• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most epic battle theme to you?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • From RGBY to BWB2W2, what is the most epic battle theme music in the games in your mind?

For me it would be the D/P/Pt Frontier Brain theme, it just sent shivers up my spine the first time I heard it battling the Battle Castle Brain. Now what I do is I get out my AR and make the battle music for all battles that theme number. It somehow never gets old ¦3.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Great idea for a thread! As far as wild Pokémon battle themes go, that of Black and White is definitely my favourite. I love how upbeat it is — it really pushes me to go that extra mile. I also love how it has an in-game remix. Take notes, generation VI!

But what's my favourite battle theme overall? Hm. Well admittedly I'd be lying if I didn't say this question was extremely difficult for me to answer. So many amazing themes to choose from. Seriously, it's like choosing what kid you love more! I suppose if I had to choose one it would be the champion theme from FireRed and LeafGreen. As much as I love the other versions of this song, this one being so fast-paced was the defining component that won my decision over. Believe it or not, the soundtrack of FireRed and LeafGreen was probably one of my least favourites in the series, all the more reason why I love this the way I do.

Though there are countless honourable mentions, I feel that Primal Dialga's theme from Explorers of Darkness and Time was the most noteworthy. Nothing could have possibly been more fitting for the epic conclusion of the adventure those games host, and once you take into account the events prior to this battle and those that follow, you have one truly meaningful composition in a final boss fight.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • There are just too many epic battle themes! I'll do the ones for each generation:

Gen I: Champion Blue theme; battling him with this just makes me more fired up to beat him

Gen II: Champion Lance/Trainer Red theme; same reason as above

Gen III: Rival battle theme; it's just too catchy and epic at the same time

Gen IV: Gym Leader battle theme; no words can describe that

Gen V: Elite 4 battle theme; it's the fast pace that keeps me going.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2012
    Maxie's/Archie's theme from Gen III.

Though overall I think Gen IV had the best music.

Years
  • I love the gym leader theme for the Kanto leaders in HGSS. It's upbeat. But I'd also say the Red battle music of course.

Years
  • The best and most epic music for me is the Team Plasma Grunt battle music in Black & White. I love the fast pacing.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I remember really liking the Elite Four music in Hoenn, as well as the N/Ghestis music from Unova. I guess it's partially the pace, but it felt like the sound designers seemed to up their game for the final moments of every game, to be honest. It makes sense to go out on a high, to be honest.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    Seeing as I used to almost exclusively play handhelds without the sound on (I only really started paying attention to music during Gen IV), a lot of the newer songs stand out more for me. For example, I really like Gen V's Elite Four theme and Ghetsis' theme. The latter, in particular, just gave me a "welp, this guy means business" feeling when he swept me with his Hydreigon I first heard the song in-game.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Pokémon games have a lot of epic battle themes...
    And my favourite one is this one.

When I first heard this theme I was very surprised... I didn't even know I had to expect a special battle from the Battle Frontier. I noticed I was fighting against a boss only because of this awesome theme song.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Ugh...I can't pick one, so I'll have to divide the sections by game. My favorite track from each game, and my "second-favorite" track:

FireRed/LeafGreen Versions

#1 -- "Last Battle (VS Rival)"
    If the Oh Crap trope were to be rendered in musical form, this battle theme would serve as the Pokemon series' prime example. The minute you hear this theme, you're likely to go "WHATDOIDOWHATDOIDOWHATDOIDOWHATDOIDO" in your head. A fitting "final boss" theme for the first region of the Pokemon world, and I love the sense of chaoticness that it exudes.

#2 -- "Battle (VS Gym Leader)"
    I love how fast-paced this is, and I also like that FR/LG gave it to the Kanto Elite 4 members as well, whereas RBY assigned the normal Trainer Battle theme to the Kanto Elite 4. Usually, I think of Lorelei and icyness whenever I hear this battle theme. This is also the theme that got me into listening to the "sub-melodies" of videogame music - a bit hard to describe, but call up the Help System during a battle in FireRed/LeafGreen, and there will be pieces of the audio that you can hear better compared to if you were listening during battle without the Help System activated.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Versions
    Let me start out by saying that the RSE soundtrack is amazing; currently my favorite out of all the Pokemon game soundtracks. As a result, this was really hard to decide...

[S-HIGHLIGHT]#1 -- "Battle! Team Aqua/Magma (Grunt)"[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    When I first heard this masterpiece on YouTube, years after hearing it in-game in Sapphire Version, I nearly cried with nostalgia. Such an impressive track with how it builds up tension throughout its duration, and I'd go as far as saying that it trumps several pieces of non-videogame music. Most likely my most favorite battle theme ever from the Pokemon game series. It's also the piece that got me listening to the "videogame music" genre as a whole. Routinely, I temporarily start a new game file in Emerald without saving, spend several minutes playing, and reach the point where I can first battle a Team Aqua Grunt in Petalburg Woods just to hear this battle theme. :cer_boogie:

#2 -- "Battle! Elite Four"
    After making the arduous journey to EverGrande City, navigating through Hoenn's Victory Road, and finally reaching the headquarters of Hoenn's Pokemon League, you get to hear this wonderful piece of awesomeness. I love how the second it starts up, you realize that the ensuing battle won't be easy, as if the music itself were to state "Hey. Nice job on surpassing all those obstacles and getting here, but this isn't your typical, run-of-the-mill Trainer/Gym Leader battle. You're confronting the Elite 4 now. Can you prevail?" (And the lead-up to this theme complements it greatly). Probably tied with the RSE Trainer Battle theme for "Pokemon battle theme I've heard the most", due to how many times I painstakingly and tediously challenged the Elite 4 in order to train my Pokemon. XD

Honorable Mentions (because RSE deserves it - listed in no particular order):
    RSE Gym Leader Battle
    RSE Team Magma/Aqua Leader Battle
    RSE Champion Battle
    RSE Trainer Battle
    RSE Regi Battle
    RSE Weather Trio Battle (and the ominous anime remix)

HeartGold/SoulSilver Versions

#1 -- "Battle! Champion" (AKA Lance's Battle Theme/Red's Battle Theme @ Mt. Silver)
    To preface this remark, I haven't played HeartGold Version yet. This is the only battle theme I've heard from HGSS, and that's because it was spoiled for me...it came up in a video where I wasn't anticipating it. :x Nonetheless, this is a freaking amazing theme, and I love how it starts out, establishing a sense of seriousness. I think it would work great as an introductory music piece to many speeches/school projects, things of that nature. :cer_laugh:

Black/White Versions

#1 -- "Battle! Gym Leader" (Anime remix)
    I haven't heard any pieces of music from Black and White Versions yet, so this variant from the Best Wishes anime will have to do for now. If all the BW music sounds as awesome as that remix does, I can't wait to hear those tracks once I get the opportunity to play Black/White Versions. It sounds so triumphant right out of the gate!

Colosseum

#1 -- "Team Snagem Battle" (I'm not sure of its official name)
    One of the first tracks I ever heard from Colosseum...I like how it sounds atypical of the game music from the handheld Pokemon games, and yet still preserves a classic leisurely/triumphant feel. Weird that this is an antagonist battle theme. XD

#2 -- "Normal Battle" (I'm not sure of its official name)
    Also one of the first Colosseum tracks that I heard. I love how peaceful it gets between 0:38 and 0:57. Props to that "out-of-tune" guitar that actually manages to sound great!

Honorable Mentions (because Colosseum contains several remixes of RSE tracks - listed in no particular order):
    RSE Gym Leader Battle theme remix
    RSE Trainer Battle theme remix
    RSE Champion Battle theme remix

Super Smash Bros. series
    Although not actual games of the Pokemon main series, they do contain several awesome remixes of Pokemon battle themes.

#1 -- "Battle Theme" (Pokemon Gold/Silver battle theme medley; Smash Bros. Melee composition)
    Simply put, the best medley of multiple pieces of music. Ever. It practically screams "triumphant", and is the piece of music that I usually associate with the Pokemon Stadium stage of Super Smash Bros. Melee; it's also the only piece of music I select for the Pokemon Stadium stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The "Battle! Champion" (GSC) segment is probably the most memorable for me, as I remembered it when the HGSS version got spoiled for me. And 0:00 - 0:10 is as addicting as heck to listen to!

#1 -- "Battle! Dialga & Palkia" (Smash Bros. Brawl remix)
    EPIC PIANO. I find myself humming this a lot even when I'm not playing Brawl! It has a very mystical and "mythical" feel, and I love how it drives home the point of "THIS IS A LEGENDARY POKEMON! THIS IS AN IMPORTANT BATTLE!" without the music becoming grating. And 2:47 - 2:59 just wants to make me cry...it's hard to describe; "glimmer of optimism" is probably the closest I can get. Due to Spear Pillar's strong ties with Dialga and Palkia, this is the only music that I selected to be played on the Spear Pillar stage of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and honestly, not playing Dialga/Palkia's battle theme on a stage that prominently features them would just be a travesty).

#2 -- "Battle! Wild Pokemon (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)" (Smash Bros. Brawl remix)
    Kind of got this accidentally spoiled for me during the Subspace Emissary, but it's OK... Anyway, this is a very impressive battle theme; 1:12 - 1:28 is probably one of the most epic instrumentations I've ever heard in Pokemon music...unfortunately, the song's "ending" (the point where it loops) is like the biggest tease EVER in a Pokemon battle theme!

I remember really liking the Elite Four music in Hoenn, as well as the N/Ghestis music from Unova. I guess it's partially the pace, but it felt like the sound designers seemed to up their game for the final moments of every game, to be honest. It makes sense to go out on a high, to be honest.

This (while I haven't heard the "N/Ghetsis theme from Unova" yet, I agree with the sentiment about how the sound designers "go all out" for the 'final battle music' of most Pokemon games).

Seeing as I used to almost exclusively play handhelds without the sound on (I only really started paying attention to music during Gen IV), a lot of the newer songs stand out more for me. For example, I really like Gen V's Elite Four theme and Ghetsis' theme. The latter, in particular, just gave me a "welp, this guy means business" feeling when he swept me with his Hydreigon I first heard the song in-game.

Generation III was when I first started paying attention to Pokemon music, although it took a few years until the Team Magma/Aqua Grunt battle theme jumpstarted my interest and nostalgia. And your post really makes me anticipate hearing Ghetsis' battle theme. :)

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My favourite battle them of any Pokemon game is the champion theme in HGSS. It's amazing and it gives me chills every time I hear it. Every. Time. The way it starts out with no backing and slowly the other instruments come in? Aaaah, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. I've never felt so epic in a final battle in the series. :D

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'd have to say Ho-Oh's theme from HG/SS, Cynthia's theme in DPP/BW, and Gary's theme from FR/LG. Not in any particular order but I just cannot get enough of the fast pace those songs make those respective battles feel sometimes.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    My top two is the rival battle in R/S/E and the Dialga/Palkia battle in D/P. The latter is just, amusing kinda and the former is just nostalgic. <3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Kanto's trainer battle (the remixed one in HGSS), B/W's gym leader one (omg) and B/W's double battle grass. I really really love the double battle grass music, it's so exciting! OH AND TORNADUS/THUNDURUS' THEME. Okay basically every B/W battle theme. But most specifically those I mentioned. :3

blackmorale

風の行方
    Years
  • I love the Champion battles in HGSS and in Platinum. I lovelovelove the music and animation for both. <3 I also like the Giratina battle; how it enters from the top.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    Oh man... I love pretty much all the battle music ~_~

Gen I: Gym Leader battle (in all its forms!)
    Gen II: Rival battle
    Gen III: Elite Four battle
    Gen IV: Champion battle
    Gen V: Gym leader battle or Reshiram/Zekrom

Spinoffs I like Semifinal Battle from Colosseum and Primal Dialga's music from PMD.

I don't know if I have an overall favorite!

lovebear

Pokémon Professor in training
    Years
  • I thought Gen V's gym leader battle theme was really electrifying. If the Pokémon on both sides were evenly matched and it felt like a real battle (no OHKO lulz on my part) it was made even more so.

Back