• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you been playing?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    So how long have you been playing the games, and what got you into the Pokemon games in the first place? Was it perhaps your parents, or perhaps you heard about this strange fighting animal game at school, or possibly it was to impress your significant other (oohh lala)?

I've been playing on and off for about 14 years now I guess damn I'm old. My parents bought me the Nintendo 64 and Pokemon Stadium when I was a wee tot and I've tried to at least play through one of each new game each year since then.

Years
  • I've been playing for about 11 years now, which is crazy considering that I've been playing Pokemon for more than half my life. I got into the games on holiday when I met a friend who was playing FireRed, he explained the whole concept to me and when I got home the first thing I did was buy a copy for myself and my love for the series started from there :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've been playing since 1998 when I started with Blue, so that's about 18 years now. Honestly, Pokémon has been a huge part of my life and it's something I've grown up with for the most of my life which is probably why I still love playing the games.

Years
    • EU
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Your first time!

So with the release of Pokemon GO and now Sun and Moon in the stores. I believe we probably have a few new Pokemon players in our midst.

So when was the first time you played Pokemon?

For me it was Xmas 1996, I unwrapped my new GBC! I got Zelda which was brilliant but not what I really wanted. Then the second game appeared Pokemon Blue, needless to say I stopped opening presents and set myself up on the sofa and played literally all day (parents had the insight of buying the AC adapter.)

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I've been playing pretty much since the original release of Red/Blue here in the U.S. The show aired in early September, which got me hooked, and then the games released near the end of the month. With a bit of begging, I got a copy of Red, and have been hooked ever since.

The Pokemon craze of the late 90's was just incredible to experience.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • So with the release of Pokemon GO and now Sun and Moon in the stores. I believe we probably have a few new Pokemon players in our midst.

So when was the first time you played Pokemon?

For me it was Xmas 1996, I unwrapped my new GBC! I got Zelda which was brilliant but not what I really wanted. Then the second game appeared Pokemon Blue, needless to say I stopped opening presents and set myself up on the sofa and played literally all day (parents had the insight of buying the AC adapter.)
    I've merged your thread with acatfrommars's thread since they're really similar. please check in the future if there's an existing thread before posting a new one. thanks! ^__^

Anyways, I've been playing since 2004! I started with LeafGreen, which I think I got as a birthday present, and I've pretty much been hooked since then haha. I was super into that game, and it's still one of my favorite games in the series to this day.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • Omega Ruby was my first Pokemon game that I started during the summer in 2015. Before that I had been into the Pokemon franchise in different ways than just playing the games though. Watching the anime and collecting merchandise (figures, plushies and cards for example) was my thing to do before getting a 3DS.
    The idea to buy the console came from my best friend though, as I had so much fun playing Animal Crossing on his console. My first plan was to get that game instead of a Pokemon game but since I didn't find Animal Crossing, I decided to try out Omega Ruby and ended up loving it. The next game I played was X and now Moon so I've been playing for just about over a year.

Years
  • I began playing in '98, towards '99 after being enthralled by it. An older cousin of mine was obsessed, and his obsession quickly became my obsession. I upgraded from the big clunky GB to the GBC and all three Gen. 1 games (R/B/Y). I even picked up a copy of the TCG for GBC and had a load of fun with that, as even though I did collect Pokemon cards, I didn't really go out to events. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I didn't pick up the next generation of games. I've since played them and I honestly do love Gold and wish I would have played that when it first came out. After playing around on the later generations over the last few years (ultra-casually, without real intention; just toe-dipping sessions), I decided to go all out and celebrate the phenomenon that changed my life 20 years ago by doing it all over again. I feel like a 9 year old all over again, and I love it. Thank you Pokemon!

Years
  • I am playing games for 11 years. My first game was Counter strike but later I got GameBoy Advance console and Played Pokemon Emerald and Leaf Green

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I started playing around 1999 when I got the Pikachu Gameboy with Pokémon Yellow.

I'm not exactly sure why I started playing, it was shortly before my grandmother passed away so I think I blocked a lot of memories of that time out of my head. I was interested in Pokémon cards because kids were trading them in the school yard during recess and I probably watched the anime on Fox Kids. I most likely started playing because I got the game.

Though I didn't get very far, I stopped playing around 2004 and only started playing again in 2010, then I completed my original Yellow game in 2012. Am glad I did as the cartridge got corrupted the following year.

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
    Years
  • I've been playing since the release of Heart Gold in 2010. I got hooked by playing my friends Pearl, and it only made sense t get a game of my own. Now I'm obsessed {XD}

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I've been playing since 1999, not long before Gold and Silver were released. My cousins got me into Red and Blue and I never looked back.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Been playing since Gold/silver came out, but never finish since I really don't get it about pokemon at first, but now I know very much everything.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Since early summer of 2005 which was when I was 12. I got back into the anime at that time and it made me want to play a Pokemon game (I didn't care about video games when Pokemon first came out), so I bought LeafGreen. That same year, I got Crystal during Autumn and then I got Emerald for my birthday. Since then, I've been playing every Pokemon game, both main series and spinoff.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • I was born in '96 and grew up seeing Pokémon stuff around occasionally. Heck, my father even liked Pokémon, he drew me a Pikachu that hangs on my wall to this day. I remember seeing an episode or two around the early 2000's on TV, and eventually got a couple of Orange Island DVDs and watched a bit of those. It was even pretty popular at my school, both the cards and games.

So oddly, the first time I played was Emerald in 2005. I don't know why it took me so long but eh. Even with not playing Pokémon until I was 9ish, it feels like I've played for all my life, and it was a big part of my life back then as it is now. And ever since, I've gotten a game from each generations' series (LeafGreen, Diamond, Platinum, HeartGold, White/White 2, Y, AS, and Moon).

Years
  • I've been playing Pokemon for...nine years I guess? Although it's closer to ten. I got into it when my brothers got Crystal for our GameBoy Color, but I wasn't really living it until my brother got me Ruby for my GameBoy and he Sapphire.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • Formally getting into Pokemon, since Christmas Eve, 2008, so a little over eight years. Prior to that, I'd been receiving Pokemon cards from this guy I knew in 2007, but I'd hadn't been playing the TCG or anything. My parents bought me a pink DS Lite, which has gone to hell and back physically but still works really well, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time. Been more or less attached to the series since.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Mm, I guess since 1999? I can't actually remember when we got our Gameboy Colour. Pokemon had already been out for a while before my parents finally caved and let us play it but I can't remember how long. I know Pokemon Yellow hadn't come out yet so I think it was early-mid 1999. I've played ever since!

Back