• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Mega evolutions, z-moves, and dynamax - will any of them make it?

Years
  • There's been speculation among the community on whether the 'faithful remakes' statement does or doesn't include additional mechanics like mega evolution, z-moves, and dynamax. Z-moves seem least likely to return since they were more heavily tied to Alolan lore and probably will be kept that way, while I've seen arguments thrown around that it's possible for megas and dynamax to be in BDSP. YouTuber PokeTips recently made a video on the possibility of megas returning in BDSP.

Dynamax, being the most recently-introduced mechanic, may have a chance to appear based on that alone. While it was stated that it was a phenomenon unique to Galar, it's easy enough for staff to backtrack or create a reason on why it's also in BDSP.

What do you think? Will any of these return?

pkmin3033

I sincerely hope not - all of them are rubbish gimmicks that never really added anything significant to the gameplay, and the exclusive club nature of it really irritates me as well. I realise most people consider Mega Evolution a cut above the other two but to me at least it's exactly the same, it was just the first time Game Freak decided to stop bothering to add any significant gameplay changes to games and instead decided to start swapping one-time things in and out. Doing it first doesn't get you a free pass in my books. Before anyone starts breathing down my neck, note that I say this as someone who isn't a competitive player. I don't honestly care what these things do for the meta or whatever.

I think it'd be very odd for Megas to return considering that's a Gen VI thing, though. Of the three they seem the most likely since they're not tied to a specific region the way the other two are, but...ehhh, I get the feeling if they were returning then they would have been shown off in the trailer. But I think and hope it's just wishful thinking on behalf of the fans the gimmick inexplicably has.

Ishrak's PokeTips

Ishrak's PokeTips
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    There's been speculation among the community on whether the 'faithful remakes' statement does or doesn't include additional mechanics like mega evolution, z-moves, and dynamax. Z-moves seem least likely to return since they were more heavily tied to Alolan lore and probably will be kept that way, while I've seen arguments thrown around that it's possible for megas and dynamax to be in BDSP. YouTuber PokeTips recently made a video on the possibility of megas returning in BDSP.

Dynamax, being the most recently-introduced mechanic, may have a chance to appear based on that alone. While it was stated that it was a phenomenon unique to Galar, it's easy enough for staff to backtrack or create a reason on why it's also in BDSP.

What do you think? Will any of these return?

I am agreed with megas on it. if they haven't planned already about that, then they have to. most of the people are not liking the chibi models. and if the developers wants to sell it, they must have to add mega there.
    I watched the video my my friend PokeTips and i have some info. if you watched the trailer from pokemon, they haven't showed alkia and dialga anywhere. maybe there is some new forms are waiting which will reveal eventually

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • That could be cool. Do you think it's possible it'd be Primal Reversion like Groudon/Kyogre?

Oh my goodness I hope so, especially since Primal Dialga already exists in the PMD games!! I'd love to see that and a new form or mega evo or something for Giratina!

As for mega evo in general,I feel like that has the best chance of coming back since a lot of us were upset that it wasn't in SWSH,plus iirc the stones are in the data somewhere of SWSH and just don't do anything.

Ishrak's PokeTips

Ishrak's PokeTips
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That could be cool. Do you think it's possible it'd be Primal Reversion like Groudon/Kyogre?

Yes in my opinion, cause they revealed primal dialga officially in mystery dungeon. and all main sinnoh legends are ancient pokemon. so i believe there is some connection there with legends arceus and the traditional sinnoh remake. also there could be same mechanic or phenomenon can be used in legend arceus like primal reversion or mega evolution. Accroding to tyranitartube, there is no hidden feature in the original Japanese logo what they do with all games. but there is only diamond and pearl which is seen. so maybe like there will be some stones which will work like giratina or shaymin's form changinh . it makes sense to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Not really expecting any of the 3 to make it into BDSP, but we'll see what happens.

Also regarding Primal Dialga: While it's called "Primal Dialga" in the English version of the game, it's "Dark Dialga" in the Japanese version. Likely no connection between Primal Dialga in Mystery Dungeon and Primal Reversion in ORAS. Doesn't necessarily mean that Palkia and Dialga won't get new forms in these games, but it doesn't have to be Primal Reversion. Especially since Game Freak often ditches certain new ideas the generation after. idk what you'd even do for new versions of those two anyway, they already wield god-like power as is and have a creator in Arceus.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Megas would be the most likely of the three, with Garchomp and Lucario already having Megas. Maybe some more Sinnoh mons could get their own Megas.

Z-Moves could potentially be a post-game thing where someone gives you a Z-Ring and every Z-Crystal after talking to them.

It seems a certainty that Dynamax will not be involved since there is presumably not going to be any sort of Wild Area in the remakes. I won't miss it personally.

pkmin3033

On the subject of Primal Reversion, if we're getting anything on this front I think Origin formes are more likely, as not only is there a precedent set with Giratina, but it fits the theme far more - they're deities of Space and Time, not elemental forces that have diminished over the years. Having them revert to a more chaotic state wouldn't make a whole lot of sense thematically, because they're representations of fixed concepts...primal Space and Time would be pre-Arceus, surely? But giving them formes that they could take inside their own pocket dimensions would make a certain sort of sense.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nothing has made me miss mega evolution more than not being able to use them in SwSh, so I really hope they come back for BDSP. I originally didn't like them in XY but ORAS really made me warm up to them.

But more than just having it return, I'd like to see some new mega forms. Trying not to be too hopeful about that, though.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I don't think we'll see any of those things and beyond maybe adding more to the dex, it's going to be a fairly faithful recreation.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    If it does happen, I could see the starters getting the mega evolution treatment just to fit in with the other six of them who actually have it. I think when it comes to the legendaries, we do have to keep in mind that Giratina's major involvement in the story didn't come until Platinum. Granted one can be hopeful that they'll include elements from Platinum, but if they're taking the ORAS route, I don't see it happening. I'm definitely hoping for some sort of alternative forme for them.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I do think it is possible mega evolution will be in this game, but there won't be any new ones, similar to LGPE. But probably only Mega Evolution, and nothing else. Z-Moves are tied to Alolan Culture, so those will always be exclusive to that region, and nothing else, I honestly don't know why there was a need to bring z-moves up at this point, tbh? :x As for Dynamax? I really don't think so. Dynamax is explained to only occur in Galar, right? So, I really don't think they will be in these games. Mega Evolution? Sure, small possibility. I hated Mega Evolution, and wouldn't care if they did return in these games, but we know from recent spinoffs that Pokemon isn't completely done with Mega Evolutions, so it's the only one of these three we can say isn't completely ruled out.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • I think Mega Evolution will return in BDSP... Probably with new MEs and then a PR-like for Dialga, Palkia, the 2 Giratinas and maybe Regigigas?

Z-moves and Partner Power can only return if there's a post-game story for Ultra Necrozma... Other than that, don't expect Z-moves since it's Alola-bound...

Same with the Galar-bound Dynamax/G-Max... I don't think it would be featured in BDSP... But it might appear on Legends...

I don't buy that "faithful remake" being faithful as is... Of course there would be changes to adjust with the recent changes like ORAS did... Particularly Platinum changes, regional variants, evolutions and mechanics beyond... But the story will likely remain as is, except post-games...

We might not get a National Pokédex though... I think the complete in-game dex for all Gen. 8 games would be available after Legends' release...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I do think it is possible mega evolution will be in this game, but there won't be any new ones, similar to LGPE. But probably only Mega Evolution, and nothing else. Z-Moves are tied to Alolan Culture, so those will always be exclusive to that region, and nothing else, I honestly don't know why there was a need to bring z-moves up at this point, tbh? :x As for Dynamax? I really don't think so. Dynamax is explained to only occur in Galar, right? So, I really don't think they will be in these games. Mega Evolution? Sure, small possibility. I hated Mega Evolution, and wouldn't care if they did return in these games, but we know from recent spinoffs that Pokemon isn't completely done with Mega Evolutions, so it's the only one of these three we can say isn't completely ruled out.
    Given what happened with mega evolution in ORAS, I don't think that we can count out Z-moves or Dynamax solely based on how they're tied to a region's culture or how it was supposed to occur only within a specific region.

Years
  • I think Mega evolutions have the highest chance to come back in BDSP. I hope Z-Moves and Dynamax do not return in BDSP. I just don't want them. Mega evolutions are enough imo.

Years
  • I like megas a lot and I hope they return with a focus of making shit Pokemon viable, like with Beedrill. I don't think fan favorites or Pokemon thriving in OU should be getting the preferential treatment here it should the the underwhelming Mons that could become favorites.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I'm hoping for megas to return, but only that. Anything else in addition to that will just make things complicated.

Back