• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever requested/accepted a commission?

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    In this scenario, a commission is any service where you've paid some amount of money in exchange for a creative piece of work (artwork, music, written, etc.). Have you ever engaged in these services, either as the commissioner or the commissioned?

I've been a chronic spender ever since my new job, and I've found that commissioning artworks has been both a healthier outlet for my tendencies as well as very fulfilling in seeing my wild thoughts come to life! I've still got loads of ideas yet that I'd like to commission, and a good portion of my time is spent searching for the perfect artist to capture my specific vision for each piece and also I don't want to burn out the artists that I commission like every month.

Years
    I was commissioned to ghost write a novel but the deal fell through.

Between RP, fics and needing art for comics... and just because I like art... I have commissioned a lot of art.

Years
    Being commissioned by a friend of mine to make posters and flyers for her mini restaurant project is what got me started on graphic design in the first place. I guess the trust she put on me meant something. A year ago I had no idea how to use Illustrator; now I'm making money off of it. I'm thankful for her to this day.

Years
    i requested a lot of commissions.

a lot.

mostly pixel art but like... i do it because i genuinely like the artist's work and i want to support them, plus i get cute pixel art in return!!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Lmao, I get a LOT of commissions (ONE OF WHICH I AM VERY BEHIND ON YES THANK YOU VERY MUCH).

I really do enjoy it though, getting paid for something I would be doing in my spare time is a pretty great feeling! That and I just like making people happy with my art. :) Can't say it's the most reliable source of income though, lol.

But I got some war stories about things I've drawn for money though, oooh boy.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    Would you guys like to share some of the stuff you've been/have commissioned? Not expecting a portfolio or anything, but I'd love to see this sort of stuff!

Years
    i would but that's an entire folder and then some of commissioned stuff.

...i probably spend more money than i should but it's for good reason!

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
    [ Aegagrus ]

We did offer commissions for a few months, but stopped because we wanted to focus on our own art and despite making our prices $5-$10 for a fullbody with shading we only got maybe two commissions. We also have commissioned close friends for art, and plan on commissioning another friend for writing.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    [ Aegagrus ]

We did offer commissions for a few months, but stopped because we wanted to focus on our own art and despite making our prices $5-$10 for a fullbody with shading we only got maybe two commissions. We also have commissioned close friends for art, and plan on commissioning another friend for writing.

Not pretending to be super knowledgable about your work or anything, but $5-10 seems criminally low even for a beginner artist. Please please please don't undersell yourself, you'd be surprised to find that people won't hesitate to commission you if you worked for more standard rates, at the benefit of deterring time-wasters and entitled people who think it should be free just because it's cheap.

There's one artist that I love commissioning, and since the very first commission to now (about 1-1.5 years), his prices have almost tripled but he's found that his commissioners are much nicer and the work has become more fulfilling too. I wish you best of luck!

Bay

Years
    The closest thing I've been commissioned for writing was for charity. So for instance there might be a charity drive for a country that was hit with an earthquake. I put out what I can write and then price & rate (like $1 for 100 words or such). Someone then comes to me with their prompt and proof of the charity they donated, and then I do the commission.

Besides that, never properly done written commissions. Part of it is because even after 15 or so writing experience I still have a long way to go with my writing skills. Also writing tends to be way underpaid compare to art and not gain as much traction. I thought about stuff like ko-fi but still on the fence.

Years
    I accept commissions for custom made doll. I am currently fulfilling one meant for a family for the Christmas holidays. I am a little behind schedule because some of the fabric I am need for the dress is imported from Russia, and it's taking forever. I ordered it back in September and it isn't even the US yet. It should still be here in plenty of time for Christmas, the latest I expect it to arrive is November. If not, then I do have some doll clothes here that I can use as plan B in the event of an emergency.

I have requested commissions for hand-painted glass eye chips on dolls. Also have commissioned Pokemon-themed art. Thank you Kitty and Fairy!

pkmin3033

I commissioned a 6ft Rayquaza plush years ago! Cost a small fortune considering my income was very sporadic at the time, but it was worth it!

My artwork isn't even close to being good enough for people to want to pay for it. xD

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    As it's part of what I do as a illustrator, sometimes I get commissions. The last one I did was a front drawing for a birthday card for someone. I didn't charge a lot, as it was for someone's birthday. I probably shouldn't keep doing that, but I've done that twice now. I had a project at University where we had a client that wanted some posters, an advertisement and a poster for their project. Then if they wanted me to print more of the things I created for it, they had to pay. I think in the end, that came to around £30-40 because of specific paper used, printing costs and time spent etc. I haven't done commissioning since or accepted them, unless someone wanted something very specific and could be patient with me about it.

I've never really commissioned from anyone else before though. I would want to in future though, if it's not too expensive.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Sort of. I designed websites as a freelance designer on the side until I landed an in house role. I charged hourly. First I did $20 and then I eventually increased it to $30.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    I've commissioned a few people to draw my fursona before. I've also commissioned a friend of mine to make art of me and crankgameplays hanging out, so there's that too.

I plan on commissioning someone again for art of me and Ethan once I'm able to.

Back