• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Going to war with Syria?

Years
    America has fired missiles into Syria, targeting an air base which they say is the source of a chemical attack on civilians. Obviously attacking civilians is indefensible, but I can't be the only one worried about what might come of this sudden escalation of America's involvement in Syria.

Is this the right course of action?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    No, no, and again, no!

It's so easy to point the blame at Syria for the chemical attack on the rebels but we don't know for a fact if they were behind it. Could have easily been a coup by some other group. Plus just hours before, Russia warned the US not to intervene on the Syria matter. So inevitably, we may have fucked ourselves over hard in relationships with Russia that may have been rocky to begin with.

I'm honestly nervous to go to bed now as I have no idea what I'm going to wake up to. It's not going to be good, that's for god damn sure.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    It's so easy to point the blame at Syria for the chemical attack on the rebels but we don't know for a fact if they were behind it. Could have easily been a coup by some other group. Plus just hours before, Russia warned the US not to intervene on the Syria matter. So inevitably, we may have ****ed ourselves over hard in relationships with Russia that may have been rocky to begin with.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/donald-trump-syria-military/index.html

There were Russians at the air base, so its possible some were killed. However, they were warned prior to the attack, though I do think this will inevitably damage relations with Russia.

I dont have an opinion at the moment until more information is released.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/donald-trump-syria-military/index.html

There were Russians at the air base, so its possible some were killed. However, they were warned prior to the attack, though I do think this will inevitably damage relations with Russia.

Like I can't tell if this is Trump almost putting the ball in Russia's court now to say "hey you're backing us now right" to an extent. Russia is supposed to be essentially the shield of Syria right? So I'm very, very nervous about how Russia is going to react as its a decision that will have enormous ramifications.

To make matters even more complicated, this was done in the middle of a meeting with the president of China. Now while I know that the meeting started multiple hours ago before the bombing, I don't know for a fact if they were in the same room when it happened or if China's president was notified of what was to happen. Could this potentially damage the relationship with China if they weren't notified then? Or bolster the relationship if China's president was notified and they consented on the decision?

Too many questions, not enough answers right now.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I shockingly approve of this airstrike, despite him not asking congress for permission, and I'm one of his biggest critics. Something had to be done. That place is out of control, and this latest genocide shouldn't have gone unanswered, and it didn't.

We'll deal with Russia and other consequences later.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Shooting tomahawk missiles at an airbase is not the "something that needs to be done" in this situation. We're not just going to "deal with Russia later" either thats how you start a war.

There's a few ways Russia will respond.

I think they are going to sanction against us personally. Which would be Ironic.

or

Possibly elements on the ground might spring it into a flashpoint by taking out US jets in the AO

or

They are going to target US interests, such as the destroyer that fired on the base or something else

or

The least likely, Go to war with us, at which point I cant wait to rub it in all the people who voted for him's faces that he started WWIII within 3 months of his presidency.

Either way 3 months into his presidency we have a major diplomatic incident that we are going to feel the ramifications for a while. All because he had to think with his cock instead of getting someone with a brain to make up for his lack of one.

Oh and lets not forget that there is NO SOLID PROOF that the Government forces used chemical weapons, so again Donald Dipshit is talking with his cock again without evidence. But this time it might cause the lives of many Soldiers. And I hope to hell we can lay every one of their coffins right on that cunts front lawn. Syrian, Russian, and States soldiers.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Hillary Clinton just today said that we should be bombing their runways and airports so they could no longer launch attacks like this. Would you still be rubbing it in the faces of those people had she been elected president and a theoretical WWIII started? I don't think so.

And what's all this "we" nonsense? You're in the UK. Russia isn't going to declare war on you.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    This is hands down the stupidest thing Tangoman has done yet. Zero actual proof that Assad was behind the chem attack. UN haven't found anything solidly linking Assad and we know for a fact the Sarin attacks in 2013 were 'Rebels' and we know for a fact that ISIS have mustard gas because they tried to use it on US troops in Iraq in late 2016.

This is completely illegal and it's going to likely lead us into WW3.

Hillary Clinton just today said that we should be bombing their runways and airports so they could no longer launch attacks like this. Would you still be rubbing it in the faces of those people had she been elected president and a theoretical WWIII started? I don't think so.

And what's all this "we" nonsense? You're in the UK. Russia isn't going to declare war on you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...861425/russian-bombers-fly-british-skies.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...h-scotland-lossimouth-coningsby-a7571691.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-russia-a-growing-threat-to-uk-says-mi5-head

Given your country's track record of sending our boys to die, and us receiving retributive attacks over your wars I'd say it's a dead cert that when you kick off WW3 we'll be in Ivan's line of fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    Is this the right course of action?
    It's not right but it's expected.

The chem attack was likely a false flag in order to justify war against Syria, don't forget this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_Syria's_chemical_weapons

Looks like Syria's chemical weapons has become myth like Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Edit:
    That place is out of control
    It will be even more out of control if Assad is taken out of power, see what happened to Libya.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    It's not right but it's expected.

The chem attack was likely a false flag in order to justify war against Syria, don't forget this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_Syria's_chemical_weapons

Looks like Syria's chemical weapons has become myth like Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Edit:

It will be even more out of control if Assad is taken out of power, see what happened to Libya.

I don't usually agree with you on many things here, but you're right on the money this time. Assad is a far lesser evil than the alternative.

Years
    I'm not fully up to date on this situation but from my understanding it can be broken down into a few points.

1. Trump, with no real proof, decided Assad gassed his own people.
    2. Trump, despite it having nothing to do with him, decided that meant he should drop 59 missiles on a Syrian base - proof be damned.
    3. He did this without consulting Russia, his best friends, whilst in the presence of his nemesis from China - despite the presence of Russian soldiers on the base.
    4. Plus, all this happened outside of congressional approval as per usual.

So we're three months in and not only is Syria going to become even less stable, but US-Russia relations are going to shit again despite Trump apparently planning on fixing that situation. Three months in and already a diplomatic incident with the potential to start a world war. Because Trump has pissed off the people he was apparently going to make nice with. Now can we say we told you so?

Onward to a few of the things people have said/will say more of.

Firstly, if this does lead to war - a very real possibility - it won't just be the US and Russia. If those two countries go to war, everyone does. For starters, any war the US is involved in Australia, New Zealand, the UK and probably Canada also get yanked into because of the treaties we have in place. Secondly, Russia also have allies. It'd spiral into a very shitty and potentially nuclear situation.

Secondly, the fact that Clinton and Obama would likely have done something is irrelevant. They didn't make this decision, Trump did. You can't try and distract from how very foolish this was on Trump's part by trying to point fingers at other politicians. I am so very tired of people trying to do that. As aside though, they also wouldn't have done anything in such a breathtakingly stupid way.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years

I hate Clinton too, so probably. But at least from what I've seen she wouldn't act on a hunch that they did this without any proof. Not that this matters though, because Clinton isn't president, so what she would have done is completely irrelevant.

Speaking of no evidence. Please tell me how the government (who is winning the war) would benefit from gassing it's people more than it would benefit the Rebels. It makes zero sense that they would do that, which draws the international eye against them in a poor light.

Meanwhile the rebels, and terrorists, just benefitted from the U.S obliterating an Air Base and killing 9 people.

Also I don't live in the UK. My pair had his location as the American counterpart to his town so I set mine to the English counterpart. I live in New Hampshire. Sure wish I lived in the UK though, access to the rest of the world so I can move to a small irrelevant country rn.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I would say that since the Syrians are in a civil war it's something they need to sort out themselves and no one else should take part in it at all, but this is the USA. The country's done it before several times over the decades and has never seemed to want to stop so....

But yes, hasty decision, and I imagine there were other options than "bomb a Syrian base".

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Too much hyperbole in this thread. I'm out.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I mean, it is a possibility. Though personally I'd rather just wait and see what happens instead of making bets.

I'm not just talking about the "WW3 is happening!111!1!" people. The people calling the gassing a false flag attack are sickening. No matter who did it. Just an insult to the dead. Just as bad as people who called Sandy Hook and 9/11 false flags.

Reactions: Nah
    Back