• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Mental health club

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I've been diagnosed with 1% Autism Spectrum since I was around 4. I suffer from OCD, avoidance in eye contact, repetitive pacing, intrusive thoughts, and maybe depression (a psychologist I visited a few years ago suspected that I have it). However, when I took that online Autism test shared by one of my Discord friends, it said that I wasn't Autistic, so I don't know if I've been living a lie this whole time.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
So I just found out that my best friend had moved states without my knowledge, :'D I had been waiting a while until I had done something at least notable before seeing him again. Since it was his birthday yesterday, I invited him out. I'm actually quite upset now, but also happy since he got into the university he wanted

Oh man he should have told you he was moving beforehand :( I hope you and your friend can still find time to contact each other even if he has moved states, and find another way to celebrate his birthday at least? But that sucks to be let down like that, I hope you're feeling somewhat better now. <3

Aww Decibel! I wish he would've let you know. >.< But alas, this stuff happens, and I hope you've been feeling better about it!

Wednesday is my last day at my job. Finally had the courage to put my resignation in last month and boy did anxiety make it hard. I needed support from my co-worker/friend to actually get the courage to go in and discuss it. Must've been so red-faced haha. But it went well! Boss was happy that I seemed to know what I wanted for my future and wished me well. Fortunately I can use them as references in the future for new jobs if ever needed.

Sadly this means the goodbye party will likely be in one of these last few days.... gggraahhh more attention I don't want, lol, but gotta push through. @_@

Aww I'm proud of you Janna :D It must have taken a lot of courage, so it's really commendable that you managed to push through the anxiety and quit. I'm really happy that it went well (and wish you luck for any future endeavours!). It must have been quite hard but at least it's over now, and behind you. And whilst a goodbye party can be stressful due to the attention, I do hope it goes smoothly for you and as anxiety-free as possible. Hopefully you can enjoy the food that is associated with goodbye parties at least, if nothing else!

I've been diagnosed with 1% Autism Spectrum since I was around 4. I suffer from OCD, avoidance in eye contact, repetitive pacing, intrusive thoughts, and maybe depression (a psychologist I visited a few years ago suspected that I have it). However, when I took that online Autism test shared by one of my Discord friends, it said that I wasn't Autistic, so I don't know if I've been living a lie this whole time.

It's not my place to give medical advice but I feel like if you were formally diagnosed as being autistic, then that might have more credibility than an online test which may be more of a self-diagnosis tool? I'm not completely sure on this. But if you're conflicted and want to know, I feel like it could be a good idea to have another professional evaluation just to confirm perhaps! I'm really sorry to hear about all you've been through though. Intrusive thoughts are by far the most difficult thing I've experienced in overcoming, and I'm still trying to find the best way to treat them. I hope you find a way / have found ways to manage everything you are going through!

In other news, I am finally re-seeing a therapist in the upcoming break which I am really thankful for because my anxiety + depression have been killing me, anxiety in particular. Have been on the constant verge of a breakdown for a while but tried my best to just cope with it myself (which was not a good idea now that I think about it) but here's hoping I can hold it together till then :D Slightly unrelated but also going to start seeing a facial physiotherapist for a jaw problem I've had for 5/6 years (which has caused a lot of unnecessary pain / other symptoms) so hopefully that too will improve my mental health. Am excited to finally be doing something about my mental health again rather than just coping with it and hoping for the best!!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's not my place to give medical advice but I feel like if you were formally diagnosed as being autistic, then that might have more credibility than an online test which may be more of a self-diagnosis tool? I'm not completely sure on this. But if you're conflicted and want to know, I feel like it could be a good idea to have another professional evaluation just to confirm perhaps!

This is the test I took to find out how Autistic I am. I scored about 10/50 from the result, which indicated that I'm not that Autistic.

I'm really sorry to hear about all you've been through though. Intrusive thoughts are by far the most difficult thing I've experienced in overcoming, and I'm still trying to find the best way to treat them. I hope you find a way / have found ways to manage everything you are going through!

I've been partaking in a local community catalyst, which helps me cope with my mental illnesses and learn to be more independent.

Years
Life is overall moving in a positive direction. I get by with money. My friends and family are good to me. I have a good boyfriend and healthy pets. I am in a creative period artistically. I have also some exciting events plans to look forward to. The trouble is I'm having flashbacks of an abusive ex sometimes. He can pop up in my mind when my life is at my most hopeful, he's like a little demon who just can't let me go. A dating counselor told me this is a normal reaction to trauma and part of our defense system i.e if you've been attacked by a bear while walking a trail, your mind will make you think about bears for your protection, even as you walk a peaceful outdoor trail.

I was in a relationship where I was hurt, bullied, humiliated, controlled and blackmailed. The shame of what he did to me and what I watched him to do others all comes back to me sometimes when I am alone, and it feels like a fresh wound that happened this year. I feel angry at myself that I did not stand up to him earlier. I wish I had never met him.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
Life is overall moving in a positive direction. I get by with money. My friends and family are good to me. I have a good boyfriend and healthy pets. I am in a creative period artistically. I have also some exciting events plans to look forward to. The trouble is I'm having flashbacks of an abusive ex sometimes. He can pop up in my mind when my life is at my most hopeful, he's like a little demon who just can't let me go. A dating counselor told me this is a normal reaction to trauma and part of our defense system i.e if you've been attacked by a bear while walking a trail, your mind will make you think about bears for your protection, even as you walk a peaceful outdoor trail.

I was in a relationship where I was hurt, bullied, humiliated, controlled and blackmailed. The shame of what he did to me and what I watched him to do others all comes back to me sometimes when I am alone, and it feels like a fresh wound that happened this year. I feel angry at myself that I did not stand up to him earlier. I wish I had never met him.
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and it's something a person should never have to experience.

I'm happy to hear your life is moving in a positive direction now.

The only mental health issues I have is anxiety and a lack of confidence (not the best attributes for a paralegal) but I'm much better than I was before. I used to attend group sessions on how to manage and deal with stress and it really helps to talk about it and knowing that you're not alone helps too. Mindfulness is a good technique if anyone hasn't yet tried it. I recommend the head space app.

Years
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and it's something a person should never have to experience.

I'm happy to hear your life is moving in a positive direction now.

The only mental health issues I have is anxiety and a lack of confidence (not the best attributes for a paralegal) but I'm much better than I was before. I used to attend group sessions on how to manage and deal with stress and it really helps to talk about it and knowing that you're not alone helps too. Mindfulness is a good technique if anyone hasn't yet tried it. I recommend the head space app.

Thank you for your kind words and advice. I'm going to download that head space app! Reading about Buddhism has also been helpful to me. This of course won't be the path for everyone, but the exercises have opened my eyes personally.

I have anxiety too. In the past I did group therapy too, so we have that in common. Right now I have switched to meds.

I just wanted to say that I think you are courageous to share what you are going through, and it sounds like from what you described you are proactive. I know that you are dealing with anxiety and feeling underconfident but you are still able to be paralegal, and not everyone would be able to manage the stress levels, so I admire you.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
It took a month and some extensive life changes but I finally got free from a highly abusive relationship and I'm slowly building myself up again thanks to some new meds, a great therapist, family support, and better coping skills.

I'm tentative to admit it but I think I might be doing better!

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
Thank you for your kind words and advice. I'm going to download that head space app! Reading about Buddhism has also been helpful to me. This of course won't be the path for everyone, but the exercises have opened my eyes personally.

I have anxiety too. In the past I did group therapy too, so we have that in common. Right now I have switched to meds.

I just wanted to say that I think you are courageous to share what you are going through, and it sounds like from what you described you are proactive. I know that you are dealing with anxiety and feeling underconfident but you are still able to be paralegal, and not everyone would be able to manage the stress levels, so I admire you.
Thank you. It's great that we're all sharing because talking about it really does help. :)

Let me know how the mindfulness works, it might take some time to get used to it, but if it doesn't reduce your anxiety, it should make you rather sleepy. My firm offers mindfulness sessions every month and I go as often as possible; but yeah, the app is good because you can practice it in your own home or somewhere where you can be comfortable. There are some good Youtube videos too!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh! Mindfulness is one of the techniques my therapist is helping me understand! It didn't work for me when I originally tried it at like.. 13 because I wasn't too keen on listening to authority lol.. But now that I'm well into my twenties it's much easier to remove myself from those intrusive thoughts and put myself in the "here and now" so to speak. What really helped me turn a corner was not to *think* about different things, but focus in on my five senses. Smell, touch, taste, etc. I've begun keeping small objects with me that help ground my sense of self when my anxiety being to take over. It's not a cure buy any means, but it can definitely help me keep things together long enough so I don't break down in public as much anymore. :)

Last edited:
Years
That is incredibly good advice. You guys and gals are so bright!

The supplement I usually take daily I've not felt like taking in three days now. It's nice knowing you're okay enough to not need these things constantly. =) Makes me really happy about my recent life changing decisions. Clearly they were good choices and stepping away from the stress will clear up my mind and make things a bit easier going forward.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I feel like I should join, aaaah.

I have ADHD, Anxiety, and Dysthymia - which is just the fancy term for depression that can kick in intrusively out of nowhere, more or less. It sucks as a combo because depression wants to keep you down and tired, but anxiety makes me feel like if I should be doing something every second, and if I stay idle for too long I feel even worse. That is actually why I'm not as active on PC - because that's a still desktop activity for me, and part of how I tend to combat said depression nowadays is by being more active. I can have a really good day, but then a feeling just kinda hits and I feel like shit. Most of the time, though, I can pick myself up out of it also sort of easily, but it keeps coming back so it's always been annoying.

If anyone in here suffers from anxiety too, I have started taking 500mg Lavender flower pills and in general my anxiety has been lower, especially at work - so focusing is easier!

It also is said to help mood, which I've only noticed a bit, but every little bit helps.

I hope everyone in here is fairing as well as they can. <3

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
, If anyone in here suffers from anxiety too, I have started taking 500mg Lavender flower pills and in general my anxiety has been lower, especially at work - so focusing is easier!

It also is said to help mood, which I've only noticed a bit, but every little bit helps.

I hope everyone in here is fairing as well as they can. <3

I'm totally going to try this!

Also, my therapist gave me some great advice when it comes to anxiety that's so far worked well for me. Actually verbally stating, out loud, 'this is anxiety' when anxious. It's weird and I don't know why but it actually is soothing.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I feel the most difficult part of anxiety for me is my inability to sleep. Every couple of hours I wake up restless. My medication was switched again so I hope it ends up helping with this issue, but I've resorted to catching sleep during the day time when I can.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
How has everyone in the club been doing lately? Any development / changes / improvements in your mental wellbeing?

Years
my depression is getting worse

but that's par for the course. not to be negative (it's not intentional) but it's something ive long since accepted

Years
Hi all not really a suffer of bad mental health I do have a bit of social anxiety and I usually have to psych myself up to go places especially as I got kids now and the youngest is most likely to play up and draw attention to me, but through life I have done things that have helped mostly focus around exercise as I was always into sports and the endorphins released help a lot, I started up at the gym when I was in my early teens and pumped some iron still do, that gave me confidence. I got into muay Thai and mma and you would be surprised how much that helps with confidence and you will make good friends as its a becomes tight group of people.

Take one of my daughters she suffers with really bad anxiety and while she did muay Thai she became a completely different person

My partner suffers with really bad mental heath issues many anxiety and depression and I try get her to go to the gym as much as she can and it helps her as she had been on mess for years and gave up with them as the didn't help her nor therapy, I think she got worst after therapy as it brought a lot up from her childhood that has scared her mentally

My youngest daughter is autistic and my son is now being tested for it, luckily they are not severely affected by it and should lead a normal life with a little help , we just have to do a lot of adapting and trying to avoid moments when they struggle

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi all not really a suffer of bad mental health I do have a bit of social anxiety and I usually have to psych myself up to go places especially as I got kids now and the youngest is most likely to play up and draw attention to me, but through life I have done things that have helped mostly focus around exercise as I was always into sports and the endorphins released help a lot, I started up at the gym when I was in my early teens and pumped some iron still do, that gave me confidence. I got into muay Thai and mma and you would be surprised how much that helps with confidence and you will make good friends as its a becomes tight group of people.

Take one of my daughters she suffers with really bad anxiety and while she did muay Thai she became a completely different person

My partner suffers with really bad mental heath issues many anxiety and depression and I try get her to go to the gym as much as she can and it helps her as she had been on mess for years and gave up with them as the didn't help her nor therapy, I think she got worst after therapy as it brought a lot up from her childhood that has scared her mentally

My youngest daughter is autistic and my son is now being tested for it, luckily they are not severely affected by it and should lead a normal life with a little help , we just have to do a lot of adapting and trying to avoid moments when they struggle

I feel this so much. When I was young I also started Karate, and kept doing it for a good 15 years. It didn't cure my anxiety (in fact, later in life it really just make it worse since my sensei was legitimately abusive and preferred hazing over teaching) but I learned lessons about what positive inner talk looks like and the benefits of endorphin release. It's kind of tough to be paralyzed with anxiety when you're literally dry heaving from physical exertion, ya know? I've personally been trying to redirect much of my anxious energy into working out and, while I'm not at a point where it's doing much, I do generally feel better about myself afterwards and that small self esteem boost feels nice.

My best to you and yours. I don't have kids but I wish yours well in their journey through Autism. <3

Years
I feel this so much. When I was young I also started Karate, and kept doing it for a good 15 years. It didn't cure my anxiety (in fact, later in life it really just make it worse since my sensei was legitimately abusive and preferred hazing over teaching) but I learned lessons about what positive inner talk looks like and the benefits of endorphin release. It's kind of tough to be paralyzed with anxiety when you're literally dry heaving from physical exertion, ya know? I've personally been trying to redirect much of my anxious energy into working out and, while I'm not at a point where it's doing much, I do generally feel better about myself afterwards and that small self esteem boost feels nice.

My best to you and yours. I don't have kids but I wish yours well in their journey through Autism. <3

Thanks

Shame your teacher was that way could of ended out being a complete difference experience if he was more willing to help rather be abusive, martial arts should be fun if your not in it for the competitive side, how can you be relaxed if your not in a friendly environment we are humans we make mistakes

I hope you stick with the working out if it's making you feel better, just got to remember every little helps, it may not feel like much now but it's better than nothing and hopefully will grow in time

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years

I'm autistic myself. I just wanted to say that sometimes struggling isn't a bad thing. It's a way of learning about them and knowing what will happen if the struggle comes up again. So, you should never fear those struggles. Think of it as a way to learn about their triggers. :3 I've learned a lot from my own struggles and what triggers my anxiety/autism. I have very bad anxiety tbh, and just about everything can be a trigger for me. I'm always working on ways to resist getting worked up over things and letting my anxiety get to me.

Anyway, I've been going back to my music space again. Not because of relapse reasons... but it just helps me in a lot of ways. Music saved me as well, so I can't imagine a life without it. ;w;

Years
I'm autistic myself. I just wanted to say that sometimes struggling isn't a bad thing. It's a way of learning about them and knowing what will happen if the struggle comes up again. So, you should never fear those struggles. Think of it as a way to learn about their triggers. :3 I've learned a lot from my own struggles and what triggers my anxiety/autism. I have very bad anxiety tbh, and just about everything can be a trigger for me. I'm always working on ways to resist getting worked up over things and letting my anxiety get to me.

Anyway, I've been going back to my music space again. Not because of relapse reasons... but it just helps me in a lot of ways. Music saved me as well, so I can't imagine a life without it. ;w;

When she's home we can manage her flapping and breaking down pretty well as she's gotten older, my son is a lot harder as he is still quite young and turns aggressive fast if something triggers him

How did you find school? as that is my biggest concern, my daughter is really bright but struggles quite a bit paying attention and understanding , we've been told she may not be able to go to a mainstream secondary school if she continues, but with a bit of help I think we can get her there

Also that's brill that you got music to help you,music is great and it helps so many people in so many different ways

Back