• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Anyone Else Really Missing Mega-Evolution??

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I think that Mega-Evolution is quite possibly the best of the battle mechanics introduced in recent generations and it just seems weird that it would be something that lasted from Gen 6 into Gen 7 and then is unceremoniously dropped for Gen 8. Don't get me wrong, I like Dynamax and Gigantamax, but Mega Evolution was still a great mechanic and I don't know why they wouldn't allow it to be present in Sword and Shield.

That's especially true when you consider that Mega Evolution probably did a better job of giving previously ignored Pokémon competitive viability than Gigantamax. I mean, yes Buterfree is now viable in some formats thanks to its Gigantamax form AND the Gigantamax forms for a lot of the Gen 8 Pokémon are fantastic. HOWEVER, Butterfree is kind of the only previously weak Pokémon being given new life that I've heard of while Mega Evolution took a LOT of previously ignored Pokémon and made them viable. For example, at LEAST Beedrill, Glalie, Houndoom, Lopunny, and Mawile were all elevated from throwaways to at least decent options in the competitive scene. I mean, in the case of Mawile, Mega Evolution made it BROKEN.

So, it just seems weird that they'd FINALLY give those Pokémon a shot at competitive viability...only to strip that all away by taking Mega Evolution out of the games.

IDK, do you guys think they might add Mega Evolution back in? Can it be balanced alongside Dynamax/Gigantamax?

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I suspect GF didn't want to handle two different transformation gimmicks at the same time so they decided to scrap the old one in favor for the inferior new one. But what's more, it just shows us once more the trend that GF ihas been taking: come up with a fun gimmick, scrap it in a later generation and replace it with something "more balanced". Kind of like how gems got replaced with the once per battle usable Z-Crystals.

It's sad that they did away with them because I liked a lot of the Megas. Dynamax/Gigantamax seemed more like an ingame boss fight gimmick if anything. Not to say I don't like the mechanic but it seems unfit in any situation other than that.

Megas have their issues, as well. For one they showed us how stupid competitive can be especially when you hand out Megas to Pokemon that are already powerful on their own. But it also gave Pokemon a new chance that would have never been relevant by themselves, like Beedrill.

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • I've always been in the Mega Evolution party, it just felt like they actually put their heart and soul into making the forms and it was awesome. Gigantamaxed forms are pretty cool too but Dynamaxing just feels really lame, to me it was like they threw Mega Evos and Z Moves into one mechanic.

Idk I just think D-maxing is lazy because its just 'haha Pokemon grow big' and imo had impact on the feel of the game because they had to make these giant areas (mostly stadiums) for these battles to take place which I think led to the game feeling very large and very empty.

Just my opinion though, I'd like to see it removed and for Mega Evos to return but the likelihood of that happening is slim so what can you do.

(Also it never clicked that they removed gems for Z Moves until now and I'm mad as an Archeops stan lmao)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    idk if I'd say that I miss the mechanic in its entirety, but a few Pokemon would really like access to their megas back

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    I think they decided Megas were too powerful for how few they were. Z-crystals and Dynamax are useable by all, and though there are special versions for some individual Pokémon, those versions are nowhere near as balance-shifting as Megas - some of the special Z-Moves were good, but Gigantamax only changes the secondary effect of the move - and in many cases, makes them substantially worse in most situations! Still, I feel Gigantamax forms were a good balance of fantastic new designs without making them more powerful. That is also what I miss most about Megas however, as you said - they made some weaker Pokémon relevant, and there are a lot more I would like to see that happen to.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I think they decided Megas were too powerful for how few they were. Z-crystals and Dynamax are useable by all, and though there are special versions for some individual Pokémon, those versions are nowhere near as balance-shifting as Megas - some of the special Z-Moves were good, but Gigantamax only changes the secondary effect of the move - and in many cases, makes them substantially worse in most situations! Still, I feel Gigantamax forms were a good balance of fantastic new designs without making them more powerful. That is also what I miss most about Megas however, as you said - they made some weaker Pokémon relevant, and there are a lot more I would like to see that happen to.

I mean, yeah exactly. The whole point of Mega Evolution was that it was supposed to make some Pokémon much more powerful because some of those Pokémon were insanely outclassed by competitive mainstays. And you could absolutely argue that some Pokémon who didn't need Megas because they were already potent battlers like Metagross, Salamence, Lucario, and Garchomp, got them anyway, but I've seen enough breakdowns of the competitive scene to know that it was a boon to many forgotten Pokémon.

I totally feel what you're saying, though. Like I said, I also really like Gigantamaxing. About as much as I liked Mega Evolution even. And yeah, Gigantamax has managed to pull SOME previously forgotten Pokémon into viability like Butterfree and I guess Lapras too. But, Dynamaxing on the other hand doesn't seem to me as big a draw as Megas were.

And like you said, a lot of Pokémon that Mega Evolution helped out are now, well, useless in the competitive scene again. Mawile and Beedrill especially benefitted from Megas and, without them now, don't have a place in the metagame anymore.

Last edited:
    Years
  • tbh yes.... :'( when megas just came out I thought it was odd, I mean... temporary evolution and they just revert back? The concept was so strange. Got attached to it quickly though and always assumed they'd keep this around in future games. Sad that's not the case.

Unlike others here I'm not the biggest fan of gmax, so that probably makes megas being gone even more sad haha.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Mega Evolutions seemed like they had so much more work put into them - like, it was a new design, a new stat spread, (sometimes) a new ability - and the balancing factor was the fact you only one per team and by using one you missed out on using another item.

While there were some Pokémon that definitely didn't need a Mega Evolution, and there were some forms that just laughed at the concept of disadvantages (I'm looking you at Rayquaza. Also primals, but mostly Rayquaza) it was a great way to bring new Pokémon forward in the meta. It was also pretty fun thinking of possible megas and alternate designs.

While Gmax answers the last form in a way, it just feels like a bit bad. A number of competitive metagames have outright banned Gigantamax and others have banned Dynamax altogether.

And I can see why considering:
    • Dynamax doubles your bulk, so your frail sweeper just became a lot less frail
    • It also bypass the Choice Items restrictions, so you can bypass immunity / resistance walls if need
    • And also get boosts in the process
    • Your opponent also can't Destiny Bond, Torment, Roar, Whirlwhind, flinch or disable you
    • It also bypasses Protect (even if at quartered damage)
    • Which means that if someone Dynamaxes you're often forced to Dynamax back to deal with it

I will say that the TCG version of Dynamax (Vmax) seems to be balanced-ish? It's basically an evolution, with no special ability and if you get knocked out you take a bigger hit than normal (3 prize cards instead of 2)

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I'd say yeah, it was definitely the coolest thing of all the recent changes. And as a plus it actually made sense.
    Maybe it could have used some tweaking to make it sit better in the game.

Maybe make it permanent but have more requirements to actually acquire the evolution.
    Also I just liked the idea of evolving mid battle, and wish they had done more with that.

maybe get the stone and band, but be at least a certain level, be at a certain location that's significant for that pokemon, at either day or night if you want, and then you could use the stone either in or out (of) battle and afterwards it would just be permanent.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I don't. Mega evolution was an interesting idea, but terribly implemented. A lot of Megas were wasted on fan-service and Pokémon that didn't need that to be worth having on your team at all.

I'm totally fine with Pokémon like Beedrill, Mawile, or Banette getting a Mega evolution because those Pokémon have sub-par stats overall for a fully evolved Pokémon, so for them getting it's pretty much like the equivalent of just getting a competent final evolution, so yeah, I do miss those. But seriously, Megas for Legendaries? Megas for Pseudo-Legendaries? Megas for starters and Pokémon that everyone already used? Two Megas for Charizard and Mewtwo? I'm pretty sure things like Gyarados, Alakazam, Gengar, Salamence, Chorizard, Garchomp, Swampert, Metagross, etc. must have been in countless players' teams already before mega evolution existed... meanwhile, many Pokémon that are allways ignored because they're terrible got: nothing.

Mega evolution was a great opportunity to help weaker Pokémon and give them a chance to shine, yet most of it went into Pokémon that were already powerful and perfectly viable to begin with.
    It even broke the competitive scene from what I've read, with things like suddenly everyone having a Mega Kangaskhan on their team because it was so broken that if you didn't have one you basically had no chance. I mean, things like this are a complete joke:

Spoiler:

Dat variety :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I don't. Mega evolution was an interesting idea, but terribly implemented. A lot of Megas were wasted on fan-service and Pokémon that didn't need that to be worth having on your team at all.

I'm totally fine with Pokémon like Beedrill, Mawile, or Banette getting a Mega evolution because those Pokémon have sub-par stats overall for a fully evolved Pokémon, so for them getting it's pretty much like the equivalent of just getting a competent final evolution, so yeah, I do miss those. But seriously, Megas for Legendaries? Megas for Pseudo-Legendaries? Megas for starters and Pokémon that everyone already used? Two Megas for Charizard and Mewtwo? I'm pretty sure things like Gyarados, Alakazam, Gengar, Salamence, Chorizard, Garchomp, Swampert, Metagross, etc. must have been in countless players' teams already before mega evolution existed... meanwhile, many Pokémon that are allways ignored because they're terrible got: nothing.

Mega evolution was a great opportunity to help weaker Pokémon and give them a chance to shine, yet most of it went into Pokémon that were already powerful and perfectly viable to begin with.
    It even broke the competitive scene from what I've read, with things like suddenly everyone having a Mega Kangaskhan on their team because it was so broken that if you didn't have one you basically had no chance. I mean, things like this are a complete joke:

Spoiler:

Dat variety :D

I don't think anyone is saying that Mega Evolution was completely perfect, especially in terms of which Pokémon actually got Megas. HOWEVER, it is worth noting that, before getting it's Mega Evolution, Kangaskhan was the victim of immense power creep and hadn't been able to carve out a niche in the OU tier since at least Gen 2 if I'm not mistaken. And, as you touched on, even though a lot of Pokémon who DIDN'T need Megas got them, a lot of Pokémon who did need them got them as well. Like, nobody would have taken Mawile, Sableye, Abomasnow, Beedrill, etc. at all seriously if not for their Mega Evolutions. In the case of Mawile, it was even banned to Ubers. And in the case of Beedrill, it was literally the first time Beedrill ever managed to make it into OU after 20+ years of being stuck at the bottom of the lowest tiers in the metagame.

And at the same time, that same favoritism you're citing is still present in the newer gimmicks. I mean, which Pokémon have gotten Gigantamax forms? Fan favorites and competitive mainstays for the most part (and mostly from Gen 1 as well). Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Gengar (all of which ALSO had Megas), Snorlax, Machamp, Lapras, etc. Although, in the case of the latter three, you could argue that they were due for an upgrade after NOT getting Megas in Gen 6. But, I mean, Charizard and Gengar? Did they really need to get a Gigantamax form on top of a Mega Evolution? They could have given that form to a different Ghost-type other than Gengar like Mismagius or Dusknoir or Polteageist. Or possibly given Gigantamax forms to the Gen 2 starters instead of the Gen 1 starters...again.

And honestly, I think that would have made Gigantamax more interesting: if it had been presented as a counterpart and alternative to Mega Evolution and only Pokémon who didn't have Mega Evolutions had Gigantamax forms. That way, the two mechanics could be pitted against each other and see how that impacted the metagame. I mean, imagine the showdown between Mega Beedrill and Gigantamax Butterfree to settle the question of which one is the better Bug-type.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    And at the same time, that same favoritism you're citing is still present in the newer gimmicks. I mean, which Pokémon have gotten Gigantamax forms? Fan favorites and competitive mainstays for the most part (and mostly from Gen 1 as well). Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Gengar (all of which ALSO had Megas), Snorlax, Machamp, Lapras, etc. Although, in the case of the latter three, you could argue that they were due for an upgrade after NOT getting Megas in Gen 6. But, I mean, Charizard and Gengar? Did they really need to get a Gigantamax form on top of a Mega Evolution? They could have given that form to a different Ghost-type other than Gengar like Mismagius or Dusknoir or Polteageist. Or possibly given Gigantamax forms to the Gen 2 starters instead of the Gen 1 starters...again.

I agree. And surely I will miss that minority of mega evolutions that I do think were deserved, but like I said most didn't so I'm fine with the mechanic being replaced with something else.

But yeah, that's Game Freak, another gimmick, another Charizard... I'm not a fan of Gigantamax either, and guess what was my reaction when I saw which Pokémon got these forms... but at least that's not as balance-shifting as mega evolution, because while Gigantamax forms are practically exclusive to Galar and (oh surprise) Kanto Pokémon, still any Pokémon can Dynamax, so there isn't a big gap.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I agree. And surely I will miss that minority of mega evolutions that I do think were deserved, but like I said most didn't so I'm fine with the mechanic being replaced with something else.

But yeah, that's Game Freak, another gimmick, another Charizard... I'm not a fan of Gigantamax either, and guess what was my reaction when I saw which Pokémon got these forms... but at least that's not as balance-shifting as mega evolution, because while Gigantamax forms are practically exclusive to Galar and (oh surprise) Kanto Pokémon, still any Pokémon can Dynamax, so there isn't a big gap.

I get what you're saying. But unfortunately, those Pokémon who deservedly had Megas now have...nothing. Now, after finally getting their moment to shine, Mawile, Beedrill, and Sableye are useless in competitive again. So, do you think it would be worth it to bring at least THOSE Megas back?

Also, that's kind of the problem I have with Dynamax/Gigantamax. It doesn't have a big enough balance-shift. I mean, when a Pokémon got a Mega Evolution there was a real impact on the metagame and the metagame become more dynamic and more exciting as a result. Again, and I feel like a broken record at this point, previously PU Pokémon were able to become OU-level threats. Now, well, every Pokémon can Dynamax, so...all that's really unique about the Gigantamax Pokémon is that they look cool and the effect of their G-Max move. And, competitively, some Pokémon are even better WITHOUT their Gigantamax form. For example, I've heard how it's better to use Corviknight's regular Dynamax form than using its Gigantamax form. Same thing with Appletun. So...yeah, Gigantamax, as cool as it is, just seems to fall short in how much it actually shapes the metagame compared to Mega Evolution.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Like I've said before in this thread, Dynamax isn't particularly well balanced or received in the competitive metagame. Smogon - arguably the biggest Singles competitive community in Pokémon - banned Dynamax from OU and lower tiers..

A number of Other Metagames (still Singles) have - after testing - independently come to the same conclusion: Dynamax isn't healthy for the meta.

If the competitive scene is a reason to judge the mechanics, it seems Dynamax (and Gmax) come out a lot worse than Megas and Z-Moves.

I will say however that the Doubles Community seem to enjoy Dynamax a lot more than the Singles community, so there's that.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I've always been in the Mega Evolution party, it just felt like they actually put their heart and soul into making the forms and it was awesome. Gigantamaxed forms are pretty cool too but Dynamaxing just feels really lame, to me it was like they threw Mega Evos and Z Moves into one mechanic.

Idk I just think D-maxing is lazy because its just 'haha Pokemon grow big' and imo had impact on the feel of the game because they had to make these giant areas (mostly stadiums) for these battles to take place which I think led to the game feeling very large and very empty.

Just my opinion though, I'd like to see it removed and for Mega Evos to return but the likelihood of that happening is slim so what can you do.

(Also it never clicked that they removed gems for Z Moves until now and I'm mad as an Archeops stan lmao)

Yes! This, all of this. Megas were so much cooler than any of the later gimmicks imagine all the cool megas we could have if they'd kept making them.

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Justice for all my best Pokemon who never got a Mega and deserve one! Please GameFreak we need better Mega representation for Gen 5 than just Audino... xD Gen 4 also needs some more Megas too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Dynamaxing is deffo the inferior gimmick compared to Mega Evolution. I just love how a lot Pokémon with good designs but isn't that good like Houndoom and etc. have becone stronger now. I just wished they add Mega Evolutions to almost every single fully evolved form Pokémon since the new and old Pokémon alike looks cools and I want Mega Evolutions. I'm glad a lot of ROM hacks and fangames focus on Mega Evolution more than Dynamax and Z-Moves.

Years
  • i miss that megas were basically an opportunity for otherwise forgotten pokemon like ampharos/mawile to shine. and not to mention mega evolution came with some pretty interesting designs, too!

doubt megas would make a return but it'd be nice to think of the possibilities if it did...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Simple answer, yes. And I'm mad at myself for not appreciating them when they first came out.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i miss them. some of the gigantamax forms are cool and the gimmick isn't as bad as i thought it would be, but at the same time i just. man lol idk i miss the megas. at least that lasted through the remainder of the battle and not just for a few turns.

Back