• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Least favorite Generation 5 Pokemon?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • I hope there isn't already a thread for this, if so I'm sorry to have missed it ;)

Anyway, always when I want to play a Gen.5 game (Black/White/Black2/White2) I have such a hard time deciding which Pokemon I should have on my team. I like the concept of the Gen.5 games (like surroundings, new region, seasons and stuff), but most Pokemon in Gen.5 don't appeal to me enough, so thats why most of the time I use the same Pokemon I really like over and over again because I can't stand most of them... :x

I don't know if I'm the only one thinking like this about the Gen.5 games, but even though I don't like to say this, there isn't any other generation of Pokemon where I dislike this many mons and especially in Generation 5 it LOOKS like they almost ran out of ideas for Pokemon...

For example, the Pokemon I dislike the most (from the start, as soon as I saw them) in Generation 5 are:
    1. Tepig line - Tepig is kinda cute, but what happened with Pignite and especially Emboar?!
    2. Pansage/Pansear/Panpour line - Sure it came in handy you can get these "elemental monkeys" early in-game, but I just don't like them and their looks (NEVER use them)...
    3. Tympole line - I like Tympole and Palpitoad is OK, bit Seismitoad creeps me out, mainly because of those weird bumps on it's body and that battle cry... xD
    4. Timburr line - Timburr is OK, but the evolutions (especially Conkeldurr) creep me out xD
    5. Throh and Sawk - omg what is the meaning of this? They look too humanoid imo, and humanoid Pokemon always kinda creep me out, but these two are just... hideous imo
    6. Vanillite line - OK, I won't lie; first time I saw this I thought Pokemon was done for... I seriously thought: come on! Icecream as a Pokemon?! What's next...
    7. Durant - This one annoys me A LOT, especially in Gen.6, I continuously keep running into these in the wild, can't escape while I'm overleveled, it drives me crazy!
    8. Heatmor - I know there aren't a lot of Fire-types (pretty much in every region), but even though I like it partially, it's design still looks so weird (especially the tail...). It just could have looked different, maybe they should have put more thoughts into this one
    9. Frillish line - They just look a bit weird imo, but the evolutions of them look even more weird and kinda creep me out as well xD (another mustache/lipstick thing... Pokemon should NOT have those things)

It would be interesting to see how you guys think about the Generation 5 games and what your opinions are about this! :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would say Trubbish and Garbodor. Their designs don't look too well to me, sadly. I understand that they are literally meant to be made of garbage and whatnot, but even so, I'm sure their appearance could have laid-out better overall if they had tried. Though, I believe that their idea is pretty creative; they've had Pokémon based off similar things before, such as Grimer and Muk, and I'm sure many of us didn't find ourselves complaining regarding them, aha.

Aside from that, I'm not too fond of Vanillite line; it's kind of a scary thought to be mistaking Pokémon for ice-cream, then attempting to devour them.

Years
  • 1. Amoonguss (Barf.)
    2. Basculin (Bored)
    3. Throh/Sawk (too humanoid)
    4. Klinklang (too complex and mechanical.)
    5. Emboar (least favorite evolved starter)
    6. Alomamola (Bored, I would say I even prefer luvdisc.)
    7. Vanillish and Vaniluxe (I think an icecream pokemon is great, and I think Vanilite is really cute, but...it's evo's!)
    8. Ferroseed line (awkward design)

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Either Druddigon or Klinklang. The former looks weird and disappointing considering it's supposed to be based of a gargoyle + European dragon and the latter is a really lazy design.

Years
  • I dislike Pansage/Pansear/Panpour and their evolution because I'm not fond of their appearances at all. They all appear way too ugly for my taste.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Gen 5 has a lot of Pokemon I like, but it also has some I don't like:

-Trubbish/Garbodor: I don't like them not because of the usual "oh Game Freak is running out of ideas" response, but because the idea of a garbage Pokemon in general is just not appealing to me.
    -Pansear, Panpour, Pansage, etc: I don't like monkeys. The only exception is Infernape.
    -Basculin: This thing, it's so lame and boring. Having two different colors doesn't do anything to make that better.

Years
  • I have the same opinion as you on the species introduced in Gen 5, overall they kinda suck. The games themselves are fine, but especially in the original B/W it was a bit annoying to be forced into using the species native to Unova.

I actually quite like two of the commonly hated ones, Trubbish/Garbodor (Trubbish is slightly cute, Garbodor isn't a completely terrible design) and the Timburr line (Timburr and Gurdurr actually look like improvements in terms of design on Machop/Machoke and even though Conkeldurr is ugly he carried me through B/W so I like him).

For me everything about Pignite and Emboar's design is pretty bad. I like fire starters and this is the only time I'd never consider picking the fire starter. Tepig is okay, but by the end it's incredibly ugly especially when compared to the rather elegant final forms of the other two starters. It also didn't look right (I really can't explain) in sprite form, similar to Magmortar, but this has been remedied a bit in X/Y.

Woobat/Swoobat are definitely up there, we have one set of annoying bats we don't need another just because you feel like hitting the reset switch on everything GF. These are much more poorly designed and there is no cool third form (like Crobat in the original bat stages) to counter the annoying first two stages. In terms of rehashed ideas gone wrong, the Tympole line, Throh/Sawk, Pidove line (especially when Braviary & Mandibuzz are in the game being much cooler) and Roggenrola lines are all terrible as well.

Other than that plethora of poor designs, I would also give honourable mentions to Basculin, Sigilyph, Yamask & evo, Frillish/Jellicent, Klink/Klang/Klinklang, Tynamo & evos, Elgyem & Beeheyem, Cryogonal, Stunfisk and finally Golett/Golurk. A fair few of these are also pretty pointless for battling too.

I did enjoy the games though, honest.

tl;dr I hated a lot of designs.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm actually a big fan of the Pokemon designs in generation V. There are only a couple I don't like. Some of the biggest targets for gen V are actually some that I really like, those being the Trubbish and Vanillite lines. The thing about Trubbish and Garbodor is that they're at least something. People complain about them, but look at their generation I equivalents, Grimer and Muk. They're piles of sludge, yet no one seems to complain about that. Garbage bags with actual substance and pipes and stuff you can see in them? Oh, the humanity! I like them.

Anyway, for what I don't like, I'm not a fan of Druddigon. It just looks really uninspired and for a generation that took a lot of risks in designs, this one falls flat. It's not just looks either. It's overall a very boring and bland Pokemon.

Next is the Tympole line. While I don't mind Tympole, its evolutions are just warts and herpes. That's all there is to that, really. They're just ugly and I don't like them. Battle wise, I think Seismitoad is fun to use, so it's got that going for it.

In general, I think they introduced way too many Pokemon this generation. A lot of them get a lot of hate and while a lot have stats out the roof, about the same amount are lacking and we sit here and wonder what their purpose is and think of them as missed opportunities. That's how I feel about the Klink line, anyway. Really simple, but cool concept. But wtf stats.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    For some reason Alomomola just doesn't fit well with me. I think it just looks really derpy even though I know what kind of species it is. And the whole evolved Pan-trio. They just look horrible to me. Their pre-evolutions are fine, cute and adorable, but once they evolve they look like they've been on some sort of acid, and not the good type either.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Tepig line - fire/fighting again ended up being overdone. The design of Emboar was pretty bad imo and out of three f/f starters they debuted the worst one last which is never a good idea.

Patrat line - I mean its that pretty worthless rodent of the generation so I wasn't that taken back at how bad looking they were, but really... I thought Bidoof was bad, but after seeing these I just realized Bidoof was silly and these are truly bad.

The elemental monkeys - I think the first stage of them all were good, but their final stages are all so ugly. Idk they seem really cartoonish to me.

Timburr line - really strange looking, ugly, I thought the objects they carry were really dumb/weren't very natural

Tympole line - very creepy looking, it's final evolution reminds me of a character from little nicky with boobs on his head

Thoh/Sawk - One short red with robe, one tall blue with robe uhhhhhhhhhhh

Vanillite line - lol I just find it extremely dumb being a single cone ice cream that evolves into a bigger ice cream and then a sundae.

The Kami trio - I pretend they never existed

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I love most gen 5 Pokemon, but I still hate Vanilluxe with a burning passion that could melt it if it ever got close to me! Also not a fan of Black Kyurem.
    The Kami trio - I pretend they never existed
    How could you! What did Thundurus ever do to you???

Also, slightly off topic, but I notice a lot of people saying Garbodor, which is funny because I loved it the second I saw it. It looks like it came out of an old Sci-Fi monster movie!

Years
  • This is hard because 5th Gen has so many of my faves, but I still have my dislikes.

Least favorite Generation 5 Pokemon?

Stunfisk: It's so... flat and nothing but a joke. Although it does at least have a unique type combination so it's not all that bad, and has fairly good bulk along with it.

Trubbish line: One of my least fave Pokemon ever, mainly because it's ugly. Although I hate Garbodor more than Trubbish, and that's probably because Trubbish was kinda portrayed as cute in the anime so it's not as unsettling.

Bouffalant: I do love how it's a powerful physical attacker but I hate how it's slow as molasses. If it wasn't so slow I would have liked it better but I know that I'm better with fast playstyles here.

Druddigon: Ugliest-looking Dragon-type, period. Has nothing special going for it either.

Shelmet line: While trading with a certain Pokemon was a unique feature, I still wasn't a fan of this line. Karrablast's line looks much cooler in my opinion.

But yeah, much less least faves than I expected. Probably because I love this generation a lot the numbers were short.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Least favorite Generation 5 Pokemon?

Druddigon: Ugliest-looking Dragon-type, period. Has nothing special going for it either.

Shelmet line: While trading with a certain Pokemon was a unique feature, I still wasn't a fan of this line. Karrablast's line looks much cooler in my opinion.

But yeah, much less least faves than I expected. Probably because I love this generation a lot the numbers were short.

and to think these two are my favourite gen 5 'mons...

Least favourites would be Unfezant, Mandibuzz, Emolga, Gigalith's line and Genesect, mainly because of how stupid they look (especially Genesect) and how useless they are (well, except for Mandibuzz in XY and obviously Genesect, but you can't get it in a normal playthrough). Unfezant is probably the worst of the 5 birds, Mandibuzz is useless in-game and annoying competitively with Defog/Roost/Toxic/Foul Play, Emolga is just another Pikachu ripoff and Gigalith seems out of place, really... I think Golem would do its job better since at least it has Sucker Punch, the elemental punches, and STAB on EQ.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Gen 5 has some awesome designs but here are some I am not so fond of.

Stoutland is a serious disappointment for me. I really love the design of Herdier and seeing him evolve into this makes him look overdesigned and too furry. Really bummed that he turned into this. St. Brenards are not even that downy...

I don't really mind Timburr (who I think is cute) or Conkeldurr, but this thing looks really gross to me for some reason.

I know what they were going for but those eyes just freak me out.

Just ugly, and a cheap attempt to copy the Voltorb/Electrode thing from the first gen. Didn't really work well with me. He's a good mon though.

I know these guys are based off of things in Japanese culture and all but they look too samey for me. Having one would be cool, but three is kind of lame. I like their therian forms though.

SapphireMillennium

The Legend of Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't like the elemental monkeys, as well as the trash bag Pokemon's evolution...can't remember its name. Trubbish is cute, but its evolution...meh.

To be completely honest, 5th gen. probably has my least favorite set of Pokemon in general. Don't get me wrong, though, there are quite a few awesome ones, as well.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I don't really like Druddigon. It looks like something that doesn't really belong in Pokemon at all, and in Gen 5, all the way through to current times, it's just been...there.

Generation V brought along some of my favourite Ghost type Pokemon - from the overpoweredness of Chandelure (which is one of my top 5 favourite Pokemon of all time) to the bulkiness of Jellicent, I love them all. Well, most.

Enter Cofagrigus. My first encounter with this thing got me pretty angry, just the thought of my Scrafty's amazing Moxie ability being nullified by the sarcophagus' infectious ability, Mummy, made me upset. I hated its defenses, too, especially Shauntal's Cofagrigus. The thing could take a nuclear bomb and then give you an irritating ability afterwards.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Klink, Klang, & Klinklang is the main 5th generation Pokemon I dislike mostly by it's design.

the other two I dislike are both Vullaby and Rufflet.
    Spoiler:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    My personal least favourite Unova Pokemon are:

Patrat and Watchog - Weak, hideous, and annoying. Sure, they may have a good movepool, but everything they can do, can be done better by many other Pokemon.

Herdier and Stoutland - Already explained this one.

Tranquill - These things just love spamming Detect and Roost on me while I'm training my Pokemon. I'll admit I had a Pidove in Pokemon White 2, but I ditched it immediately after getting a Zubat, simply because I despise Tranquill so much.

Basculin - Does this thing have to be in every body of water in Unova? At least Magikarp and Tentacool can evolve. Basculin, on the other hand, has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Garbodor - It's not just a trash bag, it's also annoying! Especially when I was training my Fraxure on Route 9 in Pokemon White 2. Ever since then, I learned that Garbodor couldn't be redeemed for me.

Emolga - This thing is very annoying in the hands of Elesa, and it also tends to annoy me in the wild.

Stunfisk - This thing isn't underrated, it's overrated.

Honorable mentions: Emboar, the Pansear line, the Panpour line, Unfezant, Boldore, Whimsicott, the Klink line, and Cryogonal.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Oh yeah, I forgot Watchog. I hate that thing.
    Basculin - Does this thing have to be in every body of water in Unova? At least Magikarp and Tentacool can evolve. Basculin, on the other hand, has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
    He has excellent abilities. That's a redeeming feature in my book. I used one my first time through Unova and it was fun.

Back