• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hard to grasp concepts

Years
    • Seen today
    Basically just a topic to discuss concepts found personally tough.

Politics have never clicked with me. I don't mind listening, but I'll avoid any in depth discussion because I wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
    I agree with you on politics. I find it interesting sure especially when I'm listening to a friend speak and they're very knowledgeable at politics, but I just can't wrap my head around it :(

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have never understood philosophy, and my problem revolves around this crucial question: why do these guys have a special title ("philosopher") while all they do is using complicated words to discuss the same things as I do?

I think many concepts used to escape my understanding, most notably around human behaviour. I accidentally found two complementary explanations on two different scientific Youtube channels: 1. humans mostly behave like animals (with instincts), and 2. humans do what's best for them, according to them (which implies that they can be entirely wrong).

Ah, and chess. Never understood chess.

Years
    What's my use in the world, where my place is. Why I exist.

My mind constantly floods with questions like this, which I can't answer.

EDIT: Basically, existentialism. But when it comes to things that can be grasped, trigonometry.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Anything that requires half a brain, tbh.

I also just kinda wing my job, tbh. Software devs are supposed to be all about logic. But I usually just guess solutions to problems and somehow don't screw up as much as I probably should xD

I've read a lot of philosophy but probably also only got like a fraction of it. But I've also reached a point where I just realized that most of the important lessions of philosophy are already ingrained in people's minds, anyway. And everything else is just stupid ideological quarrels.
    Likewise I think I now know quite a bit about politics. But when it comes to the specifics I still end up struggling a lot.

Social stuff is hard for me, as well. It's definitely gotten better over the last couple years. But just regular stuff like talking to people or even stupidly simple things like "making an appointment" seem so...incredibly hard for me for some reason. Like, any semi-competent person would just be like "what's so hard about that?" if I told them. And I wouldn't even be able to give them a satisfying answer. ^^"

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've always really struggled with geometry. I liked Maths but I have so much trouble flipping, rotating and visualising shapes in my head.

A lot of hands on skills like sewing, woodwork, origami etc. I have a lot of difficulty with understanding how to do. In high school, I had a teacher who was so concerned they contacted my parents, haha. I think I was 13 at the time. I have a lot of difficulty following the instructions correctly for some reason, but I also need to practice more I suppose. :D

Years
    4D shapes. I can't fathom what they look like, and researching about it made my brain hurt even more.

Other similar migraine-inducers are imagining colors beyond our perceived spectrum, anti-matter, inconsistencies of math, and black holes.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Math. Just, math. That's not to say I have a firm grasp of every other concept, but mathematics of any kind always spills out of my brain like it's a sieve. I have no retention for it no matter how hard I try.

Lol, why do I mod VPP again? щ(゜ロ゜щ)

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I suppose a lot of economics. Even though I'm generally a math person, it's just complicated and convoluted to me.

I have never understood philosophy, and my problem revolves around this crucial question: why do these guys have a special title ("philosopher") while all they do is using complicated words to discuss the same things as I do?

Because their whole job is to discuss this same things. While you do discuss these things you probably don't discuss these things in the same depth that they do. And if you do, congratulations, you're a philosopher. You're just not an academically recognized one.

The complicated words part comes from trying to explain loosey goosey concepts like happiness, justice, morals, and so on in a logical, consistent and precise fashion to other philosophers.

Some philosophers do get carried away, yes - Kant famously had texts where a sentence could have 10 subordinate clauses before reaching an end - but bemoaning the use of complicated words is akin to saying that for example, when an engineer writes down:

Hard to grasp concepts

Hard to grasp concepts

They're really saying "push (or pull) of a fluid is proportional to its mass and acceleration". That version is a lot more complex than this one sentence but it's also a lot more useful to actually predicting how fluids will move and communicating the relationship more clearly with other engineers.

Years
    • Seen today
    Ick. It feels like I made this 6 or 7 months ago, not 3 weeks ago.

Bizarre feeling.

I guess time is a hard to grasp concept.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    i have a hard time understanding politics sometimes, and i also struggle with like.. Chemistry. its hard to understand for me because i cant physically see it.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Organic chemistry. Attended almost every lecture. Tried reading the book. Absorbed nothing. Expected you to translate words into solving problems. Likens it to explaining long division purely through words.

Back