• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Steel-type?

Years
  • Yeah, as the title says, what's your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? Since Water and Dark were made i'd guess these threads are fine. Anyway, i'm not gonna go overboard and post ones for every type.

Anyway, my favorite has to be Aggron. It's a Pokémon I always found to be really cool, and despite its glaring weaknesses to Fighting and Ground (and Water for that matter), I still quite like it. It certainly helps that it gets STAB Head Smash with no recoil thanks to Rock Head, and a ton of cool attacks, even if quite a few of them are special attacks it shouldn't be using. :P And it got a Mega Evolution in Generation VI, which is like a one-sided Shuckle that can actually do something. I haven't tried that myself, but yeah. For me, Aggron is my favorite Steel-type. Skarmory is probably second, though. The metal bird I always found appealing for what that is, too.

So how about you guys? Discuss.

Takumi.

Heart of a Clockwork Child
    Years
  • Steelix. I know its no good competitively but when the original silver came out all those years ago, and you could trade an onix into that bad ass metal version. It looks like it should be a total weapon as a pokemon, shame it sucks competitively wise.

After that scizor, because scyther is a favourie :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I'd have to go with Skarmory for the same reason that flareblitz37 said the idea of an armored bird was interesting to me.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • In no particular order:

Mawile <3 Always been my favorite, even before mega evolutions.

Metagross: Cold, sturdy, super intelligent, just a bad*** Pokemon all around.

Bisharp: Just look at him. Enough said.

Spoiler:

Steelix. I know its no good competitively but when the original silver came out all those years ago, and you could trade an onix into that bad ass metal version. It looks like it should be a total weapon as a pokemon, shame it sucks competitively wise.

You're using it wrong :)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'd have to say Mawile after the recent Mega upgrade. It's been one of my most consistent Pokemon in battle and is always a good spot on the team when I need a Mega. Steel's never been one of my favorite types though to be honest. They're often very slow so it's hard to provide quick offense. Mawile's access to Sucker Punch though mitigates that. Not to mention the design is pretty unique. I think I heard it was from Japanese legend, but not completely sure.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it's definitely have to be Skarmory. I've used it plenty of times before when battling, and it has never failed me. Its Defense stat is absolutely heavy, making it a great physical-wall. It's got access to Roost, too; with that, it's able to recover itself whenever it wishes. It could set up entry hazards as well, which is a plus. Team this up with a special-wall such as either Chansey or Blissey, and the due would be almost impossible to stop. :] Second favorite is Jirachi, and Scizor would have to be third. Fourth's probably Metagross.

Years
  • Lucario.

It's got a badass design, excellent offensive typing, great stats, a powerful mega-evolution and an excellent move pool. By far one of the best pokemon out there.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • For me its a tie between Magneton and Aggron. Magneton has always been one of my favorite Electric and Steel types, he has a great SP ATT stat and i love to use him whenever i can. Aggron was on my team when i first played Sapphire, he is really bulky and can deliver a lot of damage. Plus his mega evo makes him a Megatron like badass.

Years
  • The Aggron family is one of my favorites overall, so I'd go ahead and give them the nod as my favorite Steel types, too. Metagross, Empoleon and Lucario are right up there too, and I've used each of them extensively in at least one of my previous playthroughs of a Pokemon game.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Steel is my least favorite type, because so many of them seem very robotic, rigid, or lacking of emotions. Excadrill is my favorite steel-type, followed by Lucario. Other steel types I like, such as Jirachi and Mawile, fittingly don't seem very metallic.

RandomMuffin

Dat Hack
    Years
  • For me it's a toss-up between Aggron, Metagross and Scizor. I love all of them, because they can all be tanky a and get great hits off. And they all look amazing. Although, looking through the thread, Excadrill and Lucario are also awesome steel-types that I'd forgotten had steel. I used to use them all the time. DECISIONS DECISIONS.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I've always liked Ferrothorn, and not just because it's a grass type. It's a great pokemon with a cool design and it's great competitively speaking as well. Great stats, a useful typing, what's not to love?

That, and Magnezone. I love that Magnet Pull ability since it gives me the option to pick off opposing Skarmory and Ferrothorn without a second thought.

Shhmew

Years
  • I don't like the steel type too much, so this was pretty easy :D

#3: Skarmory
    I've always thought Skarmory was so cool, and it's always intrigued me the way it can fly with wings made of pure steel. The fact that they're actually hollow, and its skin has become rough and sharp due to living in tough conditions, makes me feel like they put a lot of thought into this thing. Idk I've just always found Skarmory fascinating, and a great battler too. It also looks really cool. :3

#2: Mawile
    Mawile is adorable, but I've never actually used it before for some reason. I guess because its lowlowlow stats deterred me. But in Gen 6, when it gained a fairy typing and a mega evolution, I fell in love all over again. Both its regular and mega form have such a charming and quirky look, and I just love it so much. c: Definitely want to use one if I play through my X version again, even though they are a pretty big pain to find x.x

#1: Jirachi
    Of course, I have to pick this cutie as my number one favorite. I didn't even know it was steel type until a bit after it was released; I mean it certainly didn't look steel from the movie, and I certainly couldn't get my hands on one in game. But its steel/psychic typing give it awesome protection, and it has amazing coverage too. You can be so versatile with it, it's ridiculous. I loved it in its movie too, it was so sweet yet derpy and adorable and it's silly to think this is a legendary pokemon! haha. I really wish to own a legit Jirachi in my games one day... <3 It's just so cute and I'd love EV training it and making it awesome.

... For the record, Klefki was my #4, which is hilarious because I HATED that thing when I first saw it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Favorite Steel-type?

Back when Honedge was first revealed, I was so in love with it that I vowed to use one no matter how hard it sucked. As it turned out, Honedge evolved into perhaps the biggest game-changer of the sixth-gen metagame. Aegislash can tank in its shield forme and sweep in its blade forme, and its signature move, King's Shield, can cripple physical attackers that try to get the jump on it. Aegislash takes mindgames to a whole new level and I love it for that. ^_^

Circaoffire

Clueless Scripter :/
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2016
    Favorite Steel-type?

Back when Honedge was first revealed, I was so in love with it that I vowed to use one no matter how hard it sucked. As it turned out, Honedge evolved into perhaps the biggest game-changer of the sixth-gen metagame. Aegislash can tank in its shield forme and sweep in its blade forme, and its signature move, King's Shield, can cripple physical attackers that try to get the jump on it. Aegislash takes mindgames to a whole new level and I love it for that. ^_^
    #1 ^^^ This! I was determined to use it cause it was just so bad*** looking, and then I saw its type, and I love steel types, I really like ghost too. Then it turned into a pseudo 720 BST boss of a pokemon, and it was a done deal for me. I caught one soon as I could, and spent a couple hours trying to get a dusk stone in the minigames before I did anything else. Aegislash is my favorite steel type, and my favorite Pokemon from XY.

Shhmew #1: Jirachi Of course said:
    legendary[/i] pokemon! haha. I really wish to own a legit Jirachi in my games one day... <3 It's just so cute and I'd love EV training it and making it awesome.[/size]

#2 I totally agree. Jirachi is super adorable :D And I love it's typing too. One of my favorite legendaries. I will try and get a legit Jirachi too :3

#3 My number 3 Is Lucario. Awesome poke with an awesome typing, cool signature attack, and great role in the movie :D He doesn't look as cool as other megas, but he is still awesome as a mega.

Back