• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Happiness

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    This is a more lighthearted thread as per the desire of some people on the forum who want a more relaxed thread to post in while not being overly informal or whatever.

What advice/info do you have on how to be happy? What ideas do you have about happiness in general?

Years
  • I think in general it's probably a bit silly for any person to give advice on how another can be happy. Happiness is based on what the individual enjoys doing and who they enjoy being with, so you can't really give advice that applies to you because it might apply to another person.

Really the only advice you can give is "do what you like with people you like".

Years
  • Acceptance is the first step to happiness, or at least moving past sadness. I think that's something that isn't stressed enough in our culture today. I think making peace with one's environment and circumstances is a big part of both maturity and happiness.

This might be my conservatism talking. I do have a bit of that in me.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I think in general it's probably a bit silly for any person to give advice on how another can be happy. Happiness is based on what the individual enjoys doing and who they enjoy being with, so you can't really give advice that applies to you because it might apply to another person.

Really the only advice you can give is "do what you like with people you like".

I think that's oversimplifying things. So many people spend their lives chasing what they think will make them happy, treating it as if it's some end goal where once it is achieved, it stays that way forever. Foolish, but I digress. Many treat it as their ultimate goal in life. Clearly, there are people who are very much lost in that regard and I don't see the silliness in getting some thoughts on the subject.

Years
  • I think that's oversimplifying things. So many people spend their lives chasing what they think will make them happy, treating it as if it's some end goal where once it is achieved, it stays that way forever. Foolish, but I digress. Many treat it as their ultimate goal in life. Clearly, there are people who are very much lost in that regard and I don't see the silliness in getting some thoughts on the subject.

That's fair. I guess my point is just that ultimately you're the one responsible for your own happiness. Does that make more sense?

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • Don't expect other people to make you happy when the only person who knows what you really want in this life, deep inside, is you.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    That's fair. I guess my point is just that ultimately you're the one responsible for your own happiness. Does that make more sense?

Yes, that is correct. Ultimately, you have to be the one to decide what makes your life worth it. I think most people go about it the wrong way, though. People tend to treat happiness or satisfaction as a destination that once reached, cannot be left. As if it's a state of permanence - and in my eyes, that's an incredibly toxic way to go about things. Enjoyment of life has to take in the reality that things will not last, that sadness and dissatisfaction will return again, for whatever reason. And that's fine; sadness doesn't rule out happiness, they're not necessarily mutually exclusive things. And I think a lot of people have a big problem realising that.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Acceptance is the first step to happiness, or at least moving past sadness. I think that's something that isn't stressed enough in our culture today. I think making peace with one's environment and circumstances is a big part of both maturity and happiness.

I completely agree.

I also believe that proactivity towards not being sad is a huge part of being happy. If something bothers you, change it.

Years
  • Acceptance is the first step to happiness, or at least moving past sadness. I think that's something that isn't stressed enough in our culture today. I think making peace with one's environment and circumstances is a big part of both maturity and happiness.

I'd say it's more about accepting oneself more than one's environment. Once you know yourself you can find different ways to integrate (or not) into your environment, find out how you fit into the world.

Years
  • I'd say it's more about accepting oneself more than one's environment. Once you know yourself you can find different ways to integrate (or not) into your environment, find out how you fit into the world.

That's interesting. I think one's individuality is inextricably constructed by their environment. So I'd say that you can't fully accept yourself without coming to peace with your environment, which isn't the same thing as accepting it wholesale.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Happiness... feels very difficult. Maybe it's just exclusive to me. But it feels like a fleeting thing that you have to cherish if the stars align themselves correctly. Misery is so much easier to succumb to. There is a lot to be angry and upset about in this world. It requires so much hard work, I can't even explain it. Day to day, a constant battle. Regulating thoughts, making sure the toxicity levels stay down... especially when your brain is as messed up as I am. Even when you think you're the luckiest person in the world, and you have it so good, logic has nothing to do with it. Because something will eventually misalign the thoughts in your mind.

I agree that it isn't a permanent state. No, emotions are too fleeting for that. It's a fierce battle all the way up until the day you die. To me, it isn't about what's around me, but what's inside of me. I keep the battle in there, because that is what is truly relevant when you don't have much control over your life.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    If we look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, whereby you generally need to have fulfilled each low rung to go the the one above it, I think it's fair to say that happiness would fall within the Esteem or Self-Actualization rung. I do believe that one can be happy without being self-actualized, though,

As Arylett Charnoa said, I don't think happiness is something you achieve once and retain forever. Most importantly, we can't rely on outside things to make us happy. There's a strong cultural narrative that you will be happy if you have a great romantic partner, an amazing job, and all of the best luxury items. I believe that happiness is something that has to come from within ourselves in order for it to be strong and long-lasting. In that way, I think our perceptions, our feelings about ourselves and the world around us and so on, play a key role in finding inner peace and happiness. It's definitely something most of us have to learn and work on, imo.

~Psychic

Years
  • I want to say something about this, but honestly I'm having a hard time coming up with something to say. I guess I'll just wing it and maybe I'll come up with something good.

For me, happiness has been hard to come by for most of my life. When it does come, it's mostly been in short bursts, then it's over pretty quickly. But I think about my life in the past, when I was more alone. Things that made me happy back then were just things that I enjoyed doing, just having fun. But the happiness felt weak, faded, like a small taste of something that could have been greater. I could go places, I could do things, and I might have fun. But it wasn't very satisfying, and I didn't really realize it until... well, not until I started typing this up, actually.

Now that I have my fiance, someone who has similar interests as me, someone who I can be my true self around, when I do things I enjoy I feel even happier than I did in the past. I've always watched shows or movies, played video games, gone places, but when I do these things with her I find myself enjoying it even more. I never felt that way doing things with my family, really, so when I first started hanging out with her, I just kind of got overwhelmed with happiness. I would be happy doing just about anything with her, even if it was just painting a fence.

Looking back on things, it honestly doesn't even feel like I was happy at all back before I met her. What I'm starting to understand out of all of this is that I basically have her as a source for my happiness. It's not like I've been completely unhappy without her, it's more that her presence helps my happiness and joy grow exponentially.

I'm not sure that everyone can get the same joy out of a relationship like mine, though. Other people would likely have different sources that help to enhance their levels of happiness. For some it could be an amazing job, or a hobby that they love. But I think that everyone has some sort of 'happiness amplifier', so to speak. Something that makes everything you do a thousand times more enjoyable. That's what people need to try and search for in order to ascend to a greater level of happiness.

You can still be happy without something like that, I'm sure. But it takes more hard work. It's much easier to look past the bad and see the positives of life if you do. In the end, just thinking positively about everything is what makes happiness possible, and it's easy for me to see the positive in anything with Arylett by my side.

Years
  • That's interesting. I think one's individuality is inextricably constructed by their environment. So I'd say that you can't fully accept yourself without coming to peace with your environment, which isn't the same thing as accepting it wholesale.
    Well, I mean, if you were, say, a young gay kid in a town that wasn't accepting, you can come to terms with yourself and then leave town. If you'd not running from some problem but instead getting out of a bad situation then you don't really have to come to peace with or accepting of a place if you're kinda disowning it.

But yeah, generally, acceptance is important all around. Understanding where you are mentally and emotionally as well as physically is good so you can make good choices for yourself.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
  • Well, I know I may be new here, but I hope you can forgive an old busybody for butting into your conversation.

Now, I've spent a lot of time reading out of a lot of different philosophers, but I never was the academic sort and I can't manage to present their views in any real way, only my own view as affected by having digested them.

It is the Cartesian assumption as well as the Socratic one that you can't really know anything for certain, outside that you exist, from Descartes's famous "I think, therefore I am" and Socrates's "The only thing I know is that I know nothing," and I apologize if I mukked up those quotations, but bear with me. The point I make is that the world and reality is ultimately what you make of it, and that your willpower is the one thing you have full control over, and with it you affect your experience.

An event or ideal is distressing only if you let it be so, and with enough willpower you can overturn that distress, and in a similar manner you may garner joy from other things in life. Of course, as often as I make this point to people, I still can't fully invest in it.

The more time I or anyone else spends dwelling upon existence the less sense it starts to make, and the more horrid the great looming unknown becomes. There is an old saying: "ignorance is bliss," and I'm afraid I can't credit that properly, but it rings true. I may take joy in hearing a song, but if I learn that, say, that song had been stolen I may be instead angry. If I hear the energy I used to have my device play that song could have been better used in life support systems, I may feel guilty. If I learn that the device I hear the song through is in mild danger of detonating from internal malfunctions, I may feel frightened.

I know it sounds damning to put happiness in this context, of something only to be had by those who will not think past the moment, but I do not mean to make that sound like a bad thing. In a way, it's preferable. There is so much we cannot change with our insignificant existences, and to worry ourselves with things beyond our power is a good way to severely cripple your quality of life--take it from me, if you care to lend me any credit.

I suppose that given all that, happiness, to me, is the acceptance of one's place in reality, and the realization that one should revel in the power they are allotted, not curse their luck for not having enough to fix the world's problems. It's finding one's place, and understanding that they needn't be a hero or villain or legend or monster, they need only be themselves.

Sappy, perhaps, but a good deal more than a lot of people have ever achieved.

Years
  • Good God, Orx, you wrote a book! It sounds lovely, but like you, I've not much academic background so I can't say for sure what it is. Happiness is fleeting though, a response to a pleasurable event. Joy is contentment, a lifelong thing inborn into your personality. Happiness seems to be obtained when one is working towards something achievable. Although, it can be related to hedonism (pain and pleasure) but that is the most temporary of all.

Back