• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Choose You! *Starter Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Thanks to Sylphiel for helping with changing the OP! Much appreciated, Jess.

As for me, I've only had the chance to use Mega Charizard Y and Mega Sceptile, and they're both pretty cool. I think Char Y is better honestly, both when it comes to design and usefulness.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Have you ever used any of the starters' Mega Evolutions? What's your opinion on them? Which one is your favourite?

Mega Charizard X, Mega Venusaur, Mega Blastoise, Mega Blaziken, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Swampert.

I guess I've used them all. I first started with Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken in my very first Pokemon X run when XY came out. In a playthough of Y, I used Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise.

When ORAS came out, I picked Treecko for my starter and therefore got to use Mega Sceptile. In a playthrough of OR, I picked Mudkip as a starter. I haven't done an ORAS playthough with Torchic yet because I already have tons of Torchics and Blazikens.

I think my favorite is Mega Blaziken.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Hello to everyone from Pokémon General! Kinda sad about PoC closing down but I'm not just gonna abandon this club and move on.

Anyway, today I'd like to introduce a Pokémon of the Week segment, and our first starter is...
    240px-387Turtwig.png

Turtwig! So, what are your guys' opinions on it? Do you like its or its evolutions' design? Have you ever used one, either as a starter or in competitive play? Feel free to share any stories you might have, whether it's related to the games, anime, anything.

Years
  • Treecko was my Starter in AS so I used Mega Sceptile quite a bit during play through, it has a pretty good design but I'm not sure I'd use it again. Out of the current Starter Megas I guess Blastoise or Swampert is my fave but I really hope that all the Starters get Megas soon. Mega Greninja would be epic!

Turtwig is such a cutie-pie! It was my Starter in Platinum so I have a fondness for it! I'm not so keen on Grotle's design but Torterra looks pretty awesome, if not a bit weird to have a huge tree and rocks on your back, but lives up to it's name I guess! We shared some fun walks in Amity Square together!

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I'm not the biggest fan of Turtwig just because it really doesn't do a whole lot. Torterra literally just stands in place while battling and it's just kinda boring to me honestly.

Years
  • Turtwig thoughts eh? I do like it despite not using it as much as the other two Sinnoh starters, but on its own it's still able to take hits like nothing (unless if it's an Ice attack hehehe) and hit hard in return. Plus, Torterra has to be one of the most awesome-looking final evolution starters ever.

Years
  • Username: sweet_lil_eliza
    Trainer Class: breeder
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Chikorita
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): Fennekin
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Piplup
    Reply to current topic:
    replying to "Who was your very first Starter Pokemon?"
    Torchic, my first pokemon game was Ruby and I choose Torchic because it was kawaii

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Username: sweet_lil_eliza
    Trainer Class: breeder
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Chikorita
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): Fennekin
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Piplup
    Reply to current topic:
    replying to "Who was your very first Starter Pokemon?"
    Torchic, my first pokemon game was Ruby and I choose Torchic because it was kawaii

All right, I added you! Welcome to the club!

I used to not think much of Turtwig because it's Gen 4 and I'm not too keen on Gen 4, but after seeing the adorable epicness that is Ash's Turtwig my opinion changed of it pretty quickly and now it's one of my favourites. It's pretty great when it evolves into Torterra too, even if I like Turtwig's design more than Grotle's or Torterra's.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    To be honest, I have never picked Turtwig before. It's not that I don't like him, it just that I preferred the other choices.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I've used Turtwig in my DPt playthroughs, it is quite sturdy on the physical defensive side. But I have to be honest, I personally prefer Piplup and Chimchar. :)

Years
  • I can see where these comments are coming from, Turtwig is probably the definite most underrated of the Sinnoh trio. The fact it has a 4x weakness (Ice in this case) doesn't help either.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Time for a new topic, everyone!

Do you have any shiny starters in any of the games? Have you ever tried breeding them or soft resetting the game until you got one? If so, did it work?

Years
  • Do you have any shiny starters in any of the games? Have you ever tried breeding them or soft resetting the game until you got one? If so, did it work?

No I have never had a shiny starter. As for breeding or soft resetting, I likely wouldn't even try it because I just want to get on with the game.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Okay guys, it's been a week since the last PoTW was introduced, so our next pokémon is...

255Torchic_Dream.png

Torchic!
    Like last time, feel free to share what you think of Torchic, any of its evolutions or its Mega Evolution, if you've ever used one as a starter or a competitive pokémon, or just any stories you might have. Of course this doesn't just extend to the games, any impressions you got from the anime, TCG, or any other media is also welcome. Lastly, our current topic of shinies is still ongoing, so feel free to answer that as well.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
    Years
  • Do you have any shiny starters in any of the games? Have you ever tried breeding them or soft resetting the game until you got one? If so, did it work?
    No to the first question, I don't yet have a shiny starter. I've tried soft resetting, but that doesn't help in making the starter shine. Maybe, it's just bad luck.

And, Torchic?
    I really liked the designs of Torchic and its evolutions. Torchic's just so adorable! And Blaziken's mega evolution is really cool, and Speed Boost is one great hidden ability!

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Do you have any shiny starters in any of the games? Have you ever tried breeding them or soft resetting the game until you got one? If so, did it work?

Actually, I do. Aside from the shiny event Charizard we got in the UK, I have all three of the Johto starter shinies and a shiny Sceptile. I didn't try breeding or soft resetting for those though, I don't have enough of an attention span for that.

Years
  • I've never had any shiny starters yet but it is on my to do list to breed some, probably starting with Froakie as black Greninja is stunning!

I'd love to have one at the start of the game to play through with but as Hikamaru said, I'd just want to get on with the game!

Edit: Didn't see page 4! You jogged my memory, Laguna, I have the shiny Charizard from the event, again, black Pokemon look stunning!

Years
  • So my thoughts on Torchic...

When it comes to the Hoenn starters I never really gave the chick much of a chance since I always wanted to choose Mudkip in the game, but Torchic's evolution line makes a really good progression from adorable to downright boss. Blaziken started the Fire/Fighting combination (now seen in three starters overall) but it was unique back at the time it was new. Speed Boost is a overpowered joke of a hidden ability that he got banned competitively, given sheer power and boosted speed can make him wreck you. The Mega retained Speed Boost and is just as deadly.

So, in the end Torchic is like my second fave Hoenn starter and who knows, maybe I might give it a proper chance sometime.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    As for my thoughts on Torchic, I like it. It's not my favourite out of the three Hoenn starters as that honor goes to Treecko, but I've used it plenty of times before and I think Blaziken is pretty badass in its own right. I've gotten through Gen 3 by just spamming Blaze Kick everywhere before, it was amazing.

Of course you can't forget the last episode of Battle Frontier either, May's Blaziken VS Ash's Sceptile was one of the best parts of that entire season.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back