• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Choose You! *Starter Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
  • Username: DarkSkys
    Trainer Class: Breeder
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Chikorita
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): Charmander
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Squirtle
    Reply to current topic: Perfer to evolve all the way, though Qulava I kepted till lvl 100

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?

I ultimately have chosen my starter based on what its final evolution will look like. When I first saw Fennekin, I knew it would be my starter... that is, until the designs of the final evolutions were released. Froakie it is then.
    In the next Gen however, I want to try to play the game without knowing anything prior to starting. That includes final evolutions, gym typing, and the new pokemon, their evolutions and typing. Which is going to be pretty hard because I love reading spoilers.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?

Well I'm a sucker for any badass-looking pokémon and the final forms tend to deliver so I like them. I was kinda disappointed with Emboar though, it just looked kinda lame.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I feel like it's been about 2 weeks since the topic has been changed, so I'm just going to throw one out there. I think there should be more activity!

All main-series games featured three choices for a starter, except Pokemon Yellow. In Pokemon Yellow, you were given a Pikachu, and then over the course of the game, you had the opportunity to get the three Kanto starters.

How do you feel about how Pokemon Yellow did starters? Would you be open to this kind of strategy for starters in a future game? Discuss.

Personally, I think that it was a great idea. In the end, you ended up getting four starters, with all you could easily beat the game with. On the other hand, having the game give you a winning team, might be seen as a negative thing. It could be seen as making the game too easy.

In XY, you were given one of the two unselected starters at the end of the game, which was a nice way to build your collection. I think if they took it a step further and gave you both unselected starters post-game, that would be a nice compromise. Not only does it prevent the game from being (too) easy, but it also gives solo/casual players the opportunity to play with the other starters. This is the kind of solution I'd like to see in future games.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution? I like the final evolutions. I have my favorites, of course, but I have been pleased with all final forms.

How do you feel about how Pokemon Yellow did starters? Would you be open to this kind of strategy for starters in a future game? Discuss.
    I am open to having another game similar to Yellow version. I loved having all 3 starters being able to be obtained. I had all 3 plus pikachu. I'd actually like, if a game took this idea up again, giving you something like jigglypuff (USING AS EXAMPLE) instead of pikachu, then being able to get the 3 starters. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing pikachu as a starter again, I'd like to see something a little different.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I am open to having another game similar to Yellow version. I loved having all 3 starters being able to be obtained. I had all 3 plus pikachu. I'd actually like, if a game took this idea up again, giving you something like jigglypuff (USING AS EXAMPLE) instead of pikachu, then being able to get the 3 starters. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing pikachu as a starter again, I'd like to see something a little different.

I think Pikachu being a starter was meant to appeal to audiences of the anime. One can draw any number of conclusions from that.

Maybe they can have the game start a little differently. The games usually start with a professor giving you the choice between three starters, but what if it was the protagonist's family that gave the starter? Iris, for example, was given an Axew. The same deal could apply to the games. Throughout the journey, there will be trainers, like in Yellow, that give you the region's three starters.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Username: vsich
    Trainer Class: Ranger
    Partner Pokémon (Grass): Treecko
    Partner Pokémon (Fire): Chimchar
    Partner Pokémon (Water): Totodile
    Reply to current topic: What do you think of the final evolutions? Do you try to avoid spoilers? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a final evolution?

- I've always for the most part loved final evolutions. I do prefer to avoid spoilers as i like to be surprised when i see them in the games. i was pleasantly surprised with the Hoenn and Sinnoh trio as their stats and looks were just top-notch to me. I wasn't a huge fan of Venusaur for his look or the Unova trio as they just didn't really live up to expectations in stats and design for me.

Years
  • Hey fellow Starter lovers! Firstly I want to thank you all for joining, I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and stories. Secondly, I'm sorry I've not been that active recently. I had lots of ideas and plans for the club but sadly just don't have the time to put them into practice. So with that in mind I've decided it would be best to offer the club to someone who can do it justice! If you're interested comment in this thread and we can either get the OP changed or lock this thread and you can start a new one fresh!

Years
  • As cool as it would be to inherit this club, I need to focus on the two type-based clubs I have right now so I need to stick to those for a while before I'll be able to handle a third club. But yeah, sad to hear about your decline Spoony. We hope you can still keep active when you can.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • Three cheers for Laguna who has agreed to take on club ownership! The club will continue in this thread so we can continue as usual and we'll ask Wiiked to change the OP when he gets back. Thank you so much and I look forward to participating as a member! ^^

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Let's talk about our first wver starters, shall we? My first ever starter was a Squirtle. :D Means a lot to me, even tho he isn't my most favorite.

Years
  • My first Water starter, was my beloved female boss Swampert in Ruby. I knew Mudkip was going to be my starter of choice, but it was fun to have seen it end up as female before I even heard female starters were rare. She proved herself to be a true champ, and has since moved to Johto to be with a trainer who once struggled with the super-tough Viridian City Gym Leader Blue.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My first Water starter, was my beloved female boss Swampert in Ruby. I knew Mudkip was going to be my starter of choice, but it was fun to have seen it end up as female before I even heard female starters were rare. She proved herself to be a true champ, and has since moved to Johto to be with a trainer who once struggled with the super-tough Viridian City Gym Leader Blue.

That's totally awesome. Thanks for sharing us your story. :) Does the said Swampert have a signature move or two? :D

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    My first starter was a Treecko in Pokémon Ruby. Like everyone ever on their first time I pretty much relied on it entirely, and I was so terrible at RPGs that I had to fight Roxanne like six times before I finally got it. Obvoiusly I got better but I still have great memories with that thing (especially when it started evolving, i thought it looked so cool) and it's been my favourite starter ever since.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to building this club together with all of you guys! I can't really do much yet since the OP is still Spoony but you can look forward to the future.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My first starter was a Treecko in Pokémon Ruby. Like everyone ever on their first time I pretty much relied on it entirely, and I was so terrible at RPGs that I had to fight Roxanne like six times before I finally got it. Obvoiusly I got better but I still have great memories with that thing (especially when it started evolving, i thought it looked so cool) and it's been my favourite starter ever since.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to building this club together with all of you guys! I can't really do much yet since the OP is still Spoony but you can look forward to the future.

Treecko can be a bit difficult to use as it doesn't have access to Mega Drain in early levels in older games, while Torchic is able run amok if it evolved before battling Roxanne and Mudkip has access to Water Gun, a 40BP move. Even better it has Mud Shot upon evolving at Level 16! That's not to say the green gecko is under nor weaker than its starter peers; In fact the Treecko line is insanely strong. :D

First evolutions are cool, it doubles the excitement when it is first achieve by the starter. Gets me tingling, whenever I evolve my starters from playthroughs! It also signifies an evolution to the bonding. :)

Years
  • Congrats on inheriting ownership Laguna! Hopefully you can continue what Spoony left.

As for what Sun said above, it always gets exciting when a starter evolves. I felt like it's a moment of epic that you're seeing your beloved partner grow with you.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    The OP hasn't changed just yet but I'm gonna introduce the next topic anyway since this thread needs a revival anyway.

Have you ever used any of the starters' Mega Evolutions? What's your opinion on them? Which one is your favourite?

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I have used all available Mega Evolution forms of the starters. I love every single of them, so far.

They are all welcome additions and most of them have truly improvised a starter's battle capability.

I'm highlighting two starters, which have improved drastically compare to their standard original forms.

Mega Venusaur A normal Venusaur has the following weaknesses, Ice-type, Fire-type, Flying-type and Psychic-type. Four weaknesses ain't cool and two of its weaknesses are considered as common type moves in the metagame too. But Mega Venusaur managed to altered its four weaknesses into two weaknesses, which is a great improvement! While its suggested metagame moveset remains similar to its standard form, nevertheless, it is still an improvement.

Mega Blaziken While a standard Blaziken's Hidden Ability is Speed Boost, it is still a great news that it received Speed Boost as its Mega Evolution Ability! It completely ups a Blaziken's usefulness in the modern metagame field. So useful that it climbed to the Uber spot, a first starter to do so. It's truly amazing how one Ability decides a Pokemon's fate.

Years
  • Have you ever used any of the starters' Mega Evolutions? What's your opinion on them? Which one is your favourite?

I used Mega Charizard X in X (and it did help me like Charizard a little better but still my least fave Kanto starter due to the huge nostalgia-fuelled fanboyism) and Mega Swampert in Alpha Sapphire. Other than that, I haven't used any other starters yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back