• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the Nintendo switch really an inferior console?

Years
    • Online now
    I wouldn't call it 'inferior', but there have been a couple of massive issues I've taken with it.

The first one was the joy-con drifting. I didn't think we would ever reach a time when it would be considered acceptable to produce a console without properly working controls. I don't care how good the console is. This is a deal breaker.

Slightly more personal gripe, but the removal of the virtual console in favor of drip feeding content through a paid subscription. While it seems like a strong business decision to keep people holding a subscription, Many will seek what they can't find through emulation.

'kiddie' feels like a term used for those who are insecure and want to sap the enjoyment of others. Life is too short. Do as you want. Although on this note, I don't think it would apply to the switch anyways. It's family oriented, and there are games found on the shop that would not be allowed if this were strictly a console aimed towards small children. Examples: Resident Evil and Grand Theft Auto Trilogy.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Well there has to be some reason why third parties and third party developers are 'reluctant' to put their games on it. Otherwise more things would be on there wouldn't they?

Also it seems/feels like anymore that it takes six plus months for third parties to put their games on Switch even when they are put on there. Sometimes they don't do it at all and just claim it just doesn't 'fit their current plans' and I'm pretty sure some have even come right out and said/admitted that it doesn't fit their games 'technological' needs.

At the end of the day... there is some reason why third parties aren't putting their games on the console. They just don't want to incur the wrath of the ravage Nintendo fans (and god do they come out in droves when they want to so I can't really blame them honestly) so they just don't say anything at all (which is really the best thing to do)

That's the way I see it/I feel anyway. There's some reason most games are on PS5 and Xbox consoles instead of Switch nowadays. Or this is just literally only me. Maybe I should just assume the latter I don't know

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Seems like a better console than most of the most recent Nintendo ones. Appreciates the portability. Lacks personal experience with the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. Outsold the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series by a mile (122.55 million to 32.1 million to ~18.5 million). Comes in third behind the Playstation 2 and Nintendo DS for overall sales. Does not necessarily make it a better console, admittedly. Also released three years earlier the other current consoles.

Markets to a wide audience. Carries games like Kirby and Animal Crossing. Produces others like the Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem. Also sells Bioshock, Bayonetta, and No More Heroes. Spans several age ranges and genres. Do not mistake guns and blood as a means to make a game more enjoyable or harder either. Brings the heat in the True Arena for Kirby games.

Never dealt with Joycon drift yet. Agrees on that being an issue, especially with the cost of controllers. Wishes for standalone purchases of Virtual Console games too.

Lacks the power of the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series, of course. Pays a price for being portable. Should not expect a handheld console to be as graphically powerful as a stationary one. Offers something the others do not. Still costs the same for a normal Switch and an Xbox Series S (suggested retail price). Drops to $200 for the Switch Lite.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Yeah as stated above if it wasn't inferior then game devs wouldn't be so hesitant to be put theirs on the console.

That being said it's still my fav

Years
  • Inferior in what way? If we're talking purely hardware, than objectively it is. It's not nearly as powerful as the other current generation consoles. I can't speak for joycon drift since I've never had it as an issue, but that's also a problem. Granted, more recently produced Switches probably don't have that issue.

But that's just specs, and there are other ways to measure. It's both much more convenient and more innovative than either the current PlayStation or Xbox models. It's both portable and has options for a greater variety of gameplay experiences. It's also got a wide catalogue of games that caters to a wide audience, many of those games being really good games. I think in these metrics, it has the other consoles beat.

As far as being "kiddie" that's a silly criticism. Some of the games on it are certainly targeted towards children, but it has plenty of family or adult-oriented content too. More than any previous Nintendo console I think.

Most of the complaints about the Switch stem entirely from the fact it doesn't have the same insane graphical quality as PC or the other current gen consoles. But it has good enough graphics that games on it still look exist on a scale that starts at fine and ends at great. And the thing is, we're going to hit a graphics ceiling eventually. Visuals can only get so good. Meanwhile, while the other companies are focused almost entirely on the power of their consoles, Nintendo are willing to innovate and that's going to mean they come out ahead in the end.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • In terms of shaping up to the same consoles in this generation? Yes. Nintendo's consoles are always underpowered in comparison to its competitors.

But, "kiddie"? Eh, not really. But, keep in mind Nintendo is always going to be family friendly, so.

Years
  • I do believe the switch is somewhat inferior to other consoles on the market, including the PS4 and Xbox One, but only in terms of hardware. The switch often struggles to run ports of newer games, and said ports often take a while to land on switch. I recall Dark Souls Remastered getting delayed for the switch by several months. One reason that does bother me about switch ports is that they are not always optimized. Spongebob Rehydrated and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night were terrible on day one and still have some issues compared to their PC and other console counterparts. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne was another port I was disappointed by, however the game actually runs better portable than docked (try figuring that out). Not to mention, joy con drift. I still have my default joycons and they still drift to this day so I only use a controller.

When you look at the switch's library of exclusives and the fact that it is portable, that is where it stops being inferior in my opinion. There are great games on switch besides the standard Nintendo games. There's Shin Megami Tensei V, Astral Chain, Triangle Strategy, Bayonetta 3 (and the other games), No More Heroes 1-3, Touhou Spell Bubble (yes this game is amazing), and TWEWY. Later on there's going to be Baten Kaitos 1+2, Advance Wars 1+2. The fact you can even take good ports of games on the go gives it another plus in my book, but this is only if you take your switch with you. If you never leave the house, this isn't really a plus.

The only competition the switch has currently is the Steam Deck, which is more powerful than the switch can hope to be, but the problem is that it is not easily accessible. It far more pricier and is usually sold out. There are also going to be games that cannot work with the Steam Deck. The switch is cheaper and far easier to maintain, and 3rd party accessories are more available. To counter the just emulate switch games on Steam Deck argument, switch emulation on steam deck is still flawed and not as reliable as you want it to be.

In terms of kiddie content, I think that's a lie. Shin Megami Tensei V is exclusive on Switch and that game is far from being kiddie. It is also my favorite Switch game at the moment.

Years
  • I wouldn't say it's inferior. Yeah it has weaker hardware but it's portable and only costs $300 in comparison to the ~$400/500 the Xbox and Playstation costs. It also has some pretty killer apps like BOTW and the best party games of any current console.

Back