• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mental Health

Years
  • How's yours? Do you suffer from any mental illnesses? If so, what and how does it affect you? Let's discuss mental health in this thread and maybe find people who can sympathize with what we're going through!

I have a slew of things that I'm being treated for lol, though the one that impacts me the most is my anxiety. I'm almost always anxious, about anything really. Like if I annoyed someone or if I did something wrong. I'm always double checking things because of this.

What about you?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I have severe anxiety, but it's mostly due to my autism. I can't deal with stress very well, and a lot of things tend to make me worry way too much. However, it's been really good lately. I had depressive tendencies once before I started taking my abilify as well. It was caused mostly by my autism because I was overloaded by my emotions to the point where it caused severe bouts of depression. I self-harmed sometimes, and I was constantly finding it hard to do what I loved because of it. :/

So yeah.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I get occasional anxiety (most of which is social), and every now and then I get a little depressed, but overall, I think my mental health is pretty solid.

Years
  • More or less the same as Deracine. I get a lot of anxiety related to my autism and have moments where I wonder if I might have some sort of mild depression or something. Lately my anxiety and "sad moments" for want of a better term have been a lot worse than they used to be but I'm not about to kill myself or anything either.

So my mental health isn't great but it could be way worse.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • This a good idea for a thread, Hiso!

Let's see, I'm neuroatypical, so... autism, so anxiety issues, ADHD, if that even counts, Serratonin deficiency (probably the main reason for my depression), a mood disorder (I don't know the name, but my mood swings are pretty severe).

I also have alters, they're other people inside my head, and I can kind of feel them when they front. It can cause me to dissociate from time to time, but some days, I'm okay, and me most of the day.

Also, there aren't many days where I'm in a good mood, but when I am, it's a real payoff.

starseed galaxy auticorn

Years
  • Let's see, I'm neuroatypical, so... autism

If you have autism, you aren't an NT. O_o NT stands for those who DON'T have autism.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I also have periods of irritability where I have these sudden mood swings and such. Most of it is probably due to the combination of special needs. I do know that Autism and ADHD can cause a lot of it as well. I don't meet the standards for any general mood disorders because it's not really something I deal with all the time. Besides, I have enough on my plate to deal with when it comes to Autism, ADHD, Dyspraxia and whatever. >< Most of my emotional problems are, as I said, due to those three things combined.

Also, if I don't get any sleep... my anxiety can be really bad. Even just for one night, it will be bad for me once morning comes around. However, I wouldn't really count it as mental health per se but... it is anxiety after all.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I had anxiety for a long while- and I guess I still have it since it never goes away, but since seeing a psychologist as of about a year and a half ago, and doing a lot of homework, it's now a lot more manageable. I seeked out help after I came to the decision that I could not handle the stress and I was not adequately coping for a good year or so. I'd always had anxiety, but before reaching out, it was more manageable. My parents and partner have noticed a big difference, and I'm continuing to work on it. I did both CBT and psychodynamic therapies but mostly CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy.)

Now I'm seeking help for an undefined eating disorder. I'm at a normal weight (but I was underweight last year due to the anxiety) however, I have anorexic tendencies. I have gotten better, as I am now at a healthier weight, and I don't feel so overwhelmed when I am not in complete control of my food choices (like at a restaurant, for example.) But I still have some work to do when it comes to body dysmorphia.

Years
  • I had mood swings for a while myself, then I was diagnosed with a personality disorder! Though it has a very negative stigma so I don't really talk about. But it does explain a lot of what I went through in my younger years. I'm receiving behavioural therapy for it though.
    I'm also Autistic as well, but I didn't want to mention it unless others did lol.

Another thing is sleep, anyone else in this thread a bad sleeper? Our mental health really effects our sleep I hear!

starseed galaxy auticorn

Years
  • Neuroatypical. :| It means mentally ill. Sorry for the confusion.

Ohhhh. Sorry about that. :c I've never heard that term before. I honestly thought you just couldn't spell the full word for NT or something. So, again... sorry!

Another thing is sleep, anyone else in this thread a bad sleeper? Our mental health really effects our sleep I hear!

Only all of the time. However, since my mental health issues are autism-related, I also think it's the same for my sleep issues as well. People with autism can have a lot of sleep problems as well. I do take an extended release stimulant for ADHD too, and that can make it hard for me to sleep just the same.

(The following is going to be very long... just to warn you)

The thing about my anxiety is I don't always get the shortness of breath or the other common symptoms of anxiety. I just get the constant worry for things that don't need worrying. I could start worrying about my house catching on fire... yet the likelihood of this happening is quite slim My family practices safety when it comes to turning things off when they aren't being used and such. Well, at least things that are more likely to start a fire just so you know.

My mind is a battleground, and it's filled with many different mines. If one of those mines happens to be triggered, it will cause endless amounts of anxiety for no reason. That's another thing I forgot to mention before. Sometimes, my brain will start panicking over nothing. It just flat out panics over the sake of panicking. I often try to find different triggers that could have caused it to no avail. :c

I'm on three different medications for my anxiety. My stress levels are so bad that if I'm not careful, and my doctor has confirmed this since there's no allergens causing it, I can break out in hives as well. It hasn't happened often, and I find that most times... it can also be caused by changes in weather or some other unknown cause too. One of my medications is not only an antihistamine, but it helps with the anxiety that triggers those hives.

My second anxiety medication is the anti-psychotic I take for those depressive tendencies I mentioned in my first post. It gives me a little more control over my emotions and helps me stay more alert. My third one is called Klonopin, and it helps when my anxiety manages to get out of control for me. So, I take that as needed for those common anxiety outbursts.

I'm still trying to work on controlling my sleep right now. The hard part is my higher dose stimulant for my ADHD. A lot of my sleep problems due do tend to be anxiety-related. Mostly because it's hard for me to relax because my brain doesn't know how to shutdown when it's time for sleep. It's something I'm currently trying to get help with from my doctor.

Also, I have also seen a psychiatrist some months back as well. However, it got to the point where they were using video chats and such. This made it very hard to get the medications I needed, and it was also hard because I'm terrified of video chatting with people. So, I ended up having to leave the facility and getting my doctor to do my prescriptions instead.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • Here are my problems.

I'm emotional. I get offended when people ignore me or try to hurt my feelings. Who doesn't? My problem is that it offends me more than it should..

I'm very impatient. I'm always looking at the clock during class and hate waiting in long lines. Time is my worst enemy.

Years
  • Deracine: I have the same issue with my sleep, my mind takes forever to just shut down, I spend most of the time trying to reassure myself so I can calm down.
    My meds thankfully don't cause it, but I'm getting one changed to one that has a relaxant so I can sleep.

Berry: I understand completely! Being ignored really hurts me as well, I have a hard time forgiving people who've wronged me, but I'm trying to learn it on my own.

Years
  • Sometimes I have problems with sleeping and my mood swings a lot, especially when I'm under lots of stress. When I work constantly without any breaks for a long time, I tend to have mental breakdowns and I start to drink, mostly because of stress at work.

My mood changes with times of year as well, I tend to get depressed especially in autumn

Here are my problems.

I'm emotional. I get offended when people ignore me or try to hurt my feelings. Who doesn't? My problem is that it offends me more than it should..

I'm very impatient. I'm always looking at the clock during class and hate waiting in long lines. Time is my worst enemy.

This is more character related, it's just the way you are. I understand it perfectly, because I happened to have the same problems in the past.

Last edited:
    Years
  • been dealing with depression and social anxiety. it sucks even more because the only people that are available for me to talk to just say get over it and that doesn't help at all. and my social anxiety has gotten to a point where its even hard to post on any PC thread

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I'm not really afraid of talking about my problems anymore so I might as well post. I have severe major depressive disorder. Generalized anxiety has been ongoing since I was a kid. It was severe to the point of where I could barely go to school. I feel as if it's calmed down somewhat but I still have issues with going out in general because of anxiety and to add to that depression wears me out to death. I'm also pretty sure I deal with obsessive compulsive disorder and that seems to run in the family. I thought my obsessive compulsive behaviors were mild but sometimes it's awful. I mostly feel depressed often at night. Now you all know a little more about me I suppose.

Tolkin

Meowstic
    Years
  • I am currently suffering from several disorders (Anxiety, Depression, and narcissistic personality disorder). I am currently taking Anti-Depressants and other pills to treat them. I have suffered these conditions for almost 7 years. Most of my friends are aware of the situation, so I am open to talk about it.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I don't. It's called not giving a fuck.
    not giving a fuck is healthy and necessary -- to an extent. at a certain point it becomes sociopathic. (imo) and obviously I'm not trying to label you as a sociopath but maybe an interesting discussion point, or something. I'm also not expecting you to agree with me. but hey. more discussion.

Back