• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] No wild battles!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • I'm more interested to see how the Pokeball joycon will work. It's like actually catching a pokemon in real life. And I'm one of those people who dreamed of catching pokemon in real life. But then again, Pokemon are still not real yet. lmao

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • My fear right now is that since it's Pokémon go mechanics for catching is it possible for a master ball to miss if not thrown right cause that would suck lol

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2021
    I'm very interested in how GameFreak is going to pull this off, they have always been loyal to the strategic mechanics of Pokémon. By walking into a wild Pokémon and only giving us the ability to catch them with the Pokémon Go throwing mechanic. No HP bar or status effects anymore while catching a Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I'm very interested in how GameFreak is going to pull this off, they have always been loyal to the strategic mechanics of Pokémon. By walking into a wild Pokémon and only giving us the ability to catch them with the Pokémon Go throwing mechanic. No HP bar or status effects anymore while catching a Pokémon.

What's interesting is that you see in the catching options there is a "help" button. Do you think that could be used for item like pokedolls or food? I'm interested to see how it works.

Anyways, I don't see the big issue here. Colosseum and XD didn't have wild battles (for the most part) and they worked fine. They had a battle facility to grind at if necessary and it didn't make the game completely unplayable or anything like that. The game is probably gonna have a hard time to grind in, but other than that, I can't see it being a horrible thing and I don't mind having a change of pace.

Years
  • I love everything new that has been added but this seems to be a deal breaker. For most of the game it wouldn't matter, but there are plenty of rare Pokémon (Snorlax, the 3 legendary birds, Mewtwo) for whom tracking down and catching itself is the challenge. If these encounters too have the flicking Pokéball mechanics then that ruins a good chunk of the game.
    This idea would have been great inside the Safari Zone. For the rest of the Pokémon it isn't a big deal (except for its links to Pokémon Go, a game which is greatly dislike). But for these special Pokémon the Pokéball throwing mechanic would feel very unsatisfying,

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2023
    This is almost a deal breaker for me. It would take a lot of other cool things to overcome the lack of wild battles. A lot of the features look great, but this is not one of them. I love Pokemon and its story, but at this point Let's Go denies me the 2 main things I look for in games: story and challenge. As for the story part, I own 5 different Kanto titles and have completed each of them at least once. Playing through Kanto again will be nothing new for me. As for the difficulty, I feel the lack of wild battles makes the game irrevocably easier. As much as people complain how easy Sun and Moon were, I successfully made it much more challenging by self-imposing 2 rules: do not use the exp share and do not go out of your way to grind on wild battles. These rules made it so I was underlevelled enough that I was actually losing in Po Town despite around 20 years of experience. From what I can tell right now, Nuzlockes will not be as effective at increasing difficulty due to the increased likelihood of catching that first encounter. You'd have to change the rule to be the first Pokeball or something like that. Overall this game looks like it doesn't care about the veteran fans.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm indifferent. Wild battles are okay, but casually catching Pokemon won't be so bad? As long as they don't cut the getting exp after catching a Pokemon that was introduced in Gen 6, I won't care.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • At first I felt disappointed that there will be no wild Pokemon battles, and thought to myself "how the heck will I grind up my pokemon levels?".

But then I remembered that wild Pokemon training is honestly a thing of the past. Gone are the days where I spent 4 hours outside Goldenrod trying to train up my team so I could beat the Rocket boss in the radio tower without getting steamrolled. In SuMo my Pokemon were so severely over-leveled from trainer and trial battles alone that the only reason I went into the grass without a repel was to catch something, never to train.

So at this stage, so long as Pokemon level is still from trainers and gyms, I'm okay with no wild battles. If we need to use candies to level then I probably won't even buy the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I literally don't care about these games, but this news in unexpected and curious.

It's quite the big change.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • Hellooooo? The true-devs stated we oughtn't trouble ourselves, for wild battles WILL be there!
    Still, there's a certain long-forgotten side-series in which one would capture pokémon with amore
    rather than traditional brute force, and those games were quite worthy due to their mechanics, story, eventfulness, aesthetics and overall different context.
    Pity that few seemed to care, and the side-series, despite everything, met its vesper probably also because of that. *sad music*
    images

Considering Let's Go Pikachu&Eevee were initially intended not to have wild battles, they might turn out more interesting than anticipated.
    (and if they DON'T, consider all the other titles that have been released! ;) )

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2023
    Personally I liked the Ranger series, if that's what you're talking about. It had a different type of challenge. I was also wishing they'd make more, but now I realize that it likely won't happen because people these days are over the touch screen. However this raises an interesting point. If Let's Go has *different* wild encounters, I'd probably be interested in it. It would be something new I haven't done yet, even if the story ends up being the same as Yellow.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I really don't like how they took out wild battles, because now you cannot grind against wild Pokemon in order to level up one's team or gain experience, you can only do it against trainers, and who knows if they even have rematches or not. Not only that, but just mindlessly throwing balls at Pokemon without weakening them just takes away the challenge of trying to catch a Pokemon and not trying to faint against a legendary or something.

Besides, it doesn't help that they're trying FAR too hard to appeal to the Pokemon Go crowd by trying to make the game more like the app, and I think it's going to backfire in the end, especially considering how they seem to prioritize the connectivity to the app above all else.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I don't like that there are no wild battles. Just throwing Poke Balls over and over again will eventually get boring.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • New games don't have wild pokemon battles? So why buy it for that?

Why not just go back to gen 1 games and just go to safari. Done.

And no for me it's not a deal breaker, maybe if it was a new game, but the fact that this is a remake of of the original game, is just completely disappointing. The games success would be way better if they just redid yellow with the current graphics.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    I?ve never been a fan of wild encounters, but the surprise is also a somewhat exciting part of the game. I really hope they do something middle of the road with LG; I love that I can see what kind of Pok?mon is in the grass and choose to go after it, but I also hope that we?ll have something like the aggro Pok?mon in Alola that chase you in the grass. That way there?s still that surprise element if you?re off guard.

Years
  • I gotta admit... this pretty much killed the hype I had for this game.

Level grinding is going to be a massive pain. Unless Game Freak brings back the Vs. Seeker in some form so we could rematch trainers, then it's more than likely that some of our party members are gong to be lower leveled than we'd like, especially catcing new ones.

The big problem here is that, to put it bluntly, it's a huge waste of Pokeballs. Pokeballs cost money, which means you have to fight more Trainers. Again, not a problem without some sort of player rematch system. But if not? Then people are screwed, because how can you level up your Pokemon if you don't have Pokeballs or money or spend? Another issue is that you're not even guaranteed a catch, which means you have to use more Pokeballs, and then you have to replenish that stock.

Great Balls and Ultra Balls are going to become more of a rarity than they are currently which is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
    Back