• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    *dusts self off*

Hello all. It feels like forever since I posted again in this forum! I went to PC for old time's sake and read my old posts. My, how time flies. I used to write so differently. That said, reading back on my old posts made me miss writing and roleplaying. I'll be lurking around the RPC for a journey-style RP to join (I miss doing those the most). I'd make my own, but after two failed attempts at moderating an RP, I'm not too ecstatic to try again orz

It's nice to see familiar faces still around! I don't know if any of you recognizes me though. I have been on and off since 2011 .-.
    I definitely remember you! I'm the 2nd person in your friend list xP

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
    Years
    I remember you, Ace :3 I was called Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers before. Welcome back!

Hello! I was actually reading the Begin, Again thread (the old one) and got a tad confused when I saw the OP had changed xD And thank you! It's nice to be back!

I definitely remember you! I'm the 2nd person in your friend list xP

Diamond?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
    Alright, to divert the conversation away from Lord Blarzigord all the randomness we've been having lately (pardon my blasphemy), I wanted to aks you guys a question - do you get anxious/nervous when writing in front of other people?

I remember a few years back when I did my first JP I was horribly nervous when typing with another person. If I knew they were watching I'd start writing slowly and horribly and mess up a lot. Thankfully now I've lost that feeling of insecurity but I still think back at when I was terrified of people "looking over my shoulder" when JPing.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
    *dusts self off*

Hello all. It feels like forever since I posted again in this forum! I went to PC for old time's sake and read my old posts. My, how time flies. I used to write so differently. That said, reading back on my old posts made me miss writing and roleplaying. I'll be lurking around the RPC for a journey-style RP to join (I miss doing those the most). I'd make my own, but after two failed attempts at moderating an RP, I'm not too ecstatic to try again orz

It's nice to see familiar faces still around! I don't know if any of you recognizes me though. I have been on and off since 2011 .-.

Hello, I joined in 2011 and ended here in 2013 I just did what you did.

On topic, I usually get nervous from giving people my work, incase of plagarism. I write novels outside of PC

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
    Alright, to divert the conversation away from Lord Blarzigord all the randomness we've been having lately (pardon my blasphemy), I wanted to aks you guys a question - do you get anxious/nervous when writing in front of other people?

I remember a few years back when I did my first JP I was horribly nervous when typing with another person. If I knew they were watching I'd start writing slowly and horribly and mess up a lot. Thankfully now I've lost that feeling of insecurity but I still think back at when I was terrified of people "looking over my shoulder" when JPing.

As president, I'd like to make a declaration to state that for the sake of the other, unenlightened members of the RPC, we shall hold back our worship of Lord Blarzigord. In time, he shall find the unenlightened and indoctrinate them himself with his divine energies. However for now he must wish for us to bide our time in subtle belief.

So it is stated in the Blargle.

*Ahem.* Now then, back to normal things.

I've never really been nervous when writing in front of others. I'm quite good at taking criticism as long as it isn't rude and unfounded and I've always been confident in my abilities and words, enough to have no fear when writing for a crowd. When writing I generally tend to type as fast as possible and then go back and correct any typos and such and I make sure to always inform fellow writers of this in the event of a joint post.

Have an idea in my head about a sci-fi esque roleplay wherein the characters are captured by <insert evil guys here> and forced to fight in an arena for the amusement of that world's general population. events unfold, **** gets crazy, players band together, fight for freedom etc.

not all players would necesarily work together, however. i was thinking of using an alignment system of sorts and having choices made by players affect the course of the plot rather than everyone just being along for the ride. like for example, players a, b & c manage to make it to an escape pod. evil guys offer player b money and freedom if they sabotage the escape pod so it cant fly away.

it wouldn't just be a whole players awkwardly band together, go through plot point 1, plot point 2 etc. it'd be more sandboxy than that, but still have certain plot points designed to drive it forward. sorry if my explanation sucked... lol, but just gauging interest. it would include you creating your own species of alien, their home planet etc, just for more fun.

This actually sounds really cool, I'd like to see something like this to add a bit of variety.

I'd love to see the idea expanded on a bit more in the future, if you made it into a solid RP I'd most likely join!

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
    Years
    Have an idea in my head about a sci-fi esque roleplay wherein the characters are captured by <insert evil guys here> and forced to fight in an arena for the amusement of that world's general population. events unfold, muk gets crazy, players band together, fight for freedom etc.

not all players would necesarily work together, however. i was thinking of using an alignment system of sorts and having choices made by players affect the course of the plot rather than everyone just being along for the ride. like for example, players a, b & c manage to make it to an escape pod. evil guys offer player b money and freedom if they sabotage the escape pod so it cant fly away.

it wouldn't just be a whole players awkwardly band together, go through plot point 1, plot point 2 etc. it'd be more sandboxy than that, but still have certain plot points designed to drive it forward. sorry if my explanation sucked... lol, but just gauging interest. it would include you creating your own species of alien, their home planet etc, just for more fun.

I'm interested in this idea. So the bad guys basically abduct species from different planets and make them duke it out, yeah? I'd love to see the plot fleshed out as well.

As for the question, I get very...protective of my writing. It's not that I don't want anyone to read them, in my opinion, that beats the whole point of writing them. It's just that, when it's still a work in progress, I'm usually very touchy on typos and grammatical errors. And it's not until I'm 110% confident with what I'm written that I let other people read them. Even then, I'd still be nervous with what I've written and the reaction that it will invite.

Foxrally

Years
    I made this

General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I can still ask my posting partner to leave the pad for a while when I type up emotional or dramatic scenes, haha. I feel self conscious and a bit nervous if I know that someone is watching every letter I type. In that sense, JPing over PMs here on PC was easier than using pads :)

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    A few years ago, I would have probably felt insecure and pressured about having someone watch every character I typed. But I think that I've improved as a writer and I'm confident in what I produced when I know I have put in my best. Besides, writing is the only way I can express myself in my own skin.

Years
    Have an idea in my head about a sci-fi esque roleplay wherein the characters are captured by <insert evil guys here> and forced to fight in an arena for the amusement of that world's general population. events unfold, shit gets crazy, players band together, fight for freedom etc.

That actually sounds so good.
    I'd love to see what you can do with it.

I'm pretty confident in my ability as a writer, I know I'm far from being as amazing as some of you guys on PC but I can hold my own so I don't really worry about writing with other people. I much prefer JPing over an etherpad to PMs since it is easier to fluidly discuss the plot of the post.

Foxrally

Years
    I much prefer JPing over an etherpad to PMs since it is easier to fluidly discuss the plot of the post.

This. I've never done PM-JPs before but they seem a lot more difficult, and etherpad JPing allows mistakes to be corrected easily and changes to be made quickly. There's been lots of cases where me/my partner don't know how to phrase something properly so we ask the other to help out.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
    All this talk of cool new RP ideas, progress in the RP corner and the methods with which individuals joint post makes me shed a tear for my own RP made but a few days ago only to be almost completely ignored with no applicants.

Oh... Ascent... my hearts cry out for you and the hours I spent in your creation. T_T

This brings me on to yet another question to ask... how do you all deal with the feeling of defeat and failure in RPs? It happens to us all, when that one post, RP or SU you worked so hard on is denied, rejected, made irrelevant or ignored for whatever reason. When that happens how do you all generally tend to react?

When I was younger I used to take criticism very badly and become bitter over irrelevant things... now, however, I try to take all criticism and failure on the chin nowadays in order to improve myself for next time.

Though I'd be lying if I said that when you feel like a lot of time and words were wasted that it stings like hell. (Oh Ascent... why hath Blarzigord forsaken you?!

Foxrally

Years
    All this talk of cool new RP ideas, progress in the RP corner and the methods with which individuals joint post makes me shed a tear for my own RP made but a few days ago only to be almost completely ignored with no applicants.

Oh... Ascent... my hearts cry out for you and the hours I spent in your creation. T_T

This brings me on to yet another question to ask... how do you all deal with the feeling of defeat and failure in RPs? It happens to us all, when that one post, RP or SU you worked so hard on is denied, rejected, made irrelevant or ignored for whatever reason. When that happens how do you all generally tend to react?

When I was younger I used to take criticism very badly and become bitter over irrelevant things... now, however, I try to take all criticism and failure on the chin nowadays in order to improve myself for next time.

Though I'd be lying if I said that when you feel like a lot of time and words were wasted that it stings like hell. (Oh Ascent... why hath Blarzigord forsaken you?!

I'll be very brutally honest with you - before I met you in the DCC, you were pretty much an unknown person in the RPC (not anymore thanks to the blessing of Lord Blarzigord), and 90% of the time RPs made by newcomers are either ignored/have poor applications. It's partly due to the clique-y nature of PC, but mostly because of the fact that most people don't know how good of a writer/GM you are. I see many newcomers to the RPC making a roleplay without joining any themselves, and it's disheartening when I see the RP fail miserably.

But now that you've gotten people interest and respect, I'm quite sure your RP will get more attention. I did actually read through the classing system and part of the lore (note that it was before I met you, so I considered you to be your average newbie back then) but I quickly felt overwhelmed by all the info - plus, I couldn't find any class to get into (I really want to try and get the character I showed you guys previously into a RP). But my main advice is, to all newcomers to the RPC, is not to post a roleplay too soon after joining. Make a name for yourself first, build up a post count (it's your main way to show your status and activity) and get experience. A lot of new members leave after their first week, and only a select few actually become regular members. It sucks to have a roleplay where the GM is gone, so that's another reason why RPs posted by newcomers aren't as popular.

Although now we all know you're a great guy, writer and a loyal worshipper to Lord Blarzigord, so that's out of the way :)

To answer your question, the only time I feel I failed in something RP-related is when I went on hiatus for too long and partially caused the closure of a roleplay (RIP Avatar: New Legends, you were deeply loves). I was bummed out for quite a while and it was one of the main reasons i left PC for a whole year.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
    I am working on a RP right now, and what you said really hit home to me, I think every single RP I have been in quickly went down hill, even ones hosted by a moderator. I've hosted two Roleplays in the past and one of them, a reboot of that older one, but both failed due to inactivity, on both the player and GM side. You just made me doubt whether my new Roleplay will fail, I have been here for four years, but I missed two of them, do I need to rebuild my profile, and I'd be devastated if this one failed. By the way I wanted not to spread my self too thin so I haven't joined any rps so I can roleplay my full extent there. Will you guys please join it when I have it up? I want it to be a success. Also is it a bad idea to make a new RP just after coming back, or what?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I am working on a RP right now, and what you said really hit home to me, I think every single RP I have been in quickly went down hill, even ones hosted by a moderator. I've hosted two Roleplays in the past and one of them, a reboot of that older one, but both failed due to inactivity, on both the player and GM side. You just made me doubt whether my new Roleplay will fail, I have been here for four years, but I missed two of them, do I need to rebuild my profile, and I'd be devastated if this one failed. By the way I wanted not to spread my self too thin so I haven't joined any rps so I can roleplay my full extent there. Will you guys please join it when I have it up? I want it to be a success. Also is it a bad idea to make a new RP just after coming back, or what?

I, as a complete noob to the PC RP scene, would say, get re-acquainted first. People are more likely to check threads by people that post a lot, are their friends or just have a general good rep. Play around in the pool of existing ones, to show people your RP skill and dedication. I feel that active players are sooner seen as better game masters, because it shows that they are dedicated to playing. But getting active again in the community wouldn't take that long I feel, and I think interacting with the members will get them interested sooner. That said, I feel that if the thread is just high quality and the story is great, that people would want to join anyway. It's a bit of a balancing act I think. You really just have to attract the core of the RP corner I think, and people will follow.

Foxrally

Years
    Also is it a bad idea to make a new RP just after coming back, or what?

IMO I wouldn't recommend it. I agree with MI that you should get reacquainted with the place, rekindle the fire of your creativity and RPing (I've said it before and will say it again - the Pokemon Academy is a really good place to start/re-start writing).

Also, css affects people's opinions a lot more than you think. Good css shows professionalism, and that the person knows what they're doing (in a sense).

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
    IMO I wouldn't recommend it. I agree with MI that you should get reacquainted with the place, rekindle the fire of your creativity and RPing (I've said it before and will say it again - the Pokemon Academy is a really good place to start/re-start writing).

Also, css affects people's opinions a lot more than you think. Good css shows professionalism, and that the person knows what they're doing (in a sense).
    Thats a problem, I don't even know how to do it, isn't it just an image rather than just text?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Thats a problem, I don't even know how to do it, isn't it just an image rather than just text?

It's a code language, but there are probably stock codes somewhere you could use...

Years

My usual method is to despair briefly (since I always put a lot of effort into creating my RPs) and to then make another RP almost immediately and immerse myself in that instead. It works wonders haha.

I can see why you and MI think what you do, but it isn't always the case. My very first post in the RPC was an RP and it did relatively well at first. I think if someone wants to jump into GMing they shouldn't feel dissuaded, but they should definitely do their research first.

adventure has a guide on some simple CSS available through the rules and resources thread. Or if you like I can teach you the basics.

It's a code language, but there are probably stock codes somewhere you could use...

There isn't really outside the guide I just mentioned. I would actually love to see a CSS resource thread available so that people who don't know CSS can have access to some cool templates for themselves.

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
    Years
    I used to get very affected when a character I worked very hard on gets rejected. I was a kid who didn't know how to take criticism very well. Now, though, I like to believe that I've matured enough to handle criticisms and use them as guides for my next endeavors. One of the reasons I didn't come back to PC for a long time was because we changed residences a few years back and after that, things got really busy and I left a lot of things unfinished here. When things were finally calming down, I was too afraid to check on the forum because of everything I left behind. I finally decided to do so two years ago (at least I think it was two years ago), and things went fine for a while, then it happened again. I got busy, and suddenly, I was afraid to go back again. Both times, I was running an RP and they were already started. Both times, I was participating in RPs that I loved. I feel like I failed and didn't know how to face my players/co-players so I hid.

I know those are not very good traits for a roleplayer, but I'm hoping to change that. I sincerely miss writing RP posts and just messing around with the characters I make.

That aside, the trend in the RPC do seem to lean towards those who use good CSS. I must admit, I was intimidated when I got back here two years ago and saw so many beautifully coded posts. It's not that hard to learn, though c: There's a guide here, though I learned better when I "reverse engineered" other users' CSS-coded posts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back