• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Mental health club

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I don't fully understand your situation hoshiko but I appreciate that you feel comfortable enough to vent here with us. Expressing these fears and working through them will no doubt help you resolve these issues. Best to you and yours. <33

Also thank you, Janna. You're an angel. xoxo

Years
hello, everyone! glad there's a good club like this to vent where other people understand xx

I've been diagnosed with a few things over the years, including PTSD, major depressive disorder, GAD, & POTS. (Although POTS isn't strictly a mental disorder its pretty damning to my other mental health factors..) Almost two years ago I got my service dog, Midna, and she's been such a blessing to have in my life. Although I've been through hell and back, even though it's still hard right now, I'm hopeful for the future.

We've got this !!

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
hello, everyone! glad there's a good club like this to vent where other people understand xx

I've been diagnosed with a few things over the years, including PTSD, major depressive disorder, GAD, & POTS. (Although POTS isn't strictly a mental disorder its pretty damning to my other mental health factors..) Almost two years ago I got my service dog, Midna, and she's been such a blessing to have in my life. Although I've been through hell and back, even though it's still hard right now, I'm hopeful for the future.

We've got this !!

Dang. It must be terrifiying to live with these disorders, but I'm glad that you have a Service Dog to help you with it. How has she been doing?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Puppy pics please! :D

Also Midna is a wonderful name for a service dog. You sound like a very brave soul. <3

Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Welcome, and thanks for sharing!

I struggle with the same thing of being super afraid to start conversations, at some points I'm too afraid to talk to people I've been friends with since we were little. I'd type a text up, then delete it because I was afraid they'd think I was really weird and annoying.
I hope things get better for you! I used to be too afraid to start up conversations too.

Welp, probably time I signed up for this.

I suffer from severe anxiety (non-social), somatic symptom disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and addiction.
I agree with what Fairy replied to you with. Jo, you are one of the strongest people I know and one of the strongest people on Pokecommunity. You are so nice and friendly, despite all the stuff you've had to face. You are awesome and amazing, Jo.

i don't know if we are allowed to vent here but if i am not just delete this post

so lately..well not lately, but more so recently, my mom and sister have been pushing me to get a job and whatnot despite me being a full time college student and that taking a huge toll on my mental health. sure i only go two days this semester and i have a lot of free time on the weekends because i do not have a social life, but.. them sort of lowkey insulting me and feeling like they're not proud of me no matter what i do really takes a blow to my mental health.

i've told them many times that i cannot handle both a school and a job, and they almost always end up comparing me to my big sister who is going to be 25 this year because she could do many days of school and work, but i wish they would realize different people have different levels of what they are able to handle. i do help around the house and sure they might seem like small chores (taking the dog out, washing dishes, putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher, putting clean dishes up, etc etc) those are a lot to me since my depression sometimes gets so bad i do not want to get out of bed.

they want me to get a summer job, but i am not sure what i would do. i was thinking something under the table like dog walking or babysitting or something if possible. i do not think i could handle fast food (i get overwhelmed by too many things being thrown at me at once and i tend to break down and i often have to have things written down for me to remember it) and i am unsure of retail. but anyways. i just feel like nothing i do is good enough for them, and i just.. am at my limit. i want to save up money for when i move in with my boyfriend eventually, but i dont know if i am approved for disability yet.

i was thinking of getting some sort of job (depending on how much i get from disability if i am approved), after i finish community college so i can start saving up for moving to where my boyfriend is and getting an apartment of some sort with him. but..anyways, my point. i am just really tired of not feeling like anything i do is good enough for them. i don't know what to do. my sister often ridicules me (my little sister) because i do not act my age, but i can't help that i am emotionally stunted in some ways because of trauma and other things during my childhood.

sorry this is just a huge rant thats all over the place. if anyone takes the time to reply i appreciate it. please be considerate of my feelings when replying.
Hi! It's fine to vent here. I appreciate that you feel comfortable enough to vent here with all of us. Expressing and talking about those fears will help resolve the issues. I hope everything goes well for you.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Starlight

Pokémon Trainer Melanie
Years
I am so joining this club! I have a lot to say about this topic, and I also love to write (and I have written about it loads and continue to write about it), so my posts in this thread may end up being rather long. This is a topic I'm very interested in and passionate about, as weird as that might sound.
I've been diagnosed with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder, and I almost certainly (though I honestly do not know if I've been diagnosed with it yet; they won't tell me) have bipolar. I have depressive and manic episodes that severely effect my life, so yeah, there's that.

My anxiety is so bad that it was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia for years, because my OCD thoughts tend to resemble delusions (my current psychiatrist says that my OCD reached "psychotic levels"). It makes sense too, since in the past my anxiety took over my whole life and made me afraid to even have windows uncovered because I thought the people driving by my house were watching me and reporting what I did to the government. That was just one example of the types of things I used to worry about.
Thankfully, though I do still struggle a lot, I'm worlds away from where I was back in 2011-2013. I live with my parents, who are divorced (they live in separate places, but they're close by and they still work together at my dad's small business), and I'm a high school dropout (I tried to get help at school but they didn't take my anxiety and depression seriously enough near the end, which, among other things, led to me simply being unable to handle going to school anymore) and have never been able to work a real job (and still can't). I still have much less anxiety than I used to, thanks to therapy, medication, and other things.

I've been hospitalized in psych wards four separate times, once in 2009, once in 2012, twice in 2013. I haven't been to the hospital since, except for some ER visits that never resulted in me being admitted again. The last time I was hospitalized, which was in summer 2013, I almost got put into an assisted living facility. No one there seemed to have any faith that I could live outside of one, and it seemed that was going to be my future. I pushed back hard against that and won and was able to go home and stay out of the hospital ever since.

The therapist I have now is amazing and I've been seeing him since 2011. Seriously, he's the only therapist I want to see anymore, if I couldn't see him, I probably wouldn't see anyone. Almost all the other therapists I had before him were mostly awful. Seeing my therapist is literally the highlight of my week. I just wish he wasn't so busy so that I could see him more often (I see him once a week now). I often share my writing with him, which helps him to understand better what's going on with me and what's happened in my past.

Right now, the medications I'm on are an antipsychotic injection and an antidepressant that is also used for anxiety. They work well and have made a night and day difference in my levels of anxiety and depression. When I miss them, those old problems start to come back more, though I am better at handling them than I used to be.

My issues first started when I was around four years old, when I was beaten by my babysitter for crying when she left me alone in her car. I struggle with issues that arose from that, including self-harm in the past, because it instilled in me an idea that I did something wrong and needed to be punished.
This is just a very basic overview of some of the major things I've struggled with (seriously, there is so much more I can talk about!) and I hope to share more of my thoughts and experiences in this thread.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
I am so joining this club! I have a lot to say about this topic, and I also love to write (and I have written about it loads and continue to write about it), so my posts in this thread may end up being rather long. This is a topic I'm very interested in and passionate about, as weird as that might sound.
I've been diagnosed with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder, and I almost certainly (though I honestly do not know if I've been diagnosed with it yet; they won't tell me) have bipolar. I have depressive and manic episodes that severely effect my life, so yeah, there's that.

My anxiety is so bad that it was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia for years, because my OCD thoughts tend to resemble delusions (my current psychiatrist says that my OCD reached "psychotic levels"). It makes sense too, since in the past my anxiety took over my whole life and made me afraid to even have windows uncovered because I thought the people driving by my house were watching me and reporting what I did to the government. That was just one example of the types of things I used to worry about.
Thankfully, though I do still struggle a lot, I'm worlds away from where I was back in 2011-2013. I live with my parents, who are divorced (they live in separate places, but they're close by and they still work together at my dad's small business), and I'm a high school dropout (I tried to get help at school but they didn't take my anxiety and depression seriously enough near the end, which, among other things, led to me simply being unable to handle going to school anymore) and have never been able to work a real job (and still can't). I still have much less anxiety than I used to, thanks to therapy, medication, and other things.

I've been hospitalized in psych wards four separate times, once in 2009, once in 2012, twice in 2013. I haven't been to the hospital since, except for some ER visits that never resulted in me being admitted again. The last time I was hospitalized, which was in summer 2013, I almost got put into an assisted living facility. No one there seemed to have any faith that I could live outside of one, and it seemed that was going to be my future. I pushed back hard against that and won and was able to go home and stay out of the hospital ever since.

The therapist I have now is amazing and I've been seeing him since 2011. Seriously, he's the only therapist I want to see anymore, if I couldn't see him, I probably wouldn't see anyone. Almost all the other therapists I had before him were mostly awful. Seeing my therapist is literally the highlight of my week. I just wish he wasn't so busy so that I could see him more often (I see him once a week now). I often share my writing with him, which helps him to understand better what's going on with me and what's happened in my past.

Right now, the medications I'm on are an antipsychotic injection and an antidepressant that is also used for anxiety. They work well and have made a night and day difference in my levels of anxiety and depression. When I miss them, those old problems start to come back more, though I am better at handling them than I used to be.

My issues first started when I was around four years old, when I was beaten by my babysitter for crying when she left me alone in her car. I struggle with issues that arose from that, including self-harm in the past, because it instilled in me an idea that I did something wrong and needed to be punished.
This is just a very basic overview of some of the major things I've struggled with (seriously, there is so much more I can talk about!) and I hope to share more of my thoughts and experiences in this thread.

That must be terrible to go through before you had gotten the medications you needed. While I had only wanted to hurt myself once when my dad had a drinking problem, I still had some serious issues after that and thus, I had started therapy which helps. On a similar note, I am relatively self-conscious about trying to fit in while being myself, which explains why I didn't join my college's Christian club (along with the fact that I couldn't fit it in with my schedule). No offense to anybody religious here.

Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024

Hi, it's good to see you here. (Me and her are very good friends)
Great job, Rainbow, for so articulately explaining your illness and the effects it has had on you.
Your post is great advice and support for anyone suffering from psychosis.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
(I'm just going to bump this because I like sharing my accomplishments and downfalls with my anxiety)

I've actually been having a lot of really good days tbh. It's refreshing to not have to deal with it day in and day out. I've spent more time being in my room since I set my xbox one up for Netflix and Hulu as well. Being in my room feels nice because I love being in front of my high turbo fan and enjoying the cool air. :3 I feel really good atm, and I'm hoping these feelings will last for a while because not dealing with chronic anxiety is an amazing feeling for me. <3

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
7000th post, neat.

So, I just started going to therapy after relapsing about a month ago. My new therapist (who is a wonderful lady, by the way), says she has a theory that all of my previous diagnosis's are actually symptoms of a completely different disorder. She has not given me a new diagnosis yet, so nothing is confirmed or set in stone. She's just challenging me to learn more and think more critically about my mental well being: but in combination with the anxiety, PTSD, obsessive rituals, intrusive thoughts, and disorganized / near delusional thinking, she believes I may be on the schizoaffective spectrum.

I.. don't know how to feel about it. My first instinct is to reject it because, well, f u c k n o. I know my mind and I don't think that applies to me. At the same time, what else am I going to therapy for but to learn and get better? It's a scary word, "schizoaffective", and the label is sorta throwing me for a loop. But I have faith that whatever is going on in my brain will heal with time, work, and patience.

On top of everything else, my therapist is training a therapy dog right now, and he's a little Jack Russel puppy named Ringo. So that right there makes me incredibly happy. :)

@AdorbzFangirl, I'm very glad things are looking up for you!

Last edited:

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
Just discovered this place, and I would like to vent here a little. If I'm not allowed, I will delete it if need be though.
I have been diagnosed with Severe Social Anxiety and Minor Depression, although I hadn't been completely truthful about how I've been feeling to the doctor, as my mother was there and I was scared of what she would say if I spoke about it, so I'm not completely sure how true that is. I have also heard my family talking about me an autism, but I'm not exactly sure what they mean.

I would say things were fine until I was 6, I was in Prep, and it is that year when the bullying that would be a staple of my life began. My classmates where always avoiding me, running away whenever I came near. I didn't even understand why since I was never given a reason. I was always alone, just walking around the school. When other kids made fun of me, I couldn't even tell my teacher because she would think I was lying. I did eventually find a friend around a year later, and things started getting better. I had joined a soccer team that was going well, I had found people I got along with. Still had people making games out of avoiding me though.

When I was 10, we had to move away, which meant changing schools. I had just promised my friend that I would be back the next year as well, so you can imagine how annoyed I was. I couldn't even tell him since it was during the summer break when I found out. I was really upset, and I would find out later that when school came back, he asked the teacher where I was and he was told I wasn't going there anymore, to which he cried. I was still set on seeing him again, which is something I wanted to do for the next 6 years.

It was then that things started going downhill a lot. I was speaking less with people, focusing more on schoolwork, people were always saying rude things about me, I had balls thrown at me. They even made a new disease that anyone or anything that I touch is infected. So I regressed even more. Even when someone stood up for me and told the teachers, all the people who were in on it began blaming me, and said I was just using it to get things. The teachers believed them of course. My teachers were also looking down on me while I went to this school, singling me out even if other people are doing something wrong. I had a cast over my right wrist, so I couldn't write, and I was just told to figure it out. Then I find out that my principal, who was also the principal of my old school, has been telling all the teachers that I was some kind of trouble maker, leading to more targeting. I only lasted a year and a half before I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't go to school for 5 months? I think.

Then I was at a school that I would stay at for the rest of my time until college, I stood up for a younger kid while my classmate was bullying him, somehow turned into a fight. I ended up with a giant bruised face, and it was after that where my grades started going down, I couldn't understand anything the teachers were telling us. It was also during this time that I started being afraid of people, no matter who it was. Never really talked to anyone, and sat in an area away from everyone else. Teachers I liked were disappearing one after the other as well, so learning got even more difficult. Things stayed like that, with comments being made by classmates daily, for a while. I did find a new friend when I was 15, when we bonded over Pokemon, and anime, and he introduced me to a group of people who I still sort of get along with today, although they are probably only putting up with me because they feel bad. Then, I got involved with the scariest guy in the grade, he was big, around the size of the door, taller than most of the teachers, and I had heard things about him being extremely violent. I can't even remember what I did, he just started chasing me around the school, and a teacher eventually stopped it. He was told to go home, but I was leaving the office as he left the classroom with his things, and he came at me again. I couldn't get into a classroom and lock the door in time, when he grabbed me, and started choking me. I couldn't breath, and it took 3 teachers to get him off me. Other students were just there outside the classroom laughing though, which hit me a lot. The kid was expelled, as that wasn't his only assault, but other students would keep bringing it up, and acting like they didn't know what happened. I began pushing most people away after that. Then, towards the end of high-school, I see my friend that hadn't seen since I was 10. I was happy, and I began thinking that we could maybe catch up later. I spoke to him, and I realised that I was holding onto that old friendship for no reason. Of course no one would actually do that. It did sort of cut deep, and I felt like I had wasted all that time wanting to see them again. He seemed to have moved on a long time ago, and that he had just forgotten about me.

Now, we get to my first year of college, where my anxiety hit an all time high, It got to the point where I couldn't leave the house out of fear, that everyone was out there too target me. That every stranger is just watching me, judging me. I dropped out of college around a third of the year through, and the mental and physical thrashing didn't end there. My own family had always been a little tough to be around, always making fun of me as well. But once I dropped out, it went extreme. As soon as they would get home, they would start yelling at me for not doing anything with my life, and whenever they asked me to do something, and I declined, they would say things like "You literally do nothing all day, you never leave the house. The least you could do is (Whatever they would be telling me to do)". Even when I was finally diagnosed later that year, they all acted like I was faking it for attention, or over playing it. They were also always making fun of my body, so I'm also quite self conscious even now at 18. Sometimes I had thoughts of bad things, but I was too afraid to do anything. My grandmother is the one that suggested I see a Psychologist, which I was afraid of, because I didn't really want to be seen as crazy. My siblings don't even know I was seeing a psychologist, as they would probably continue on about me doing for attention.

My first time seeing the psychologist, I couldn't speak, or even look at her. At the time, my only source of comfort was my phone which I took with me everywhere, and I was moving it around in my hands and fidgeting. I went to see her 8 times last year, I think. I had also tried to go back to college, which a made it through the entire year somehow. I am doing a 13th year now, and while my anxiety has gone down a little, I still can't really talk to people, and I don't feel completely safe in public. I still have depressive episodes every so often as well, but things have been getting better. My family still hasn't though, but I have nowhere else to go so I just take it. But, I still feel like no matter what I do, I'll never be good enough, that everyone in my life sees me as a huge disappointment. My mother called me a burden a few weeks ago because I just said that my little sister could clean the dishes for once. I mean yeah, I see what she means. I am 18, and I Haven't even had a job yet, to her it's just me being lazy.

Sorry for this long post, and sorry for ranting, I just can't seem to ever get what I'm trying to say through. If this shouldn't be here then I will delete it.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
My crush on Korrina helps soothe my mentally ill responses to things :)

Like just yesterday she was a reason for me not to stim over an old word phobia again.

<3

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Oh really? Is it that soothing for you? It's sort of funny how characters can do that for a person. So you're doing better than before?

Yep :) Korrina really helps :D

Just looking at someone as pretty as her can be really calming for me. I just wanna run my fingers through her hair...ahhhh.....i bet its soooooo soft >////<;

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
I'm really glad to hear that. Personally, I use music to get my mind away from those types of things. Or I would think of what I was currently writing.

When I was younger though, I used to carry my Emerald game everywhere, even if I didn't have a DS at the time. Since my little child self thought of it as a friend.

May I ask what made you like her so much?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
So I've never been diagnosed (I went to a therapist when I was little but that's it) but I think I'm pretty sure I have some sort of OCD and Depression, at least. Just thought I'd pass by and join, been reading all the posts, I can relate to many of them. I hope you all are doing alright, and let's keep trying our best!!

Mhm for some coping mechanisms, I usually try to focus on reading positive stories and creating characters. Usually creating characters help me understand myself better and helps me take my mind off of depressive thoughts and to channel my creativity, they work as an outlet and I get pretty attached to them.

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
So I've never been diagnosed (I went to a therapist when I was little but that's it) but I think I'm pretty sure I have some sort of OCD and Depression, at least. Just thought I'd pass by and join, been reading all the posts, I can relate to many of them. I hope you all are doing alright, and let's keep trying our best!!

Mhm for some coping mechanisms, I usually try to focus on reading positive stories and creating characters. Usually creating characters help me understand myself better and helps me take my mind off of depressive thoughts and to channel my creativity, they work as an outlet and I get pretty attached to them.

Well, we welcome you here anyway. I've heard OCD is a huge pain to deal with, so you have my sympathy. So you create original characters? Have you written them into your own story as well?

So, yesterday I was late for class, and while waiting for the bus, I see it pull over. I get on, but am unsure if I was supposed to be on yet. I stood there stuttering, until I finally see someone else try to get on. After paying for my ticket, and me telling him my destination, he said "They allowed you into college? They must have lowered their standards then". It hurt, but I couldn't say anything.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Well, we welcome you here anyway. I've heard OCD is a huge pain to deal with, so you have my sympathy. So you create original characters? Have you written them into your own story as well?

So, yesterday I was late for class, and while waiting for the bus, I see it pull over. I get on, but am unsure if I was supposed to be on yet. I stood there stuttering, until I finally see someone else try to get on. After paying for my ticket, and me telling him my destination, he said "They allowed you into college? They must have lowered their standards then". It hurt, but I couldn't say anything.

Ugh, that's shitty. Usually when things like that happen I tend to just ignore it or think to myself 'guess you never made a mistake, huh? who. cares.' I tend to do... really stupid things without thinking of the consequences, but they're always pretty nimble like that so honestly when people lash out at me I'm just like "okay yeah a glass is broken so what?" I mean, I know I did a stupid thing alright? I don't need someone lashing out at me for that, and I accept what I've done, but criticising me and making me feel bad for such a stupid thing is kinda annoying. Even worse yet when they try to correlate that with whatever shit you've done before and be like 'you're always doing this doing that' which was all in the past and it's kinda harmful to bring it up. Anyways idk if it'll be helpful for you, and I haven't really explained myself much even though I've written a lot, but there it is.

Yeah, I create characters! I usually play them in roleplays or try and write stories about them. It's really fun and relaxing once you get in the mood. And it challenges you to think from other perspectives and look for stuff that you wouldn't do at all but that your characters would do. You also have to do a lot of research into personalities, quirks, body movements and whatsoever if you want to render your child faithfully. I try to give them all attention, though I have about 20 so it's pretty difficult! They serve as an outlet if you're going through a boring phase of your life and also helps me with writing and reading which I like a lot.

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
So I just found out that my best friend had moved states without my knowledge, :'D I had been waiting a while until I had done something at least notable before seeing him again. Since it was his birthday yesterday, I invited him out. I'm actually quite upset now, but also happy since he got into the university he wanted

Years
Aww Decibel! I wish he would've let you know. >.< But alas, this stuff happens, and I hope you've been feeling better about it!

Wednesday is my last day at my job. Finally had the courage to put my resignation in last month and boy did anxiety make it hard. I needed support from my co-worker/friend to actually get the courage to go in and discuss it. Must've been so red-faced haha. But it went well! Boss was happy that I seemed to know what I wanted for my future and wished me well. Fortunately I can use them as references in the future for new jobs if ever needed.

Sadly this means the goodbye party will likely be in one of these last few days.... gggraahhh more attention I don't want, lol, but gotta push through. @_@

Back