• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: Marathon in a Month - 2021

Years
  • Marathon in a Month (2021)
    Hi, everyone! Throughout the month of October, Off-Topic will host the Marathon in a Month event. This is completely voluntary, and you can choose to take it as seriously as you want. Do not feel obligated to post/participate every single day - it's just for fun. Also, do not feel like you have to run - walking/sprinting/jogging/etc. are totally cool.

Don't run/walk? HealthCode.org [see below] gives you the option to log various activities such as yoga, weight lifting, tennis, swimming, etc. and it converts the time spent to (approximate) miles. Here's a quick KM to Miles conversion tool.

What is marathon in a month?
    Per HealthCode.org, the Marathon in a Month™ is your October personal challenge to complete 26.2, 50, or 100 miles. Whether you're looking for a weight loss challenge, interested in group fitness with your friends, or just want to get in shape, we support you! Off to the virtual races!

How do I participate?
    There are several ways you can participate! Here are a few examples:

• Register [for free] on HealthCode.org:
    Spoiler:

• Use a fitness app - MapMyRun/RunKeeper/Strava/Google Fit, etc. You can just post a screenshot in the thread of your daily walk/run.
    • A Pedometer or Pedometer app! Here are the best pedometer apps for Android phones & iOS Devices.
    • Track the miles manually.

How do I stay motivated?
    For some (including myself), running/walking can be boring, or even tedious. We might wind up looking at our phone and inadvertently slowing ourselves down. Here are some tips:
    • Play Pokemon Go! You can utilize the Adventure Sync function to rack up some Buddy Candy, and even hatch some eggs~
      Try an audiobook! If have a library card, or can get one - I highly recommend doing so. Most libraries these days offer online services where you can virtually 'check out' audiobooks for free. You can also try Audible, or any other audiobook provider.
    • Try a podcast! Podcasts are typically free, and are available through iTunes [Podcast App], Spotify, and several other places.
    • Listen to Music! Music can help keep you motivated when you run/walk, too.
    • Post here! Any time you log a workout, try posting in this thread. It might help keep you accountable.

Will there actually be prizes this year?
    We'll be issuing out first, second, and third place badges () given out to the top 3 marathoners, as well as cute lil participation badges.

Participants & Progress (last updated never)
    • professor plum 64.43/150 Miles
    • Janp 0/30 Miles
    • Caite-chan 37.5/50 Miles
    • Mercury 35.79/140.6 Miles
    • Cubchoo 92.5/25 Miles
    • Aslan 0/26.2 Miles
    • Inky 0/50 Miles
    • Juno 9.19/100 Miles
    • Aquacorde 23.2/26.2 Miles

Last edited:
    Years
  • My phone has been counting steps weirdly for the past month. Like after a whole day of walking in my work, it only loads 50 steps in total. Hopefully, I can count my steps some other way.

Because of that, I'll only go with 30 miles this year.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm always game for this seeing as how I got yelled at by the doctor to get into shape more. I'll try for 50 miles this time.

Years
  • I'm going to record an actual marathon of 26.2 miles of running in October, but I'm also aiming to bike 112 miles and swim 2.4 miles, so..... can I set my goal for 140.6 miles?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I usually bike or do like a treadmill or elliptic almost every day (and top if off with a walk) but I'm not entirely sure how much that is in term of mileage ~ I usually keep track of time.

So let's go with a simple 25 miles and let's see how far we get from there.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'm down for this again. Uni has been really busy so I'll try keep the goal realistic with 26.2 miles and increase it if I need to. Going to do a few short hikes and maybe this will finally properly push me back into longer runs :D

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I absolutely flopped at this last year and hate cardio with every fibre of my being that said sign me up for 50

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I did my day 1 walk!! Went to the hardware store for some things. That's 2.93/26.2 miles and that's a pretty good start~

Years
  • My day 1 had me running 4.95 miles, now I am only 135.65 miles away from my goal!

Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Well, today is, in fact, October so I can finally start posting here!

Did a 0.9 mi run at the gym and a 4.8 mi walk afterwards, for a total of 5.7 today

5.7 / 25

(I guess I was way too conservative with the goal, seeing this is more or less my daily routine lol. I blame the imperial system.)

-----

EDIT: Day 2 was a Saturday so I went out and did a little bit less, still I got a total of 3.7 mi of walking today. Not great, but not too shabby.

9.4 / 25

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've been doing pretty good. Playing Pokémon Go and having my friend on me about going for walks throughout the day is helping.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I only have the daily total distance for the first two days, but I still wanted to post them and I figure I normally do about 1 mile of non-exercise walking on a typical day so I just subtracted 1 mi from the daily totals. But from Oct 3 onward I'll use the activity logger!

Oct 1: 4.01 mi
    Spoiler:

Oct 2: 2.09 mi
    Spoiler:

Oct 3: 3.09 mi
    Spoiler:

9.19 mi / 100 mi

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    OK so, yesterday I walked a total of 3.8 miles and today I walked 4.2 miles - although my knee is feeling a bit funny so I'll probably have to slow down a bit this week.

In total I have 17.4 / 25

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • didnt do anything for two days for this oops but back in it- walked some stuff to my mom's! was going to be lazy and take the bus halfway but i missed it. and then i managed to take wrong turns twice on a route that has literally three turns lmao so i put exactly 4 miles in :)

6.93/26.2!

Years
  • My day 1 had me running 4.95 miles, now I am only 135.65 miles away from my goal!

Spoiler:

Ran a quick 2.34 miles today, that makes me 7.29 miles in out of 140.6 miles.... I'm gonna have to start running or biking every morning now to catch up.
    Spoiler:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • im suspicious of the distance function on my fitbit because this time it said i went way further than i know i did?? it was accurate the last two times but this time is super off. so imma claim 2.47 which is the distance by maps rather than steps cause i know i did not walk a mile around a small goodwill

9.4/26.2!

still over a mile a day on average even if i be skippin days so at least im on track :')

Years
  • Ran a quick 2.34 miles today, that makes me 7.29 miles in out of 140.6 miles.... I'm gonna have to start running or biking every morning now to catch up.
    Spoiler:
    I exhaustedly ran 2.61 miles today (don't drink energy drinks, they are bad for you), making it 9.9 miles out of 140.6 miles that I've done so far. I'll be walking a *lot* tomorrow and will record that to hopefully make up for it.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back