• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

least favorite game

Years
    • Seen today
    This isn't a popular thing to say, but it's Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Ironically my favorites are the Gen 2 games.

It's just that the pace breaks it for me. Gen 4 feels sluggish, and there's certain points where it feels like the difficulty spikes and I don't feel like grinding because the game is slow.

Then there's the gym leader rematches. I didn't enjoy gathering the phone numbers and having to call at very specific times to challenge them.

I also didn't enjoy the remixed sound tracks as much, or the art style. Where gen 2 sprites felt like looking at a coloring book which I like a lot.

Years
  • i definitely understand... grinding is immensely slow in gen iv, and it doesn't help that the battle animations go so slowly too. :( one of the biggest weak points of hgss for sure.

I honestly can't decide, but I suppose swsh so far? the characters are cool and I adore the music, but story/lore-wise, it definitely captured the least of my interest.

pkmin3033

Either Black or Moon I think, because of that abysmal diminishing returns EXP system that just makes the grind take a painful amount of time...I'd be inclined to say Black because the random encounter rate is also obscenely broken in certain places like Chargestone Cave. The entire thing is a slog and, much as I dislike Shield, at least that was over with quickly...Black seemed determined to make everything take as long as possible and completely suck the fun out of all of it.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • X/Y. Stories were shit. Team Flare was shit. mega evolutions were a huge a mistake....I can't believe I bought Pokemon X A DAY after the launch day. I regret it tbh I have never disliked a Pokemon game as much as I have X/Y, apart from maybe Pokemon Dash. That stupid spinoff game has....absolutely no business existing, but here we are.

Years
  • xy is understandable, it seems like that's a fairly popular opinion nowadays. A lot of people were distracted by the fact that it was the first 3D main series game we had, so opinions when it was new were more biased. I liked it a lot personally, but completely agree that the story and characters/rivals were subpar at best :(

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • xy are my least favorites. i don't think a bad game exists in main series pokemon so i'm not saying they're bad. for being my least favorites, i actually put a lot of time into x. i even have two copies of y. something about gen 6 overall though leaves me in a weird place. i can't describe it. but back to xy specifics, i found the games too easy, i didn't enjoy team flare or their motive and just thought they were really weak, the gym leaders are the most forgettable in the series, the rivals were really under utilized (i've stated elsewhere they could have insanely benefitted from being your respective rivals in different things like PR vids, dex completion, etc.), music was forgettable aside from a few tracks, the list kind of goes on. i think that what makes this all so noticeable to fans is that it came off the heels of gen 5 which had been highly acclaimed (especially at that time) for its story and character development. so to go from that to what xy brought us, it was a huge downgrade. and we seemed to excuse it back then bc it was the first generation on a new console since gen 4 and everyone was ready to make that jump to 3D. but i don't think xy would stick out like such a sore thumb in those ways had gen 5 not been so story and character heavy. but that can't be changed now.

it so desperately needed a z version to come in and fix these issues...and they just deadass ignored it. really the first major region to get ignored like that. every region (too early to speak for gen 8 but every one before) has gotten a deluxe version (yellow, crystal, etc) or a sequel (bw2, usum) and they didn't give xy/kalos a damn thing. they just left it hanging. like they were fucking READY to be done with it just like we were and moved on to alola. like really thinking about it now, i wonder if that was seriously the case. like they just straight up don't like that game or aren't proud of it or something. makes me wonder.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • X and Y, not very memorable in terms of the new Pokémon, the "rivals", the villainous team or the Elite 4. I think Yveltal is the only Gen 6 Pokémon that I would consider adding to my list of favourite Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Black and White, because i didnt finish it despite starting it. Maybe its not because of the game but because i was bored of Pokemon at that time but nothing in the game kept me interested playing it after the 2nd or third gym.
    Of all the games i finished, i liked gen 2 the least. The low level curve and the fact that you figth Team rocket only 2 or 3 times (which is less than in the previous games) before the e4 made the region feel harmless.

Impuulse

sent out Politoed!
    Years
    • They/Them
    • U.S.A
    • Seen Oct 20, 2020
    Hmm, mostly Gen 2 or Gen 5.

I don't really like Gen 2 because of the game mechanics and the storyline, basically the whole game bores me.

And the reason why I despise Gen 5 is because of the new Pokémon, and the linearity. 😬

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
  • Gen 8. All my fave pokemon besides Sawk were cut. Luxray, Electivire, Honchkrow... The expansion pass has a few more, but i don't have it.

Years
  • It's a bit of a toss up between Red and Blue or Sword and Shield. To me, Red and Blue are unplayable between the awful sprites and even worse mechanics. I don't see any value to them besides nostalgia and even at that, Crystal is, for me, more nostalgic and so much better that I don't even think you can compare the two fairly. Sword and Shield were pretty much a disappointment from the first trailer. I never liked the designs of Zacian and Zamazenta and only saw them as on opporunity for depraved weebs to make more Rule 34 with. Dexit is unacceptable when you're just reusing the 3DS models anyway and Sword and Shield was the worst story to date. I am getting really fed up with having my hand held throughout my "journey" and the game is so fucking linear that it is impossible to make any decisions for yourself besides what limited roster you are going to get through this dumpster fire with. I am going to give Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company one more chance to put out a great game like we all know they are capable of doing and if they put out another game this bad then I hope I am not the only fan to depart because they only way we can make them change is with our wallets.

Years
  • Ruby and Sapphire. While I enjoyed them a lot more for their time, nowadays there are things that just don't stand well the same way. The characters are a joke (a rival that you never see their starter's final form, and a villainous team with redundant schemes and use all of THREE Pokemon), and training is very not fun. GSC are my second least favorites for similar reasons, including how Kanto ultimately feels just there when you're steamrolling through everything.

That's not to say I think they're bad games per se - they introduced a lot to the franchise and were important in those regards - just ones I would rather play other games, like their remakes.

Years
  • Ruby and Sapphire. While I enjoyed them a lot more for their time, nowadays there are things that just don't stand well the same way. The characters are a joke (a rival that you never see their starter's final form, and a villainous team with redundant schemes and use all of THREE Pokemon), and training is very not fun. GSC are my second least favorites for similar reasons, including how Kanto ultimately feels just there when you're steamrolling through everything.

That's not to say I think they're bad games per se - they introduced a lot to the franchise and were important in those regards - just ones I would rather play other games, like their remakes.

So if given the option would you rather do a playthrough of Red and Blue over Ruby and Sapphire? I am really curious on how other people feel about Gen 1 because I don't think they offer anything besides nostalgia and these forums need more actual conversations as opposed to people just stating their opinion and leaving a thread.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Generation 7 for me. Ultra Beasts are an absolute incoherent concept design wise for me and I couldn't care less about catching those. The infamous long cutscenes bothered me and visually it did the least for me compared to the others.
    The new features that were added didn't do much either for me. Replacing Gyms by Totems felt like such a sideway move. Also, Z-Moves? I'm can even recall one by name. I enjoyed it for sure but certainly the least. I played Platinum, Black 2 and Sword afterwards (all first playthroughs) so there was a fair comparison between new and old as well. I do love the Alolan forms though!

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Gen 3

I don't really remember the Gym leaders other than Norman and Wallace i think? Not memorable for me.

Years
  • no game was as disappointing to me as Pokemon Dash.

ok look, Dash had potential, i think. a racing pokemon game is interesting, but.. the execution left something to be desired. as far as i can recall, the player can only control pikachu and no other pokemon. unless your favourite pokemon was the cute little mascot, this isn't exactly ideal for those who want various choices to "race" with. that and iirc the game was mostly played with touch controls? i suppose it was a way to utilize the touch screen of the DS at the time, but it just... wasn't fun for me. i've sincerely tried to give this a shot and i've played this for a few hours, but i just couldn't.

no main series pokemon game has disappointed me this much. not even black and white and i consider that to be my "least" favourite of the main series games.

Years
  • I don't remember this one even being a thing

but that says something about it, doesn't it? lol

exactly. it was a spinoff that was rather under the rather but a disappointing spinoff at that. at least Pokemon Conquest had a unique mix/crossover and concept going for it that was actually done pretty well... this was just a barely slapped together "racing" game with pikachu in front.

Back