• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Ewwwww...Neo, you said the name of someone icky.

And later today, I will be back to full activity. I got my new computer, everyone, so quake in fear. Nearly wrote "quack in fear"!) Also, I'll be able to get back to planning that revolution we were talking about days ago.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    lol a new computer already? :P

Next laptop I buy will probably have Windows 7, and I'd buy it in two-ish years.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hurrah for new computers. Well, not for me as mine is only new-ish. -_-

Ewwwww...Neo, you said the name of someone icky.

And later today, I will be back to full activity. I got my new computer, everyone, so quake in fear. Nearly wrote "quack in fear"!) Also, I'll be able to get back to planning that revolution we were talking about days ago.
    But... revolutions tend to have people's heads chopped off. Oh no! *quacks*

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Once you buy your computer, it no longer is new, it is already obsolete, yesterday's technology, a thing of the past.

XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Ewwwww...Neo, you said the name of someone icky.
    Who? Edit:Oh wait, you mean Yamato-san? Oh, then I completely understand.

Viva La Revolucion!
    *Rolls out Guillotine in response to what bobandbill said*
    I'll be watching the heads roll...

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I got better

Fanfiction Lounge

Yes indeed...

(For those who don't remember, I was erased by Feign's beautiful beams...)
    solovino said:
    *stares with wide-open eyes admiring the beautiful light before being pierced by the ominous enery and erased from exis-- *

And for cming back is an incredible thing, and getting back to the Lounge and seeing 1 2 3 4 5 ∫( 4 x² sin(x) + 5 log(x) )[-4..+2*e] NEW PAGES!!!!! puts me in a special mood... and evenbetter if someone can solve that integral for me! :D

Once you buy your computer, it no longer is new, it is already obsolete, yesterday's technology, a thing of the past.

XD

To make things worse, it's obsolete as soon as it is built. But then again, just like everything else. Only with computers is worse because of first-market value. Yeah, when I go to class, I watch them for the Economics.

Yo, about the whole Lounge reconstruction thing, I hope it doesn't end like what one would expect from "Irak 'resocialization'" contractors. I mean, people, the whole "Lounge-in-a-nutshell" was quite fun, but I sometimes wonder if I will ever have time to get up to speed if I miss two days more... Seriously people, rolling back in this thread is a task only for those who have already, well, valiantly rolled back here.
    Trying to follow the history of the Lounge Summary one has to go as long ago as here (or here for the schizo version, pure WIN, I have to rate that post).

And then, of course, one can miss bolded questions.

But yeah, go ahead, now that you will have a new machcine, Astinus. I'll be somewhere beneath a table quacking my fear to death.

So I was reading some things from the Intertubes while going on with my Esperanto course (because I am relearning) while on the other workspace I was putting down some nonsense in a document to work about it later. And I swear I don't know why, really, I don't understand, but I ended up here:

T. Satirsley's translation of Pokémon names

'WTF?' I said to myself. It looked ancient but quite interesting, only 1st Gen and from what I still remember from the language most of the names had made sense; and I of course thought, "hey, solovino (of course I was calling to myself with my real name here) why there's no 2nd Gen onwards?" I would expect the HG/SS GSDS fever to reach everywhere on the planet but no... The closest thing I found was the Vikipedio Listo de Pokemonoj but it has two HUGE drawback: 1.- it's up to 3rd gen only and sans Deoxys, and 2.- it's a pathetic list with the names being just simple phonetic conversions from the English ones or WORSE some just kept as-is with no justification whatsoever.

To be fair, when compared to the other Wikipedias (and even some Wikias), that one is as abandoned as the Cinnabar Mansion (and in the same sense).

So guess what became my guilty pleasure of a procastination for the rest of the day?

I'm almost finished with the names for 2nd Gen, and have advanced some of the 3rd and 4th Gen too (the fossils, the Eevelutions and some awesome ones such as the Bagon line). It has been quite an interesting challenge because I had to do some research and then try for the names to sound (and write) plausible, one can't just go and translate a literal expression. Some of them were easy (the Totodile line, for example) whereas others were just short of a PITA (Shuckle... just Shuckle...).

And then to add to the fun I tried spelling the names out loud (no I won't record it DON'T ASK!).

Next I'll format it all in a neato list.

I'm kinda tempted to upload and publish it once I'm finished for discussion and just because it would be one of my usual rarities, at least in the circles I usually delve in and serves me an excuse to keep going on the course while I make myself busy writing anything else...

Next time I'm trying Italian. I think that's one of the languages where the names are simply kept from the English.

The whole thing is as weird as when I first found VGCats, which mixes two of my favest things: videogames and cats. (and how![/i]) The laughasmic feeling was nigh-unbearable.

Oh, I'd rather go back and do something more interesting or valuable, which at this time would be sleep. But heck, this is the Lounge. So I'll roll back to previous subjects as I usually have to do. It's kinda weird, because my nickname in Spanish means something like "[third-person] came alone". It's also the name of a cat...

Oh dang it! The subjects!

The Cyborg Name Decoder
    S.O.L.O.V.I.N.O.: Synthetic Operational Lifeform Optimized for Violence, Infiltration and Nocturnal Observation

Now THAT I like!

And this:
    L.O.U.N.G.E.: Lifeform Optimized for Ultimate Nullification and Galactic Exploration

The (similar) Monster Name Decoder
    S.O.L.O.V.I.N.O.: Sinister, Offensive, Livestock-Obliterating, Villager-Injuring Nightmare of Oblivion

2× :shocked: !!!!

How long do you guys like to make your chapters? And do you conciously try to keep it within some limits? Breezy

I kinda make them long. Five or six thousand words each, that amounts to ~8 pages in OpenOffice.org. That's easy to work on because I know I am really exceeding myself if the page count reaches two digits. Not that laaaaarge chapters are wrong or anything, it's just not my style for writing.
    I try to hold myself but sometimes it just seems the chapter will go on to no end. That's what happened with "Sixth", it was originally to be a one-shot about 7K words, but I ended up splitting and even then the first third barely fits inside a post.

Chekhov's Gun...?

I have a case full of them in a story, so the case itself is a Chekov's Gun too. Or something like that. But the case was put on a moving truck for the time being. Am I understanding correctly in that it might go into Chekhov's Armory territory?

[Choose your Own Story]

I did not know about this kind of stories. This has caught my attention and that means I'll procrastinate even more so while I take just a quick look, OK? :D

It would work better if it was given its own website, so the "go to"s could be simple hyperlinks.
    And that sounds like something I could quickly setup a server for, if it wasn't because I'm procrastinating so much. Oh, and Val already put up the link to Writing dot com...

Sleepy...
    And I kinda don't have anything better to talk about so now I'm going to sleep.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Oh, you're back, welcome, welcome. *shakes hand enthusiastically.

On a side note: So this is what happens when one doesn't log in often and attempts to put his opinion in for all the past conversations. O_o

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
  • This laptop of mine is just over a year old, has been wiped twice and dropped too many times. Really, it's lucky to be alive.

BUT. I bought a Blackberry Pearl a month ago, and so that's my new computer-baby. It's awesome, and I can do anything on it! Shame I left it at home today...

Oh, you're back, welcome, welcome. *shakes hand enthusiastically.

On a side note: So this is what happens when one doesn't log in often and attempts to put his opinion in for all the past conversations. O_o

You'll need a lot of free time to go through all the pages and answer all the opions. Other than that, we'd love to read your opinions.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • While we're on the subject of electronic devices, I just got a Nokia Xpressmusic 5800. The latest nokia symbian smartphone. It's also a shame that sometimes it randomly switches off by itself. Still, the best phone I've ever had.

You'll need a lot of free time to go through all the pages and answer all the opions. Other than that, we'd love to read your opinions.
    I wonder how long it took. 0_o?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Valentine, I have a feeling I'll be using that thread. I've actually got a document on my computer titled 'Plot Buneary Zoo'. xD

Gizamimi Pichu

The Medic
    Years
  • *returns to FF lounge*

Geeze, this forum really is huge.

After seeing the Michael Jackson's ghost thread, I think I've decided that it is definitely safer in here. XD

Aaaand... I'm in time back to see Atsy come back. :D

Bay

Years
  • Ewwwww...Neo, you said the name of someone icky.

:O QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

*runs around like a headless chicken*

In any case, Astinus, welcome back! The revolution, oh yes! :D

*returns to FF lounge*

Geeze, this forum really is huge.

After seeing the Michael Jackson's ghost thread, I think I've decided that it is definitely safer in here. XD
    XD Speaking of Michael Jackson, I still can't believe my favorite anime Black Cat might have gotten inspiration from Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal video. Dang it, there's a black cat in there! XD;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back