I keep this pace I'll have 16 pages come Tuesday, which may even be more than enough for this chapter. If my will is strong enough, I don't see any problems with getting this chapter done before I go back.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I haven't written anything too long (aside from school related stuff), but I actually wouldn't mind.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Y-you wrote a 300-page fic? And then threw it all out? Ohhhhhh . . . . . .
    Oh dear god. How could you just throw out such beautiful literature?

Which brings us to our next topic.
    What is the longest chapter you've written? (Unit of measure is MS Word Pages)

and

What font do you use with what size?

Bay

Years
  • What do you do when/if you get writer's block. How would you generate new ideas?
    Usually I would either reread my story, read another story, or do something else like listening to music or watch something that I think can be related to my story. For instance, was having writers block for a bit for NE, but after watching Da Vinci Code, that inspired me to write NE again. XD Also was having a huge writing block for the second part of The Last Rocket, but after watching some episodes of Black Cat again, I actually got an idea on how I'll be able to end that one shot now. :D Haven't gotten to writing that yet though cause now my sister's sick and been taking care of her. :x

EDIT: DANG IT MIZAN! YOU NINJAED ME! :O
    For NE, oddly enough, the last chapter, which is 22 pages. I used Times New Roman, 12 pt font. I always use Times New Roman. XD

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • What is the longest chapter you've written? (Unit of measure is MS Word Pages)

I think it was nine pages...might have been eleven, but I'm pretty sure it was nine.

12 point font, single-spaced, Times New Roman. I'm pretty sure my eyes are planning mutiny by now.

What do you do when/if you get writer's block. How would you generate new ideas?

You know, this question has come around probably ten times since I started posting here, and to this day I have not found a 100% effective method for breaking writer's block. When I saw Terry Brooks at comic-con, he pretty much said you have to learn to turn your creative tap on and off at will. Even if you don't feel like writing. Even if you'll have a brain aneurysm. Just write.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    That's really not fair to those of us who have the majority of their work written by hand on paper, or to those who don't use MS Word.

In OpenOffice, with the only fanfic I currently have written that has long chapters, my longest chapter is twenty-six pages.

Longest hand-written chapter was thirty-one pages, and I hadn't even really written the main part of the chapter yet.

Times New Roman, size 12.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • That's really not fair to those of us who have the majority of their work written by hand on paper, or to those who don't use MS Word.
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the possibility of Open Office though.

*fixes*
    What is the longest chapter you've written? (Unit of measure is relative Pages)

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I have an inflatable Greatball hanging from my ceiling now, thanks to Comic-Con. Heee~

Speaking of pokémon merchandise and Comic-Con, I almost bought a Latias figurine for $30 at this one booth. Deciding against it, I came home and found a much more awesome Latias as well as that Giratina model handed out with pre-orders of Platinum online for $16. I laughed a lot and then bought them.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Speaking of pokémon merchandise and Comic-Con, I almost bought a Latias figurine for $30 at this one booth. Deciding against it, I came home and found a much more awesome Latias as well as that Giratina model handed out with pre-orders of Platinum online for $16. I laughed a lot and then bought them.
    That's expensive where I'm from. It's a good thing I'm not into novelty.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Hello! I'm back! Does anyone still remember me? xD

So, uh, I was in Japan for three weeks and it was really a dream come true. It was so much more than I expected... I think it opened my eyes a bit. Seeing the world might actually be good for writing. Also, I bought some awesomely cheap little Pokemon toys and two Pokemon games, Crystal and Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of time. The games are in Japanese, of course, but I haven't had any major problems with the language. Apparently I am much more fluent with Japanese than I had previously thought, which is a good thing, because even though the games were cheap, it would still suck if I wasn't able to play them. But, I'm not going to rant about it here much more because I'm going to assume that the lot of you aren't interested. As for being back, I have no clue what's going on here, but this seems to be from the sane end of the conversation pool of this thread...

Also, my English skills are a bit rusty after not speaking a word of it for a month.

What is the longest chapter you've written? (Unit of measure is relative Pages)

I think 21 pages, although it's a bit different thing since it's in Finnish. You see, Finnish has longer words so it takes a little more space to write the same things in Finnish than English. When I was younger, my principles with chapter length were something like this: "Oh, it's already six pages. I better start a new chapter now." So, yeah, there has been some improvement since then. I still generally write pretty short chapters, though. Maybe it has something to do with me being horrendously impatient and wanting to always write some other chapter than the one I should write. For some reason, I can never let myself skip, I have to write in the order people read the fic... Thus, the chapters are left a little short. I think they still have adequite contents, though.

I always use Arial, since I've never liked Times New Roman. As for the font size, it varies: if I write for myself, I use 12, If I write something for school, I use 14. It's not only because I want it to look like there was more text, but one of my teachers once told me that it's easier to mark the mistakes and write comments if the font size is bigger.

So, yeah. I'm back with my unnecessarily long answers. Hi, everyone!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Hello! I'm back! Does anyone still remember me? xD

Who the hell are you?

An-chan, darling! Good to hear from you again, and glad you had a good time. Experience always does writing good, I've noticed.

What is the longest chapter you've written? (Unit of measure is relative pages.)

If we count one-shots, Bloom is about twenty-three or twenty-five pages. I can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm too lazy to check.

If we don't, at least one chapter of MKD hit twenty pages.

Times New Roman, point 12. It's default on my computer (because that's the standard for writing papers), and I'm too lazy to change it.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023

34 pages!

Times new roman. 12. Bold.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back