• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Mental health club

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Can agree that exercise helps a lot! Its been something small and helpful for anxiety / depression. I've been running regularly (am training for a running event later next year) and it's remarkable how good you feel afterwards. It's hard to push yourself to get out there and start but I've always noticed that it helps to clear my mind, going for a run. I would love to take up a team sport later when I have more time but its been really good mentally.

Also I wish the best of luck to you in terms of supporting your children, Raicheot! It's great to hear your daughter is really bright and though it may be a struggle, I hope you find ways to resolve any issues with her paying attention and understanding. I could not pay attention if my life depended on it when I was much younger (and still can't to an extent as I zone out a lot). Whilst its different circumstances, I did eventually find solutions to it (through a lot of trial and error) and I don't feel as limited by it anymore. I have full faith everything will work out and hope everything goes well. :)

Years
  • I wish I could run regularly. Unfortunately health issues mean I can't push myself more than a certain point so I can't do more than just jog for a period of time, but I think that should be enough. ._.

Years
  • Can agree that exercise helps a lot! Its been something small and helpful for anxiety / depression. I've been running regularly (am training for a running event later next year) and it's remarkable how good you feel afterwards. It's hard to push yourself to get out there and start but I've always noticed that it helps to clear my mind, going for a run. I would love to take up a team sport later when I have more time but its been really good mentally.

Also I wish the best of luck to you in terms of supporting your children, Raicheot! It's great to hear your daughter is really bright and though it may be a struggle, I hope you find ways to resolve any issues with her paying attention and understanding. I could not pay attention if my life depended on it when I was much younger (and still can't to an extent as I zone out a lot). Whilst its different circumstances, I did eventually find solutions to it (through a lot of trial and error) and I don't feel as limited by it anymore. I have full faith everything will work out and hope everything goes well. :)

Thanks

I agree getting out there and starting is the hardest part and I still have to motivate myself sometimes if I miss a few sessions.

Glad you found solutions and my pattern and I will to help them, like you said it will be trial and error but I think it will be OK :)

Years
  • Exercise is definitely so helpful. I really wish I could get back into it (used to go to a karate dojo three times a week and jogged for a brief period) but exhaustion from work took me away from it all, and now I don't seem to have the motivation to do it again. Probably because I'm naturally thin and seem to have high metabolism, so weight gain isn't a problem and so there's nothing to push me. Trying to at least do more stretches but gah...being demotivated is tough. I'll need to find a way to get that energy back, lol. Seems like you're a very strong person, Raicheot, and that's admirable. =)

Things have been good for me lately!! I went three whole weeks without taking anxiety supplements. Did take one yesterday since bf and I went out to his co-worker's goodbye party at a restaurant with 14 others, though I probably wouldn't really have even needed it. Those pills are just supplements and not addicting but I've never went more than two days without taking a pill for over a year. So I am sooo proud of myself. Lately I feel like I barely even need them, it's such a freeing feeling.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I swear, smoking was the worst thing I could have possibly done for my anxiety and overall health. The stress relief I felt from nicotine PALES in comparison to the panic I felt when I got heart palpitations, lost my breath easily, felt like I was drowning whenever I laid down, and passed out from lightheadedness. It's been, gosh... so many years since I quit and still my lungs just can't keep up with my body. It's hard to pace myself when I work out because none of my muscle groups have been engaged, but my chest is on fire. I wish I had never started that filthy habit. All it did was exacerbate my anxiety - especially since I obsess over things like my cardiovascular and endocrine systems. If you have any kind of anxiety, panic disorders, or anything that triggers somatic symptoms, I beg you to never smoke. Ever.

But! Good news is I've completely cut out coffee! (Anyone who knows me, you can go ahead and pick your jaw up off the floor lmao). I've been caffeine free for about four months now and not being so aware of my own heartbeat has put me in slighter ease. By no means did it cure or solve anything for me, but it's just one less thing my compulsions can obsess over. I've transferred to caffeine free teas and it's so soothing. Definitely recommended! After a good workout it's nice to have a cup of tea and relax - my anxiety levels are usually pretty low after that. :)

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • When she's home we can manage her flapping and breaking down pretty well as she's gotten older, my son is a lot harder as he is still quite young and turns aggressive fast if something triggers him

How did you find school? as that is my biggest concern, my daughter is really bright but struggles quite a bit paying attention and understanding , we've been told she may not be able to go to a mainstream secondary school if she continues, but with a bit of help I think we can get her there

Also that's brill that you got music to help you,music is great and it helps so many people in so many different ways

School in the 90s was a lot harder... but it was the 90s. I wasn't diagnosed until about 12, but I was diagnosed with ADHD in the second grade. It really depends on the school system and the kind of town you live in. I also grew up in a small town, and the school was pretty shitty about dealing with disabilities. I'm only on a more mild spectrum. That's good that you're trying though! I think every child deserves at least a chance in mainstream schooling in my opinion. I also wouldn't try to stop the flapping other stims... unless they are causing damage to herself or others. Stimming is our way of expressing ourselves and how we see the world. I do a lot of my stims at home around my parents.

FYI: Before anyone jumps on me for being an "autism expert". I'm not. I already know that. I'm just going by what I've heard from fellow autistics and my own experiences.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I don't think there's any doubt that the American school systems could be doing more for underprivileged, mentally/physically challenged, and troubled/problematic youth. Teachers are ill equipped, overworked, and underpaid for what they do, even if they have a class of the world's most well adjusted students on earth. Children with autism, ADHD, emotional or cognitive-behavioral issues, and the plethora of things that impact today's youth deserve to be given specialized treatment and attention by qualified staff. End of story.

I imagine we'd have much less maladjusted, depressed, and anxious adults were schooling systems more focused on the individualized needs rather than overall test scores. Anyone from NJ knows the ol' "no child left behind" policy that basically ruined education for any grade that was subject to it.

/rant over aha

Last edited:
    Years
  • School in the 90s was a lot harder... but it was the 90s. I wasn't diagnosed until about 12, but I was diagnosed with ADHD in the second grade. It really depends on the school system and the kind of town you live in. I also grew up in a small town, and the school was pretty shitty about dealing with disabilities. I'm only on a more mild spectrum. That's good that you're trying though! I think every child deserves at least a chance in mainstream schooling in my opinion. I also wouldn't try to stop the flapping other stims... unless they are causing damage to herself or others. Stimming is our way of expressing ourselves and how we see the world. I do a lot of my stims at home around my parents.

FYI: Before anyone jumps on me for being an "autism expert". I'm not. I already know that. I'm just going by what I've heard from fellow autistics and my own experiences.

The only time I have to stop her flap/stim is if she gets a cut even the smallest of cuts as she will pick at it and keep picking at it unless we stop her and cover it up, luckily both mine are mild cases of autism and both accessed young my daughter is just about to turn 7 and my son is 3 and they are starting the process with him, I think with a little help they should be OK with everyday living but its little things like no spatial awareness and no observation of what's around her like when we are near a road she won't be aware of cars and whats around her and just walk out, hopefully we can get her out of that by the time she needs to be independent.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • The only time I have to stop her flap/stim is if she gets a cut even the smallest of cuts as she will pick at it and keep picking at it unless we stop her and cover it up, luckily both mine are mild cases of autism and both accessed young my daughter is just about to turn 7 and my son is 3 and they are starting the process with him, I think with a little help they should be OK with everyday living but its little things like no spatial awareness and no observation of what's around her like when we are near a road she won't be aware of cars and whats around her and just walk out, hopefully we can get her out of that by the time she needs to be independent.

It's good to work with them as young as possible. I wasn't nearly as lucky because of a late diagnosis. It got better as I reached middle school, but that's because we moved to AZ... and the schools were somewhat better. I'm not very independent myself to be honest, but that's because every attempt I've had to learn either backfired on me or something. I was in a life skills class my second senior year... but that was nothing but a disaster. I can use a microwave, but I fear the hot stove some due to a slightly bad experience as a child. :x My hardest challenges mostly do with cooking and cleaning. ><

Years
  • It's good to work with them as young as possible. I wasn't nearly as lucky because of a late diagnosis. It got better as I reached middle school, but that's because we moved to AZ... and the schools were somewhat better. I'm not very independent myself to be honest, but that's because every attempt I've had to learn either backfired on me or something. I was in a life skills class my second senior year... but that was nothing but a disaster. I can use a microwave, but I fear the hot stove some due to a slightly bad experience as a child. :x My hardest challenges mostly do with cooking and cleaning. ><

I'm hoping that being young they willl get the support needed, as for independence that is a long way away but still a worry and prob always will be

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    RIP Etika. Mental health is so, so important and my endless love to his family, friends, and fans for the loss of this young man. This is exactly why these conversations need to happen, and why early intervention is life saving.

Years
  • My college is leaving me on my own as far as mental health stuff is concerned. The reasoning I got was "it's supposed to be short term", like I dunno... being overwhelmed with homework or something?? Apparently there isn't such thing as long-term depression to these people?

Ah well. .__. It sucks because now I'm gonna have more infrequent visits to my therapist due to now paying out of pocket instead of having it covered.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Universities are notoriously negligent of student mental health unless it could present a lawsuit for the college. You're honestly better off looking for cheaper professional help, or seeking out support groups. They can really help. :(

I.. got two emails from my abuser in the span of two days. It was just... sickeningly sweet, but laced with such malignant intent. Like poisoned honey. I had a pretty bad breakdown after the first once since he more or less gave me an ultimatum when it comes to him gate-keeping my grandmother and "if he should even tell me when she dies". Really didn't handle that well. The second email was how he somehow found out I'm selling my house and wants a cut of the buy to help support my grandmother. And I.. want to, I really do, but I know she'd never see a dime of it. It'll all go to his alcoholism. And this isn't chump change I'm walking into either! This is going to build my first home with my soon to be husband, to buy my first plot of land, and fund my wedding. I can't sacrifice that for anything.. and it's just so fucked up that he's basically saying "your dead mother would want you to give me this money".

So, yeah, moral of the day: don't look at emails from your abusers until you can do so in therapy or just avoid it all together. All it brings is shame, guilt, and grief.

Years
  • RIP Etika. I hadn't known until recently who he was, but reading the stories about his situation and his last message before he took his life was heartbreaking.

I've not had time to read any posts besides Fairy's above but omg, stay strong. You don't deserve any of that, and it sickens me that some people can behave in such a way.

User Anon 1848

It sucks that your college is neglecting your mental health like that colours. Seems like an all too common problem in America. Hopefully there are some alternatives for you. Just be weary of scams like BetterHelp. They're only interested in selling customer data and they intentionally hire people who aren't doctors so they can legally get away with disclosing your information for profit. A few prominent youtubers were paid boat loads of money to shill for them. It's pretty sick how they prey on those who are already in a vulnerable state of mind.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 23, 2024
    Welcome to all the new members who have been posting in this club, I hope you're all doing well. :)

Firstly, it's great to see this club win June's Club Of the Month award. Thank you to everyone has who helped win this club the award. You're all awesome. :)

Years
  • Yes, this is an excellent club. <3 My mental health has been pretty good still, though I do get tightness/knots in my chest area during stressful situations still. Suppose that's normal, but it seems like the only way for that to go away is for me to take a nap or wait for the boyfriend to come home. Gotta learn to manage it better myself.

Have any of you guys tried lavender for stress relief?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Since the Emotion thread is closed I will come here. I feel "troubled" if I had to describe my emotional state right now in one word. Today is Independence Day, fireworks are a tradition on this national holiday. This is very stressful to me right now though.

I am fine with a little firework show. I was even looking forward to viewing the display in my city tonight with some excitement. I spent some time watching the fireworks extravaganza outside a colosseum near my home tonight, and taking photos. While the official show is long since over, several citizens are lighting their own fireworks and firecrackers, playing loud music to celebrate, even shooting guns into the air in salute-- this is actually legal in some parts of the world unfortunately. I am having difficulty with all the random stuff people in town are doing. This started happening sporadically around 7:30 this evening. It is almost midnight and all of the jarring sounds are still going on, with no end in sight. I feel tense, I can't relax. Can't sleep through all this obviously, and can't concentrate on much from the distraction. I feel scared and depressed. I would cuddle my cat, but he's in the closet hiding from all the noise too.

Last edited:

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
    Years
  • Since the Emotion thread is closed I will come here. I feel "troubled" if I had to describe my emotional state right now in one word. Today is Independence Day fireworks are a tradition on this national holiday, and this is very stressful to me right now.

I am fine with a little firework show. I was even looking forward to viewing the display in my city tonight with some excitement. I spent some time watching thrnfireworks extravaganza outside a colosseum near my home tonight, and taking photos. While the official show is long since over, several citizens are lighting their own fireworks and firecrackers, playing loud music to celebrate even shooting guns into the air in salute-- this is actually legal in some parts of the world unfortunately. I am having difficulty with all the random stuff people in town are doing. This started happening sporadically around 7:30 this evening. It is almost midnight and all of the jarring sounds are still going on, with no end in sight. I feel tense, I can't relax. Can't sleep through all this obviously, and can't concentrate on much from the distraction. I feel scared and depressed. I would cuddle my cat, but he's in the closet hiding from all the noise too.

First of all, you are very welcome here. And second, I'm sorry about you having to put up with so much noise. I'm not American myself, I'm from Australia. But I know how loud people can be when celebrating their country. When celebrating, they pay everyone else absolutely no mind. The best thing I can offer as any advice is to use earphones or ear plugs.. I don't think you'll be able to sleep though that, and it will probably continue until roughly 3-4 am, when they all go to sleep. Although, after midnight, you may be able to call the police about a noise complaint, if you so wish

Years
  • Sam, I completely understand and would feel the same. I really don't deal well with loud and obnoxious noises like that, and it stresses me out. Hopefully you've settled and feel better now that the holiday is over and people calmed down. I'm sorry that happened. :<

Back