• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Legendary Pokémon, Rival and Rotom unveiled

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It seems the Signature moves typing are Psychic/Steel and Psychic/Ghost just from their names, otherwise they are Steel and Ghost if they are single typed.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I was expecting our regional early route rodent, bird, and bug, plus some old favorites, but instead we got a new Rotom forme, out of nowhere. Also, I didn't notice that Solgaleo is weak to Fire, which the sun he's associated with is made out of.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • Gotta say, it is unexpected that the very Pokemon that would be representing the sun would be weak to fire. :x

Well, the Sun isn't made of fire either so. I think they are both Psychic to represent the "cosmic" side of things. The Sun is a star anyways, so that's where the "cosmic" side of things emerge. I didn't need to be fire.

Solgaleo design screams fire, thats for sure, but look at Solrock for example, It's not Fire type either.

Bay

Years
  • oh my goshh

Lillie? So cute. Pokédex Rotom? Adorable. And that girl playable character? Too darn cute! I am so massively excited, though I'm going to have to hold myself back from nicknaming Solgaleo Alphonse. =p

Haha, first time I've seen Solgaleo referenced as Alphonse (if you're talking about that character from fma XD ).

Pretty neat batch of news today. I too thought Rotom as pokedex is cute and interested how the rival Hau will be portrayed. Don't know what to think of Lillie just yet. Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards Lunala.

Years
  • Haha, first time I've seen Solgaleo referenced as Alphonse (if you're talking about that character from fma XD ).

Its ability is Full Metal Body.. seems like a perfect fit. ;D Though I'm a little confused about the steel typing since that means the Pokémon representing the sun is weak to fire, as colours said, so that's a little strange and something to get used to.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • When a star reaches a later stage in its life, it starts to fuse heavier elements eventually producing iron. Once iron comes into the equation is when the power and energy really starts to build up. Suddenly, it's no longer able to hold the structure resulting in the core collapsing in on itself giving off tremendous power as a supernova explosion. Perhaps Solgaleo is in its final stage in which is starts to reach that level of nuclear fusion to form iron. This could explain why Solgaleo is part Steel type and also could explain the energy it has and classification as a legendary.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Kinda disappointed that Solgaleo isn't Fire/Steel, while Lunala isn't Dark/Fairy. Makes sense considering their Sun/Moon motifs. Well, at least those who picked Litten in Sun have an opportunity to set fire to the sun.

That being said, Psychic/Steel has always been a good defensive typing, as seen with things like Metagross and Jirachi. Psychic/Ghost, on the other hand, not so much. 4x weaknesses to Ghost/Dark sucks.

Regarding the Pokemon themselves, I like their designs equally. I wonder if we can use the Rotom-Dex in battle, considering that a Pokemon lives in it.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • At first I imagined Solgaleo (or wtv) as a fire type, then I could imagine it as an electric type.. Now I totally see the steel part type, but I am really surprise about the psychic part.
    I love the dual typing of Lunala!

... At least they aren't dragons! :D

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    "Since ancient times, Solgaleo has been honored as an emissary of the sun. It is referred to with reverence as "the beast that devours the sun." Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active. It has a flowing mane with a remarkable resemblance to the sun." From Serebii.

So with that description in mind, I can kind of understand why it doesn't have to be a fire type. The resemblance to the sun and the idea that it hold all that energy make it a bit more understandable. Still, the Fire typing would have made more sense to me lol.

Years
  • I rather like that Solgaleo isn't a Fire-type. I like surprises in these games. We don't get enough of them.

I wonder if, being a Steel-type, the name references 'solder' (a low-melting alloy, especially one based on lead and tin or (for higher temperatures) on brass or silver, used for joining less fusible metals) and 'galvanize' (coat (iron or steel) with a protective layer of zinc) or if that's just a coincidence?

A typo Maybe. It's odd...never heard of Sunne and Moone as words before.
    They're old spellings of sun and moon. From ye olde times.

Reactions: JP

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I rather like that Solgaleo isn't a Fire-type. I like surprises in these games. We don't get enough of them.

I wonder if, being a Steel-type, the name references 'solder' (a low-melting alloy, especially one based on lead and tin or (for higher temperatures) on brass or silver, used for joining less fusible metals) and 'galvanize' (coat (iron or steel) with a protective layer of zinc) or if that's just a coincidence?

They're old spellings of sun and moon. From ye olde times.
    Ah, that might explain the E's. They reminded me of French words that end with an 'e' but you don't pronounce the 'e' the way you do in English (tends to be silent), except sun doesn't end with an e in French, and moon is 'Lune'.

Years
  • The thing with the protagonists is what fan nicknames they could get before the official names get revealed, since it tends to take a long time to find out the names. I recall Calem and Serena were called something like "Xavier" and "Yvonne" before the official names came out, or how the BW protagonists were initially called "Black" and "White".

I could see these protagonists having fan nicknames that are just the game versions or names that relate to the sun and moon. Like, have a sun-related name for the male and a moon-related name for the female.

Years
  • The thing with the protagonists is what fan nicknames they could get before the official names get revealed, since it tends to take a long time to find out the names. I recall Calem and Serena were called something like "Xavier" and "Yvonne" before the official names came out, or how the BW protagonists were initially called "Black" and "White".

I could see these protagonists having fan nicknames that are just the game versions or names that relate to the sun and moon. Like, have a sun-related name for the male and a moon-related name for the female.
    Xavier and Yvonne were based on pre-release material. Thus far these two protagonists lack pre-release names.

Right now I'll just refer to them by Sun (boy) and Moon (girl).

Years
  • Right now I'll just refer to them by Sun (boy) and Moon (girl).

I guess we could say those should be the nicknames for now. Speaking of sun and moon, I recall the protagonists of the first Pokemon Ranger game had names themed around the sun and moon - Lunick (male) and Solana (female). But I'm expecting the opposite this time around.

Years
  • I guess we could say those should be the nicknames for now. Speaking of sun and moon, I recall the protagonists of the first Pokemon Ranger game had names themed around the sun and moon - Lunick (male) and Solana (female). But I'm expecting the opposite this time around.

Maybe they'll have Sun as the female and Moon as the male again. In Shintoism the Sun deity is female, and the Moon deity male, a contrast to the Greco-roman view of the Sun and Moon.

Years
  • Maybe they'll have Sun as the female and Moon as the male again. In Shintoism the Sun deity is female, and the Moon deity male, a contrast to the Greco-roman view of the Sun and Moon.

Male protagonists tend to get named after the primary version (Gold, Ruby, Black etc) while the female tends to be named after the secondary one (such as Sapphire, White and so on) so I could likely see the fan nicknames (heck even the official names) go down that route.

Years
  • Male protagonists tend to get named after the primary version (Gold, Ruby, Black etc) while the female tends to be named after the secondary one (such as Sapphire, White and so on) so I could likely see the fan nicknames (heck even the official names) go down that route.

They haven't used the games names in the naming theme of the protagonists since Gen II, even the remakes of that Generation got new names, well the guy did, the girl who was in Crystal was replaced by a new protagonist. The rival of the Johto games never got an official name either, he's referred to as the 'Rival' like how the Protagonists right now are being referred to as well 'Protagonists'.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The names could be Solis and Luna. At least that is what I have been calling them. Those are the Latin words for Sun and Moon.

Years
  • They haven't used the games names in the naming theme of the protagonists since Gen II, even the remakes of that Generation got new names, well the guy did, the girl who was in Crystal was replaced by a new protagonist. The rival of the Johto games never got an official name either, he's referred to as the 'Rival' like how the Protagonists right now are being referred to as well 'Protagonists'.

I recall Lyra (the HG/SS female protagonist) was often nicknamed "Soul" (after Soul Silver) prior to her official name being revealed. The Johto games' rival never had an official name but according to Bulbapedia he seems to mostly be called "Silver" like how Ethan (Johto male protagonist) was initially called "Gold".

Back