• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
    OK, let's finish the rest of the maps now...

Ah, it's a modification of the other map, I see. Well, at least the new palettes make it more nice to the eyes (thought that light green path is always a headache to edit, I'd suggest you to try to find a game with a better path to rip. It's not one of my favorites, and I'm thinking on changing it for my game as well)
    I prefered that big mountain instead of the change you did on the top of the map, now it sounds a bit more like a "common map"
    Anyway, was it supposed to be a town? With just two houses? Hmmm... I'd put one or two more houses (closed, if you want), because two sounds a bit too few.
    I'll give you the same rating, though I liked the other map, with the fixes and the palette of the second.
    Rating->7/10
    Thanks for Comments, I'll take your suggestions into consideration. And I'll Add a few closed houses too. ;)

Years
    Hmmm... Well, this is different, this looks like a starter town map (which means small), but you have done some changes that made it look quite more interesting than the average (yeah, I'm talking about the use of some trees, and basically, a variety of tiles)
    The only thing I don't like is that... green... thing on the entrance to the town, I'd prefer using the posts, but maybe you thought it was more original (and it is, I personally don't like it, it's just that)
    A good example for other starter town maps!
    Rating->9/10

After seeing the previous map, the first one of this pair of maps doesn't look that cool as the other one. I think that I don't like the fact of not having a path on the town.
    I think this map turned out to be a bit too small, I think it should have been a bit bigger in relity (stuff is too compressed, that's my impression)
    Rating->7/10

Now, regarding the second map, it's another nice route. But, I'm gonna tell you that it doesn't have a good design in my opinion. Why? Because the player will only have to go from left to right, right to left, left to right, right to left, and that is really boring (if that was the effect you were looking for, then you'll be sucessful). I'd think a bit more about the design of how you want the player to walk around the map.
    Rating->8/10

Well, something already existing, but you added some minor twists to it. At least, I must say that you must be working a lot on it because of the way the trees are placed. Won't you have problems with the borders?
    There's only one thing that I'll ask you for that map, and that is, the use of more rocks on the ocean (unless you are using rocks as the border, but that would make the map too square and boring), add a variety of rocks (randomly, if you want), and the map will be nice.
    Rating->8/10

Thanks for the comments Zel. Since you've posted on all of them I think I have reason to post about your comments and explain myself. Most of these maps I was just making to see how my mapping skills are rated against other people, so 3 out of the 4, I made purely for this thread.

The first one. At first I used the fence but then I had a little skinny green path. So I removed the path from that spot and it didn't look right to me. So I made it the green bush(or whatever you call it) and I liked the look of it so I kept it.

The second and third I was never happy with. I'd do something and then change it to something else. Everything just looked 'incorrect' to me, I'm going to 'fix' the second one. When I'm happy with it I may re-post it(not likely), because I'm thinking of using that as a route in LoD.

Well, I haven't gotten that far in LoD that I can see if the border will have problems. I guess I'll find out when I get that far. I should also explain the arrangement of the trees. I'm sick of seeing trees in line and perfect and straight, in reality, have you ever seen that in real life?. They're all over the place.
    Since posting that map I've made quite a few changes. I've taken Frostbites advice and changed the path a bit and changed the houses to the island, and some other little changes/fixes that have hopefully made it look a bit better.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Awwe mann!
    Ive missed alot of stuff,
    I havent been on PC lately, so Ill rate one map.

Heres a map from my new hack, it's the starting town.

Spoiler:

Wow i like the pals that are used and the seaside idea,
    I really like it, Its plain and simple and good.
    8/10

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    Name: Greenville town
    Map from: Fire red
    Comments: I messed up the grass in Block editor, I an fix it though.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    You should add some empty house i think
    because it feels too empty.

i would move the mart from where it is to another place

8/10

pals are very nice

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    10/10

Its one of the best ones ive ever seen.

It's a beautiful map

not too cramped or to empty its perfect.
    the pallets really complement this well made map

The water at the top gives it a nice look
    and i love the tree's at the bottom.

Years
    Why are you posting a map made by someone else. Anyway, I give it 9/10 only because the outside of the sandy path was left unpalette edited. It still shows the colour of the original grass. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    My New map, Made by Celebi_XD!
    Please Rate. I rate it 10/10.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

-cooley
    OOoo thanks alot cooley;)(You also edited it abit, double thanks;)
    You showed my map hehe
    It looks darn good, I thought it was worse than this,
    Maybe because I was up at night :D
    And thanks for the rating everyone :)

Name: Greenville town
    Map from: Fire red
    Comments: I messed up the grass in Block editor, I an fix it though.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I seem to like your map,
    I like the pals you have used, but i think it could be done
    better.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    name: (havent named it..:P)
    game: Fire Red..
    comments: please rate? and give suggestions =)
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Ive got to admit, its a really good map, well here are my things to say:
    Rating:8/10
    Reason:The map is fairly good, The tree's are set up nicely and
    The maps not a complete square. But I think that more
    things could be added
    Suggestions: I would have liked it if you did not make the sea
    that much empty, you could have put some rocks or
    some other things in it, And try to not always keep,
    the sea empty.

Adios!

Years
    What can I really say, I know you are a great mapper, and showing your maps around here should be something everyone else should see as a way to motivate themselves.
    It's a very original map, with tiles variation on the exact measure. I may not like all of your tiles (or maybe the palette, a bit), but still on terms of mapping this is one of the best maps I've seen (only surpassed by that forest map you showed us before)
    Rating->10/10

Wow, thanks zel. About the trees you don't like, if they are the palm trees, I am working on making new ones anyway. I hate them. And about the palettes, I am tring to find some better ones, too.

My New map, Made by Celebi_XD!
    Please Rate. I rate it 10/10.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

-cooley

The map is pretty good, but it has some flaws. The map is very cramped. Unless this is the first route, I suggest you expand it, making the paths wider. Since this is a route, It will probably have trainers, which there is very little room for. There is also another layout issue, which is that you can only go one way in the map. This is a serious problem, as if you need to back track, and you do not have a flying Pokemon with you, you are out of luck. It would be highly beneficial to remove the ledge right after the top bridge. Now, there are also a few aesthetic problems, too. One is that the grass is in square clumps. Try making it a little less "shapened" and add tiles of regular ground into the patch. Also, you used two different path tiles. I suggest that, since this is a smaller route, you use only one type. Now, even though this map has these errors, that doesn't mean it is not good. On the contrary, it is a great map. It just needs some tweaking to make it better for actual gameplay.

Rating: 8/10

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years

It gives me the impression of an edited version of Pewter. Stuff has been changed, but some parts of the map look empty and a bit boring (didn't you have any other extra tile to put around on the secondary tileset?), or, maybe put some more trees around town?
    It's respectable, but as I said before looks a bit like Pewter, even when stuff has been moved around...
    Rating->7/10

Some maps are very big and have few stuff, this is the complete opposite, the placement of mountain and rocks looks a bit odd. Still, regarding Don Patch's "can only go one way", I disagree, though I doubt the way to make it work was not planned on purpose: from north to south, there are no problems, just jump a few ledges and that's it. From south to north (and to the house) the only way I see is by surfing.
    I'll suggest that you review the map, it's not only about making the map look "nice", but it also needs to make sense (which is the harder part, since it requires you using the brain :knockedou)
    Rating->9/10

Well, a small map but it looks fine. I don't really like the small green bushes, but, meh...
    You could take the suggestion of adding rocks on the ocean, but I guess you'd only need them close to the border of the cliff (because I guess that's an ocean to the right, and since we wont surf over there, there's no real need for rocks (when we play on that map, we wouldn't be able to see them, anyway))
    It's a small map made with custom FR tiles (which tends to bore me), so I'm not rating it too high...
    Rating->7/10

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Hello and good day to everyone! ^^
    I would just like to ask you all to rate my map.
    This is the only map where I put almost all my attention for 3 days.

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    @destinedjaold: Hm the map looks quite intresting the pallettes look awesome 9/10.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    That map gets 7/10
    you need to make the path with the water over it flow more if ya get what i mean

Map Rating/Review Thread

map off ruby
    i cant be bothered to change the pallets yet.

ill repost when i change them

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2011
    Thats a good map! 8/10 You haven't got much wild grass in. Or is it supposed to be like that? Anyway good work!

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Map Rating/Review Thread

new map
    ruby again
    if i start a hack this is the place you would start

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back