• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

kids today will never know

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Years
    What was your favorite part about growing up that kids today don't do anymore?

Personally I'm just very saddened that my descendants will never know the god-given gift that is Crayon Shin-Chan.

Lucid

VHSs. Capri Sun. Mini DVDs. Genie Pants. Pokemon cards. Gushers. Pongs. Tamigachi. The caesar. Rollerblades. Hit-Clips. Moon-Boots. Walk-man's (those ugly yellow ones omg). Bell bottoms tried to be cool. Surge "energy drink". Scooters. Zebra Stripe Gum. Why was Friends so popular? No one knew how to do make up. Jean Jackets. Let's all pretend to be spacemen for a year! That shit was awful.

Also I had an old Nokia track phone from 1998 as my first phone. I could probably brake one of your skulls then wash that shit and it'd work. 90's phones didn't fuck around. Also, who remembers snake?

pkmin3033

Amongst other things:

- Actually going fishing and bug-catching
    - Watching decent cartoons
    - Going to Woolworths
    - Eating Taz bars
    - Being amazed by 3D graphics
    - Sega doing what Nintendon't
    - The new Harry Potter book hype
    - Goosebumps
    - VHS
    - Mr. Blobby
    - POKEMON CARDS
    - A world without the Star Wars prequels
    - Everyone wanting a Buzz Lightyear
    - Jason David Frank/Tommy Oliver being THE Power Ranger
    - The 90s X-Men theme being hummed by literally everyone
    - Cassette Tapes
    - Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds and Stingray

...I could go on.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't know about some of these things. I can get being sad about kids not having the same food, not experiencing e.g. the Harry Potter hype as people still waited on new books to come out and stuff, but really, kids are lucky they get all the technology of today!

We have fond memories of VHSs but honestly, DVDs (or online sources even) are just a lot more convenient. The only reason many people "miss" VHS and other older technology is because of nostalgia. Same goes for cassettes. I, too, like to think of them as an important part of my childhood but really, they were quite inconvenient. You had to take them out and turn around half-way through and sometimes the tape would get completely tangled and, in the worst case scenario, render the cassette useless. Whelp.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    My childhood :'( Man I miss that game

Didn't it like come back in some kind of 'revived' form, the same thing but going under a different name? Either way, Crater was the biz, man.

Also I had an old Nokia track phone from 1998 as my first phone. I could probably brake one of your skulls then wash that **** and it'd work. 90's phones didn't **** around. Also, who remembers snake?

Snaaaake! I poured hours into that game when I wasn't texting my aunt. That and Space Defense!

Let's see what I got

-Rugrats
    -Cartoons appearing on non all-the-time-cartoon-channels like Sky 1
    -WWF Attitude Era
    -Spyro & Crash as they should always have been
    -Penny Arcades
    -Browsing the internet on tiny phone screens
    -Horrors of dial-up
    -Big 'n' fat SD-screen TVs
    -CDs
    -Blowing into cartridges to get them to work
    -Jetix
    -Chalkrooms + classrooms that don't have a computer in the corner

Years
    Most kids today won't get to know much about products that were huge fads in an era they still weren't born in, like leg-warmers or Tamagotchis. And of course Pokemon's heyday as well, or any other gaming franchise that seems like it got ruined these days... looking at you Spyro and Crash.

Lucid

It was really a sad prettier time then the early 90's with all the hair metal hangers on. Pretty is an overstatement but...

Bay

Years
    Myspace and custom profile pages were a thing back when I was growing up.

Oh man, I remember when I was in high school Myspace was huge. I used to do a few blog post on that site, haha. Everyone then shifted to Facebook, welp.

For me a lot were already mentioned like dial-up, walkman CDs, Pokemon's huge popularity (it's still big today but not as huge as in the 90s), VHS, and several others.

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    Kids will never know the desperate struggle for batteries just so you can play your Gameboy. The Gameboy was my first gaming console ever given to me by my sister. When I ran out of batteries there were no games for me. :(

My god, yes. My parents, for some insane reason we were poor only bought two Gameboys for me and my five sisters. IMMEDIATELY when the little light turned from green to red we would run screaming, "WE NEED MORE BATTERIES THE GAMEBOY'S GONNA DIE". Eventually I realized I could just ask my parents to buy a ten-pack anytime we went grocery shopping, and I built myself an emergency stockpile of batteries as a result, but that didn't always work. There are painful days I can remember not playing my Gameboy because we had no batteries. Even after stealing the TV remote's batteries. That was something I learned to do real quick.

Kinda on the contrary since they'll know more about it than we ever did as technology advances.

But new kids don't think of it as a planet :(

I don't think anyone's commented about this yet, but the "Save" button on games, apps, and programs - it's a fucking floppy disc. When did that become the image of "save your work"? New kids don't know that image used to exist and used to be the primary way of holding memory, before thumb drives were even a thing.
    And don't even get me started on dial-up internet. I'm trying to have a great time playing Neopets (SPEAKING OF WHICH, NEW KIDS DON'T KNOW ABOUT NEOPETS. I MADE SO MANY FRIENDS ON THAT WEBSITE BEFORE NICKELODEON BOUGHT AND RUINED IT WITH ADS AND FUCKING NEOCASH. SPEAKING OF WHICH, ADS DIDN'T USED TO EXIST), playing the Snake, Pong, and Galaga clones trying to earn enough Neopoints for the Secret Laboratory Map pieces when all of a sudden one of your parents gets a phone call. Guess what? No Neopoints for that game.

EDIT: Just dug out my Gameboy Light and tried to find batteries for it. We have none. Now I'm depressed.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    90's cartoons. Like, can we just say that those were the best days ever? Does anyone agree? Not that I hate a lot of the stuff now but... none of it can ever compare to the 90's. I pretty much grew up with 90's cartoons.

Also, silly putty. That stuff was fucking epic. It was fun when you also tried to eat it like gum.

Back