• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
  • I've made a town this time! I couldn't decide until toward the end whether it should be a starter town, or just a regular one. I've decided that it's a starter town though (a big one but w/e lol) so the gym would be replaced with a lab. To do that, I would have to copy all the lab tiles over to a different tileset since I wasn't using that one, and that's just too boring lol. The grass is there to start the whole "don't go out into the grass or you'll be killed by a wild pokemon" speech.

Not actually a part of a hack or anything. I'm still just practicing. I'm not sure if I left too much space in the middlish grass area or not. Hopefully it's ok though.

Last edited:

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
  • Map Name: Reto Town

Map Game: Fire red BPRE

Comments: Seeing as I haven't made a map in a while, I decided that I needed a refresher.
    I was really just playing around with some different styles, along with trying to blend playablity and natrual.....itty.. (grammar fail)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
  • Map Name: Reto Town

Comments: Seeing as I haven't made a map in a while, I decided that I needed a refresher.
    I was really just playing around with some different styles, along with trying to blend playablity and natrual.....itty.. (grammar fail)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Very nice! I could not see any tile errors but the path was a tad wide at the point to the bottom left of the Pokemon centre.

Since my other two maps didn't get rated I'm posting more. (They're in the attachment.)
    From Left to right:
    1. Haunted Forest
    2. Boldur Shrine

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Edited once again.
    Map Name: Mountainash City
    Map Game: FireRed
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The ditch near the bottom of the mountain is a gym, yes, strange.
    i kinda like it...
    I rate it 6.5/10...
    i just donlike the houses..it like does not match the muntains..
    and about the gym,it is not strange as in my hack,they have the same concept as yours...

DarthWaffles

IS A FIRIN' HIS LAZAR
    Years
  • Edited once again.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

..Err, I like the Gym idea, but those houses look like they belong to an urban area more then a mountainous village.
    7/10

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    ok, after hours and hours of me not doing anything, i decided i was bored
    MAP TOWN
    Fire Red
    Done In Two Different Ways
    i was skipped (sorta) everything else is above

Edited once again.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

i sorta like it! it does look a little off, but the gym idea is nice!
    i don't really like the houses there- you could try to have grass on the mountain maybe?
    7/10

Last edited by a moderator:

atanil

O estel Calad tôl
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    I have changed paths palette to lighter colour. There are new mountain tiles too.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Uhh...its a litle square....
    Spoiler:

see what i mean?
    ....meil....and the same colours everywhere.

raitng: 4/10

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I have changed paths palette to lighter colour. There are new mountain tiles too.
    It's looking very nice overall. Although it's a bit plain, and having that many nearly identical houses doesn't look very good imo.
    8/10

Years
    • Seen today
    2 of my maps

The First map is my starter town

And my second map is my depiction of the pokemon leaguw(on a smaller scale)

Appreciate Ratings!
    Cheers
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
  • Edited once again.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Wow... this map is a train wreck >.<
    Mountain placement: These mountains are just.... Terrible, especially since the town is situated on top of them.
    Other then how unatural and completley maze like they are, they are extremley cramped, and would be hell to manuever, did you even stop to think about how the player would feel trying to get through this map?
    Also, it's a bit weird that the mountain just closes up. 3/10
    Houses: Again, the playablity is terrible.
    The houses are cramped up against the mountain, giving the player barley any room to move, let alone enjoy the game.
    The houses don't really fit in this map either, but that won't effect the rating. 4/10
    Beaches/Water:
    The beach isn't as bad as the other parts of this map, but still, they are pretty bad, there are some unconsistentley straight parts of it though.
    Also, how would the mountain just cut into the water totally, and then close up two tiles later? 5/10
    Playablity: Lets review, the mountains are cramped, the water is unneeded in some places *points to top right*, the houses are shoved into the sides of the mountains, making it incredibly frustrating to get through, and there are a lot of unneeded mountains/rocks making it even MORE cramped up! 2/10
    Total:
    18/40
    Now you may ask why I gave it 18 instead of 14, well that's because I can see the effort that you put into this.
    I hope you take these things into account, and keep mapping!
    ======================================================

I'm going to repost my map, since I got only one rating.
    Map Name: Reto Town

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    The First map is my starter town

And my second map is my depiction of the pokemon leaguw(on a smaller scale)

Appreciate Ratings!
    Cheers
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Alright lemme tackle these "puppies".

Map 1

Rating: 1/10
    Reason: This map in all realty is an edited Pallet Town in which looks like a glitch world, spotting tile error after tile error my head started to spin. it seems as if you forgot the fundamentals of mapping or have not taken the time to read a clearly written mapping tutorial from one of the masters on this forum (excluding Ray Maverick's tut), you should take some time to study maps by Haefele (he is one of my fav mappers), Neti, Disturbed, and MasterOfPuppets (for what i have seen this guy has a great future :D). I really have nothing more to say.​

Map 2

Rating: 2/10
    Reason: This map only showcases some random mountains in the sea with some NPC's on them. It shows absolutely no talent and still has tile and map errors, so read above statement.

PS, dont flame me for telling the truth.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I'm going to repost my map, since I got only one rating.
    Map Name: Reto Town

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Now THAT is some damn good path usage right thur. It gets a little straight near the exits but on the whole, it's one of the best I've ever seen. Let's see here: the mountains could use maybe one more layer, those special grass tiles are for hidden berries, not just for random placing, I don't like the way you've aligned the trees in columns, that southwestern patch is just a tad too empty, and I'm not very fond of those long columns of small trees either. Other than that though it looks pretty good. House placement is passable and the mountain shape is nice.
    Good map overall :) (Although some tree shadows would be nice ;))

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Here is about 10% of a huge map I am making.

Spoiler:
    Well since this isn't a finished map apparently, I'll just say that I hope that path on the left isn't finished. It's way too long and boring.

Edit: I just noticed the scroll bars on the picture... WWHOOOOAAAA that's big lol. But still, it would be a long walk with nothing special to see on that path around the lake.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    I was under the impression that this thread was for ROM Hacking maps only :\

I was under the impression that there was none other place to post it, and what would that differ in the quality of the map styles my man.

Updated map:

Spoiler:

I feel this portion of the map is good now :D

Rocks in middle of the path are because that area is where all the abandoned houses are. That is part of your school to the East of those houses and the lake which end up having a huge part in the storyline:O

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I was under the impression that there was none other place to post it, and what would that differ in the quality of the map styles my man.

Updated map:

Spoiler:

I feel this portion of the map is good now :D

Rocks in middle of the path are because that area is where all the abandoned houses are. That is part of your school to the East of those houses and the lake which end up having a huge part in the storyline:O

Do you consider this town or road?Probably both of them.

The trees are like a big mass...why dont you make a clearing?The mountain tiles are perfect,you know how to use them.But i dont like something in this map.Its a sight mistake i've seen in all your maps.
    I cant really explain.

rating: 6,89/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back