• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ledian = Pokejunk?

Years
  • I am currently making breeding test with Bug pokemons to see if I can make them good. I tried to do something with Ledyba/Ledian. I even took the trouble to get it from the Pokemon Safari with Adamant synchronize and get it's secret ability: Iron fist. Looking at it's info sheet, I thought maybe I could a so-so boxing bug with it. I breed it to give it perfect Atk. IV and gave it the following move:

Moves: Drain Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, U-Turn (yes, I have spend 24 BP on this s***)

I figured that with Iron fist + Lightning,Ice and fighting fists, I had a wide coverage toward weaknesses and U-Turn to bug out just in case. But even at lvl. 55, Ledian has a whooping 68 Atk! I realized early on that it was not worth spending the EV training. Even like this, it can't one-punch down a lvl. 45 pokemon that's weak to a Thunder-punch. So it's almost worthless unless I organize with a friend a battle of weak pokemons (say stats under 400)

So I am right in saying that Ledian is one of the worst pokemons out there??

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Its typing does not help either haha. It has no stats to work around, and drain punch is not as useful without bulk. And the others lack STAB as well- other than u-turn of course.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I LOVE the desing of Ledian!! I hope it's gonna have a Mega Evolution one day pleaaaaaase

But I agree, I never saw anyone who can play with this Pokemon... Everything this Pokemon can do, another one can do it better...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It doesn't have a good attack stat and even Iron Fist doesn't medicate that.

If you wanna use it, though, try using one with Light Screen, Reflect, Encore and U-Turn.

Years
  • I always found Ledian so difficult to use, its stats are complete rubbish except for Sp. Defense (I think) and not even Iron Fist is enough to help it, since its punching moves are still weak even with the ability.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Its typing does not help either haha. It has no stats to work around, and drain punch is not as useful without bulk. And the others lack STAB as well- other than u-turn of course.
    This is so true, in a sense the Ledian line is more pathetic than a Magikarp, a Magikarp at least evolves into something useful. It's really a bleh Pokemon if you ask me. If there are no Contest and Pokeathlon, this Pokemon would have no other use than a Pokedex data requirement Like in BW. Lol

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • It's not exactly an offensive powerhouse, but you can use it as a special wall Baton Passer with Silver Wind/Swords Dance.

Give it Swarm instead of Iron Fist so maybe you can cheese a late U-Turn or Silver Wind if it comes down to that.

But yes, pretty much anything you want Ledian to do, another Pokemon can do it better. If you want to go for flavor, by all means do so.

Five Star Pokemon gets 5/10 rating.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I feel Ledian's stats and typing doesn't really do it much justice, compared to its other Bug-type brethren. It's a shame - I do like its design but it doesn't have too much going for it.

Years
  • This is reminding me of the time that Marriland unfortunately ended up with a Ledian very late into his Y WonderWedlocke stream (with no bag items in battle) after he had beaten Lysandre, and after training it and its partner (a Banette) up, they died in their first real fight.

But I wonder if it would fare me any better if I were to use one early on...

Years
  • Like Boomerang Cutter said, its really only good point is its design (dem alien eyes) but it gets outclassed by even fellow Bug/Flying-types, and pretty much all other Bug-types in general.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It's effectively an inferior Vespiquen.

I've never seen it used successfully and I searched a lot since I've always thought it was THE worst Pokémon in GSC to use in competitive battle and one of the worst in the game overall.

It's worthless as an attacker, but it gets Baton Pass, dual screens, stat-boosting moves and a few other supporting alternatives, so it should be used for that. It's one of the worst alternatives if you need a BPer, though. The typing sucks, the Speed is bad, and it dies to anything physical.

People usually joke about Farfetch'd but Ledian is probably a much better example of how NOT to create a competitive Pokémon. I mean, Farfetch's actually has a lot of nifty tools to work with along with a good typing, it just doesn't have the stats. Still, Ledian was probably never intended for competitive since it's an early game bug and becomes redundant very quickly as most of them do in their respective games. It does pale in comparison with its counterpart Ariados, though, and Ariados itself was never good to begin with.

That being said... Using one would definitely be an interesting challenge.

Years
  • HA! thanks for the reply after a week, I was kind of getting desperate. ^_^

The point of this experiment was that I did a monotype-run bug lately, so I wanted to assess all the bugs. I tried to do stuff with almost all of the bugs. I finally came up with duo awards for best, worst and unique. The bug awards:

BEST: Scizor, Volcarona
    UNIQUE: Shedinja, Shuckle
    WORST: Ledyan, Kricketune

And yes, Ledyan came in first place because of it's horrible stats. When I breed a pokemon, I really try to find it's unique flavor. I often give move according to flavor. That's why I thought Iron fist with 3 kind of punch moves was a good idea, but it came out bad... :-(

Light Screen, Reflect, Encore and U-Turn. That's Smogon's idea. I had read it and thought it was of interesting that Ledyan came up with 3 protection move as it evolved from Ledyba. So basically it can only be a shield builder.

However I did end up using it. I breed another male one, gave it Baton Pass. The used it as a Baton Pass breeder. I ended up giving Baton Pass to Volbeat (Tail glow) and Masquerain (Quiver Dance). So It wasn't totally useless.

At this point I'm thinking of organizing a mini-tournament with friends of pokemons with global stats under 400. Ledyan could be viable for that.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    HA! thanks for the reply after a week, I was kind of getting desperate. ^_^

The point of this experiment was that I did a monotype-run bug lately, so I wanted to assess all the bugs. I tried to do stuff with almost all of the bugs. I finally came up with duo awards for best, worst and unique. The bug awards:

BEST: Scizor, Volcarona
    UNIQUE: Shedinja, Shuckle
    WORST: Ledyan, Kricketune

And yes, Ledyan came in first place because of it's horrible stats. When I breed a pokemon, I really try to find it's unique flavor. I often give move according to flavor. That's why I thought Iron fist with 3 kind of punch moves was a good idea, but it came out bad... :-(

Light Screen, Reflect, Encore and U-Turn. That's Smogon's idea. I had read it and thought it was of interesting that Ledyan came up with 3 protection move as it evolved from Ledyba. So basically it can only be a shield builder.

However I did end up using it. I breed another male one, gave it Baton Pass. The used it as a Baton Pass breeder. I ended up giving Baton Pass to Volbeat (Tail glow) and Masquerain (Quiver Dance). So It wasn't totally useless.

At this point I'm thinking of organizing a mini-tournament with friends of pokemons with global stats under 400. Ledyan could be viable for that.

Have you hosted said tournament yet and if not could I participate with a mothim it isn't exactly under 400 but it is only 24 above 400 so it's not that powerfull and if it helps the movepool it has is kind of bad.

Back