• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Hau 2.0

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • A fair few comments I've seen, and also my own observations despite only playing a bit, is that Hop is rather like Hau. Thus far:

- Wants to be the very best like no one ever was
    - Looks up to an older family mermber who is a champion/kahuna
    - Gets advice from said relative
    - Runs about first a lot/rushes a bunch
    - Says he is your rival
    - Overly friendly
    - Three letter name starting with H
    - Has same animation

Any more to add? Which rival do you prefer? Overall, what are your impressions of Hop thus far?

Hau is better because he has malasadas

Years
  • I like him! Hau was adorable too so I'm not surprised I like Hop as well. That said yeah....they are incredibly similar. Design-wise I prefer Hau, but I think Hop has a better rivalry/friendship with the protagonist!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Well, at least Hop seems to be somewhat affected by losing. Also points for switching his team up a few times as well. I don't particularly care for Hop, but Hau is my least favorite rival in the series (yes, even over the XY gang)

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yeah I noticed this as well. But I really noticed it when I seen his animations which are exactly the same. They basically copy and pasted the skeleton over and then put a new skin on it. I don't like Hau, he annoyed me and Hop is just as annoying right now. I like our other two rivals though.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Aw tbh yes he has more cutscenes and in the face compared to Hau but I personally feel I can relate to him more than Hau.
    There were more character-building in Hop and I really like how he was depressed and then got encouraged again, it sounds more realistic than Hau who was always happy and happy.
    Won't spoil the ending for anyone but I certainly enjoyed my journey with him as my rival and I will still be once I start on my Shield version.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    My first thought was that Hop was Barry 2.0 actually, but I can see the comparison to Hau too

Years
  • Did you know his brother is the unbeatable and undefeatable Champion of the Galar region ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I could go on a long rant about how awful his name, facial expressions, body contortions, and personality are, but I'll sum it up with this:

My neighbor's pet hamster would make for a better rival than the nimrod that the game assigns for us. Hell, my neighbor's pet hamster's droppings would be a better rival.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't honestly find Hop THAT similar to Hau, though? Hau was a lot nicer and laid back than Hop... I also feel like Hop wanted to be the best a lot more than Hau did. I feel as though he's more of an inbetween of Barry and Hau, but not "Hau 2.0." Hop also beat you to a few gym badges first throughout the story, so I don't know I can see some of the similarities, but he has his differences, too.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    There's something about Hop that is endearing and after the whole thing is said and done I like him as a rival. I do see the similarities to Hau, but Hop came off as more self aware to me and more relatable as an actual person. Hau is borderline psychotic with his permanent happiness and something about him just made me want to punch him in the face every time he'd show up. I also think where your story and Hop's story is supposed to the mirror the heroes of Galar's story/relationship (what I took from it anyway) it makes sense why Hop is the way he is.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thread was made after I only played a bit, but I will add that he does diverge from Hau. Unlike him, who learns something about taking battles seriously more rather than just "battles are fun I like fun malasada malasada" (an exaggeration =p), he has his own plight in being unsure what he wants to do and instead is fixated on being like his bro and not wanting to disappoint him with battles. His changing about Pokemon in his team, including dropping his Wooloo for a while, was a neat touch in that respect.

He also talked a lot more about our using super effective attacks than Hau. :V

Last edited:
    Years
  • i gotta be honest here: no offense to those who believe so, but i really do think that the comparisons to Hau don't make any sort of sense to me, whatsoever. the similarities start that they have excitable, cheerful personalities and they have people that they both look up to. that's also where it ends, because anyone who's been paying an iota of attention to the story would know that Hop doesn't share that much in common with Hau at all. sure, in the beginning of the game, you start to see the similarities pop up, because Hop stops you literally every five seconds to talk about how he's going to be the best, and how he's going to beat you, his brother, and become the champion and all that. this is all well and good up until halfway through the game, and i'll keep the rest in spoilers for those who haven't gotten there yet:

Spoiler:

onto Hau.... going to keep this one in spoilers as well. even though it's been a while since SM/USUM, but im doing it, anyway. i'll also do comparisons between both Hop and Hau, here:

Spoiler:

so yeah, i see very little the two have in common besides the obvious.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Blue & Silver had similar jerk personalities, Hau & Hop have similar friendly personalities.

Gladion & Wally are the only ones whom have distinct personalities imo. No other is rival is like them. Just my opinion.

Back