• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Last One to Post Wins! v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    At least they get quickbanned from competitive play, immediately. People just don't feel comfortable seeing it on the team preview screen.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They never took dynamax away from random battles. It was not a fun mechanic there either.

Years
    Dynamax at least felt necessary during a playthrough to me, when the other trainer uses it or is about to use it I would to.

I've been playing Violet for a while now, and other than doing it once or twice early game just to try it out, I've never felt any need to actually Terastallize my Pokemon, and just plain haven't done so since. I'm far from done though so maybe it will happen yet.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Terastal looks like a fun mechanic. I understand it's broken in competitive play and Smogon is considering taking action (suspect test right now).

Which makes me think about this: try to imagine the next battle mechanic. Can you come up with something?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I would be down for a new Pokemon mechanic that not only stuck around. But also ends up being balanced enough that it allows for fun gameplay.

Years
    Balanced is the problem isn't it. Nerf something and something else they didn't plan on will become super dominant. They'll figure it out by Gen 25 hopefully.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Personally I thought mega evolution was a great way to get under appreciated pokemon time in the spotlight.

On the contrary, I now think these would have been better as permanent evolutions. I wouldn't even mind seeing 4 stage evos as a new mechanic.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm not sure Game Freak ever wants something balanced. I think they just want something visually appealing (those crystallized Pokémons are beautiful!) and that gives a feeling of power to the player.
    IMO Terastal is balanced but the fact that the Pokémon that will use it, and the type it will get, are impredictible, make it too random for competitive play. I heard that Smogon was suspect-testing it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I don't wrap my head around much competitively but it's definitely an interesting element. I like a bit more unpredictability honestly!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think the main thing here is that Pokemon was never supposed to be competitive on the level people expect it to be now. Like, sure, competitions have always existed, even in gen 1. And one of the main appeals of the series was that you could battle your friends.

But there are also so many elements that just don't really work out that well (all the RNG for example) and the constant power creep that we see because of course they want people to use the new stuff and not just stick with the old one...

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think the main thing here is that Pokemon was never supposed to be competitive on the level people expect it to be now.
    Exactly.

"I wanna be the very best" calls for competitive play though, but I agree, competitive play is more a side effect (or even, a collateral damage) than an intention of the developers.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The strategies in the games are definitely not nearly as intriguing as the ones people need to employ to win this thread, though. :P

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You would need Ion Storm (Deus Ex's devs) to develop the next Pokémon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back