• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Switch (OLED) Model Revealed

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    The Switch XL you mean lol

It's... essentially the same thing, but with an ethernet port and a slightly larger screen for those who play portable. Think I'll pass.

Years
    i kiiiinda want to wait to see if there will be some sort of showcase on this. is it going to be more powerful or... ? i mean, the bigger screen is nice and all, and oled does mean sharper/more vibrant colours, but $350+ on that alone is a rather steep cost. @_@

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    I'm in the camp that the (lack of) changes don't justify a new model (even the screen itself is barely larger, so it can't pass off as an XL), but what I'm more worried about is how the silicon shortage is going to affect this one. It will undoubtedly sell like hot cakes just because it's Nintendo, but then it means that it's more enticing for scalpers and so the vicious cycle of scalping starts fresh again. It would make for good publicity I guess...

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Fretted about a hardware upgrade. Remembers the New 3DS. Led to New 3DS exclusive games. Disliked that.

Plays almost solely in handheld mode. Would appreciate this model. Cannot justify spending that kind of cash for a minor improvement, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Literally the only interesting thing is the LAN port lol
    I wonder if you can just buy the stand and use it for the normal switch with the LAN port.

pkmin3033

OK all mockery aside for a minute, an OLED screen is a significant step up from an LCD screen, so if you played primarily in handheld mode and care about visuals I could see this being a good upgrade.

But yeah, despite playing my Switch exclusively in handheld - I don't even know where my dock is actually - I won't be biting on this. The screen size isn't a large enough increase compared to the original model to grab me as worth the purchase, the kickstand does nothing for me because I don't play it on a tabletop, 64GB of internal memory is worthless when I can't even fit everything I own on a 400GB SD card (and even if I could, buying SD cards is cheaper than buying a new bloody console!) and if I *really* wanted white joycons then I'm sure I'd be able to pick them up separately...and I doubt they'll have fixed the drift issues anyway. I have three sets of Joycons now and I'm in no hurry for a fourth.

I'm happy enough with my original model and my Lite. Maybe if the former packs it in I'll consider this, because I don't trust Nintendo repairs and yeah, an OLED screen is so much better than an LCD screen. But my biggest take from this is that it's hilarious that THIS is the Switch Pro rumours bearing fruit. In a way that literally nobody wanted. It's glorious. Plus, now maybe everyone will *finally* shut up about the bloody Switch Pro.

Years
    wow this is super disappointing lol. even if i hadn't recently upgraded to the acnh switch last year, i wouldn't be tempted by this at all.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    Yeah... I think I'm completely fine with the one I still have. 😅

Good luck finding one of these though because they'll be just like PS5's and the new Xbox's are. Hard/Impossible to find and amassed by scalpers to resell on ebay at marked up prices 🤢

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Fretted about a hardware upgrade. Remembers the New 3DS. Led to New 3DS exclusive games. Disliked that.
    That's what I was thinking too. As very underwhelming as this is (and especially for me personally since I rarely use handheld mode), at least we're avoiding repeating that....for now, at least.

Years
    Just a larger screen and ethernet port...? Yeah, I'll also pass for sure. :( No complaints since it means more money saved??

The Switch XL you mean lol

It's... essentially the same thing, but with an ethernet port and a slightly larger screen for those who play portable. Think I'll pass.

Most of the improvements come from it being in hand held mode. The better "kickstand", improved audio, OLED instead of LCD, and it has a 64g drive now instead of 32g. It is also just an inbetween until Nintendo's new console, which is in the works, releases. I am going to get it for sure because I think it looks great in handheld.

Years
    Nintendo Switch (OLED) Model Revealed
    Nintendo

Aside from Oled being a nicer screen and the increased memory size + better constructed Switch Dock, kick stand, LAN connector and white motif; it's still the same switch and it's something nobody wants.

They still need to tackle their drift issue, yet they've been dodging drift for ages and no longer promoting their joycon replacement program as they are losing money on replacing the joycons in general.

Joystick drift is going to be around and there are ways to either fix it traditionally. But the infamy of this is that it's happening more often.

I still think they could technically tackle the problem by trying Sega's solution, using induction sensors and a magnet from the Dreamcast controllers. The console is about 18+ years old and the joystick still work like a new with little to no drift! :D The down side to the old joystick type is that there's no Stick buttons to click, though this can be worked around.

Last edited:
    Back