• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could Re-Type any Pokemon

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • The typing of some Pokemon have been debated as they look like a certain type or combination of types but end up not being so. For example, the Psychic-less Psyduck.

So which Pokemon would you have had with a different type or types from the start?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, a lot of them.

Poliwhirl should already have been water/fighting, before evolution into Poliwrath.

Golduck should have psychic type. I never understood why Starmie had it but not Golduck.

Electabuzz should be electric/fighting, but I guess it might be overpowered if that was so ;)

Ampharos could have been a better electric/fighting. It's based on a kangaroo of sorts, right? They are quite the fighters.

Sceptile should be grass/dark.

Masquerain should be bug/water. Never liked losing the water aspect when Surskit evolved :(

Luxray should be electric/dark. Because it's an x-ray pokémon, it deals with seeing in the dark. And it looks pretty dark :)

They should have made Pachirisu more interesting, like making it a water/electric or ground/electric or something. Grass/electric perhaps.

Lopunny should be fighting! Or fighting/normal maybe. It would be nice.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Oh, a lot of them.

Poliwhirl should already have been water/fighting, before evolution into Poliwrath.

Golduck should have psychic type. I never understood why Starmie had it but not Golduck.

Electabuzz should be electric/fighting, but I guess it might be overpowered if that was so ;)

Ampharos could have been a better electric/fighting. It's based on a kangaroo of sorts, right? They are quite the fighters.

Sceptile should be grass/dark.

Masquerain should be bug/water. Never liked losing the water aspect when Surskit evolved :(

Luxray should be electric/dark. Because it's an x-ray pokémon, it deals with seeing in the dark. And it looks pretty dark :)

They should have made Pachirisu more interesting, like making it a water/electric or ground/electric or something. Grass/electric perhaps.

Lopunny should be fighting! Or fighting/normal maybe. It would be nice.

I honestly don't see why they didn't do this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I honestly don't see why they didn't do this.

Probably because they put it in the early part of the game, where it would have been a too cool type combo to be suitable ^^

Sirfetch’d

If I had to pick just one it would definitely be making Luxray part dark type because it simply looks like it should be.

tnfsf11

-Charizard: Fire/Dragon
    -Gyarados: Water/Dragon
    -Farfetch'd: PURE Flying
    -Venonat: Bug/Psychic
    -Totodile: Water/Dark
    -Porygon: PSYCHIC
    -Suicune: Ice
    -Oshawott: Water/Fighting

And of course:
    -Chespin: Grass/Dark
    -Fennekin: Fire/Ground
    -Froakie: Water/Fighting

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    -Fennekin: Fire/Ground
    I'd rather say Fire/Psychic to complete the weakness-strength triangle :> But Fire/Ground sounds interesting.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I definitely want to see Kangaskhan retyped to Normal/Fighting, especially with how she jumps and moves around in games like XD: Gale of Darkness. Dunsparce would also be cool to see retyped to, ah, Normal/Psychic since it seems like its on some sort of drug or something. XD; Perhaps another being Koffing and Grimer's line to Poison/Dark just for the fun of it. They seem pretty malevolent, yes?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Butterfree: Bug/Psychic
    Arbok: Poison/Dark
    Ninetales: Fire/Ghost
    Persian: Normal/Dark
    Golduck: Water/Psychic
    Gengar: Ghost/Dark
    Marrowack: Ground/Ghost
    Kangaskhan: Normal/Dragon
    Gyarados: Water/Dragon
    Crobat: Dark/Flying
    Ampharos: Electric/Dragon
    Sunflora: Grass/Fire
    Masquerin: Bug/Water
    Yanmega: Bug/Dragon
    Uxie: Ice/Psychic
    Mesprit: Electric/Psychic
    Azelf: Fire/Psychic
    Manaphy: Water/Psychic
    Whismicott: Grass/Flying
    Beartic: Ice/Water
    Druddigon: Dragon/Rock

Years
  • Take away Starmie's psychic typing since I feel it doesn't really make sense. I'd also make Golduck a psychic/water type and definitely make the Gothita line dark types.. every time I battle them I forget they're even psychics, ugh. >.>

zdude18

Lone Wolf
    Years
  • i really dont understand why all bird pokemon have to be normal type along with flying type, staraptor could easily be a flying/fighting type, i agree with a lot that was already said especially luxray, charizard, and gyarados.

Years
  • Wow I always assumed Luxray was Electric/Dark, I can't believe it isn't.

Anyway I'll start with some common ones -

Lugia - Water/Flying
    Groudon - Fire/Ground

Now for some personal ideas -

Staraptor - Dark/Flying - first of all to distinguish it from other early birds, but also it just looks dark.

Aipom/Ambipom - Fighting - Especially since Aipom evolves due to Double Hit (which is a normal type move, but yeah it sounds quite fighting-y)

Bonsly/Sudowoodo - Grass (maybe Rock secondary if necessary) - Leafeon, Bayleef, see where I'm going? Everything else with leaves gets to be Grass type why not a tree?

Girafarig - Electric/Dark - Maybe slightly pointless now Blitzle/Zebstrika exists, but it's still what the design suggests. Speaking of Blitzle and Zebstrika they should be dark as well.

Porygon (2/Z) - Psychic - A lot of their moves are psychic is about the only logical reasoning I have for this.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • Gyarados is based on an Eastern dragon, so I think it should have been Dragon/Water.

Plenty of normal types look like they could be other types. Porygon and Lickitung could be Psychic. Lopunny, Ambipom, Watchog and maybe Slaking look like they could be Fighting. Exploud, Kangaskhan, and Tauros look like they could be Ground. Dunsparce looks like it could evolve into a dragonfly-reminiscent Dragon type.

I always assumed Mawhile was Dark and couldn't believe when I saw it was Steel. I went half my first Pearl playthrough thinking that Luxio was going to evolve into a dual-Dark Pokemon because it learned dark type moves and was primarily black.

Gothitelle looks more Dark than Psychic, but I could certainly seeit as Psychic when I found out.

Years
  • I think that the further they got on with new Pokemon, they did pretty good with most of the typings, but looking back to the first gen Pokemon in general, there are quite a few I can see that really could've used a re-typing at the same time as Magnemite/Magneton. Just taking a quick glance through the Kanto dex, I would've like to have seen:

All the Nidos as Poison/Ground (not just the final evos), Ninetales as Fire/Psychic (always thought it was for the longest time), Golduck as Water/Psychic (again, always thought it was), Seel/Shellder as Water/Ice (just like their evos), Cubone/Marowak as Ground/Normal (80% of their moves are currently Normal type), and make Kangaskhan Normal/Ground as well.

Taking all those into consideration, though, I didn't really consider if there were other Pokemon that are already of that type or not, but I've never really seen any of those I mentioned as just single-type Pokemon. There are probably a number of others I could've found sprinkled throughout the other gens, but like I said, I think they've mostly done a good job of those typings, which just a few that could've used a change.

Years
  • I always felt that Dewott and Samurott should've been Water/Fighting because of their samurai credentials.

Back