• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    @johnny: I don't see a map.

::.My Map.::

Map Rating/Review Thread

Just a map, nothing special. Don't tell me the road hurts your eyes....xD
    Wow i seem to like the map!
    I really looks good, but try not making maps square.
    8/10

Thanks Blazichu, I'll fix that palette. I thought it looked familiar but I guess I just couldn't pick it. Well I've got a couple more maps.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Map Rating/Review Thread
    Wow, i like your maps thethethethe,
    They're not square atall, and i see alot of creativity.
    8.5/10

They aren't from my hack but I might oinclude one of them.

@cooley's Map. The road hurts my eyes.(Just kidding) You need to palette edit the grass of the black road tiles. And an error above the door on the thing in the mddle. Also you need to palette edit the corners of the lake. And a little block editor problem on the tree below the lake.
    6 out of ten.

Well here's a map that IS in my hack. My version of Olivine.
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Nice i like the remake!
    8/10

This is a really old map I made back when I was a mapper. just thought I'd let you all take a gander at it.
    (yes, I used Zel's Tileset, only because its the best in my eyes so far, don't knock it b/c of the set)
    Spoiler:

Wow i love your maps!
    It shows alot of creativity!
    9/10

Years
    This is a really old map I made back when I was a mapper. just thought I'd let you all take a gander at it.
    (yes, I used Zel's Tileset, only because its the best in my eyes so far, don't knock it b/c of the set)
    Spoiler:

I am not really a fan of DP pre-maps (In fact, I'm kind of sick of them). For one, you really combined 2 maps. Also, it stays fairly true to the original, which is a bit of a problem. The grass in the route is way too uniform. You need too add spaces in between some grass tiles, and you also need to make the patches less square. Besides that, I also noticed some errors, too. Down by the shore, there are a couple of sand tiles. Also, the trees by the shore need to have sand under them. There is also a less noticible error involving the 2 story house. The roof tiles above the 2nd floor windows need to be fixed. These tiles have the top outline of the windows, and the tiles you used were for the door when you make a 1 story house.
    I will not knock the map for using Zel's tileset, but I will knock you for using it. It is always better to use something that you worked hard on, rather than a straight ROM base (Which means at least edit it a bit).

So, in my eyes, that map deserves a 6/10.

Anyway, now onto my map.

ROM: FireRed
    Map Name: Route I
    Comments: If you were wondering, yes, that is the Professor's lab.

Route I
    It is too big to post as an image.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
    Years
    thethethethe said:
    Well here's a map that IS in my hack. My version of Olivine.
    Spoiler:

I really don't like how the trees are fashioned, it's just, ugh.

The fence between the two houses next to the Pokemon Center looks too awkward, replace it with a long tree or something. I really don't like the overall fashion of the brick roads you used, this just look sloppy. I'd suggest you make the road start in the city and make the road leading out to it just grass so you won't have that ugly skinny strip sticking out of there. The rocks, bushes, and flowers on the southern part could be more uniform. And also NEVER use the default blue houses for entire cities/houses, they look VERY ugly! Try using the purple house from the sevii islands, it works well with ocean-related maps like Olivine. However, I do love how you make use of one of those route house tilesets to make the lighthouse. It looks very nice.

Overall your map could be more neater and planned out; not everything just mushed together in one pile.

4.5/10

Last edited:

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I am not really a fan of DP pre-maps (In fact, I'm kind of sick of them). For one, you really combined 2 maps. Also, it stays fairly true to the original, which is a bit of a problem. The grass in the route is way too uniform. You need too add spaces in between some grass tiles, and you also need to make the patches less square. Besides that, I also noticed some errors, too. Down by the shore, there are a couple of sand tiles. Also, the trees by the shore need to have sand under them. There is also a less noticible error involving the 2 story house. The roof tiles above the 2nd floor windows need to be fixed. These tiles have the top outline of the windows, and the tiles you used were for the door when you make a 1 story house.
    I will not knock the map for using Zel's tileset, but I will knock you for using it. It is always better to use something that you worked hard on, rather than a straight ROM base (Which means at least edit it a bit).

So, in my eyes, that map deserves a 6/10.

Anyway, now onto my map.

ROM: FireRed
    Map Name: Route I
    Comments: If you were wondering, yes, that is the Professor's lab.

Route I
    It is too big to post as an image.

Wow! I love your map!
    It must have took alot of time doing that, and i think its a masterpiece!
    I cant see any errors,
    And i like your creativity!
    9.5/10

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    nice, but you could just remove the tree in that little island. It really looks sad 'cause it's all alone... T_T

:D Eheheh, anyways, i like it better this time. 9/10 ;)

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Feel free to use my palette.
    Map in Pokemon: Rocket's Revenge.
    Yes, I know there are a few tile errors, I know them already, and have been fixed, this it outdated, please don't post about them.

♠εx

Working on my hack, busy also.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2008
    I like the map, the use of the palette gives it a nice feel.
    One question, do you continue onto another map from the right side?
    Down in the bottom right theres a space to walk through.

9/10

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
    nice, but you could just remove the tree in that little island. It really looks sad 'cause it's all alone... T_T

:D Eheheh, anyways, i like it better this time. 9/10 ;)
    I can only move it over by one tile. That tree and others, have special events that occur once you have earned the HM: Surf. Be warned it is coming soon.....

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    @*~*TwiLiTeDaRkRai*~*: This map looks alright, maybe not too many holes in the wall or create a massive hole where the water flows from and fix up some waterfalls as they don't appear right. My favourite part is the right hand side, so I'll give this a 6/10.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    @Poke-Roy: Your map is good and looks original, a little tiling error(one of the trees near the house with the two doors, to the left and a little bit down) and maybe fill up the space behind and below the Pokemon centre, then it should be really good! I'll give it an 8/10.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    Wow, so many maps I have left uncommented on such a short period of time. Don't expect big comments about them this time ;)

A remake map... Well, at least I see some effort on the tile edition, and some original touch at some of the buildings (yeah, I'm refering to the Tin and Burned Towers)
    I don't really think the rocky path fits Ecruteak.
    Well, as you know, its something already mapped so don't expect much on my rating.
    Rating->7/10

A pretty small map, so that doesn't allows us to see too much creativity there (I'd suggest to avoid posting such kind of small maps, usually from the starting town, they tend to be boring usually)
    Just a little touch, I wouldn't use the flower tiles so ordered
    That palette doesn't helps either...
    Rating->6/10

This one is a bit more interesting on the other hand, but, instead it has many aspects that you should improve. I'd use a bit more the lighter grass path, if it's supposed to be a town (maybe the ground path would work?)
    But, definitely, you need to improve the sea on the south of the map (add rocks there, they'll usually make the maps be more filled up with something), and the exit to the northeast (a bit too empty to my liking)
    Just fill up those areas a bit more and it'll be good enough, but as I said before, the palette really doesn't helps (it's unnatural)
    Rating->6/10

The map itself doesn't look that bad, but I'm not a fan of the bright palettes (however, this is more an opinion and wont affect the rating)
    You could fill up some areas that seem a bit empty with some flowers tiles. But, the main concern here, is the eastern border of the map. I dont remember how Viridian is originally on FR, but you should put some trees there, just leaving it empty takes some originality, and, since the map is supposed to be a redo, you could add some extra tiles that weren't on the original. Well, that's what I think...
    I also wonder about those grass tiles on the city, wild Pokemon there? Hmmm...
    I wont rate it that good, because in the end, and you said it already, it's just a mod to an existing map.
    Rating->7/10

Another starter town map, which means, small map and not that intersting. But, you are missing using one of the light green paths, at least to put something extra on the map.
    Additionally, if you could, you should use the other blue colored roof tile for one of the houses. Who says all of the houses should be of the same color?
    As I said before, small, I don't really like seeing the starter town's maps...
    Rating->6/10

I see it as a very linear map, but, if it is supposed to be a remake map, then, it's obvious that it won't show that much creativity from you. Unless you have done changes to how R203 originally looked (I don't know, haven't played DP for quite some time)
    On the other hand, there's nothing much to add, the map is fine, nothing too spectacular
    Rating->7/10

Hmmm... Well, this is different, this looks like a starter town map (which means small), but you have done some changes that made it look quite more interesting than the average (yeah, I'm talking about the use of some trees, and basically, a variety of tiles)
    The only thing I don't like is that... green... thing on the entrance to the town, I'd prefer using the posts, but maybe you thought it was more original (and it is, I personally don't like it, it's just that)
    A good example for other starter town maps!
    Rating->9/10

After seeing the previous map, the first one of this pair of maps doesn't look that cool as the other one. I think that I don't like the fact of not having a path on the town.
    I think this map turned out to be a bit too small, I think it should have been a bit bigger in relity (stuff is too compressed, that's my impression)
    Rating->7/10

Now, regarding the second map, it's another nice route. But, I'm gonna tell you that it doesn't have a good design in my opinion. Why? Because the player will only have to go from left to right, right to left, left to right, right to left, and that is really boring (if that was the effect you were looking for, then you'll be sucessful). I'd think a bit more about the design of how you want the player to walk around the map.
    Rating->8/10

...But it really does...
    Anyway, regarding the map, I'd personally have used a few more trees instead of that gray path on the southwest of the map (I really don't understand what that's supposed to be, but it doesn't look good)
    About the tile problem thethethethe mentioned (the one of the tree and the ledge with the water), I think that is something that you cannot solve with the Block Editor, so, I'd suggest you to move the tree one step down.
    Well, I need to stop seeing the map, my eyes are screaming... XD
    Rating->7/10

Well, something already existing, but you added some minor twists to it. At least, I must say that you must be working a lot on it because of the way the trees are placed. Won't you have problems with the borders?
    There's only one thing that I'll ask you for that map, and that is, the use of more rocks on the ocean (unless you are using rocks as the border, but that would make the map too square and boring), add a variety of rocks (randomly, if you want), and the map will be nice.
    Rating->8/10

Well, this is in fact a pure remake map (it's interesting to see my tiles generating a DP map, though), so no kind of effort on the generation of a map. Besides that, there are many tiles errors on the sand on the south, and I don't think it's good to have such ammount of grass. Maybe it would have been nice if you added an extra to the map and put the grass a bit more randomly (or at least leaving some open spaces on the grass)
    I think that if it had a bit more effort on adding some extra tiles, it could turn out as a better map.
    Rating->6/10

What can I really say, I know you are a great mapper, and showing your maps around here should be something everyone else should see as a way to motivate themselves.
    It's a very original map, with tiles variation on the exact measure. I may not like all of your tiles (or maybe the palette, a bit), but still on terms of mapping this is one of the best maps I've seen (only surpassed by that forest map you showed us before)
    Rating->10/10

Hmmm... Another remake map. I'll keep saying that you should improve the tileset if you are gonna keep doing remake maps, at least, that'll show some effort on the overall creation of the map. Else, it's just boring seeing the same tiles available with just a change of palettes.
    The good thing about it is that that strange roof made me laugh for a while :P
    Rating->6/10

Well, that's all I could quote without turning crazy... So, the rest for later!

Years
    Hmmm... Another remake map. I'll keep saying that you should improve the tileset if you are gonna keep doing remake maps, at least, that'll show some effort on the overall creation of the map. Else, it's just boring seeing the same tiles available with just a change of palettes.
    The good thing about it is that that strange roof made me laugh for a while :P
    Rating->6/10

Well, that's all I could quote without turning crazy... So, the rest for later!

Lolz thnx..what do you think of my last map?
    And the remake was a one timer..;)

♠εx

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2008
    Heres a map from my new hack, it's the starting town.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    diffrent

palletd for cliff are wierd

7/10

its a nice map the cliff pallet lets it down i think

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    OK, let's finish the rest of the maps now...

Ah, it's a modification of the other map, I see. Well, at least the new palettes make it more nice to the eyes (thought that light green path is always a headache to edit, I'd suggest you to try to find a game with a better path to rip. It's not one of my favorites, and I'm thinking on changing it for my game as well)
    I prefered that big mountain instead of the change you did on the top of the map, now it sounds a bit more like a "common map"
    Anyway, was it supposed to be a town? With just two houses? Hmmm... I'd put one or two more houses (closed, if you want), because two sounds a bit too few.
    I'll give you the same rating, though I liked the other map, with the fixes and the palette of the second.
    Rating->7/10

Even though I wont comment on the errors, since I have to judge what I see, they'll affect the rating
    To begin with, it's a wonderful palette to give the impression that its nighttime, this just adds to the originality of the map.
    Regarding the map itself, it's good to see two completely different parts on the same map, a small part with lots of green and trees, and a second, more mountainous part (specially, I liked the fact of seeing a few of your plans with the events images)
    With the errors fixed this map would be really good, considering them it's...
    Rating->8/10

It has interesting ideas, though I don't know why water comes from those closed doors.
    For the rest, I always like variation on tiles for the same map, and this one has them. The only thing is that maybe that path on the east part of the map is a bit too wide to my liking.
    Rating->8/10

Wow, now that was something different of what you've been showing!
    I really love that map, it must've taken quite a lot of time to make it. It has something weird on it (that strange house with that roof we'd be able to walk below), though I don't know if the map itself would classify as a town (more like a forest to me)
    By the way, just work on fixing the pallet for the bottom of the trees, the green there doesn't match with your palette for the green ground.
    Add some flowers or those patches of flowers you used on the weird house more on the southeast corner of the map, where the PC is located, it'll make it look better.
    It's really good, keep it up!
    Rating->9/10

This starting town sounds interesting (the idea of the mapping), however the mapping does not correspond to it. I like the sea and beach part, that one is nicely done, but the town itself needs a bit more of work. I would have used more of those pined trees instead of the unnecesary and lonely headbutt tree, and... just two flowers? Usually the starting town should have a few more than that.
    By the way, that thing sounds too weird to be a house. Hope you have something good planned for it, and it's not the town's Lab :P
    It just needs more work on the part of the town, the beach and that was good, that's why it gets...
    Rating->7/10

♠εx

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2008
    The little red house is a small sea cottage.
    I didn't want to overdo the town so I made it a little simple.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back