• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Lucas or Dawn?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, just like almost every other Pokémon game, we had an option to choose from either boy or girl prior to kicking off our journey. These selections had consisted of two characters; male was Lucas, and female was Dawn. Latter, fortunately, was rather popular by herself, as she was one of Ash's companions during anime; due to this, many of had already known who she was when we had seen her in-game. Former, sadly, did not make anime appearance, so he was not as popular, but he did play a large role in manga.

When playing, which character did we wind up selecting--Dawn or Lucas? Why did we choose him or her? What did we name them? Also, what are our thoughts on their overall looks, and how did we feel when they had gotten an outfit-change in Platinum version?

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Dawn! Although i used Lucas as i am a boy if i was a girl id be dawn haah! Shes so fashionable and special and i like the scarf she wears too! When i did decide to pick dawn anyways i named her Lily idk why but i kinda though of a snow lily and i thought that was an appropriate name :)

I liked the outfit change in platinum in stressed how cold it was with scarves and more bundled up but she still looked fashionable and good in her scarf and overwear :)
    Spoiler:

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I chose Lucas cause I am a male, common thing haha but when I replayed it I chose dawn too as we know she is more famous than Lucas as being a part of anime.

Years
  • Dawn of course, because I always play as the female character due to me being female myself. She was also a fave of mine for a while, and while I do slightly like her D/P design a bit better, her Platinum design's not too bad, and fits in with Sinnoh being a cold region.

Grotesque

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2014
    Lucas, because I liked his design better on both games than Dawn's. And his Platinum sprite was brilliant.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Dawn. I chose her because I pretty much always choose the female characters. They have better designs in my opinion and are more fun to play as. I named her Shelby after the relationship I was in at the time. Didn't play Platinum though.

J2a1m1i2e

Moon Princess In Training
    Years
  • I originally used Lucas, due to me also being male, and would name him my name, because as a naive little child I thought that is what you had to do :P Now, I much prefer Dawn, due to her much nicer looking design (I HATE Lucas' hat!), but I'm saving on using her until I get Pearl and Platinum, for Diamond I'm going to keep using Lucas, and I still use my name because I just like using my name :P

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I always chose Dawn, because she's cute and has a gorgeous design, especially in Diamond and Pearl. I could never get myself to care about Lucas, because he always felt like a Red/Ash rip-off to me. The only thing he has over Red, is that he actually talks.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Dawn & Lucas are probably my favourite two protagonists of the series, so I'd find it difficult to choose between the two. If I had to pick one though it would probably be Dawn.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've always picked Lucas while playing through D/P/Pt. I guess it's just tradition for me to play male heroes? I do it with most video games even though I identify with the opposite gender. There's also something I find cooler about playing as Lucas over Dawn. His design's awesome and I've always used him so it'd feel weird to switch over. ;v;

I will say that I like Dawn's hat though! As for what I named my main character, I originally decided that I didn't want the default name so I just abbreviated it to Luke. Although nowadays its default > abbreviated. XD

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Usually, I choose Lucas, just because I was having tradition of playing as the one who represent my gender, and I named him Storm.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This is probably a weird way to do it, but I tend to pick Dawn in DP and Lucas in Platinum. I don't like Lucas' clothes in DP at all and Dawn's are cuter. I like them both in Platinum though, but I think Lucas looks a little more sharp in the winter clothes than Dawn does, so I usually go with him for Platinum. I haven't played Platinum all the way through many times though, I should say. I've only done it about three times and the second time, I kept it as a storage game for years, so yeah. And I was Dawn during that time, oddly enough. lol

Years
  • In Platinum, i've played as Dawn every single time, as her outfit there is perhaps my favorite of any default female PC. But in DP i've played as Lucas more than a few times, including my Pearl version which i've had for the longest time of any of my main series games.

Nakala Pri

I played as Dawn. 8D I mean, Lucas was a bit boring and he can look a bit bald sometimes. xD And his outfit wasn't very fashionable... but Dawn had a full head of hair, wonderful style and she wasn't too shabby in the legs department. =D

So Dawn, every time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i wanted to like lucas, but his design just didn't appeal to me, granted May's design didn't appeal to me either as much, but overall Lucas just looked like he was trying too hard.

Back