• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Choose You! *Starter Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Welcome new members! Fennekin's getting a lot of love, the little cuteso!

New Topic!
    What do you think of the middle evolutions? Do you enjoy using them or do you try to fully evolve them as soon as possible?

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • What do you think of the middle evolutions? Do you enjoy using them or do you try to fully evolve them as soon as possible?

I always evolve them generally because I like the final forms the best. If not, I usually like the basic stage better than the 2nd, so I'd usually just do it unevolved (makes it more of a challenge too). I liked Charmeleon the best at one point in time, but now I'm Charizard all the way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    I like most of the Middle Starters except for all the Gen 4 Starters and Qulliadin, I generally evolve them a little quicker than the starters with middle stages that I like.

Years
  • What do you think of the middle evolutions? Do you enjoy using them or do you try to fully evolve them as soon as possible?

I do love middle stages, especially because there's a few out there that have really good designs such as Braixen, Frogadier and of course, Dewott who nails the cross between cute and badass. Even Quilladin and Bayleef are cute on their own (despite the hate the former often gets). Sure, not all of them get love but you know we always have to have one awkward member of the evolution line and we all get used to it.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Username: Starry Windy
    Trainer Class: Ace Trainer
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Snivy
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): Fennekin
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Oshawott
    Reply to current topic: What do you think of the middle evolutions? Do you enjoy using them or do you try to fully evolve them as soon as possible?

Middle evolutions are quite alright for me, and for me, some of them are even more cooler than their final evolutions. I think Grovyle and Dewott are one of these prime examples of that, and we also have Braixen and Ivysaur which are equally good in their own way.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
    In all honestly, I don't like them nearly as much as I like the first and final stages. None of them have better designs than the final stage and the first stage is always adorable! That being said, I do like them and since you use them from quite early on in the game for quite a bit of time, I've grown fond of them ^.^

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    What do you think of the middle evolutions? Do you enjoy using them or do you try to fully evolve them as soon as possible?
    It depends on how much I like their design. Charmeleon, Wartortle, Quilava, and Grovyle are the only middle evolution starters I can think of that I wouldn't mind using for a while before evolving. All of their final evolutions are pretty great though, so I usually wind up evolving them in the end.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
    Years
    It really depends on the overall stats and design. I've really loved some such and tried to teach them better moves via HM or TM, and I evolve those who learn nice moves in their final form without any wait.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

I have no problem with them, in my opinion some of the middle stages are even better looking than their final stages, for example like Braixen and Grovyle!

Years
  • As some of the previous posters said, not all the middle stage starters are awkward. Take a look at some like Frogadier, Braixen and Grovyle who actually get just as much, if not more love than their final stages. Then we have ones that mix badass and cute together, like Ivysaur, Wartortle, Pignite (especially shown in the anime), Quilava, Monferno (at least to me) and Dewott.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Username: Otamajakushi
    Trainer Class: Ace Trainer
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Treecko
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): Cyndaquil
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Froakie
    Reply to current topic: What do you think of the middle evolutions? Do you enjoy using them or do you try to fully evolve them as soon as possible?

The Pokemon do a lot of growing during their middle evolutions, and it is important to foster that growth as much as possible. That being said, I tend to not keep them in this stage for too long as I am usually in a position to be quickly advancing through the game.

Overall, though, the middle evolutions are fantastic and provide an excellent boost of power right after the first gym. With regards to their designs, there are some Pokemon whose middle evolution has a much more appealing appearance than their final stages. Examples include: Grovile, Dewott, and Braixen.

Here are my partner Pokemon:
    2YsrOiV.png

Last edited:

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018

I enjoy them while they're them. I mean, when it comes time for them to evolve into their final evolution, I let it happen. Sometimes it's nice to have the middle for a little bit during the adventure. Maybe win a badge or 2 before they evolve. Personally I like to go for the finals, but there are some pretty awesome designed ones like dewott, grovyle, wartortle, ivysaur, frogadier and craconaw. There is only one that I like way more than its final stage and that's bayleaf. of course I prefer wartortle design wise than blastoise, and before gen 6 I liked ivysaur more than venasaur (now I have an awesome mega venasaur ).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2015
    Let's get startered! (hehehe)

Username: Gamin_G "Gamin" Gamer
    Trainer Class: PokeRanger of the Union!
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Debating, but probably Treeko or Snivy. SO SIMILAR! (Grass reptiles with an attitude? and yes that was from Nuzlocke)
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): All! Lol, but mostly Charmander!
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Totodile! He was a BEAST in Soul Silver!
    Reply to current topic:
    Well, all the fire types had amazing 2nd evo's especially Monferno and Quilava. Dewott was nice. Bayleef was 3rd cutest in Johto. Yeah, so I like them! :)

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Let's get startered! (hehehe)

Username: Gamin_G "Gamin" Gamer
    Trainer Class: PokeRanger of the Union!
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Debating, but probably Treeko or Snivy. SO SIMILAR! (Grass reptiles with an attitude? and yes that was from Nuzlocke)
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): All! Lol, but mostly Charmander!
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Totodile! He was a BEAST in Soul Silver!
    Reply to current topic:
    Well, all the fire types had amazing 2nd evo's especially Monferno and Quilava. Dewott was nice. Bayleef was 3rd cutest in Johto. Yeah, so I like them! :)

Welcome to this club as well!

For me Snivy's like a diva or a F]Grass-type Princess while Treecko is more like a lone wanderer or even a forest protector. :)

Stay active here, alright? :)

Years
  • Welcome new members, hope you'll feel at home here!

Gamin_G - I've given you Treecko but if you ever want to change just give me a shout!

Seems like the middle evolutions garner a mixed reaction. For me unfortunately I would say they're pretty unremarkable, in the games at least. I'm always sad when my cute little Starter evolves so quickly! I know I could stop it but the increased strength does come in handy. So from that point on I'm eager to get them fully evolved.

Which leads us nicely into the next topic...

What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • What do you think of Starters Final Evolutions?

By and large I like the starters final evolutions with my favourites being Torterra, Blastoise and Sceptile.

I try to avoid spoilers when it comes to evolutions and have only been disappointed in one final starter evolution. That evolution was Samurott. The Oshawott line goes from cute little otter to Darker and more agile otter to giant sealion. To me Samurott does not fit with the rest of his Evolutionary line and I would have imagined that the Oshawott line would have stayed bipedal throughout their evolutions.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?

I love them a lot, they are mostly reliable at this stage. You can count on them when the team members aren't handling the battle well, it's not an exaggeration to describe them as a team's Pokémon leader.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
    Years
  • What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?
    The final forms of the starters never let me down. They are probably the Pokemon who I use throughout the game, and I've one many close gym battles and elite four battles with them. Their mega evolutions are just amazing.

Years
  • What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?

I love the final stages, because they are meant to look badass to show off that power (Delphox is more on the majestic side but still powerful) and no I have never really been disappointed with in terms of design or battling capability. When there's a leak though I always love to find out, which I definitely did during the huge X/Y leaks dump.

Reactions: Sun

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017

Gen 1
    Charizard > Blastoise > Venusaur

Gen 2
    Typhlosion > Feraligatr > Meganium

Gen 3
    Sceptile > Blaziken > Swampert

Gen 4
    Infernape > Empoleon > Torterra

Gen 5
    Serperior > Samurott > Emboar

Gen 6
    Greninja > Chesnaught > Delphox

Personally, I think the final forms look really cool and fierce. Generally, when a new game comes out, I don't go out of my way to avoid spoilers. It's more of a "if I see it, I see it" kind of thing. That said, if I were to be surprised, its a really neat experience. Infernape was one such case where I had no idea what it would look like, and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think I've ever been disappointed, since they're all great Pokemon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back