• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

May vs Dawn

May vs Dawn

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Which character do you think was better?

Imo I think that Dawn was a better character. I feel that her character development was handled better than May's character development as it felt more realistic. I also feel that May got good at contests way too fast and I feel that she should have had an arc where she struggled a little more than she did.

I also felt that May's personality was a little too much like Ash's and she felt a little bland compared to Dawn's personality. I also felt that Dawn's personality was more entertaining as she seemed to almost always be energetic and confident.

What are your thoughts?

Its hard to decide!
    But since May is better looking and had more impressive development so I vote for May.
    Honestly , I think May's development was even better then Ash.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Honestly, I can't decide between the two. May was a talented coordinator and started out only getting a Pokemon for the travel aspect - which I can relate to as I myself played Pokemon for the exploration of it all. :P I liked how similar she was to Ash, and I also liked her relationships with her rivals. I grew up watching her on the show, so I kinda have this nostalgia towards her. Dawn, on the other hand, was more realistic as a coordinator trying to follow her dreams, I agree that May seemed to have improved really fast. She's really sweet as well. I found the fact that she dressed as a cheerleader to cheer Ash on really cute. :3 She's also significantly more girly than the previous protagonists, which was a nice change. In the end, I voted for May, because I was able to relate to her more, and that I liked her overall design and personality more than Dawn's. Char-development wise though, Dawn definitely wins by a landslide.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    When I watched "AG157 : Time Warp Heals All Wounds" , I felt May to be most amazing girl in the world.
    I never felt that way for Misty or Dawn .

Years
  • Dawn is definitely better than May. Both of them are cool characters, but I always felt like Dawn was the better character out of all the poke girls. Everything about Dawn's character is amazing! I feel like out of all the female protagonists in the show Dawn got a bigger role. I also feel like Dawn had the better relationship with Ash out of all the poke girls. In the episodes Dawn had to work really hard to get her success, and it taught the viewers to not give up on what yours dreams are! Dawn is the most natural and inspiring character!

Years
  • I like Dawn/Hikari more than May/Haruka
    May vs Dawn

Years
  • I'm in the same boat as Pinkie. Dawn had better character development plus I loved all the outfits she wore in the series, and I watched more of Diamond & Pearl compared to Advance Generation. So yeah, Dawn it is although I actually love both her and May.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    Dawn is my favorite character in the Pokemon anime. We can't hope for too much character depth and development from the Pokemon anime, but Dawn managed to show a little bit of both. She seemed to have a defined personality that continued to blossom throughout her time on the show. She is all around amiable and balanced without being too generic.Of course, I was a lot older watching DP than AG, so I could have been oblivious to any depth May had, but I definitely don't like her nearly as much as Dawn regardless.
    I also felt like we got to see more of Dawn than any of the female protagonists in the anime. There were more episodes focused on her than there were focused on May, Iris or Serena. I can't remember as far back to Misty though, to be honest.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • May! I didn't really get into the D/P anime. I love May and she has always remained my favorite character through the generations. I also like her design better than Dawn's.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Although, May is waaaay cuter :3

May is definitely the best Eye-candy of pokemon Anime! The series probably wouldn't need any other eye-candy as long as it has May.
    It make me think , What was Atsuhiro Tomioka thinking when he was officially pairing May with Drew ?
    May is probably the Best love-interest for Ash , he wouldn't need another girl if he has May.
    Drew is hot guy so he will get a swarm of cute girls even if he doesn't become Top coordinator! Someone special as May should go to Ash.
    Ya, Drew would have made a better choice if Pokemon was a shoujo anime with May as the protagonist. But the protagonist is Ash , not May.

PokemonBen

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't know why but I really love Dawn and she is my second favorite character of all the Anime. Behind Ash of course. Out of the Pokegirls, May is tied second with Serena.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I liked May more, but I think that Dawn is the better Pokemon Coordinator. When I watched the anime, it seemed like May was more of a tomboy and could relate to Ash more. She was more of an underdog than Dawn; she got better really fast. I feel that Dawn was more of a natural coordinator from the start because of her mom being a really good Pokemon coordinator as well. So I'll pick Dawn even though my favorite of all time is of course Misty!

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I like May more honestly because I grew up with her. But looking past nostalgia, I find it impossible to decide, since the two characters are similar development wise. (Not counting Coordinator skills.) I found that May and Dawn are all about self-discovery and becoming their own person in a world filled with 7 billion+ people

At the start of the anime, May disliked Pokemon and only cared that she got to travel. She was directionless for the most part, not knowing what she wanted to do with life. However, while traveling with Ash she found a place where she truly belong and a goal to strive for. (Plus she grew to love Pokemon.)

Dawn already set out on her journey with a goal in mind. However, as a character, she had to learn that she isn't her mother. Dawn learned that she, herself, is her own person, with strengths and weaknesses just like anyone else. Throughout her journey, Dawn broke out of her mother's shadow and became her own person (and a great coordinator in her own right.)

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I chose May because she's been my favorite female character from both the anime and game. Dawn is a good character as well but I didn't see enough of the season she was in to call her as my favorite.

Back