• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Favorite Gym Design

Which gym designs do you prefer?

• Santalune

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cyllage

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Shalour

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Courmaline

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Lumiose

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Laverre

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Anistar

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Snowbelle

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Here's what I thought of the gyms in order that they appear.

1. I love the dewdrop spiderweb and the foliage surrounding the wooden apparatus. Though, there was some vibes of practicality remensient of a high-ropes course, walking across webs is a bit too farfetch'd. 8/10
    2. The rock wall was quite clever in fusing athletics with rock-type. That with the underground cascade, makes this my favorite gym. Beautiful and fun gym! 10/10
    3. The skating rink was a fun idea. Catch-up to a trainer and battle. A different take on the fighting-type gym which usually have a martial arts, boxing, or combat in general as its atmosphere. 9/10
    4. This gym was tad unpractical. The swinging and climbing up ropes amid a cylindrical tower wasn't too exciting and I can't see a gym like this in the anime. Not to mention, the giant slide at the end...not really tasteful/practical or fitting with the grass theme. The redeeming quality is the little study at the top of the tower...really interesting. 7/10
    5. Though I battle all of the trainers and therefore answer incorrectly, the trivia questions are sort of a homage to Kanto's Cinnabar Gym and are fun to include as a gym puzzle. Also, it's fitting that the trivia is fashioned as a game show given we are talking about the glitzy and flashy city of Lumiose. The colorful electric lighting and color palette really suited this gym. 9.5/10
    6. The dollhouse theme was pretty cute and definitely was reminiscent of Sabrina's Gym in Kanto. The designs of the various rooms were gorgeous, and though a bit unpractical raveling to room to room, it sort of works given the whimsical town and fairy-type gym. 9/10
    7. Okay. I just got the vibe like I was playing some odd mario galaxy/pokemon crossover. The gym is highly unpractical and not really tasteful. Walking along a narrow sheet of glass and teleporting to another thin sheet of glass is something that doesn't really seem like could be worked into the anime and is really doesn't feel like a true adventure. Pokemon does best when they anchor the world of pokemon in making it seem more realistic. 3/10
    8. Again, there is no practicality to the gym. I do think the rubix cube idea is interesting and somewhat relates to Avalugg and Crygonal as a geometric pokemon, however, It's a bit over the top and the slide at the end of the gym is just odd. These sorts of gyms take away that realistic anchor that makes the pokemon series more engaging. However, again, I will give some credit for the rubrics cube as a motif. 5/10

For me, I only disliked two of the gyms. The last two.

The standouts for me are the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th gyms in that order.

What about you guys? What gyms did or didn't appeal to you?

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Cyllage was definitely my favourite. The rock climbing was so new and original. I also really liked the vines and stuff in Courmaline. I liked how different it was and I won't lie, I felt a little bit like Tarzan as I swung from platform to platform. :P

I really didn't like the Laverre Faerie gym. I always hated Sabrina's gym and this one being so similar was just frustrating and boring, because the same idea has been used so many times before.

I didn't like Snowbelle either, I was hoping for something a little more elaborate/harder for the last gym and I found it to be a let-down overall.

Years
  • Cyllage and Anistar all the way..

Cyllage mostly because of how scenic it is inside. Wasn't really the most challenging, but thats pretty normal for the early Rock gym. But that Waterfall was just amazing, and I liked how the light peaked in over the top of the rockclimbing spire. You really had a sense of space in it, and it was probably the most practical gym of the lot.

Anistar blew my mind. Walked into the starting room and then it just peels all the way out like I just slipped into some other dimension filled with trainers. I'm assuming it's supposed to be some kind of observatory(?) Either way I thought it was neat and suited the sometimes mystical psychic types in the game.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I actually liked Laverre's spin-off of Saffron's gym. It fit the Fairy-type quite nicely, and wasn't all that hard to navigate, unlike others *cough*Snowbelle*cough*. Aesthetically, Anistar had a really cool gym as well.

Years
  • I picked Cyllage, Laverre and Anistar Gyms based on design alone.

Like the others said, I loved that rock-climbing puzzle in the Cyllage Gym which is new since previous Rock-type Gyms never seem to have a true puzzle of all sorts. Given Grant broke the tradition of Rock-type Gym Leaders always being the first Gym challenged in its respective region (as seen in Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh) it was nice to finally have a real puzzle in a Rock-type Gym.

The Laverre Gym being a throwback to Saffron Gym in Kanto is kinda cool, plus I love how it looks like a house and it fits in well with being a Fairy-type Gym. Not to mention the Gym Leader herself, Valerie is cute as heck.

But my absolute fave has to be Anistar Gym. I love the whole space/galaxy theme which fits in well with Olympia being a fortune teller or something. It's just such a beautiful Gym in general.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    I liked Lumiose Gym's roller coaster design alot, so I think that one was definately my favorite.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Anistar Gym blew my mind. That was one ohtf the coolest things I've ever seen, and to see it in a Pokemon game was even cooler. It reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy too (and I don't count that as a bad thing :D ).

A close second would be Cyllage Gym, the one with the climbing walls. I liked this one because I'm a fan of rock climbing, myself, and even though it didn't present a puzzle or anything, I felt the same sense of accomplishment when I reached Grant that I get when I successfully finish a climbing wall IRL :D

I also really liked Lumiose Gym. I love the way they replace the gym music with actual game show music and sound effects when you're answering the questions. And that music they play before they reveal the answer gets me tense every time, even when I know I got the answer right.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I liked Lumiose only cuz it reminded me of Blane's gym in Kanto

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really like Courmaline City's gym. Its interior is quite beautiful, and the obstacle isn't very difficult to get through either. To reach the leader, all you need to do was climb up ropes and swing from place to place. Along with that, Cyllage City's gym is my favorite as. There's a cliff that you'd need to climb, and once you're finally at the top, you get to see a big waterfall. To me, it looked very pretty. :] My third favorite gym would probably have to be the one in Anistar City.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Lumiose was my favorite. I loved how they had a "Who's that Pokemon?" puzzle. I feel as though Kalos was the perfect time to have this puzzle because they combined so many pokemon in their regional dex with similarities yet we should still technically know. I liked how several NPCs knew you were answering the easy questions incorrectly just so you could battle them.

I also voted Snowbelle, because it was really pretty and somewhat challenging for me. It reminded me a bit of a giant rubik's cube.

LicensedJet

Playing Pokémon Y ~
    Years
  • As the post above, Anistar City Gym is my favourite but not the only gym this generation I liked.
    The first time I saw it I was confused on the puzzle then it suddenly blew my mind!

Back