• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: New Alola forms

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Alolan Girafarig! Alolan Stantler! Alolan Gen 2 Pok?mon in general omgomgomg
    Fairy type Celebi, too! (And finally a Shiny one, maybe?)
    Came to say this. Pls let them give some less well known Johto pok?mon attention with new Alola forms :D would be great now that Gen 2 is coming out in the e-shop.

Dunsparce, Octillery, Smeargle with new typing and different "moveset", Sneasel because it's frickin cool, Mantine, Granbull and Delibird are some they could surely give some new cool styles. Or why not an Alolan Lanturn as a pok?mon to surf on?

Eresse

Gladion Trash
    Years
  • Came to say this. Pls let them give some less well known Johto pok?mon attention with new Alola forms :D would be great now that Gen 2 is coming out in the e-shop.

Dunsparce, Octillery, Smeargle with new typing and different "moveset", Sneasel because it's frickin cool, Mantine, Granbull and Delibird are some they could surely give some new cool styles. Or why not an Alolan Lanturn as a pok?mon to surf on?
    I never realized how much I wanted an Alolan Delibird until now.

I'd love to see Alolan forms spread out across the remaining generations instead of only focusing on one. I wouldn't be surprised if we only got Generation I forms in SuMo because anything Kanto sells like hotcakes (thanks nostalgia!).

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Another cool Alola form would be Butterfree, as has been discussed in Battling and Teambuilding, with a bug/dark typing. Butterfree is one pokemon that truly deserves something/anything to help it regain relevance in-game and competitively
    if butterfree should have anything, it should have a mega as its buzzing counterpart beedrill has one

Years
    • Seen today
    Guess what I read on Smogon.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's "alternate storyline" actually means "justice for Arcanine and Starmie's lack of Alolan formes"

But honestly, I wish for Alolan forms for Pokemon not from Kanto.

Years
  • Another cool Alola form would be Butterfree, as has been discussed in Battling and Teambuilding, with a bug/dark typing. Butterfree is one pokemon that truly deserves something/anything to help it regain relevance in-game and competitively

Bug/Dark is a type combination we haven't had yet, so I do hope we get it with a new Alola Form. If not, guess 8th Gen will have to do it which will make me sad because it's such a good idea for a type combination.

I'd love to see Alolan forms spread out across the remaining generations instead of only focusing on one. I wouldn't be surprised if we only got Generation I forms in SuMo because anything Kanto sells like hotcakes (thanks nostalgia!).

I hate how Game Freak wants to cash in on Kanto nostalgia, which explained why only 1st Gen Pokemon got Alola Forms, on top of many Kanto shoutouts in S/M. I hope Game Freak give more generations some love, like how the Megas consist of Pokemon from different generations.

Relying on nostalgia to sell things is not the best approach if you ask me.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Relying on nostalgia to sell things is not the best approach if you ask me.

Yep, considering that a lot of fans now have been born post-RBY era. Kids that started during the dppt era are also teens now. Why not market them too? If I remember correctly, most kids who had been with Pokemon since RBY could very well be in their late-20s already.

Years
  • Yep, considering that a lot of fans now have been born post-RBY era. Kids that started during the dppt era are also teens now. Why not market them too? If I remember correctly, most kids who had been with Pokemon since RBY could very well be in their late-20s already.

Red & Green were first released in Japan in 1996, and I was 3 years old at the time (1992 baby right here) while I guess most players in Japan who played those games for the first time were around 6-7 years old. The US release of Red & Blue came in September 1998, a couple of days before I had my 6th birthday (my region didn't get it until November) which was around the average age of people starting playing Pokemon at the time, as far as I speculate.

2006, the year Diamond & Pearl was released, most of the people who started playing around that time are pretty much in their teens now. As for 1st Gen, most people who were 6-7 when R/B/Y were released would probably almost be in their 30's by now. 3rd Gen in Japan started when I was about to turn 10, and I finally started playing my first technically-owned Pokemon game the following year.

It's still sad that Pokemon is not trying to market for older generations. If they really want to cash in on nostalgia, they should market some stuff towards the older demographic who started playing in 1st Gen.

pkmin3033

Given that all of the Alolan form Pokemon in S/M were 1st Gen Pokemon, and the Pokedex was stacked ridiculously in Gen I's favour, I'd say they've done enough pandering to that generation of fans at this point...

If the Gen V comparisons hold any water, I'd expect to see a lot of Gen V Alolan forms this time around...for some reason I really want to see a Gothitelle in a white/pink dress. A third Meloetta forme would be lovely but I doubt that'll ever happen. I think we can rule out any of the Pokemon that appeared in the Alola Dex in SM, but that still leaves around 500 Pokemon unaccounted for.

I think some Alolan form fossils would be amazing. Perhaps an Alolan Archen/Archeops with different coloured plumage and a more aggressive temperament (because Defeatist was a terrible ability) or something?

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
  • I'm all for Gen ii Alolan forms for the reasons already spoken in this thread. Dunsparce maybe? Or Sudowoodo? Porygon2? Mareep line? I highly doubt they'll do Alolan legends/mythicals, as it's thought that there's only one of most legends in the universe. And making Alolan forms of the cover legends would be very strange, because they're natives per say.
    More gen I Alolan forms would be redundant.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Red & Green were first released in Japan in 1996, and I was 3 years old at the time (1992 baby right here) while I guess most players in Japan who played those games for the first time were around 6-7 years old. The US release of Red & Blue came in September 1998, a couple of days before I had my 6th birthday (my region didn't get it until November) which was around the average age of people starting playing Pokemon at the time, as far as I speculate.

2006, the year Diamond & Pearl was released, most of the people who started playing around that time are pretty much in their teens now. As for 1st Gen, most people who were 6-7 when R/B/Y were released would probably almost be in their 30's by now. 3rd Gen in Japan started when I was about to turn 10, and I finally started playing my first technically-owned Pokemon game the following year.

It's still sad that Pokemon is not trying to market for older generations. If they really want to cash in on nostalgia, they should market some stuff towards the older demographic who started playing in 1st Gen.

I started playing Pokemon when I was ten (began at the end of Gen III).

Anyway. I expect most new alolan mons (if there are any) to be Gen II ones.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • New Alolan Formes?

In Gen VI, ORAS gave us new Mega Evolutions that weren't present in XY. So, who's to say they'll do the same thing with Alola Formes in an expanded Alola dex for US/UM?

My best guess is that the new Alola Formes will be focused only on Johto Pokémon because of VC release of Gold and Silver (minus Crystal because GBC games aren't available on VC yet). Crossing out Johto mons already in the Alola dex, the legendaries, and Johto mons with cross-gen evolutions and Mega Evolutions, that leaves us with the Sentret line, the Hoothoot line, the Natu line, the Hoppip line, Unown, the Wooper line, Girafarig, the Pineco line, Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Shuckle, the Teddiursa line, the Slugma line, the Remoid line, the Phanpy line, and Stantler for potential Alolan forms.

Which of these Johto mons listed do you think is most likely to receive an Alolan Forme, and what type would you suggest it to be?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I want an Alolan Scizor , Alolan Rapidash and Alolan Dragonite.

Varius

Very Problematic Human
    Years
  • It'd be kinda interesting to imagine what an Alolan Donphan would be like. It's certainly one of the top contenders for an Alolan form for me, anyway. :o
    Seeing as Donphan seems to be based on an Elephant, it's very likely that if we get an Alolan Donphan, it would be more based on an Asian Elephant. Thus, it'd be likely that it gets an additional Water or Grass typing.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I don't think that they will do Alolan forms based on solely Johto Pokemon. Some of the good ones already have Megas and Johto just doesn't have the nostalgia factor Kanto does.

Whilst say an Alolan Kingdra would be pretty cool and an Alolan Marill would be interesting few casual Pokemon fans are going to care if forgettable Pokemon like Dunsparce or Stantler get Alolan forms.

I understand that people want some long forgotten Pokemon to get something to make them relevant but an Alolan form for say Milotic would be far more exciting than say Ledian getting one.

pkmin3033

I honestly can't see them focusing on a single generation again for Alolan forms, either...not unless they're going to make six games based in Alola and focus on one a generation. Which would be ridiculous.

I think more popular Pokemon are liable to get Alolan forms this time around, with a smattering of obscure/random ones, much as it was with Mega Evolution. Although I doubt that Pokemon with Mega Evolutions will ever get Alolan forms, if only because they would then have to redesign the Mega Evolutions. Unless the games are set in the original RSE reality and that doesn't exist, anyway...

Which reminds me...I remember reading that Flygon was supposed to receive a Mega, but never did. Perhaps that design will be adapted and we'll get an Alolan Flygon? That could be interesting...

pkmin3033

I'm personally very skeptical that the obvious answer to the next Alola forms are going to be mostly popular past generation Pokemon. Golem isn't popular. Dugtrio isn't popular. Rattata and Raticate aren't popular. Exeggutor may be well known as a Pokemon, but I hesitate to say popular. This leads me to believe that Game Freak may be sticking with the trend and it'll be somewhat unknown Pokemon getting Alola forms with a few relatively popular ones (like when they did Alolan Raichu and Meowth) mixed in.
    Maybe they're not popular, but they're highly recognisable. Golem might not be popular, but god are Geodude literally everywhere. Rattata and Raticate aren't popular, but they're extremely common in every game they're in. Pandering to the fans of the original generation seems like relatively simple task from my perspective, because none of the Gen I Pokemon are "forgettable" in the same way a lot of Pokemon from later gens are.

This is what leads me to believe that they'll fall back on popularity of the most part; so people can actually recognise the differences and know what the Pokemon are, with the more obscure ones given Alolan forms for a little variety and to please the fans who want to see something different.

Popularity sells, after all. If they're not going to cater to a specific audience of Gen I fans, they're going to try and cater to the rest of the fans, and fans have favourites.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I would like to see non-Gen I Alola formes too.
    However, I often read that people are annoyed that only "Kanto" pokemon get Alola formes, or even that it's not believable that only pokemon from one region would need to adapt. The annoying, pedantic nerd in me takes issue with this line of thinking because technically Gen I pokemon don't only belong to one region. Like if you were a person from Johto Rattata would be a Johto pokemon for you, not a Kanto one. Likewise, someone from Unova would think of Marowak as one of theirs, etc.
    In fact, I am willing to bet that some Gen I pokemon aren't even native to Kanto. You couldn't find Mr Mime and Jynx there in the wild, but you can find them in other regions. Farfetch'd is supposed to have been hunted to near extinction in Kanto, but you can find it in Johto and Kalos so that good ol' Dux from Vermillion city was probably imported.
    You guys are still right about wanting non genI formes, though. Nerd out over.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Here's some ideas for Alolan forms on some of the Johto mons I've listed above:

Sentret - Electric
    Furret - Electric
    Hoothoot - Ice/Flying
    Noctowl - Ice/Ghost
    Girafarig - Normal/Dragon
    Magcargo - Steel/Rock
    Teddiursa - Dark
    Ursaring - Dark/Fairy
    Donphan - Fire/Grass
    Stantler - Normal/Psychic

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Very 50/50 on a new Alola form to happen, BUT hands down want another Alola form !

You see, it does take time for a species to adapt to changes to a new environment (99.9% its longer than 20 years) and the sequel will probably just be a few years ahead where Hau & others have matured so there will be not enough room for a whole new species to undergo a huge change.

BUT, knowing Pokémon's no sense of time, an Alola form could appear! Especially since Lillie went to Kanto & she may bring back some goodies that changed in Alola !!

Back