• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lost Hobbies

Years
    • Seen today
    What is a hobby you once engaged in but no longer do?

Example: I have an interest in geography. However at one point I wanted to memorize as many locations, cities, and sizes of such places as possible. It was an interesting learning experience but ultimately futile. I'll still poke around with maps here and there.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I have a bunch of hobbies that I tried to get into but ultimately failed. For example I tried to get into competitive video games (Pokemon, Smash and an old one called "S4" for example). I also had some attempts in folding Origami and Crocheting is still on my list of "trying to get into properly", too. There was a time when I was really into drawing my own maps, as well.

I do have to say though: I sometimes take extended breaks from certain hobbies and still find some point in time when I get back to them. Like reading books or whenever I'm stuck in artist block and stuff like that.

Years
  • A lot of them. I am a lot like Megan, actually.
    I would say that I was into a lot of things that I either left or I have never properly got into them.
    One was clothing drawing and interest about fashion, then reading, swimming, learning about flowers and plants and surely some others that don't come to my mind lol. I wanted to get into crocheting too, but never even tried.

I like Linux and I think that's pretty much a hobby/choice of life (in some way), but I like messing around with it so I am keeping this one active somehow. But I often have a short range of improvement, so yeah I don't learn much.
    Then there are also languages, but I am not consistent, so I often forget things. I wouldn't call it a lost hobby because I really just don't have time, in general. It's still active and going, but a very weird and slow pace.

On the other hand, violin playing is still a lost hobby, but it's going to change. This year I was pretty ready to start but I had several things going on and I didn't manage to organise everything. The fact is that the violin is back in my hometown, so while I play it sometimes when I go there, I don't have it here with me. But for September, I'll be ready (I hope).

Years
  • I used to make handmade soaps. I found it relaxing to do, putting in the essential oils especially felt soothing, making the smell nice. I liked to play atmospheric music, nice Celtic or Arabian melodies as I crafted away. I bought all sorts of pretty and unique moulds for the soap, and had tried my hand at creating many different types, shea butter, coffee scrub, rose petal, honey, oatmeal, frankinsense and myrhh, orange peel, aloe, tea rinse, red clay, black soap. It was something different to do, it wasn't very hard, and knowing exactly what's in a beauty product you use can be useful.

At the same time though, it still is less convenient than just opening a box of soap, especially rebatch and cold or hot press methods- which are time-consuming, the later requiring the most care with safety goggles and well-ventilated areas since you are handling lye. Also the cost of materials is more than just buying bars from a store, even the most luxurious, hand-crafted ones by artisans, since i was just shopping for myself, and not buying supplies on a scale large enough to make a business out of. And while i thought what I made had a kinda homemade charm about it, it wasn't like I had a great talent to pursue, it would not stand out next to people who did this professionally and was only meant to be for fun.

I fancied giving soap away as gifts to neighbors, friends or family, along with other diy projects, but what was originally just going to be something i did on a special ocassion when i wanted to, became a more regular thing that i was being asked for without expecting to spend time helping me make it or give me any money to pay for the ingredients and wanting it ready by certain dates- last minute birthday present etc and it just became more trouble than it was worth
    People who didn't even know me were just coming up to me, saying that they heard about my soap and wanted me to give them some, and i couldn't afford to run a free beauty spa.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Mineralogy and Science. I used to collect crystallized rocks and rarely geodes. I was also fascinated in chemistry back in my middle school years up until highschool.

My hobby now is astronomy and the reason is because I love stars and I also saw a Red Moon several weeks ago. Whenever possible, I need to invest in a adequate quality telescope. Space has a lot of wonders.

I also may enjoy looking for classic cars on the street to take pictures, so I'm guessing I still at least have my photography hobby at hand, but still have to look for a better camera, unfortunately.

Years
  • Honestly? Anime. I like video games but I rarely watch anime these days.
    I was bullied a lot for liking it so...

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Drawing - As a child, I drew a lot. However, once I hit my teens I noticed I just wasn't very good at it. I could not draw the things in my head anymore, so for the most part I stopped. In my adulthood I haven't even tried except for on very rare occasions. Like last time being nearly a decade ago.

Trumpet - This was the instrument I chose in school band, but by the high school I was not feeling to attached to it. I mainly picked it because my cousin played it. After high school, I dropped it and have only played woodwinds (bassoon and oboe mainly) since.

Years
  • Basketball. I started playing at.. 7 or 8 years old and kept playing till I was 18.
    At that point the category I wanted to play (recreational, but with matches) didn't have enough people so there was no team for it. I either had to join the bench on the first squad for that age group, which meant going full on competitive and playing for the win rather than just to hang with other people and playing for fun, or quit.
    I quit and never went back to it despite liking the sport itself quite a lot.

Drawing was a lost hobby as well. Used to do it a lot in school. After a good decade of not drawing I caved after seeing too many events in the art section I wanted to join in on and took up making crappy drawings again =D

Years
  • Astronomy! I loved learning about the universe in my teens. But I just...stopped doing it one day and never picked it back up. But my husband is an astronomer so I suppose it's not a hobby that will entirely be lost in my life, lol.

Years
  • drawing comics. i was in a big Archie phase growing up (back when mom could still afford comic books for me, ily RIP :c) and would gather a bunch of paper, staple them together, and just go nuts making random stories of my characters. they all had to be guys tho bcs i struggled to draw a woman lol.

spinomania

Tech Guru
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    I used to drink alcohol, but now I quit. Does that count?
    I remember: I used to like to use AI because it speeds up my work, but now I get bored and want to do something on my own (create, I mean)
    I quit playing 20 Boost Host. It's my favorite game. It has 6 reels and lots of fruit. I grew up on this game; even my older brother played it. But with the advent of my family, I had no time, but I advised everyone to try it at least once. Or at least look at the review on this site. They do not oblige you anything; just read the article.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Writing is probably the biggest one that I put on the back burner. I used to write every day, sometimes even for hours. Currently, I still try to write every day, but it's definitely the first thing that I don't do if I don't feel like it.

Could also say reading. I still read, but my nose isn't always in a book, and I'm not always trying to find new ones to read.

There are other hobbies too that I don't do anymore. But the writing is the biggest one that I miss.

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • Being a long-time fan of the Zelda games, especially Ocarina of Time, it makes sense that I would want to learn to play a real ocarina. A few years ago, I ended up getting a replica OoT one along with a music book, and actually started learning it successfully. Some time later, I upgraded to a much better quality ocarina, it had a noticeably better and smoother sound. I never got good enough to play any actual songs from the Zelda games, I mostly had just learned basic, annoying nursery rhyme kind of ones. My favorite song I could play was Ode to Joy, because it covered pretty much every thing I had learned up to that point, and actually sounded like something. It became a lost hobby, though, as I just kind of stopped at some point. It's something I would like to bring back into my life at some point, but so far in the last few years it has only been a passing thought. I did enjoy my time with it, though, and actually got a music note tattoo on my wrist to remember that time. :D

Just for fun, here's the ocarinas and their case:
    Spoiler:

Days
    • Seen Jul 14, 2023
    Not much of a hobby but interacting with people irl is something I definitely haven't done for a good 2 years my life has been wrangling gators and screens.

I know my exsistent is sad

Years
  • Programming and gamedev. I used to engage with some gamefication sites about programming and I quite enjoy their puzzles. Nowadays, I only get to programming through my job, but I would like to get back to it on my own.

Years
  • For me the biggest would be anime and gaming. As a kid both consumed my life but.. now as an adult with a busier life I find myself less and less interested... But there are a couple games I still play from time to time, Pokemon being one of them along with Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles etc. :)

armadilloHD

FE style by sykora.
    Years
  • I loved drawing as a kid and I even basically made it my career, drawing technical drawings after college. I just started teaching myself how to draw by hand at the beginning of this year and I just love it so much. Glad I "found" a lost hobby of mine.

Years
  • I used to be really into coding back around 2021, especially Python and C but I kinda fell out of it since I felt like I was just making the same things over and over. I still toy around with programming on my TI-84 though; it's fun trying to create games around the constraints of TI-BASIC.

Back