• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] GT 2021 Pokémon Challenge: Baton Pass

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Radio's third segment
    Save: WizardOfOdd's Platinum
    Segments: 10 -> 9
    Stretch: Badge 2

Pretty chill to work with. Monferno and Staravia made this a doozy. Also Pachirisu (my Charmer and also mine) was actually kinda useful.

Radio's fourth segment
    Save: Cookie's Heart Gold
    Segments: 9 -> 8
    Stretch: Badge 4

Had to grind a Pokémon all the way from level 6 to mid 20s. Wasn't fun. Still, Noctowl (my Attracter and also mine) trolled Morty hard because it was immune to 75% of its attacks lol. Was worth it just for that.

Radio's fifth segment
    Save: WizardOfOdd's Platinum
    Segments: 8 -> 7

Same as the last time. Lucario was a bit annoying but nothing impossible to deal with. Pachirisu is still my charmer, still mine, and still useful if only due to Pickup, so yay! Also, I got all the Moo Moo Milks.

Years
  • 💧 Name: Ash Ketchup
    💧 Team: Caelum
    💧 Trainer Class (optional, just aesthetic): Aroma Lady
    💧 Games that you can play for this challenge: Should be good for Gens 1-3, possibly HG/SS
    💧 Game of choice (you can write this bit later if you need some time to work it out with your team): OG Blue!
    💧 Player name (in said game): Taylor

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Hi here is my mega update with all the segments I've done so far! Kept the updates brief as I could to save the wall of text.
    Segments done: 7/12
    Segments left: 5/12

Rules for all segments

#1: Your Pokémon may not hold any items.
    #2: You cannot backtrack to any area you've already visited, unless it's for story reasons.
    #3: You may only catch three Pokémon per segment, so choose wisely! Gifted Pokémon such as your starter do not count towards this rule, however.

Segment 1: Own Save File (Emerald) - 1st Badge

• Started the game and called my trainer Sophie
    • Picked Loomie the Treecko as my starter
    • Grinded on the route north of Oldale Town before defeating Brendan
    • Caught Taco the Lotad on the route west of Oldale Town (1st catch)
    • Caught Dee Dee the Taillow on the route west of Petalburg City (2nd catch)
    • Helped get the goods back from Team Aqua
    • Grinded with the help of moves such as Absorb/potions until Pokemon were decently levelled
    • Loomie evolved into Grovyle
    • Defeated Roxanne with Grovyle for the 1st badge
    • Levels after the gym: Grovyle (16), Taillow (11), Lotad (7)

Team + badge proof:
    Spoiler:

Segment 2: Sheep's Save File (Emerald) - 3rd Badge

• Travelled up to Slateport
    • Stocked up on Paralyz Heals and Antidotes to train on the route north with the Electrike and Gulpin
    • Caught Al the Electrike (1st catch)
    • Kimberley the Geodude evolved to Graveler whilst training
    • Caught Cutie the Gulpin but it was sent to the PC (2nd catch)
    • Defeated Wattson without trouble due to Kimberley the Graveler and Rollie the Marshtomp for the 3rd badge

Team + badge proof:
    Spoiler:

Segment 3: Shahar's Save File (Heartgold) - 2nd Badge

• Caught Sheep the Mareep in honour of Janna (1st catch)
    • Caught Ratty B the Rattata as a HM slave (2nd catch)
    • Used the Pokemon Center on Route 32 to assist with grinding with the no backtracking rule, levelled up Rocky the Onix mostly
    • Defeated Team Rocket at the well
    • Had a straightforward gym battle using Quilava and Onix, defeating Bugsy for the 2nd badge
    • Party after gym: Quilava, Onix, Mareep, Rattata

Badge proof:
    Spoiler:

Segment 4: Own Save File (Emerald) - 3rd Badge

• Taco the Lombre became exclusive to Shahar due to their rule so I could not use it anymore
    • Grinded on Route 110 for Kadabra and Grovyle
    • Kadabra owned Brendan
    • Dee Dee evolved to Swellow
    • Took on the gym, Kadabra and Grovyle swept to defeat Wattson for the 3rd badge

Team + badge proof:
    Spoiler:

Segment 5: Lycanthrophy's Save File (Platinum) - 2nd Badge

• Caught Emmie the Ponyta for Gardenia (1st catch)
    • Caught Bebe the Bidoof as a HM slave (2nd catch)
    • Evolved Solum the Turtwig into Grotle
    • Evolved Shinx into Luxio (the nickname escapes me)
    • Caught Felix the Buizel at Valley Windworks (3rd catch)
    • Defeated Team Galactic without issue
    • Shoutout to Cheryl for healing me throughout Eterna Forest making grinding without backtracking a pleasant experience
    • Destroyed Gardenia with Emmie the Ponyta for the 2nd badge

Badge proof:

Spoiler:

Segment 6: saniachan's Save File (Black) - 4th Badge

• Withdrew Winston the Tranquil and also Ziggy the Blitzle since Loomie's nuzlocke rule does not apply to me
    • Beat up Bianca without issue
    • Beat up Cheren also!
    • Caught Crikey the Sandile (1/3 catches)
    • Trained in the desert
    • Had to continue and healed at Nimbasa City
    • Defeated N at the Ferris Wheel
    • Spent 10 minutes searching for the gym and realised it was where I'd started looking
    • Went through gym, during this time Crikey the Sandile evolved into Krokorok
    • Gym was manageable with Crikey the Krokorok and also Courtney the Darumaka
    • Defeated Elesa for the 4th badge

Team + badge proof:
    Spoiler:

Segment 7: Eleanor's Save File (Black) - 5th Badge

• Crossed the bridge to get to Driftveil City
    • Cruised through the Cold Storage
    • Nora the Sewaddle evolved into Leavanny from high enough friendship!
    • Clay was manageable with Palpitoad and Leavanny without much grinding!
    • Defeated Clay for the 5th badge

Badge proof
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Radio's sixth segment
    Save: professor plum's Sapphire
    Segments: 7 -> 6

Same thing as last time I did Hoenn, really. Get a Skitty (Attract + mine), grind everybody up for the next person and beat Brawly. This time Skitty soloed Makuhita without even taking dammage, lol.

Radio's seventh segment
    Save: Ash Ketchup's Blue
    Segments: 6 -> 5

None of the moves I have to teach even exist this generation, so. Easy peasy, I guess I'll claim Pikachu as mine, since Wartortle is just generally useful and Nidoking will come in handy for Surge and Erika.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • SEGMENT 2
    Save: HeroLinik's Ruby
    Save file name: LINIK
    Segments remaining: 10
    Badges obtained: 3

Grinding, and a Long Wait
    I received my save, and ran into issues. Apparently I needed to do some immense grinding because some of the trainers on Route 109 were prepared to whoop me. After several hours of intense grinding on Route 110, I got my team to around the low 20s, reintroduced Mudkip into my team, and trained him up to around the same levels as my other team members, evolving into Marshtomp in the process. Clearing out all the other areas, I went in and whooped Wattson with no sweat.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Eleanor's eight gamble
    Save played: Sheep - Pokémon Emerald
    Segments left: 5 → 4

So... I did story stuff most of the time. That was alright! I kept the team mostly unchanged, with Manectric, Swampert, Swellow and Aggron still there, but had to make some new additions later, and swapped out Torkoal for some new Pokémon that could easily get carried and get experience with the Exp Share. And then, after getting Rayquaza to do stuff, I set off to grind like a maniac inside the Sky Pillar.

A dangerous place that is, with Claydol exploding on me or Banette with Curse. But the experience was so much I couldn't get out of there! And while I lost a Tentacruel to Shelly, Team Aqua Admin, back in Seafloor cave, the second one I caught was trained up there relatively quickly. Same goes with the savior of this segment... a Lotad I bred specifically for Juan.

See, my biggest problem going into this was Juan's Kingdra, with Double Team, Rest, and essentially no weakness. I wanted a Tentacruel to poison it and take hits (although eventually Rest made me forego that strategy - I kept Tentacruel around mostly just for taking hits), but I eventually settled for Leech Seed Ludicolo, which I had to breed by using a Breloom I caught way back and a Lotad that Sheep caught all the way back on her first segment. Let's admit, that was incredibly worth it. The team now has two water types who don't share weaknesses and are very strong - not to mention, Rollie is almost level 60 at this point.

One last segment to complete this save - not sure who it will go to, but it will be amazing! <3

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Rules:
    #1: You may not use any Pokémon that was caught in Great, Ultra, Safari or Master Balls.
    #2: You may not use any Fire, Electric or Fairy type Pokémon.
    #3: Your maximum team size is reduced to 4.​

Segments left:
    8 → 5​

PokeGuy's Ruby - Winona
    GT 2021 Pokémon Challenge: Baton Pass

My grand reunion with the shiny Electrike I caught in a previous segment was cut short as I had to box all Electric- (and Fire-, and future Fairy-) types right after opening the save file. I continued the journey with Pelipper and Hariyama, who were the highest leveled in the party, and picked up Castform at the Weather Institute after defeating Courtney and her lackeys. With the ban on Electric-types during my segments, I ended up training Castform for the Fortree Gym, and he did great with Hail + Weather Ball against Winona's Flying-types, with a little help from Pelipper who took care of her Skarmory.

M2's Ruby - Norman

Boxed anything I wasn't allowed to use, either because of my own rules, or my teammates having to box/pick their own Pokemon. Continued the journey with StrayDemon the Sandslash, who was already at a great level, Gwyn the Masquerain, and Kalameet the Swablu cutie in a Premier Ball. Caught BeadyEyes the Shroomish and evolved it into Breloom, who proceeded to Mach Punch his way through all of Norman's trainers. The actual Gym battle was a combination of Breloom's Leech Seed + Mega Drain + Mach Punch, Masquerain's Intimidate, Sandslash's Slash, and Swablu cheering from the side xD

Bowsori's Ruby - Wattson

Got my original file back from Bowsori, and immediately put Mudkip back on the team, since he had to be boxed earlier because of Bowsori's HM rule. Went through Granite Cave to deliver the letter, backtracked to Petalburg to get the Exp. Share, then made my way to Slateport with Bobble the Breloom and Skipper the Mudkip. Battled every trainer I could find, and soon enough Mudkip evolved into Marshtomp. On my way to Mauville there was the rival battle, which was a cinch thanks to the combined efforts of Marshtomp and Breloom. The Mauville gym was again easy-peasy, and with that, we are 3 badges in on another save file.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years

• Some of tonight's updates coming from Discord! That's 100 points more for Caelum and 50 more for Aecor <3

Years
  • 💧 Professor Plum

Tyler - Pokémon Sapphire [1.1]
    Rules:
    #1: You may only evolve one Pokémon per segment. Choose wisely!
    #2: You cannot use any Yellow Pokémon in battle (check here!)
    #3: At least one of the Pokémon you will use against your segment's Gym Leader / Trial Captain must learn Destiny Bond, Grudge, Curse, Taunt or Torment. For the rest of the segment (and the one after yours), it will have to stay in the team at all times, even if other rules make it unusable in battle. If there is no eligible Pokémon at all you can catch, you can skip this rule.

Segment 2 - WizardOfOdd's 4th Segment of Platinum

Monferno learned one of my required moves, Taunt!

Caught and evolved a Shellos.

Also caught a spare Staravia for Fly (because Radio's is in the PC and cannot be used by anyone else), as well as a Roselia.

Beat Crasher Wake.

Segment 3 - My 4th Segment of Sapphire

Evolved my Kirlia to Gardevoir.

Put Lombre back on the team, and caught him up to the rest of the team.

Took on Flannery.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Radio's eighth segment
    Save: Ash Ketchup's Blue
    Segments: 5 -> 4

Same thing as last time, still claimed Pikachu as mine.

Radio's ninth segment
    Save: professor plum's Platinum
    Segments: 4 -> 3
    Stretch: Badge 6

Again, same thing as last time. Still have Pachirisu as Charmer, and Staraptor as mine (Normal + Flying pairs very well with the "Only use moves of the same type" rule).

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years

• Discord update - 50 points for Aecor as another Ruby save... yeah another one, reaches 3 badges~

Years
  • 💧 Professor Plum

Rules:
    #3: At least one of the Pokémon you will use against your segment's Gym Leader / Trial Captain must learn Destiny Bond, Grudge, Curse, Taunt or Torment. For the rest of the segment (and the one after yours), it will have to stay in the team at all times, even if other rules make it unusable in battle. If there is no eligible Pokémon at all you can catch, you can skip this rule.

Segment 4 - WizardOfOdd's 7th Segment of Platinum

Beat Candice. Gave the badges a much needed lil polish.

Current team. Infernape still knows Torment. :femme2: No Pokémon evolved during this segment.

Years
  • Keeping it brief as honestly I've forgotten half of what has been going on, but here's where I am!

Ruleset

#1: You may not use any Female Pokémon in battle (unless they're a gift, such as the starter).
    #2: If a Pokémon knows a move with less than 80% Precision, it cannot be used in battle.
    #3: You may only evolve one Pokémon per segment. Choose wisely!

Games Played

Pokémon Leaf Green - Original game, defeated Brock as Segment 1
    Pokémon Fire Red - Taken over from bobandbill, defeated Lt. Surge as Segment 2

Badges Earned

2 - Boulderbadge in Leaf Green and Thunderbadge in Fire Red.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years

• Solum coming through with the first save of this challenge to reach the Hall of Fame! Vendily has just completed Sheep's original save file in Pokémon Emerald <3

Years
    • Seen today

Vendily's Baton Pass Segment #3

Personal Rules
    1. At least one of the Pokémon you will use against your segment's Gym Leader / Trial Captain must learn Destiny Bond, Grudge, Curse, Taunt or Torment. For the rest of the segment (plus the one after that), it will have to stay in the team at all times, even if other rules make it unusable in battle. If there is no eligible Pokémon at all you can catch, you can skip this rule.
    2. All of the Pokémon in your team must know a HM move, in the games where they're available.
    3. While in battle, you can only select moves that correspond to your Pokémon's type.

Playing on Sheep's Emerald save, I was responsible for the final segment, The Elite Four and Champion Wallace. Before I could start, I had to backtrack to the Trick House to solve some puzzles and grab TM12 Taunt to teach to Ryland. After also teaching Flash to Marco, I was ready to head out to the League.

I had to grind a while to get to a point that I could safely take on the League, especially when it came to PP. Had to spend some time growing more Leppa Berries! Most of the grinding was against the E4 itself, since you get more EXP, though some was in Victory Road for some targeted levels for some of the mons. Had to get to a point that I'm either faster or can one/two hit kill anything.

Extremely grateful for Leech Seed that Eleanor breed onto Nessa the Ludicolo, that was super helpful while grinding. :)
    Fun fact, I was gonna grind more, but I accidently walked into the E4 while going to restore PP, and just... kept going.

Current Stats

Playtime: 102:58
    Badges: 8 + Hall of Fame
    Pokemon:
    • ROLLIE (Swampert) Lv 69 [Surf, Earthquake, Protect, Water Pulse]
    • Marco (Manectric) Lv 58 [Spark,Charge, Thunder, Flash]
    • Ryland (Aggron) Lv 56 [Iron Tail, Taunt,Strength, Rock Smash]
    • LINDA (Swellow) Lv 52 [Wing Attack, Aerial Ace, Endeavor, Fly]
    • Nessa (Ludicolo) Lv 51 [Giga Drain, Bullet Seed, Leech Seed, Waterfall]
    • Emma (Tentacruel) Lv 60 [Surf, Acid, Dive, Toxic]

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Completed the challenge earlier today, it was very fun experience and I enjoyed it. Since I got very easy rules and Flash is dead, I decided not to use Flash in order to make caves more challenging.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Eleanor's ninth rush
    Save played: Eleanor - Black
    Segments left: 4 → 3

Really not much to report here. No changes were made to the team, just grinding with a lucky egg and exp share on the various trainers! I caught some Pokémon in Chargestone cave, yes, but nothing that I ended up using in the end - this team is already very strong! And Boldore has an Eviolite so he's not as bad as you'd think.
    Zebstrika, also named Rush and caught by Sheep all the way back during her segment, singlehandedly defeated Skyla, handing Solum 50 more points for this save!

Not sure who this will go to, all I know is that I've completed my standard 9 segments... only the bonus 3 remain!

Last edited:
    Years
  • 💧 Professor Plum

Rules:

Segment 5 - InsaneBlathers's Ruby

Caught Groudon

Taught Sharpedo a required move (Taunt)

Beat Wallace

Current team

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years

• Quick update from Discord - that's 50 more points for Solum as another save reaches 3 badges <3

Back