• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
I'm thinking about using Gigalith...
On paper, it seems to be a pretty good user of Stealth Rock, Having 85 HP, 130 Defense & 80 Special Defense that gets a big boost from sandstorms, which it can set up with Sand Stream & it has a pretty good looking attack of 135.
But not having good recovery outside of Rest does hurt it quite a bit & I wonder if it defenses are good enough to where Sturdy isn't a requirement to get Stealth Rock up...
I don't know where to go to do damage calculation, otherwise I may already know whether to use Sand Stream or Sturdy.
If Sand Stream is acceptable, I feel I should have at least 1 other Pokémon that can also take advantage of sandstorms, like with Sand Veil or preferably Sand Rush.... Any suggestions for a partner?
Or should I use a different Pokémon that can use Entry hazards? (Looking for either Spikes, Stealth Rock or maybe Toxic Spikes.)
Please note that I don't have the Pokémon Bank yet.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm thinking about using Gigalith...
On paper, it seems to be a pretty good user of Stealth Rock, Having 85 HP, 130 Defense & 80 Special Defense that gets a big boost from sandstorms, which it can set up with Sand Stream & it has a pretty good looking attack of 135.
But not having good recovery outside of Rest does hurt it quite a bit & I wonder if it defenses are good enough to where Sturdy isn't a requirement to get Stealth Rock up...
I don't know where to go to do damage calculation, otherwise I may already know whether to use Sand Stream or Sturdy.
If Sand Stream is acceptable, I feel I should have at least 1 other Pokémon that can also take advantage of sandstorms, like with Sand Veil or preferably Sand Rush.... Any suggestions for a partner?
Or should I use a different Pokémon that can use Entry hazards? (Looking for either Spikes, Stealth Rock or maybe Toxic Spikes.)
Please note that I don't have the Pokémon Bank yet.

If you want to do damage calculations, go here: https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Tyranitar outclasses Gigalith in standard play, mainly because the former has a lot more options to play with.

If you want to have an offensive entry hazard setter, use Nihilego, as its high Speed ensures that it will get the hazard of choice up:
-Stealth Rock
-Power Gem
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Grass Knot
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash

Or you can try Necrozma for a bulkier approach:
-Stealth Rock
-Psychic
-Dark Pulse/Thunder Wave
-Moonlight/Morning Sun
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Also, Poke Bank isn't that hard to get and paying $5 yearly isn't that expensive.

Angelroid

Sun X
Years
Here are the movesets that I use for them; now, there many other ways to use those sorts of pokemon, but these are just what I personally use; maybe it can give you some ideas!

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Spirit Shackle
- Defog / Leaf Blade / Toxic

Special Defensive Natured in order to tank hits, root off damage, and remove things like Stealth Rock from the field with Defog.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

This is a CM sweeper who works sort of like a win condition, but can also spread paralysis.

Muk-Alolan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 92 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant/Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak/Brick Break/Fire Blast

This spread allows Alolan Muk to be a sponge of sorts, helping out against the Tapus, or other off threats.

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Usually this can serve as a lead; it's fast to utilize Stealth Rock, and Taunt to prevent opposing leads on using Stealth Rock too.

Golisopod @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Aqua Jet

Something to help against stuff like Scizor. Spikes is also there to rack up hazards.
Thanks for the ideas.

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
If you want to do damage calculations, go here: https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Tyranitar outclasses Gigalith in standard play, mainly because the former has a lot more options to play with.

If you want to have an offensive entry hazard setter, use Nihilego, as its high Speed ensures that it will get the hazard of choice up:
-Stealth Rock
-Power Gem
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Grass Knot
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash

Or you can try Necrozma for a bulkier approach:
-Stealth Rock
-Psychic
-Dark Pulse/Thunder Wave
-Moonlight/Morning Sun
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Also, Poke Bank isn't that hard to get and paying $5 yearly isn't that expensive.
I was hoping to not use ultra beasts or legendaries...
(Should have said something about that... Sorry...)
I am willing to try a less offensive entry hazard Pokémon, like maybe Skarmory or Toxapex...
Also was considering Golisopod...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I was hoping to not use ultra beasts or legendaries...
(Should have said something about that... Sorry...)
I am willing to try a less offensive entry hazard Pokémon, like maybe Skarmory or Toxapex...
Also was considering Golisopod...

Legendary/Ultra Beast status has no significance in competitive play. Necrozma may be a legendary, but while it's not bad, it's not good either, because while its Stored Power set is threatening under the right conditions, it's outright walled by Dark Pokemon; Stealth Rock setting is better done by others. Guzzlord is considered the worst out of the seven Ultra Beasts because of its extremely lopsided stats - its huge HP is vastly undermined by its atrocious defenses.

You need Poke Bank to have a Skarmory with Stealth Rock. However, Spikes Skarmory is a viable substitute:
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Whirlwind
-Roost
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy

Toxapex is best used in stall and balanced teams because of its low offensive presence. However, you have to be aware that Toxic Spikes can be removed more easily than the other entry hazards would, as in addition to Rapid Spin and Defog, grounded Poison Pokemon can remove Toxic Spikes by switching in:
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Haze
-Recover
EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef
Item: Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2020
Just hatched a 5IV shiny Torchic on Gen VI that I'll transfer onto Sun/Moon. Anyone know a good move set for Adament Blaziken?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just hatched a 5IV shiny Torchic on Gen VI that I'll transfer onto Sun/Moon. Anyone know a good move set for Adament Blaziken?

-Flare Blitz
-High Jump Kick/Low Kick
-Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
-Protect/Swords Dance
Nature: Adamant/Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost

Remember that Speed Boost is what makes Blaziken good in the first place. Don't bother with Blaze variants.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Is there anything one can do with a Quiet-natured Celesteela? Also, what moves besides Stealth Rock, Power Gem, and Sludge Wave/Bomb are worth using on Nihilego?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Snow Warning Vulpix. Im running Timid. I cant get the attack IV down down to 0 but is it important to have my def and sp.def IVs at 31 even though its soo frail.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Can someone give me a good build for Kommo-o?

While Kommo-o can pull off a Dragon Dancing set, it faces plenty of competition from Charizard X, Zygarde, Salamence, and Dragonite. Of course, you can use it for style points alone:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Sky Uppercut
-Poison Jab
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Poisonium Z

or
-Autotomize
-Clanging Scales
-Focus Blast
-Poison Jab
Nature: Rash
EVs: 28 Atk/252 SAtk/228 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Poisonium Z

Poisonium Z is an option on both sets to let Kommo-o break past things like Clefable or Tapu Fini.

Years
Contrary Serperior Set?

I just got a contrary 6iv serperior (timid) and I'm wondering what set I should use for it. It's level 40 and I've already reset its ev's. I can't teach it dragon pulse as that is a transfer move. Anybody have some sets without dragon pulse?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I just got a contrary 6iv serperior (timid) and I'm wondering what set I should use for it. It's level 40 and I've already reset its ev's. I can't teach it dragon pulse as that is a transfer move. Anybody have some sets without dragon pulse?
Besides the obligatory Leaf Storm, other moves that get used on it are stuff like Substitute+Leech Seed, Glare, Taunt, Giga Drain, Hidden Power (assuming your's has a decent HP type anyway). I think that Knock Off was usable too but that's transfer-only now.

Years
I've always used this set on mine

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire

Hidden Power Ground or Ice works too if yours isn't Fire, or you could always try Toxic or Taunt in the last slot too. Glare is another alternative option as well, but it's an egg move.

Angelroid

Sun X
Years
Decidueye
Lycanroc
Alolan Muk
Clefable
Golisopod
Chansey

I need move sets, 3 are OU mon's.

Last edited:

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
What are some of Mega Slowbro's more popular sets & if Passmian & Alolan Muk already received an ability via Receiver/Power of Alchemy then either used U-Turn or just switched out, will their original abilities reset?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What are some of Mega Slowbro's more popular sets & if Passmian & Alolan Muk already received an ability via Receiver/Power of Alchemy then either used U-Turn or just switched out, will their original abilities reset?

Slowbro is one of those Pokemon that can delay its Mega Evolution to take advantage of its base form's ability:
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Psyshock/Iron Defense
-Slack Off
EVs: 248 HP/80 Def/180 SDef
Item: Slowbronite

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
Slowbro is one of those Pokemon that can delay its Mega Evolution to take advantage of its base form's ability:
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Psyshock/Iron Defense
-Slack Off
EVs: 248 HP/80 Def/180 SDef
Item: Slowbronite
Thanks, that is very helpful!
But now I have a different question:
A Pokémon with a base speed of 145 (like Mega Sceptile) will have a speed stat of 427 with a speed positive nature with max speed IVs & EVs at Lvl.100.
But if it comes out while Sticky Web is active, it's speed will drop one stage.
My understanding is that a one stage drop is listed as 2/3, which is equal to x0.66 & 427 x 0.66 is 281.82 & since the Pokémon games drops the numbers after the decimal, it becomes 281.
& Then a Pokémon with a base speed stat of 80 (like Kabutops) will have the speed stat of 284 at Lvl.100 with a speed positive with max speed IVs & EVs.
So if my calculations are correct, Kabutops can outspeed Mega Sceptile with Sticky Web's help.
I'm not sure if I've done this correctly, so if someone could verify this, that'd be greatly appreciated.
(P.S.
I don't plan to do this exact match up, just giving some examples...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back